PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets Trade Ideas + Rebuilding: Too Drastic?

SwishSquared
01-15-2015, 04:34 PM
It's been reported that the Nuggets are shopping some of their vets to gauge value and perhaps go into tank mode. I thought of a potential plan to rebuild the team and was wondering if this would be too drastic of a plan. Here's a big, 4-team trade:
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=leszklc

Denver receives a top 10 protected 2015 first from Portland, a top 7 protected 2015 first from Charlotte, and OKC makes their pick only top 10 protected (instead of top 18, as it was in the Waiters trade. DEN now owns that pick via the Mozgov trade).

Charlotte upgrades at PF and potentially downgrades at back up SG in Harris, but they also get to dump Lance. I think they'd rather get the 8 seed again instead of going back to lottery, but that's just my feeling.

OKC improves its starting lineup and weakens its backup bigs. With this trade, they do get closer to being under the tax. They'd just need to salary dump Jackson mostly. They'd finally get a 2-way SG that they can (presumably) trust to play big mins in the playoffs.

Portland improves its bench by bringing in Chandler. He's mostly Batum insurance, but Chandler's versatility will allow him to play multiple positions.

This means that Denver would go into tank mode and potentially have up to 4 first rounders. They can play all these young guys to see if any would be in their long term plans (like Vonleh, who's barely gotten any time due to injury and positional logjam). If Vonleh seems like a keeper, then Denver can focus on improving its wings and round out its bench.

I doubt they out-tank some other teams, but with their likely mid-lotto pick, they can get one of top SG/SFs, then package some combo of 2 of their other first rounders + second rounder(s) + cash to move up. Imagine if they could end up with Hezonja, Oubre, maybe another backup big, and a combo guard (in 2nd round). They'd also be sitting on like $45M worth of expiring contracts. Their cap sheet in 2016 when cap explodes would have rookie deals, RFAs, and Lawson. Could pursue multiple max players.

Potential 2015-2016 rotation (of just young guys):
Lawson-Hezonja-Oubre-Vonleh-Nurkic
M. Paige-Hairston-PJ3-McGary-Dakari Johnson

Expiring deals in summer 2016: Nelson, Foye, Lance, Gallo, Hickson, McGee

Myth
01-15-2015, 04:36 PM
I'm cool with it for Portland.

kurple
01-15-2015, 04:59 PM
no thanks. only thing i like is Vonleh and the charlotte pick

i would think both Denver and CHA says no, pretty quickly

Portland pick will be in the 27-30 range. They would have to throw in McCullum to make it worth wile

i actually think a trade will happen between Denver and Charlotte, but i wonder what we will get back

kurple
01-15-2015, 05:01 PM
its not in our DNA to tank. we're not pvssys

We're undefeated since the mozgov trade.

Sure they are listening to offers for WC and AA. And will most likely take the best on the table. But they aint blowing it up. Giving up really nice pieces (Arthur, Gee, Harris) for nothing just to lose games

SwishSquared
01-15-2015, 05:04 PM
no thanks. only thing i like is Vonleh and the charlotte pick

i would think both Denver and CHA says no, pretty quickly

Portland pick will be in the 27-30 range. They would have to throw in McCullum to make it worth wile

i actually think a trade will happen between Denver and Charlotte, but i wonder what we will get back
Thanks for your input. Was just trying to think how to totally tear down the squad to tank since it doesn't seem to on the upswing quite yet. The Portland trade would basically be to swap Chandler in order to draft anther big or package that pick to move up in the lotto again.

Charlotte likely says no, but that's assuming they'll keep Lance around for next 18 months.

EDIT:
Didn't I put that you guys get PJ Hairston? He's bigger and a better shooter than Harris. GH is a better defender no doubt but isn't he like 6'2"? Idk if you felt great about such a small backcourt. He's a nice bench piece imo though.

SwishSquared
01-15-2015, 05:08 PM
its not in our DNA to tank. we're not pvssys

We're undefeated since the mozgov trade.

Sure they are listening to offers for WC and AA. And will most likely take the best on the table. But they aint blowing it up. Giving up really nice pieces (Arthur, Gee, Harris) for nothing just to lose games
Keeping Brian Shaw says otherwise lol. Really though, who do you think you'll hire to replace Shaw? I doubt he's coming back. I think Malone's a good fit. What do you think?

kurple
01-15-2015, 05:15 PM
i'm thinking josh kroenke and the fo wants to give shaw a shot to coach a team that actually fits his style of play. and not a team that was tailormade for george karl

but i wouldnt be upset if they fire him. as long as they stay far away from karl and MDA