PDA

View Full Version : Why exactly did Utah let Millsap go?

hawkfan
01-12-2015, 05:45 PM
Last year he comes to Atlanta and makes the All-Star team.
This year, that should happen again.

Was there some internal problem with him? What exactly was it?

Mr. Jabbar
01-12-2015, 05:47 PM
inb4 racism

El Kabong
01-12-2015, 05:48 PM
Because they had 2 players taken at #3 in the draft that they wanted to give major minutes to and build around.

Also tanking.

AboutBuckets
01-12-2015, 05:49 PM
Back when Millsap was with them they had Big Al at the 5 and both Favors and Kanter coming off the bench not getting the minutes they needed to become the players Utah thought they could become (jury's still out on that). Just needed to loosen up the frontcourt rotation a bit

hawkfan
01-12-2015, 05:49 PM
Because they had 2 players taken at #3 in the draft that they wanted to give major minutes to and build around.

Also tanking.

Ok.
But they made the playoffs with Jefferson and Millsap.

I don't know. But it has worked out for the Hawks.

El Kabong
01-12-2015, 05:56 PM
Ok.

Hawks are in the East for one, and there wasn't any point in keeping Jefferson and Millsap just to barely squeek in to the 8th seed.

Not saying the moves they've made since then have been spectacular, but there's every chance they'd be in the same win/loss range now.

Myth
01-12-2015, 05:56 PM
All I know is I didn't want Utah matching Blazers' offer sheet years ago.

SwishSquared
01-12-2015, 06:19 PM
Ok.

Pretty sure the Spurs destroyed them in the first round that year. Like others said, they wanted to develop Favros + Kanter to see what they had in them. Team had a funky construction of young lotto picks and experienced vets. Hawks also have a top 5 coach and play in a weaker conference.

Xiao Yao You
01-12-2015, 07:30 PM
They blew it again. Demarre , Millsap, Matthews...

Supposedly Favors was going to be a defensive stopper and Millsap was undersized. He still has a lot to prove as far as even being in Millsap's league and makes more money at least until Paul gets paid big this summer. Guys like Millsap and Carroll are the type of guys you want to keep around especially on the cheap. Made no sense. Tanking is a joke. They'd be in the playoff hunt this year if they'd made a few moves and spent some money.

At least they have someone to build around again finally in Gobert. Would love to see Millsap, Demarre and Matthews around him.

GOBB
01-12-2015, 07:33 PM
Another Hawks thread :sleeping

ralph_i_el
01-12-2015, 07:34 PM
They were betting on Kanter and Favors being studs.

Which is dumb, because they way things are going, even if both of those guys pan out, they won't have enough shooting to be successful.

morbius
01-12-2015, 07:42 PM
Wonder why they didn't trade him. He sure had value, even just as a rental.

hawksdogsbraves
01-12-2015, 08:01 PM
It's also pretty stunning how cheap we got him.

Betting on Favors/Kanter certainly hasn't worked out, but I don't think the Jazz really had much of a choice. They weren't going to dump their young lottery bigs and build around a core that couldn't get them out of the first round.

Smoke117
01-12-2015, 08:03 PM
Favors has been playing well and he's only 23...he can still get a lot better.

Xiao Yao You
01-12-2015, 08:09 PM
They were betting on Kanter and Favors being studs.

Which is dumb, because they way things are going, even if both of those guys pan out, they won't have enough shooting to be successful.

They definitely need shooting but Gobert is finally someone to build around. It's the brightest things have looked in Utah since Stockton and Malone. They are already showing signs of being successful when he's in the game. Need some more pieces but they are finally headed somewhere again it appears.

Wonder why they didn't trade him. He sure had value, even just as a rental.

Because the cap space was better than taking on players/contracts they didn't want probably.

It's also pretty stunning how cheap we got him.

Yeah that was the toughest part. I could see letting him go if he was overpaid but he's one of the best bargains in the league as he has been his whole career. That will change this summer I'm sure.

Betting on Favors/Kanter certainly hasn't worked out,

Remains to be seen. They are basically the same age as Millsap was when they drafted him.

but I don't think the Jazz really had much of a choice. They weren't going to dump their young lottery bigs and build around a core that couldn't get them out of the first round.

They had plenty of choice. Millsap/Favors/Kanter would have worked and everyone could have had plenty of minutes. You just don't let guys like that go. They always played better when Demarre was in the game too no matter what his box score looked like. Those are the guys you keep. And they didn't shoot 3's even for the Jazz!

Xiao Yao You
01-12-2015, 08:10 PM
Favors has been playing well and he's only 23...he can still get a lot better.

But he might have to go this summer with the emergence of Gobert.

Shih508
01-12-2015, 09:39 PM
When I first saw Millsap in his rookie reason I thought this guy could become their next Karl Malone, didn't know why it didn't pan out that way.

hawksdogsbraves
01-12-2015, 09:42 PM
When I first saw Millsap in his rookie reason I thought this guy could become their next Karl Malone, didn't know why it didn't pan out that way.

Millsap was a second round pick who didn't even play that much as a rookie, if you saw that he'd be a future all-star back then it was a still a pretty good call.

Thinking he would turn into an all time great PF might have been a little over the top though.

Xiao Yao You
01-12-2015, 09:45 PM
Because he's not the physical specimen Malone was. He's worked as hard to get where he's at though.

Xiao Yao You
01-12-2015, 09:47 PM
Millsap was a second round pick who didn't even play that much as a rookie, if you saw that he'd be a future all-star back then it was a still a pretty good call.

Thinking he would turn into an all time great PF might have been a little over the top though.

He was a key part of the rotation. In 2008 he put similar numbers as Boozer when Boozer was injured yet again. He played like an all-star that year.

bdreason
01-13-2015, 04:00 AM
The problem is they let him walk and got nothing for him, instead of trading him at the deadline. I believe they let Jefferson walk for nothing as well.

andremiller07
01-13-2015, 04:09 AM
To build around a worthless piece of shit in poor man's Carlos Boozer Enes Kantar who Jazz fans on here have been dick riding for years when the reality is he's a massive scrub who might be the worst defender in the NBA.

305Baller
01-13-2015, 04:34 AM
Some people thought Favors was going to be better than Cousins.

Al Jeff and Milsap is legit. Too bad, Jazz.

El Kabong
01-13-2015, 05:43 AM
The problem is they let him walk and got nothing for him, instead of trading him at the deadline. I believe they let Jefferson walk for nothing as well.
Not completely true because they used the free capspace to take on the Warriors crapola and got 2 1st round draft picks for it in return. In the end they weren't likely to get much different in return and would have likely had to take on some longer term salary if they traded them at the deadline.

Xiao Yao You
01-13-2015, 10:22 AM
To build around a worthless piece of shit in poor man's Carlos Boozer Enes Kantar who Jazz fans on here have been dick riding for years when the reality is he's a massive scrub who might be the worst defender in the NBA.
I'd take Kanter over Boozer or his mentor Jefferson any day. Most in Jazzland don't like him. Hardly a scrub especially as he gains his confidence from 3. Once he's hitting those regularly he becomes one of the rarest commodities in the game. His defense is getting better. He's certainly better than Boozer or Jefferson at D and his game improves everyday from his hard work. Did he steal your woman or something? :confusedshrug:

Some people thought Favors was going to be better than Cousins.
At least defensively and he's not the great rim protector he was made out to be. Actually a better offensive player. He has to prove he can guard the perimeter now with Gobert around or he'll have to be traded.

Al Jeff and Milsap is legit. Too bad, Jazz.

Millsap every team in the league would love on their team. Jefferson few would want. I'm sure glad he's gone. One of the worst deals the Jazz ever made was getting him. Koufos, 2 1sts and a huge TPE.

beastee
01-13-2015, 10:30 AM
His stats in Utah were just decent. He needed a better system for his style and Atlanta Is perfect. Problem is that Atlanta needs a true center to put horford at the 4, where he could probably be an all star. Millsap to me is a great worker and has a great touch but will never be a max guy. Not sure if the hawks will commit to 5 years of him with Teague money coming soon as well.

El Kabong
01-13-2015, 11:35 AM
His stats in Utah were just decent. He needed a better system for his style and Atlanta Is perfect. Problem is that Atlanta needs a true center to put horford at the 4, where he could probably be an all star. Millsap to me is a great worker and has a great touch but will never be a max guy. Not sure if the hawks will commit to 5 years of him with Teague money coming soon as well.
It'll be a tough decision for the Hawks. At his current deal hes a great player to have, but if he wants a major raise than it'do be tough to keep him. I'd probably offer him 3 years/$30 million and hope he takes it.

Xiao Yao You
01-13-2015, 12:33 PM
Can't see them getting him at that price again. His game has came a long ways since he took 9.5 million 2 years ago. As one of the premier stretch 4's the demand for him will be even greater now. Jazz better go get him if it's at that price. Plus with the cap going up after next year that should get him even more money.

hawkfan
01-13-2015, 01:05 PM
It'll be a tough decision for the Hawks. At his current deal hes a great player to have, but if he wants a major raise than it'do be tough to keep him. I'd probably offer him 3 years/$30 million and hope he takes it.

No way he takes that.
4 years, 60 million, with the cap going up.
The Hawks have cap space to keep him.