PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson coaching tree

jzek
01-10-2015, 07:41 PM
Awful records of coaches who learned from the Zen Master:

http://i.imgur.com/lQuJZjV.jpg

Pushxx
01-10-2015, 07:47 PM
Yep. It's hard to replicate Phil's system.

SugarHill
01-10-2015, 07:57 PM
Yep. It's hard to replicate Phil's system.
the phil system - have two hall of fame players with amazing role players...profit :bowdown:

Shih508
01-10-2015, 07:58 PM
Honestly Phil has no coaching system. He's a product of David Stern

gts
01-10-2015, 08:03 PM
In all fairness to Hamblen (or Jackson?) a majority of his record was with the Bucks before he had ever worked under Jackson.... His second stint at head coach was during that horrid year for the Lakers with a cruddy roster and finishing out the season after Rudy T fell off the wagon and he never tried to install the Triangle offense

HOoopCityJones
01-10-2015, 08:06 PM
To be fair to all parties involved. The triangle isn't just difficult to learn, but to Teach as well. Just ask Derrick Fisher.

the phil system - have two hall of fame players with amazing role players...profit :bowdown:

This too. Phil doesn't get outta bed for anything that's not Top Ten all time.

senelcoolidge
01-10-2015, 11:28 PM
P. Jackson is so overrated. Good motivator, good at managing players, but the credit for his success and the triangle offense was his assistant coach Tex Winters.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/meet-man-behind-phil-triangle-offense-article-1.1722632

imdaman99
01-10-2015, 11:36 PM
I always thought he was overrated, more of an ego manager than a coach. Now I have to hope he has a clue being a GM. I'm sure he doesn't want to be known as a joke of GM so assuming he will be ok.

I always thought Larry Brown was better, and I guess Pop comes from Brown's system?

JimmyMcAdocious
01-10-2015, 11:41 PM
Brown has a great coaching tree. Pop, Calipari (UK coach), Gentry, Self (KU coach).

Coaching trees always interest me. Here's a good diagram starting from Naismith.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24590749/look-the-coaching-tree-from-naismith-to-popovich

Pretty much goes from Naismith, to Phog, to Coach Smith, to Larry Brown, to Pop, and now the up and comers (Bud, Kerr, and so on).

NLZ
01-11-2015, 06:55 AM
I'm confused

You guys are making this out to be a negative thing.. isn't it a positive thing? Lesser coaches around him.. means he did most of it himself?

SpanishACB
01-11-2015, 07:53 AM
meanwhile Pop's pupils...

Harison
01-11-2015, 09:01 AM
I always thought he was overrated, more of an ego manager than a coach. Now I have to hope he has a clue being a GM. I'm sure he doesn't want to be known as a joke of GM so assuming he will be ok.

I always thought Larry Brown was better, and I guess Pop comes from Brown's system?
This. Larry Brown was better than Phil, and Brown's pupil Pop is arguably a GOAT coach now. Red also has a good argument over Phil.

gigantes
01-11-2015, 09:17 AM
Phil Jackson coaching tree
he doesn't have a coaching tree. the whole premise is false. he was always more of a lone wolf whose whole approach to the game is not ever likely to be replicated. saying tex winter was behind his success or that the only reason for his success was his star players is nothing more than nonsense. no national writer or analyst would be ridiculous enough to say that, even if they personally disliked jackson.

and yea, winter and red holzman were both key to PJ's success (probably moreso holzman), but tex never won a championship without jackson AFAIK. shaq was his one and only star player to win a championship without him, and only did it once.

kobe is almost as much of a PITA and team-breaker as he is a talent, but jackson found a way to make it work with him (just). jordan and shaq had some of those same problems, but jackson made that work, too. many coaches have those kinds of superstar headaches, but nobody made it work better than him in the history of the game.

jackson won rings as a player, i believe he won rings in the CBA (albany patroons), and he has the record for NBA coaching rings as well. no top-ranked coach wins without good players, and that is a fact.

sure he may turn out to be a shitty executive, but considering what he's starting with, we won't know that for a couple years. you don't take over the NBA's most chronically underperforming franchise and turn it around in half a season.

triangleoffense
01-11-2015, 09:23 AM
What are some other coaching trees in the NBA? I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like the NFL

Height Freak
01-12-2015, 09:50 PM
he doesn't have a coaching tree. the whole premise is false. he was always more of a lone wolf whose whole approach to the game is not ever likely to be replicated. saying tex winter was behind his success or that the only reason for his success was his star players is nothing more than nonsense. no national writer or analyst would be ridiculous enough to say that, even if they personally disliked jackson.

and yea, winter and red holzman were both key to PJ's success (probably moreso holzman), but tex never won a championship without jackson AFAIK. shaq was his one and only star player to win a championship without him, and only did it once.

kobe is almost as much of a PITA and team-breaker as he is a talent, but jackson found a way to make it work with him (just). jordan and shaq had some of those same problems, but jackson made that work, too. many coaches have those kinds of superstar headaches, but nobody made it work better than him in the history of the game.

jackson won rings as a player, i believe he won rings in the CBA (albany patroons), and he has the record for NBA coaching rings as well. no top-ranked coach wins without good players, and that is a fact.

sure he may turn out to be a shitty executive, but considering what he's starting with, we won't know that for a couple years. you don't take over the NBA's most chronically underperforming franchise and turn it around in half a season.

Great post :applause:

gigantes
01-12-2015, 11:50 PM
Great post :applause:
:cheers: fact-based ppl gotta stick together. the realms of bullshit and paranoia are too vast to do otherwise.

midatlantic09
01-13-2015, 12:23 AM
I'm still not sure why people think Phil Jackson is some coaching wizard or something. He's always had MVP caliber talent to work with and has never coached a team that didn't have many good/great players.

In my opinion, he's the product of the guys who played for him and doesn't have some secret sauce that makes him an incredible coach.

Shih508
01-13-2015, 01:33 AM
PJax just picked his spot for being at right place at right time. He's no coaching wizard. In fact, i think he's just an opportunist who knows what Stern wants.

T_L_P
01-13-2015, 06:58 AM
I'm still not sure why people think Phil Jackson is some coaching wizard or something. He's always had MVP caliber talent to work with and has never coached a team that didn't have many good/great players.

In my opinion, he's the product of the guys who played for him and doesn't have some secret sauce that makes him an incredible coach.

I know I'm gonna sound like I'm hating on those stars, but what did they achieve without him?

9erempiree
01-13-2015, 07:05 AM

Shows you how good Phil is. To be as successful as Phil and have those bums working with you is nothing short of amazing.

Pop, on the other hand, has a great staff.

I<3NBA
01-13-2015, 08:37 AM

that's just incredibly stupid.

his ability to manage egos and get players to do what he wants is something not every coach has. it's a very rare commodity and an extremely great talent.

Michael Jordan, Shaq, and Kobe might never have won any rings if Phil Jackson didn't coach them. Shaq and Kobe especially. That duo was just so incompatible personality-wise only Jackson made it work.

and because Phil's success is due to this ability, he's coaching tree will suck. because you can't teach what he had.

Pop on the other hand succeeded by using a system. and that you can teach. which is why his coaching tree is so successful. because Pop's success can be passed down. systems and philosophy can be taught.

midatlantic09
01-13-2015, 08:37 AM
I know I'm gonna sound like I'm hating on those stars, but what did they achieve without him?

They likely would have won without him as coach. The coach isn't the one playing.

T_L_P
01-13-2015, 08:46 AM
They likely would have won without him as coach. The coach isn't the one playing.

Shaq's Lakers got swept in both 98 and 99 as the favourites.

The team, and more importantly its leader, showed no character or leadership at that time. Phil comes in and they 3-Peat (with basically the same team).

You can't just chalk it up to Phil having great players when the 4 of them (Jordan, Pipen, Shaq, Kobe) won just 1 ring between them without him (and Shaq was still being coached by an all time great). :confusedshrug:

treeztuhn
01-13-2015, 07:42 PM

Can someone make Greg Popovich coaching tree?