PDA

View Full Version : Basketball is 95% genetics...

sundizz
01-18-2015, 12:50 PM
There is no other way to explain how many sons, nephews, brothers etc are in the NBA.

FKAri
01-18-2015, 12:56 PM
Well yeah. You just need to be able to run fast, jump high and be tall. Beyond that you can be dumb, cross eyed and illiterate and still get in the league.

chocolatethunder
01-18-2015, 12:56 PM
There is no other way to explain how many sons, nephews, brothers etc are in the NBA.
Is that so? You don't think that the ones who have made it know what it takes to make it and can pass that on to family members and help teach them what it takes? If it was all genetics wouldn't Jordan's son's be tearing it up right now or Bird's or Magic's? There are plenty of ways to explain it. You chose to say genetics and your "evidence" is that there are too many sons and nephews and brothers in the league. If you're being taught by someone who knows what it takes to get there then you would have an advantage over someone who's trying to figure it out on their own wouldn't you? No it's not genetics. When you reach as high a level as the best 450 basketball players in the game the talent level is very similar from one player to the next. What sets players apart at this level is work ethic and mental make up. The difference between a bench player a bust and a superstar is very small. It's usually not the talent that's missing its the work ethic or the mental aspect of the game. Which player had a more unique skill set Jimmy Butler or Tim Thomas? Tim Thomas? Who is the better player? Jimmy Butler and it's not even close. If Tim Thomas or Beasley or Darius Miles or Tyrus Thomas or Eddie Curry had the work ethic and mental make up of Jimmy Butler they would have all been superstars. But they didn't. They had the talent but they had no heart ant nothing going on upstairs.

Solid Snake
01-18-2015, 12:59 PM
Is that so? You don't think that the ones who have made it know what it takes to make it and can pass that on to family members and help teach them what it takes? If it was all genetics wouldn't Jordan's son's be tearing it up right now or Bird's or Magic's? There are plenty of ways to explain it. You chose to say genetics and your "evidence" is that there are too many sons and nephews and brothers in the league. If you're being taught by someone who knows what it takes to get there then you would have an advantage over someone who's trying to figure it out on their own wouldn't you? No it's not genetics. When you reach as high a level as the best 450 basketball players in the game the talent level is very similar from one player to the next. What sets players apart at this level is work ethic and mental make up. The difference between a bench player a bust and a superstar is vey small. It's usually not the talent that's missing its the work ethic or the mental aspect of the game.

It's genetics that gives you the physical potential (traits, explosiveness), the rest of it is work and dedication.

(I could've worked and dedicated myself all I want, I would never be as explosive ass Westbrook without the genetics).

Marchesk
01-18-2015, 01:01 PM
http://challengedoctor.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/6a00e54f7fc4c58833016768ce8aa2970b.jpg

chocolatethunder
01-18-2015, 01:07 PM
It's genetics that gives you the physical potential (traits, explosiveness), the rest of it is work and dedication.

(I could've worked and dedicated myself all I want, I would never be as explosive ass Westbrook without the genetics).
Yeah but just being someone's son doesn't make you talented. Most sons/nephews/realtives have been worse (not Kobe but lots have). Which only illustrates more that they may be less gifted than their parents etc but that their parents' knowledge of what it takes is what helped them. Or growing up around professionals is part of what helped maximize their talent. You think that Kobe would have been Kobe had he not grown up with a father who played professionally? No. He's obviously more gifted than his dad but he also works about as hard as anyone could. By the same token take players like the Barrys who weren't as gifted as their father but grew up around basketball and worked their asses off to become decent NBA players. Would they be that if their dad wasn't a pro? I doubt it. There are several factors involved it's not 95% anything.

chocolatethunder
01-18-2015, 01:09 PM
How many people are explosive as Westbrook? He's a rarity even in the NBA. There's more Andre Miller, Steve Nash types than the Wiggins, Westbrook and LeBron's of the world.

I'm sure plenty of posters on here are just as (if not more) athletic than say.. Chauncey Billups. It's hard work, dedication and some luck more than anything (sub 6ft 6).
This is true and often overlooked. There are plenty of guys under 6'6" around the world who are good enough to be a rotation player in the NBA. Not a star but a player off the bench. There is no shortage of players like this. Over that height, there is a shortage of players good enough. Which is why big guys who suck get contracts.

There may be only three of four guys as fast/explosive as Westbrook in the league right now and in the history of the league maybe 10-15. He is the elite of the elite when it comes to things like that.

Kvnzhangyay
01-18-2015, 01:24 PM
Its more than 95% genetics... more like 99%

Marchesk
01-18-2015, 01:31 PM
Its more than 95% genetics... more like 99%

Humans and chimps share 99% of their genes.

Fawker
01-18-2015, 01:32 PM
it will always be about hustle first. how do the rodman's, ben wallace's, ron artests, of the world get scouted?

gts
01-18-2015, 01:32 PM
Genetics get you on the court, hard work and dedication keep you there

Quickening
01-18-2015, 01:43 PM
it will always be about hustle first. how do the rodman's, ben wallace's, ron artests, of the world get scouted?

You can find millions of school kids with hustle on a basketball court... how many are 6 foot 6 plus, big wingspan, with a 30 plus inch vert? There is a reason that black players dominate the NBA and it isn't because they have more hustle.

GimmeThat
01-18-2015, 01:48 PM
probably why Will Ferrell will never get a 6 pack abs

Real Men Wear Green
01-18-2015, 01:52 PM
Certain traits help but how many sons, nephews, and brothers are in the NBA? Off the top of my head, Kobe Bryant is the son of a player, Austin Rivers (who is barely in the NBA) is a son of a player, Steph Curry is the son of a player, Hardaway Jr. There are probably a few I am missing but it's not like it's a hundred, more likely a number under 20. Being gifted size and athleticism are huge but I'd bet there's also a lot to do with growing up in a basketball environment (Bryant and Curry). But even the children of great players are unlikely to make it. MJs sons, for example, didn't make the NBA.

Doranku
01-18-2015, 01:54 PM
Certain traits help but how many sons, nephews, and brothers are in the NBA? Off the top of my head, Kobe Bryant is the son of a player, Austin Rivers (who is barely in the NBA) is a son of a player, Steph Curry is the son of a player, Hardaway Jr. There are probably a few I am missing but it's not like it's a hundred, more likely a number under 20. Being gifted size and athleticism are huge but I'd bet there's also a lot to do with growing up in a basketball environment (Bryant and Curry). But even the children of great players are unlikely to make it. MJs sons, for example, didn't make the NBA.

Don't forget brothers. The Morris brothers, Plumlee brothers, Gasol brothers.. I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple.

EDIT: Lopez brothers as well

tpols
01-18-2015, 01:56 PM

Andrew Wiggins dad.. Mike Conley dad was an Olympic sprinter and he was gifted his speed.. I'm sure there's a ton of relatively unknown examples, but you can't put a percentage on it. Some guys are in the league because there 7ft tall and can run.. That's all you really need at that height. Then you have the majority of guards who needed insane amount of skill to make it.

ralph_i_el
01-18-2015, 02:45 PM
The average nba player is 6'7"

Only a small percentage of men are taller than 6'3" Most guys taller than that are very awkward runners.

If you're below 6'3" you have to be a basketball god in terms of skills to make the NBA

height is genetic.

So OP is right.

K Xerxes
01-18-2015, 02:48 PM
Humans and chimps share 99% of their genes.

That's not the point he was making.

Basketball is 99% genetics =/= basketball players share 99% of their genes

KevinNYC
01-18-2015, 03:01 PM
http://challengedoctor.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/6a00e54f7fc4c58833016768ce8aa2970b.jpg
This dude was star athlete in three sports in high school. He also played ice hockey for fun.

He started playing at about 12 years old and 5 years later he was 1 rpg away from a triple double season in high school. If you don't think Steve Nash is a genetically gifted athlete, you're a moron. (http://www.nba.com/preview2007/journey_nash.html)

SN: I started playing basketball when I was 12 or 13. So I must have been 13 when I got my first ball. It felt good. It felt like a new friend.
When did you realize you had serious game?
SN: I was pretty good right away because when you are 12 or 13 it is more about what other sports you've played. If you are good at other sports you can translate it easily to any sport at that age. I realized when I was about 13 or 14 that I had a chance to be a really good player.

Marchesk
01-18-2015, 03:30 PM
That's not the point he was making.

Basketball is 99% genetics =/= basketball players share 99% of their genes

Well I'm calling BS on the 99% genes. That would leave only 1% to all those thousands of hours NBA players had to put in to make it. It will be less hours for big dudes, since they can be more raw and have less skill and still get a shot. But still, you have to work at it.

Durant's genes don't determine that he would be a great shooter. He worked countless hours on his shot. Yeah, Lebron could make it to the NBA on his physique and athleticism, but without working on his game, he's coming off the bench and we would think that he was a waste of talent. But Lebron is in the once in a generation kind of genetic freak category.

Darius
01-18-2015, 03:33 PM
Yup.

That's why I'm shocked when people hate on guys like CP3.

He has limited genetic gifts compared to other players and - even those he had - were taken from him with his knee injury.

Still, through pure power of will he became and has remained a top 10 player in the league.

That is rare.

ILLsmak
01-18-2015, 04:06 PM

those dudes are all athletic monsters tho and mentally tough.

I do think it's genetics, but so is everything. However people do have genetics and don't go anywhere. You do have to work and you do have to have some level of understanding.

Like Larry Bird maybe couldn't have been in the NBA, no matter how hard he worked, if he was 5 foot 5.

-Smak

KevinNYC
01-18-2015, 04:23 PM
Like Larry Bird maybe couldn't have been in the NBA, no matter how hard he worked, if he was 5 foot 5.

-Smak
like 99.99% of NBA players ever.

There have only been two players 5'5" and under.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shortest_players_in_National_Basketball_As sociation_history

AnaheimLakers24
01-18-2015, 04:24 PM
He sucks

KevinNYC
01-18-2015, 04:32 PM
Yup.

That's why I'm shocked when people hate on guys like CP3.

He has limited genetic gifts compared to other players and - even those he had - were taken from him with his knee injury.

Still, through pure power of will he became and has remained a top 10 player in the league.

That is rare.
You seem to be discounting things like balance and dexterity that some people are naturally gifted at. You can work to improve these, but for some this just part of who they are. That's why I posted the Steve Nash photo above. I remember seeing one of those advanced training videos with Chris Paul and his reflexes (the ability to react to stimuli) was among the tops in the world. They basically flashed a light to his left or his right to tell him which way to move and then measured his reaction to like the millisecond. Larry Bird say he realized that basketball just came easier to him than everyone around him. Coordination and balance are some of the athletic traits that separate basketball players from track and field athletes.

KevinNYC
01-18-2015, 04:34 PM
He sucks
Well this guy was pretty good.
http://espn.go.com/photo/2006/1018/nba_g_nash_268x463.jpg

tpols
01-18-2015, 04:47 PM
You seem to be discounting things like balance and dexterity that some people are naturally gifted at. You can work to improve these, but for some this just part of who they are. That's why I posted the Steve Nash photo above. I remember seeing one of those advanced training videos with Chris Paul and his reflexes (the ability to react to stimuli) was among the tops in the world. They basically flashed a light to his left or his right to tell him which way to move and then measured his reaction to like the millisecond. Larry Bird say he realized that basketball just came easier to him than everyone around him. Coordination and balance are some of the athletic traits that separate basketball players from track and field athletes.
That and intelligence too.. A lot of great athletes only have one or two Gears.. Normal running movement and then all out explosion.. Like Derrick Rose or Westbrook.. They don't have the change of pace, awareness, or intelligence to micromanage their movements subtly as to outwit the defense. Bird you could say is in this category as well.. Natural heightened awareness and iq.

Mrofir
01-18-2015, 04:49 PM

It's so obviously about genetics that this thread is a little silly.

I'm only responding because I'm a little shocked so many people are taking the other side.

Anybody who doesn't think genetics isn't the biggest factor should go stand next to Ben Wallace and continue the "genetics isn't that important" argument from there.

The chances of making the nba are infinitesimally small. If Michael Jordan's son had a 1% chance of making the NBA, the best explanation for this ridiculously high likelihood is genetics. He didn't make it, but the reverse argument is NOT valid.

"MJs son is not in the league, therefor genetics as a factor is overstated." That's like saying I bought a million tickets and didn't win the lottery, therefor buying tickets is not a factor in winning the lottery.

I'm 5'8. I'm a pretty good player, I'm usually one of the better people on the court in any decent quality pick up game. I got pretty good genes with regards to coordination, quickness, strength, yet I could never ever make the NBA, purely because of genes. There are countless people like me. For me to keep my good qualities, quickness and coordination, and be 7 ft tall, would require winning a genetic lottery. If I had won that lottery I'd probably have a good shot at being a professional basketball player. But that's just like saying, if I won the lottery I'd win the lottery. It just keeps coming back to genes.

morbius
01-18-2015, 04:55 PM
If I had the body of Michael Jordan, I would have been a very good basketball player. Not nearly as great as he was, but a very good one.
If MJ had my body, he would never have played professional basketball.

Mrofir
01-18-2015, 04:56 PM
PS to you guys posting Steve Nash pictures as part of an argument that genetics aren't important...... :facepalm

Martin Nash, Steve's brother, had a 15 year career as a professional soccer player.

John Nash, Steve's dad, was a professional soccer player.

kunk75
01-18-2015, 05:14 PM
isn't that like an amazingly obvious statement.

my son is a small guard that is being recruited but if he had my frame he'd be basically unstoppable. he got my wife's tiny irish frame sadly

If I had the body of Michael Jordan, I would have been a very good basketball player. Not nearly as great as he was, but a very good one.
If MJ had my body, he would never have played professional basketball.

Shih508
01-18-2015, 08:38 PM
If a chance of a normal black dude who has no one in his family that was in professional sport to become a NBA player is 1 out of 1,000,000 and a chance for a child of a NBA player is 3 out of 100. That's 30,00 times more likely of becoming a NBA player if your dad was one.

That's genetic. Plain and simple.

They Won
01-18-2015, 08:47 PM

Please provide the study with these stats.

pauk
01-18-2015, 11:12 PM
Well yeah. You just need to be able to run fast, jump high and be tall. Beyond that you can be dumb, cross eyed and illiterate and still get in the league.

Sounds like Tracy McGrady.

Cowboy Thunder
01-18-2015, 11:27 PM

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/static/img/fantasy/transparent/200x200/LYN442976.png

jstern
01-18-2015, 11:31 PM
It's 95% genetics in that the average height in the NBA is 6'7", and it takes years for me to see a person that tall. And when I do, they draw a lot of attention because they're so tall.

I cannot relate to people who just eat whatever they want and never workout and push their bodies, so the concept of, "They jump high, and run fast, so it must be genetics" would never cross my mind. It's also simplistic to think that athleticism is at the level of skills, and that by being athletic freaks they will make it to the NBA. NBA basketball is just more complicated than that.

Player's sons have the advantage of having tall genes, and having a father that can teach them so much more about basketball than they would figure out by themselves, like a regular person.

oarabbus
01-19-2015, 12:21 AM
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/static/img/fantasy/transparent/200x200/LYN442976.png

Come on man... Lynch is far from illiterate and dumb... this coming from a Niners fan.

Anyway, basketball is not 95% genetics that's the dumbest shit I ever heard.

95% of Michael Jordan is like, a 10 time all star. And you tell me how MJ's sons have fared in the world of professional basketball.

sundizz
01-19-2015, 01:05 AM
Come on man... Lynch is far from illiterate and dumb... this coming from a Niners fan.

Anyway, basketball is not 95% genetics that's the dumbest shit I ever heard.

95% of Michael Jordan is like, a 10 time all star. And you tell me how MJ's sons have fared in the world of professional basketball.

You really are dumb lol. Weren't you in the other thread claiming that if Embiid's ratio of weight gain should be 17.5 if a 6 footer's was 15 pounds lol.

You can't use ONE example of genetics. And it's not like his son isn't a 6 foot plus basketball player with great athletics (compared to the rest of the population). He just wasn't blessed with his father's significantly superior athleticism.

It's easy to take a 6'6+ coordinated athletic person and make them into a collegiate or pro level basketball player (not necessarily NBA). That's purely genetic lottery luck. An under 6 footer player could practice their whole lives and if they are not athletic/coordinated/fast/etc they could at best be a low level college player. Their are multiple examples of NBA players who started hoopin at 16+ and became beasts in the league.

triangleoffense
01-19-2015, 01:07 AM
yep ur right, black people do have an easier time playing basketball/nba

CavaliersFTW
01-19-2015, 01:14 AM
To be fair, even he has slightly above average height, relatively big hands, long arms on top of that above average height, and a body type that is lean/quick yet still heavy/massive enough to absorb contact in the ranks of a professional sport.

There are only a few NBA players that don't have more than several of the handful of key physical characteristics that make good basketball players. And I'm talking physical characteristics that can't just be trained with hard work.

Hard work is essential. But to be NBA caliber you also have to be physically gifted too. Even Larry Bird is 6 foot 9, with incredible peripheral vision. Even Bob Cousy had long arms long fingers and incredible peripheral vision. Etc etc. The most "normal" players you could try to find aren't really normal at all compared to say, us keyboard basketball experts. And most every player that has ever played save for some of the pituitary cases have what would be considered above average coordination/balance/agility/etc

I don't know what "percent" genetics plays into basketball. But I've not yet heard of an NBA caliber player that didn't have abnormal physical traits beneficial to the sport relative to the population average.

BigMacAttack
01-19-2015, 01:21 AM
PS to you guys posting Steve Nash pictures as part of an argument that genetics aren't important...... :facepalm

Martin Nash, Steve's brother, had a 15 year career as a professional soccer player.

John Nash, Steve's dad, was a professional soccer player.

:lol :lol

Bro if you cant kiss the rim your not athletic, forget about balance, speed, quickness, agility,hand eye co-ordination, motor, endurance :facepalm

oarabbus
01-19-2015, 01:32 AM
You really are dumb lol. Weren't you in the other thread claiming that if Embiid's ratio of weight gain should be 17.5 if a 6 footer's was 15 pounds lol.

You can't use ONE example of genetics. And it's not like his son isn't a 6 foot plus basketball player with great athletics (compared to the rest of the population). He just wasn't blessed with his father's significantly superior athleticism.

It's easy to take a 6'6+ coordinated athletic person and make them into a collegiate or pro level basketball player (not necessarily NBA). That's purely genetic lottery luck. An under 6 footer player could practice their whole lives and if they are not athletic/coordinated/fast/etc they could at best be a low level college player. Their are multiple examples of NBA players who started hoopin at 16+ and became beasts in the league.

Lol. Getting to the NBA is hard work. Obviously there is a genetic component of height, but that's it. You've probably heard the statistic of 17% of 7 footers play in the NBA. Guess what? The other 83% didn't make it. It took a shit ton of hard work to get to the NBA, there are many dudes who are 6'10, 6'11, 7' in college who don't make it into the NBA - many more than DO make it.

There are over 2 million men in the US over 6'6 (http://investing.calsci.com/statistics.html) why aren't all of them collegiate or pro players? Hard work. Not genetics. That's it. It ain't 95% genetic, sorry

PS you're an idiot... using the square-cube law the 7 footer's weight increase would be ~23lbs, check the other topic. Yeah not my original statment of 17.5lbs but nowhere near your dumbass claim of 50lbs. Go to school before you call other people out son

CavaliersFTW
01-19-2015, 01:44 AM
Lol. Getting to the NBA is hard work. Obviously there is a genetic component of height, but that's it. You've probably heard the statistic of 17% of 7 footers play in the NBA. Guess what? The other 83% didn't make it. It took a shit ton of hard work to get to the NBA, there are many dudes who are 6'10, 6'11, 7' in college who don't make it into the NBA - many more than DO make it.

There are over 2 million men in the US over 6'6 (http://investing.calsci.com/statistics.html) why aren't all of them all stars in the NBA? Hard work. That's it. It ain't 95% genetic, sorry

PS you're an idiot... using the square-cube law the 7 footer's weight increase would be ~23lbs. Yeah not my original statment of 17.5lbs but nowhere near your dumbass claim of 50lbs. Go to school son before you call other people out
"17% of 7 footers make it in the NBA"

That statistic is entirely false. The guy who came up with it didn't realize NBA list heights are all inflated. He figured every team had 1 or 2 guys 7 feet or taller. In reality in the NBA there are like a fraction of the number of players he figured were 7 feet or taller. The census number of 7 footers in the U.S. is based on barefoot height like your doctor would measure, not the NBA list height method (Guys like Spencer Hawes, 6-10 and change... listed 7 foot 1).

tpols
01-19-2015, 01:46 AM

There are over 2 million men in the US over 6'6 (http://investing.calsci.com/statistics.html) why aren't all of them collegiate or pro players? Hard work. Not genetics. That's it. It ain't 95% genetic, sorry

PS you're an idiot... using the square-cube law the 7 footer's weight increase would be ~23lbs, check the other topic. Yeah not my original statment of 17.5lbs but nowhere near your dumbass claim of 50lbs. Go to school before you call other people out son
Damn.. 17% of seven footers are pros? That's a massive percentage considering a lot of people that tall have serious health problems. That pretty much means if you're seven feet tall and we'll proportioned/healthy you're pretty much guaranteed a spot if you put any effort in at all.

What's the percentage on other Heights? I'd assume it drops off exponentially to like. 0001% for people under 6'2

oarabbus
01-19-2015, 01:49 AM
Damn.. 17% of seven footers are pros? That's a massive percentage considering a lot of people that tall have serious health problems. That pretty much means if you're seven feet tall and we'll proportioned/healthy you're pretty much guaranteed a spot if you put any effort in at all.

What's the percentage on other Heights? I'd assume it drops off exponentially to like. 0001% for people under 6'2

See Cavs post.... the number is much smaller than 17% in reality. I was mistaken on it

"17% of 7 footers make it in the NBA"

That statistic is entirely false. The guy who came up with it didn't realize NBA list heights are all inflated. He figured every team had 1 or 2 guys 7 feet or taller. In reality in the NBA there are like a fraction of the number of players he figured were 7 feet or taller. The census number of 7 footers in the U.S. is based on barefoot height like your doctor would measure, not the NBA list height method (Guys like Spencer Hawes, 6-10 and change... listed 7 foot 1).

Point taken... so then the number is even lower, considering that many of these NBA "7 footers" are not truly 7 foot. Therefore further providing evidence against this "95% genetics" bullshit

AlphaWolf24
01-19-2015, 02:11 AM
Why are idiots posting about Steve Nash not being athletic??

the guy is an amazing athlete....at Santa Clara every coach said Nash could have been a star in soccer , baseball and tennis.

he was ambidextrous, had amazing coordination and was very quick laterally... to go along with cat like reflexes...

magnax1
01-19-2015, 02:26 AM
NBA has a high entry barrier genetically because of the height, but compared to a sport like football it is not very dependant on genetics beyond that barrier. Go make a list of guys who are arguably top 10 ever and 1/3rd-1/2 are not particularly special athletically by NBA standards. Bird was quite limited athletically, Magic was not all that special (especially when he was an MVP in the late 80s. He was quite quick early on), Duncan wasn't and isn't, Kobe and Jerry West have both excelled while playing at an athletic level that was probably below their position average at an old age. Cases of guys who dominated the sport based on their physical advantage at an all time level is limited to Shaq, Lebron, and of course Wilt and Jordan combined their unbelievable physical advantage with an unbelievable skill level to cement themselves as unquestioned top 5 all time. Now look at some positions in the NFL. The list of the best corners in the NFL is not dissimilar at all from the list of most athletic corners. Even in more "skilled" positions like wide receiver the best players are the ones who are just freaks like Moss and Calvin Johnson. You'll never see guys like Nash, Duncan, or Bird who dominate based off skills in the NFL excluding some keys positions. Basketball is more or less a skill sport that can be exploited athletically in certain roles like slashers or elite defenders.

iamgine
01-19-2015, 02:26 AM
If 95% genetics means "In order to enter the NBA, 95% of the time one must possess an excellent gene that allows him/her to be better than average person with equal effort." then it's generally true.

If it means "genetics makes up for 95% of factors in playing great basketball", then it's false.

sundizz
01-19-2015, 03:00 AM
Genetics simply means that the barrier to entry in the NBA (in general) is being 6'5+ with world class coordination, mobility, etc.

This is probably less than .001% of the population. There are many people above 6'5, but not people above 6'5 with the level of coordination, speed, and agility.

If you have that you are genetically gifted. It's nothing you did. It's genetics.

If you are the son of a NBA player/brother of a NBA player you have a much higher chance of also possessing that base athletic necessity to be even in the realm of a NBA player. After that it's up to the individual in terms of effort etc.

However, the first part I'd say is 95% of the importance, and the work/effort/etc is 5%. Without the first part, no matter how hard you work you are not going to make the NBA.

Again, the 6'5 is a random number. If you are like Nash he has elite athleticism too due to genetics (agility, body control, speed, etc at about 6'4).

deja vu
01-19-2015, 03:15 AM
How about Ricky Rubio? Does he have good genetics?

iamgine
01-19-2015, 03:21 AM
However, the first part I'd say is 95% of the importance, and the work/effort/etc is 5%. Without the first part, no matter how hard you work you are not going to make the NBA.

I would disagree because without hard work and basketball iq, there is also little chance you make the NBA even if you have good genes.

sundizz
01-19-2015, 08:01 AM
I would disagree because without hard work and basketball iq, there is also little chance you make the NBA even if you have good genes.

Yeah, of course you need those too. Just saying a lot of people can work hard and/or have good basketball iq. A very tiny percentage of people have the physical genetic gifts necessary to match. Thus hard work being 5% importance and genetics being 95%. If someone that has the physical gifts and doesnt work hard of course they wouldnt make it to the league.