PDA

View Full Version : Joel Embiid's work ethic in question in Sixers organization; up to 300 lbs

Ariza4three
01-18-2015, 11:40 AM
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20150118_Inside_the_Sixers__Questions_surround_Emb iid_s_conditioning__maturity.html

Dr.J4ever
01-18-2015, 11:46 AM
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20150118_Inside_the_Sixers__Questions_surround_Emb iid_s_conditioning__maturity.html

Yes, I saw this earlier. The guy is bored. He wants to play, but yes he needs to discipline himself and respect his trainers and coaches more.

He'll be okay.

chocolatethunder
01-18-2015, 12:21 PM
I don't sweat this at all. He's young, he's hurt and his brother died unexpectedly. It's life and it's hard to expect a kid to behave as an adult. It's difficult to stay positive and focused when the only exercise you can do is to run on an Alter-G or take long walks. Him having a blow up with the strength coach? Again, he's young and immature. We aren't talking about a kid who's going out blowing rails of coke on the weekends, we're talking about a kid who's eating too much more than likely because he's depressed he can't play and that his bro died. Normal shit.

ProfessorMurder
01-18-2015, 12:26 PM
Who cares? He's out for the season and can't run anyway... Plus that family shit. You wouldn't give it 100% either.

As long as he's not breaking bones or doing drugs he's fine.

GOBB
01-18-2015, 12:37 PM
I don't sweat this at all. He's young, he's hurt and his brother died unexpectedly. It's life and it's hard to expect a kid to behave as an adult. It's difficult to stay positive and focused when the only exercise you can do is to run on an Alter-G or take long walks. Him having a blow up with the strength coach? Again, he's young and immature. We aren't talking about a kid who's going out blowing rails of coke on the weekends, we're talking about a kid who's eating too much more than likely because he's depressed he can't play and that his bro died. Normal shit.

He's eating papa johns pizza 1/2 off whenever Sixers score 90 :lol

chocolatethunder
01-18-2015, 12:42 PM
He's eating papa johns pizza 1/2 off whenever Sixers score 90 :lol
:roll:

CelticBaller
01-18-2015, 12:44 PM
so the dude is going to be stronger now? damn

senelcoolidge
01-18-2015, 12:58 PM
Well you can't make excuses. This is the first time I've heard something like this of him, so I'll give him the pass. But if it happens again than it's a sign of a player with poor work ethic and these types of players usually end up not being good or just underachievers. You are paying a guy lots of money to be a professional, I don't care how old he is he better be disciplined.

DukeDelonte13
01-18-2015, 01:14 PM
if this guy can stay healthy he'll be a monster. I don't think there were any work ethic concerns while he was at kansas.

chocolatethunder
01-18-2015, 01:14 PM
Well you can't make excuses. This is the first time I've heard something like this of him, so I'll give him the pass. But if it happens again than it's a sign of a player with poor work ethic and these types of players usually end up not being good or just underachievers. You are paying a guy lots of money to be a professional, I don't care how old he is he better be disciplined.
in college he was thought of as having an excellent worker who studied film constantly and who was always in the gym. So, that's part of why I don't worry.

jongib369
01-18-2015, 02:51 PM
14% body fat

LoneyROY7
01-18-2015, 02:58 PM
Dude's just bulking up. Once he's back in the gym hard and working towards basketball shape, he'll be a monster.

T_L_P
01-18-2015, 03:02 PM
http://i.imgur.com/zlrDx7U.jpg

Yeah, he's out of shape. Philly probably leaked this themselves to try and get him back on track.

HomieWeMajor
01-18-2015, 03:06 PM
I see that he has taken my advice to add 50 pounds of fat/muscle to become like Shaq. :applause:

Asiantastic
01-18-2015, 03:06 PM
if this guy can stay healthy he'll be a monster. I don't think there were any work ethic concerns while he was at kansas.

Every time I hear this statement with regards to centers, I think of Greg Oden.

:(

ImKobe
01-18-2015, 03:09 PM

Yeah, he's out of shape. Philly probably leaked this themselves to try and get him back on track.

He's in off-season mode. Dude won't be playing until next year, he has over 9 months before the new season begins. It's a non-issue.

T_L_P
01-18-2015, 03:13 PM
He's in off-season mode. Dude won't be playing until next year, he has over 9 months before the new season begins. It's a non-issue.

Yeah, not a huge deal. Best the team intervene now and keep him focused though.

ImKobe
01-18-2015, 03:17 PM
Yeah, not a huge deal. Best the team intervene now and keep him focused though.

That's true, and they will, but I wouldn't use this to jump to conclusions about him not being committed to being a great player in the league. We all know how out of shape some of these guys can be during the off-season, it doesn't take too much time to get back in shape for athletes like them.

Looking at Embiid's character though, he seems to be too care-free at times, sorta reminds me of Shaq when he got fat, but he had a three-peat under his belt and was great regardless.

FireDavidKahn
01-18-2015, 07:38 PM
Gaining 50 pounds in less then 7 month is a HUGE concern.

Cocaine80s
01-18-2015, 07:41 PM
Dellevedova + Thompson for Embiid

HurricaneKid
01-18-2015, 07:54 PM
Dude has enormous back AND foot problems. Adding 50 LBs is NOT a good thing.

ralph_i_el
01-18-2015, 07:59 PM
Gaining 50 pounds in less then 7 month is a HUGE concern.

^This

Add a bunch of weight and what does it hurt? Back, knees, feet.

Oh, he already has back and foot issues? :banghead:

BigMacAttack
01-18-2015, 08:00 PM
Got a foot injury doesnt he? Dud should be very careful carrying extra weight.

SexSymbol
01-18-2015, 08:01 PM
Why would they call out a guy who's brother died not so long ago

GOBB
01-18-2015, 08:05 PM
Why would they call out a guy who's brother died not so long ago

Philly media, what do you expect?

SexSymbol
01-18-2015, 08:09 PM
Now if he's like this in the summer of 2015, sure, blame him all you want.
But you leave the guy alone for now god damnit

oarabbus
01-18-2015, 11:46 PM

That's not even that bad. Even worst case scenario, there are guys who come into pre-season fat and get into shape over the season. And that's WORST CASE scenario. His brother died less than a year ago. The grieving phase for someone close doesn't just evaporate after 1 month...

Cocaine80s
01-18-2015, 11:48 PM

Wtf, is he over 7 ft tall?

Dude makes Noel look small even with the haircut

sundizz
01-18-2015, 11:54 PM
Yeah, his brother just died and he's hurt and living in a foreign country. 50 pounds for someone his size is like 15 pounds for someone 6 ft tall. Though it is terrible for his back/body Philly needs to try to help him out in this tough situation not call him out about work ethic etc. Getting back from injury is 90% just waiting it out for the body to recover properly.

JimmyMcAdocious
01-18-2015, 11:54 PM

Man boobs. Makes Melo look like Corey Brewer.

BigMacAttack
01-18-2015, 11:59 PM
I get that he is injured and bored and probably frustrated aswell as losing his brother but the thing is if he isnt rehabbing this foot injury properly and then compounding that but putting on weight he could seriously risk a recurring injury that could be career threatening, considering there were already concerns over his back i'd be taking this seriously if I were Philly.

coin24
01-19-2015, 12:02 AM
So is his foot actually better and they're sitting him the season to keep tanking?

christian1923
01-19-2015, 12:04 AM
Yeah, his brother just died and he's hurt and living in a foreign country. 50 pounds for someone his size is like 15 pounds for someone 6 ft tall. Though it is terrible for his back/body Philly needs to try to help him out in this tough situation not call him out about work ethic etc. Getting back from injury is 90% just waiting it out for the body to recover properly.
He's not living in a foreign country :facepalm he's living in America right now:facepalm :facepalm

hawksdogsbraves
01-19-2015, 12:05 AM
He's not living in a foreign country :facepalm he's living in America right now:facepalm :facepalm

Well if he were in Africa he sure as hell wouldn't be gaining 50 lbs :rolleyes:

BigMacAttack
01-19-2015, 12:11 AM

Legit not sure if serious.

oarabbus
01-19-2015, 12:23 AM

What? :lol

...15lbs for a 6ft person is 17.5lbs for a 7ft person, mathematically (lbs per foot)... that's literally the ratio

That being said people are def trippin too hard, Embiid is gonna be alright.

plowking
01-19-2015, 12:29 AM

...15lbs for a 6ft person is 17.5lbs for a 7ft person, mathematically (lbs per foot)... that's literally the ratio

Doesn't really work like that.

He has longer limbs, etc. All of it holds a significant amount of weight, particularly your legs.

CavaliersFTW
01-19-2015, 12:55 AM
Guys like Charles Barkley and Bob Lanier had weight "problem" at the start of their careers as well. Their careers panned out well. He's probably bored out of his freaking mind not playing and limited on available methods for conditioning that won't agitate his foot, there might be nothing to worry about he could shed weight once he gets into the flow of his career. Might just be journalists looking for a story.

CavaliersFTW
01-19-2015, 12:58 AM

Have you never heard of the cube law?

That guy's estimate was actually way closer to reality than yours.

On an X Y and Z axis, every % of a dimension you stretch in one direction, the % of volume/mass increases 3 fold.

So if you increase in height 10%, you increase in mass 30% assuming all proportions variables stay equal.

Cube law. Make sense?

JohnFreeman
01-19-2015, 01:07 AM
Dude will lose that weight in a couple of weeks

oarabbus
01-19-2015, 01:37 AM
Doesn't really work like that.

He has longer limbs, etc. All of it holds a significant amount of weight, particularly your legs.

Have you never heard of the cube law?

That guy's estimate was actually way closer to reality than yours.

On an X Y and Z axis, every % of a dimension you stretch in one direction, the % of volume/mass increases 3 fold.

So if you increase in height 10%, you increase in mass 30% assuming all proportions variables stay equal.

Cube law. Make sense?

First, I'm aware of the square-cube law but totally blanked on it until you mentioned it. Props for that.

But cubing something is not the same as increasing it 30%... check your math on that

The cube law (from wiki) states: http://i.imgur.com/Qk1oIwt.png

And Density is mass per unit volume - so with a bit of algebra we could say mass2 = mass1 (l2/l1)^3

(7ft/6ft) ^3 = an increase of 1.58x the original mass... even if the units are different you'd keep the same ratio, and 15lbs *1.58 becomes 24lbs. Not the 17.5 I originally stated, but sure as hell not the bullshit 50lbs stat mentioned earlier. In fact it's much closer to my linear guess of 17.5 lbs.

CavaliersFTW
01-19-2015, 01:49 AM
First, I'm aware of the square-cube law but totally blanked on it until you mentioned it. Props for that.

But cubing something is not the same as increasing it 30%... check your math on that

The cube law (from wiki) states: http://i.imgur.com/Qk1oIwt.png

And Density is mass per unit volume - so with a bit of algebra we could say mass2 = mass1 (l2/l1)^3

(7ft/6ft) ^3 = an increase of 1.58x the original mass... even if the units are different you'd keep the same ratio, and 15lbs *1.58 becomes 24lbs. Not the 17.5 I originally stated, but sure as hell not the bullshit 50lbs stat mentioned earlier. In fact it's much closer to my linear guess of 17.5 lbs.
If you upscaled a perfect cube from the height 10 feet to 11 feet (10%), and it weighed 100lbs

It would weigh 130lbs - an increase of 30%

I'm not saying the Cube law increases everything 30%, that's only the case if you increase the dimensions 10%

So if you increase 5% than you increase mass 15%

If you increase height 2% than you increase mass 6%

No? That's what I was taught. If that's wrong I was taught wrong.

oarabbus
01-19-2015, 01:58 AM
If you upscaled a perfect cube from the height 10 feet to 11 feet (10%), and it weighed 100lbs

It would weigh 130lbs - an increase of 30%

I'm not saying the Cube law increases everything 30%, that's only the case if you increase the dimensions 10%

So if you increase 5% than you increase mass 15%

If you increase height 2% than you increase mass 6%

No? That's what I was taught. If that's wrong I was taught wrong.

If the 10ft cube was 100lbs, the volume of the 10ft cube is (10*10*10) or 1000 ft^3

Then the density of that cube is (100lbs/1000ft^3) = 0.1 lbs/ft^3

If the new cube is 11ft, then the volume is 11^3 = 1331ft^3

and the mass is 1331ft^3 * (0.1 lbs/ft^3) = 133.1 lbs

So it looks like the 10% increase in length becoming a 30% increase in weight is a (very accurate) approximation, but not exactly the same. :cheers: And I think we can agree at this point that the 50lbs increase is, just not accurate whatsoever.

navy
01-19-2015, 02:00 AM
Im surprised he isnt taking this time to gain muscle.

magnax1
01-19-2015, 02:39 AM
Who cares? He's out for the season and can't run anyway... Plus that family shit. You wouldn't give it 100% either.

As long as he's not breaking bones or doing drugs he's fine.
I'd argue that recovering from this sort of lapse into poor physical shape takes a lot longer than the time it takes to just lose the weight and gain the strength back. When you get in really shitty shape and then get back to what you used to be, it takes a long time for the actual physical feeling of being in good shape to come back beyond being able to run at the same speed or be as strong you were.

They Won
01-19-2015, 04:51 AM
Any pics of him where he actually looks 300 pounds?

Magic731
01-19-2015, 06:13 AM
:biggums:

Collie
01-19-2015, 06:16 AM
Any pics of him where he actually looks 300 pounds?

I guess at his height, he'd look similar to young Shaq.

julizaver
01-19-2015, 07:53 AM
I hope he will recover and not become another Greg Oden.

brooks_thompson
01-19-2015, 08:32 AM
Sounds like a rough time, but it's important to get him sorted out psychologically now, and take a long approach (up til training camp) at the physical fitness. Gotta be tough to not be able to immerse himself in what (i assume) he loves to find relief. Teenagers are moody.

If they don't bring in a reeally solid vet big man this offseason, the organization is ****in stupid. Even if its Kurt Thomas.

El Kabong
01-19-2015, 08:53 AM
Dude's just bulking up. Once he's back in the gym hard and working towards basketball shape, he'll be a monster.
He's cultivating mass and will harvest it in the off-season.