PDA

View Full Version : Tristan Thompson Just Turned Down a 4/52M Deal

HurricaneKid
01-14-2015, 03:52 PM
Being a friend of a friend of LeBron's is insanely profitable.

How is this possible?? They guy is such a bad offensive player they had him shoot with his opposite hand several years into his career. Enter LeBron. Now 13M/ isn't good enough.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24961756

Mr.Kite
01-14-2015, 03:53 PM
he's gonna bolt.

he ain't playing this blatt, love, bran triangle.

HurricaneKid
01-14-2015, 03:58 PM
he's gonna bolt.

He can't bolt. He is a RFA.

Why not just let him see what is our there and match the 4/24 deal that would be the best he could get on the open market.

El Kabong
01-14-2015, 04:00 PM
Seriously? He turned that down? Is he crazy enough to think he can get more or does he just really not want to play in Cleveland?

Mr.Kite
01-14-2015, 04:00 PM

Why not just let him see what is our there and match the 4/24 deal that would be the best he could get on the open market.

remember one time when lamar requested Donald sterling to not match the contract he received in miami.

can happen here

HurricaneKid
01-14-2015, 04:04 PM
Seriously? He turned that down? Is he crazy enough to think he can get more or does he just really not want to play in Cleveland?

LeBron is (by extention) his agent. I guess LeBron told him he could get all his boys more. He isn't trying to leave because if the Cavs are willing to pay him that there isn't anything another team would offer him they wouldn't match.

LeBron the GM doing massive damage, again, to his legacy as a player.

GOBB
01-14-2015, 04:14 PM
When does the new tv deal kick in? Could it be possible he is waiting for that to cash in rather than lock himself in under this CBA?

Twiens
01-14-2015, 04:14 PM
That's ridiculous, probably just wants out of Cleveland.

Velocirap31
01-14-2015, 04:17 PM
Here comes another Latrell Sprewell situation.

Heavincent
01-14-2015, 04:20 PM
That's a ton of money for a garbage man...strange that he turned it down. He's a decent player but he doesn't have a ton of upside imo.

GOBB
01-14-2015, 04:23 PM
Same was said about Deng and Iggy turning down deals and they got more money than what they left on table. So, who knows the motives behind this.

gasolina
01-14-2015, 04:26 PM

There's a good article out there on how matching RFA's aren't as easy as it was a few years ago.

Take Phoenix and Bledsoe for example. They had to overpay just to keep him happy. Who knows how this all plays out to Dragic's extension?

Rooster
01-14-2015, 04:30 PM
Being a friend of a friend of LeBron's is insanely profitable.

How is this possible?? They guy is such a bad offensive player they had him shoot with his opposite hand several years into his career. Enter LeBron. Now 13M/ isn't good enough.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24961756

I don't want to jump into conclusions because something not right about it. The money offered is just too good for him to pass. Is the money all guaranteed though or there's a team option after 2 years? Sometimes those things can make you think twice.

NattyPButter
01-14-2015, 04:33 PM
lolz TT you're such an idiot if you think you're gonna get more then that. He's not even worth close to what he was offered anyways. I bet his shot has been blocked more then anyone else in the league since he's been in the league.

Basketbolero
01-14-2015, 04:35 PM
Same was said about Deng and Iggy turning down deals and they got more money than what they left on table. So, who knows the motives behind this.
Except you're wrong, at least on Deng's case. Dude felt offended by a 3/30 offer from the Bulls, got traded and ended up taking 2/20 from the Heat to replace Lebron, hardly an ideal scenario.

He even mocked the offer after the trade:
http://www.fearthesword.com/2014/1/22/5335480/luol-deng-mocks-chicago-bulls-3-year-30-million-contract-extension

As for Iguodala, are you talking about his previous contract in Philly? Because he sure as hell left money on the table to join the Warriors.

Basketbolero
01-14-2015, 04:40 PM
I don't want to jump into conclusions because something not right about it. The money offered is just too good for him to pass. Is the money all guaranteed though or there's a team option after 2 years? Sometimes those things can make you think twice.
I think players just don't want to commit beyond 2016, trusting the TV deal will be worth it. We might see a bunch of 1 and 2 year deals signed in the offseason, which honestly would be good for the league.

Rooster
01-14-2015, 04:45 PM
I think players just don't want to commit beyond 2016, trusting the TV deal will be worth it. We might see a bunch of 1 and 2 year deals signed in the offseason, which honestly would be good for the league.

True but this is his first big contract. Any big injury and poof he could be the next Robert Swift.

HurricaneKid
01-14-2015, 04:51 PM
Lets just say Cle holds the line on these increasing demands (all of which have led to disastrous results). And cuts off LBJs "privilege". The market is going to call this guy Seraphin/Humphries/Bass and pay him 4-6M (which is more than all those guys are making). He has to get another team, without LeBron's influence, to pay him 2-3X his value to get this deal.

I just don't understand.

imnew09
01-14-2015, 04:52 PM
Seriously, whats there to do in Cleveland? :facepalm

imdaman99
01-14-2015, 05:13 PM
I would play in the North Pole for $1 million :lol

These guys are spoiled.

Knicks101
01-14-2015, 05:18 PM
He's probably signing with the Hawks.

andremiller07
01-14-2015, 05:22 PM
About the only thing to go right for the Cavs this year, TT is a massive scrub aside from rebounding the ball.

13 mil a year for a back up big man are you kidding me?

edrick
01-14-2015, 05:25 PM
I hope this backup doesn't believes that he deserves more than 13 million to grab offensive rebounds.

NoGunzJustSkillz
01-14-2015, 06:06 PM
When does the new tv deal kick in? Could it be possible he is waiting for that to cash in rather than lock himself in under this CBA?
I don't think he has a choice, he's a RFA.

Levity
01-14-2015, 06:08 PM
I don't think he has a choice, he's a RFA.

is he an RFA after next season, or after this? Because couldnt he potentially take the QO (what moose monroe did) and then be an UFA at the start of the new cba

GOBB
01-14-2015, 06:26 PM
Except you're wrong, at least on Deng's case. Dude felt offended by a 3/30 offer from the Bulls, got traded and ended up taking 2/20 from the Heat to replace Lebron, hardly an ideal scenario.

He even mocked the offer after the trade:
http://www.fearthesword.com/2014/1/22/5335480/luol-deng-mocks-chicago-bulls-3-year-30-million-contract-extension

As for Iguodala, are you talking about his previous contract in Philly? Because he sure as hell left money on the table to join the Warriors.

I'm talking about their first contracts they recieved. Do your homework on that then come back to me. So quick to "wrong" someone.

Your next reply should be apologizing. I'm accepting those nowadays

DukeDelonte13
01-14-2015, 06:31 PM

same sh*t that there is to do in any other midwestern city. There is no ocean and it gets cold in the winter but we somehow manage to survive over here :oldlol:

Burgz V2
01-14-2015, 06:33 PM
why would he sign it? I hate when people label a guy an 'energy' guy just because he plays the game as hard as he can, and they never run a god damn play for him. "Role player?" More like too many egos and only one ball. I hope he leaves.

DukeDelonte13
01-14-2015, 06:34 PM
no surprise. He's going to test out the market for him and see what he can get. Probably not much more than that. If some team offers him substantially more money than so be it. Cavs should let him go.

DukeDelonte13
01-14-2015, 06:36 PM
why would he sign it? I hate when people label a guy an 'energy' guy just because he plays the game as hard as he can, and they never run a god damn play for him. "Role player?" More like too many egos and only one ball. I hope he leaves.

he's better than people make him out to be on here but he's not a guy you want giving possessions to on a routine basis. He has poor touch and poor offensive instincts. He can force his way into some good positions and go to work but he's not a reliable source for points.

He's a good defender, great worker, good character guy that any team could use.

Basketbolero
01-14-2015, 06:39 PM
I'm talking about their first contracts they recieved. Do your homework on that then come back to me. So quick to "wrong" someone.

Your next reply should be apologizing. I'm accepting those nowadays
:oldlol: You're right there, my bad.

Hardly similar scenarios. By the time Deng passed on his contract, everyone expected him to become a star at some stage. No one expects Tristan Thompson to be more than a fringe starter, the guy should be thankful if his caeer can compare to PJ Brown's by the time he retires.

G-train
01-14-2015, 07:04 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10568992&postcount=7

Close. Didn't foresee the Mozgov trade.

G-train
01-14-2015, 07:05 PM

Hardly similar scenarios. By the time Deng passed on his contract, everyone expected him to become a star at some stage. No one expects Tristan Thompson to be more than a fringe starter, the guy should be thankful if his caeer can compare to PJ Brown's by the time he retires.

Thompson could definitely be a good starter on a good team.

Basketbolero
01-14-2015, 07:22 PM
Thompson could definitely be a good starter on a good team.
Nah, Thompson would be the guy you put next to your scoring big to do the dirty work for him, if anything. For those to start on good teams they have to have at least some offensive skill too, see Varejao (prime), Noah or, as I said, PJ Brown. He is 6'9 so he can't really play much center and he would have trouble with smaller lineups or stretch 4s as he can't make them pay down low. He's better suited as your first big off the bench, great rebounder but a complimentary player, definitely not a 13mill+ player, not hating.

G-train
01-14-2015, 08:13 PM
Nah, Thompson would be the guy you put next to your scoring big to do the dirty work for him, if anything. For those to start on good teams they have to have at least some offensive skill too, see Varejao (prime), Noah or, as I said, PJ Brown. He is 6'9 so he can't really play much center and he would have trouble with smaller lineups or stretch 4s as he can't make them pay down low. He's better suited as your first big off the bench, great rebounder but a complimentary player, definitely not a 13mill+ player, not hating.

So Thompson doesn't have 'at least some offensive skill'? He can play the pick and roll, can turn and face on the block, hit the offensive glass, finish well off penetration...
He is 6'9 with huge wingspan, it's never effected his play.
PJ Brown was not a very effective offensive player. TT has more skill than him already. If he plays like he does now and doesn't develop any further he will have better career than PJ.

He could start on a playoff team now and average a double double, and he has further potential.
That will be worth at least what he turned down in the new CBA.

ralph_i_el
01-14-2015, 08:43 PM
Why would you turn that down :facepalm That's Javale McGee type money right there.

Maybe he doesn't want to be known as a horrible contract?

RoseCity07
01-14-2015, 08:44 PM
Dumbest move he's ever going to make. He is worth about 7 million a year. Maybe 8. Dude is solid on the boards but he is not a star that can carry a team. Solid bench player.

GOBB
01-14-2015, 08:52 PM

:cheers:

I'm not quite sure I would say hardly similar in that Tristan is labelled as a big man. And lettuce be honest, those dudes get overpaid even when me and you say they shouldn't. Cavs offered him $52mil/4yr so that tells me if they value him at that price? Who is to say other teams wouldnt follow suit or offer more? There will be plenty of teams with cap space to spend. Some no intentions to dish out that kind of cash (Sixers) but a team could sit with cash and see Tristan as more of a player that you listed him as just now.
Last two seasons in Clev he gave them 12 and 9. Only 23 at that.

Or he could be overvaluing himself like Lance did and not see the offers he expects offseason. I don't know. I'm not going to rule out or be surprised if he were to get a contract better than this. When it comes to big men in the NBA with new contracts on the horizon, expect the unexpected. I would have took this money and ran the fastest 40 time in history. But hey

That's just my 2 cents that turned into a long ass post. :lol

MiseryCityTexas
01-14-2015, 09:12 PM
he's gonna bolt.

Thompson sucks anyway. He's just a rich man's Kelvin Cato.

red1
01-14-2015, 09:14 PM
wow. just take the money and run

SwishSquared
01-14-2015, 09:14 PM
Fake conspiracy theory:
LBJ is so good at convincing guys to do what he wants that he'll have TT wait out on getting a deal done until later & Love won't opt out this summer. This ensures the Cavs will be below the tax apron, so they can use the Haywood contract to complete a S&T. Who knows, might be part of the motivation behind some of the stuff that's come out recently.

yeaaaman
01-14-2015, 09:29 PM
he's better than people make him out to be on here but he's not a guy you want giving possessions to on a routine basis. He has poor touch and poor offensive instincts. He can force his way into some good positions and go to work but he's not a reliable source for points.

He's a good defender, great worker, good character guy that any team could use.

He got his chances last year. I can't say with any conviction how he is worth more than $13 mil

MiseryCityTexas
01-14-2015, 09:43 PM
Although he's a great offensive rebounder, he's still a bum.

Dro
01-14-2015, 09:51 PM
I would play in the North Pole for $1 million :lol

These guys are spoiled.
This......

ABG
01-14-2015, 09:56 PM
what an idiot.