PDA

View Full Version : JR Smith in the last 5 games

Lebron23
01-18-2015, 07:16 PM
He's averaging 16.4 ppg on 44 FG%, 2.0 pg, 2.3 apg, 3.4 rpg. He's been a solid addition for the Cavaliers.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2015/0107/nba_a_smith_600x600.jpg

m00qi
01-18-2015, 07:21 PM
Stacked. No excuses

Lebron23
01-18-2015, 07:24 PM
Stacked. No excuses

Basketball is a team sports. I believe once they continue playing like a team they can beat regular season champion Golden state warriors, and Atlanta hawks in a best of 7 series.

outbreak
01-18-2015, 07:27 PM
Stacked. No excuses.

JR is a streak player though, lucky they don't need to rely on him so he should be useful there.

Crose
01-18-2015, 07:28 PM
Basketball is a team sports. I believe once they continue playing like a team they can beat regular season champion Golden state warriors, and Atlanta hawks in a best of 7 series.
you sound like a robot

Lebron23
01-18-2015, 07:29 PM
Stacked. No excuses.

JR is a streak player though, lucky they don't need to rely on him so he should be useful there.

He can play the Ray Allen, Kerr, Horry role in the playoffs.

Lebron23
01-18-2015, 07:29 PM
you sound like a robot

You sound like a parrot. Was that the 6th time you mentioned it in my other threads??

TheMarkMadsen
01-18-2015, 07:31 PM
Wow cavs so stacked. Just two years ago this guy was Melos second option when the Knicks made the playoffs. Now he's Lebrons 5th option. So stacked

Bandito
01-18-2015, 07:33 PM
Wow cavs so stacked. Just two years ago this guy was Melos second option when the Knicks made the playoffs. Now he's Lebrons 5th option. So stacked
burn:lol

dannywpt
01-18-2015, 07:34 PM
Cavs have so much talent on their roster, they just need to trade for someone who can take on the burden of leading their young guys, teach them how to play good defense and create a winning culture within the team

Done_And_Done
01-18-2015, 07:38 PM
I still think Shump could be the key to that trade. Offense is certainly not the Cavs most glaring concern.

MARK HENSON
01-18-2015, 07:41 PM
yes he was a good pick up
he has good jumper and speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:coleman:

Hotlantadude81
01-18-2015, 08:27 PM

The Cavs have no heart.

MARK HENSON
01-18-2015, 08:38 PM
The Cavs have no heart.

THE CAVS STINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers:

Smoke117
01-18-2015, 08:57 PM

The Cavs are atrocious defensively...that isn't going to change this far into the season. (not enough to make a difference anyhow)

Mr. Jabbar
01-18-2015, 09:06 PM
jr smith is a player in the league, there, i said it

Joyner82reload
01-18-2015, 09:07 PM
Dion Waiters last 4 games

16.5 ppg 2.25 rpg 1.5 apg 50.9 FG% 50 3P%

Cavs lose again

nba_55
01-18-2015, 09:37 PM
The Cavs are atrocious defensively...that isn't going to change this far into the season. (not enough to make a difference anyhow)

Keep repeating it to yourself, if you ll believing it.

RedBlackAttack
01-18-2015, 09:47 PM
I still think Shump could be the key to that trade. Offense is certainly not the Cavs most glaring concern.
Shump is literally the perfect player for that starting five, assuming he comes back healthy enough to play at the level he was at last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ3raA0rEUk

He obviously plays excellent defense, but that's not all the Cavs are getting. They're getting much needed athleticism at a position that has been sorely lacking that aspect all season for the Cavs. He'll get out on the break and he can explode to the rim with or without the ball.

He's also a guy that defenses have to honor as a perimeter shooter. He's not Kyle Korver, but he is good enough to beat you if you don't defend it. Guys will completely leave Delly and Marion at this point. You can't do that with Shump.

He can even take some of the burden off of LeBron and Kyrie with ball-handling when needed.

As for JR, he has been excellent so far. Not even all that inconsistent, to be honest. I feel pretty confident it is going to be a make every time he pulls up right now.

When Shump gets back, having him coming off the bench will be a huge boost to a second unit that desperately needs scoring.

I really like the balance when fully healthy...

PG - Kyrie
SG - Shump
SF - LeBron
PF - Love
C - Mozgov

Bench:
TT
JR Smith
Marion
Miller
Delly

When he has been on the floor, Mozgov has done wonders for our defense. He just needs to stay out of foul trouble. Shump is going to make our defense more than serviceable. Honestly, the biggest issue this team is going to have down the road is the inexperience factor. There are so many young players who are going to be playing big roles for this team. Kyrie (22), Shump (24), Tristan (23), Love (26).

If LeBron starts stepping up and leading on and off the court, we should be a serious contender in the EC.

Cocaine80s
01-18-2015, 10:12 PM

Cavs lose again

Waiters was bad for the Cavs and they replaced him with someone who fits better.
Cavs also got Iman Shumpert and a 1st rounder...

RedBlackAttack
01-18-2015, 10:14 PM
Waiters was bad for the Cavs and they replaced him with someone who fits better.
Cavs also got Iman Shumpert and a 1st rounder...
That first rounder was traded for Mozgov. Essentially, this is how the two big trades boiled down for the Cavs:

Out: Dion Waiters, Memphis' protected 1st

In: Iman Shumpert, Timofey Mozgov, JR Smith

A very fair trade, imo, and definitely made the Cavs better right now. They did lose some longterm potential with Dion, but he had been here for 2+ years and it wasn't going according to plan. Shump replaces some of his longterm potential and we added two other potential key pieces.

I'll take that.

MiseryCityTexas
01-18-2015, 10:19 PM

lmao @ regular season champions

Smoke117
01-18-2015, 10:29 PM
Keep repeating it to yourself, if you ll believing it.

Huh? What are you babbling on about? The Cavs are one of the five worst defensive teams in the league...that isn't going to change significantly to matter half way into the season. Common sense. Try it out.

RedBlackAttack
01-18-2015, 10:30 PM
Huh? What are you babbling on about? The Cavs are one of the five worst defensive teams in the league...that isn't going to change significantly to matter half way into the season. Common sense. Try it out.
Adding two primarily defensive players at key positions to your starting five could definitely change this kind of trend midway through the season or otherwise. That seems like common sense to me. :confusedshrug:

Keno
01-18-2015, 10:32 PM

Cavs lose again

shumpert alone > waiters. let alone jr smith.

Smoke117
01-18-2015, 10:35 PM
Adding two primarily defensive players at key positions to your starting five could definitely change this kind of trend midway through the season or otherwise. That seems like common sense to me. :confusedshrug:

They didn't add anyone who can fix this teams defense this season. You can't change a teams whole identity by adding a couple good defensive players. They needed a David Robinson in his prime...not a Timofey Mozgov and Iman Shumpert. That is peanuts for this team.

RedBlackAttack
01-18-2015, 10:41 PM
They didn't add anyone who can fix this teams defense this season. You can't change a teams whole identity by adding a couple good defensive players. They needed a David Robinson in his prime...not a Timofey Mozgov and Iman Shumpert. That is peanuts for this team.
I guess we'll find out together. The defense has already been vastly improved when Mozgov is on the floor. The biggest issue with him has been foul trouble. But, it is no longer a layup line at the basket with Mozgov out there. Tristan has been a much improved defender so far this season. Kyrie is giving us much more energy and effort on that end, as evidenced by his good work against CP3 the other night.

The biggest defensive issues for this Cavs this year had been due to effort and unfamiliarity... two very fixable problems.

I'm not saying they're going to be the Bad Boys Pistons, but they don't need to be with all of that offensive firepower.

NumberSix
01-18-2015, 10:46 PM
No excuses.

RedBlackAttack
01-18-2015, 10:50 PM
No excuses.
:yawn:

2swift4u
01-19-2015, 04:09 AM
JR has really been playing well since he joined the Cavs. He could become more important for this team than most of us thought.

dunksby
01-19-2015, 04:23 AM
That first rounder was traded for Mozgov. Essentially, this is how the two big trades boiled down for the Cavs:

Out: Dion Waiters, Memphis' protected 1st

In: Iman Shumpert, Timofey Mozgov, JR Smith

A very fair trade, imo, and definitely made the Cavs better right now. They did lose some longterm potential with Dion, but he had been here for 2+ years and it wasn't going according to plan. Shump replaces some of his longterm potential and we added two other potential key pieces.

I'll take that.
Yep it's a very balanced trade, I believe all involved got what they were after, the fact that even trolls (PB excluded) can't make fun of either franchise for that trade is evidence enough.

russwest0
01-19-2015, 04:31 AM
Yep it's a very balanced trade, I believe all involved got what they were after, the fact that even trolls (PB excluded) can't make fun of either franchise for that trade is evidence enough.

That Wiggins trade tho... :facepalm

Real14
01-19-2015, 04:37 AM
No LeXcuses.

hahaitme
01-19-2015, 05:02 AM
When JR comes off the bench and they overlap one of LeBron KI or Love with him I think he'll go on a tear and put up some big numbers.

Magic 32
01-19-2015, 05:25 AM
Can't wait for Jr in playoff mode. :roll:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2540549/jrelbow.gif

I<3NBA
01-19-2015, 07:40 AM
That Wiggins trade tho... :facepalm
that Wiggins trade got Lebron back...

or do you think Lebron would've come back without Love there?

n00bie
01-19-2015, 08:53 AM
JR has been great so far, but I think LeBron needs more help in the playoffs.

Bandito
01-19-2015, 09:06 AM

Didnt he signed first and then the trade was done?

IMObjective
01-19-2015, 09:09 AM

Um, that letter said that he was going back because he wanted to go back home and to bring a ring to Cleveland. And elevate Irving and Dion's play. Miami was just college and all that.

BigBoss
01-19-2015, 09:10 AM
You sound like a parrot. Was that the 6th time you mentioned it in my other threads??

Holy shit that cracked me up :roll: :roll: :roll:

Richesly
01-19-2015, 09:14 AM

Cleveland will be destroyed by GSW and the Hawks. Get out of your fantasy world. We have blown you guys out of the building twice this season.

pastis
01-19-2015, 02:25 PM
it also proofs that NY being a team full of scub is just not true

amare, calderon, dalambert, JR, Har.jr, carmelo etc. with that you must be fighting for the 8th in the east.

SamuraiSWISH
01-19-2015, 02:28 PM
This ... waiting to see Shump lock in defensively. JR is a more dynamic, explosive guy off the bench than Waiters. And he focuses more on a team that is a contender. Both are upgrades IMO.

bluechox2
01-19-2015, 02:47 PM
just wait till he starts to hit them strip clubs

Lebron23
01-25-2015, 02:18 AM

amare, calderon, dalambert, JR, Har.jr, carmelo etc. with that you must be fighting for the 8th in the east.

I have to agree. Just recently ordered a JR Smith uniform.

JT123
01-25-2015, 02:24 AM
The Lebron effect. :rockon:

Lebron23
01-25-2015, 02:26 AM
The Lebron effect. :rockon:

:applause: :applause: :applause:

supernova5912
01-25-2015, 02:31 AM
J.R. Smith has averaged 15.3 points on 56.6 TS% since joining the Cavaliers, the most efficient he's been since the 2008-09 season.

SamuraiSWISH
01-25-2015, 02:31 AM
He's been fantastic. Great fit for Cleveland. Ironically, never thought I'd say it, a more mature player than Dion Waiters was. He doesn't feel the need to prove himself, he's made his bones and rep. He just balls.

Off the bench? He can go off the dribble, and torch second units. With the starters? He just spots up, with his sweet jumper, lack of conscience and major range from everywhere.

On another team, this is a curse. Like the immature Knick team. But he obviously respects LeBron's leadership, and recent championship pedigree so he falls in line like good soldier with the maturity around him. I think it also helps living in Cleveland, the team is competing, and the city doesn't have a nightlife to distract someone like JR.

On the floor with Irving, and James ability to break down a defense off the dribble ... he's the perfect dynamic to play along side of them.

Meanwhile Dion needed the ball in his hands to dribble just to get into rythym. Makes the team stagnant, and too ISO based. JR provides a higher consistent volume, while also having the ability to when hot ... EXPLODE and completely take over games.

He already had a near 40 point outing in a Cavs uniform.

Now, Shumpert is the sweetest part of the deal for Cleveland. Youth, length, athleticism, bunnies, Chicago tough tenacity, and ... perimeter defense.

Not only is Waiters for JR straight up an upgrade for Cleveland, throw in the even better fit, or needed piece? The Cavaliers came out golden in this deal.

Honestly, it was a better trade than Wiggins for Love. I think at this point, this team with Wiggins instead of Love would've been even more frightening. Short term, and long term.

Cavaliers made out BIG time this past summer, and after this trade. Just made it more difficult for my Bulls again.

:biggums:

Things are looking great for the Cavaliers right now. Especially with a physically, and mentally rejuvinated LeBron after his 2 week vacation.

CarlosBoozer
01-25-2015, 02:42 AM
Blatt or Lebron effect? :eek:

El Gato Negro
01-25-2015, 02:46 AM
He's been fantastic. Great fit for Cleveland. Ironically, never thought I'd say it, a more mature player than Dion Waiters was. He doesn't feel the need to prove himself, he's made his bones and rep. He just balls.

Off the bench? He can go off the dribble, and torch second units. With the starters? He just spots up, with his sweet jumper, lack of conscience and major range from everywhere.

On another team, this is a curse. Like the immature Knick team. But he obviously respects LeBron's leadership, and recent championship pedigree so he falls in line like good soldier with the maturity around him. I think it also helps living in Cleveland, the team is competing, and the city doesn't have a nightlife to distract someone like JR.

On the floor with Irving, and James ability to break down a defense off the dribble ... he's the perfect dynamic to play along side of them.

Meanwhile Dion needed the ball in his hands to dribble just to get into rythym. Makes the team stagnant, and too ISO based. JR provides a higher consistent volume, while also having the ability to when hot ... EXPLODE and completely take over games.

Now, Shumpert is the sweetest part of the deal for Cleveland. Youth, length, athleticism, bunnies, Chicago tough tenacity, and ... perimeter defense.

Not only is Waiters for JR straight up an upgrade for Cleveland, throw in the even better fit, or needed piece? The Cavaliers came out golden in this deal.

Honestly, it was a better trade than Wiggins for Love. I think at this point, this team with Wiggins instead of Love would've been even more frightening. Short term, and long term.

Cavaliers made out BIG time this past summer, and after this trade. Just made it more difficult for my Bulls again.

Things are looking great for the Cavaliers right now. Especially with a physically, and mentally rejuvinated LeBron after his 2 week vacation.Wiggins would be getting no playing time on this team. They don't need his scoring and he can't play defense. The wolves are the worst defensive team in the league and are actually better with him not in the lineup (defensively). If you want to see a good rookie defender look what shump did his rookie year. Wiggins could become a two way player but he isn't one now. JR is doing what dion was supposed to.

navy
01-25-2015, 02:53 AM
Blatt or Lebron effect? :eek:
Small sample size effect.
He'll come back down to earth. And im sure that Blatt will take him out the starting lineup when it happens.

supernova5912
01-25-2015, 02:53 AM

Amare Stoudemire is a shell of a shell of his former self despite playing well this season (12.6 points, 7.1 rebounds, and 1.0 blocks on 59.7 TS% in 25.3 minutes). With the depth at the point guard spot, Calderon is one of the worst starting point guards in the game, Dalembert's prided defense, stats, and overall play were his worst since his rookie year. J.R. Smith wasn't playing well off the bench, remaining inefficient. Tim Hardaway Jr. is a sophomore and shooting 38.7% from the field. In fact, only Melo is playing well but he's more inefficient than his previous years. Knicks have a lottery roster. In fact, the only reason people blame Melo for how bad the Knicks are is because they thought he was capable of carrying a bad team to the playoffs. Well, it's clear he can't do what Kobe did in 06-07, LeBron did in 05-06, or even what Iverson did in 02-03.

Cocaine80s
01-25-2015, 03:05 AM
J.R. Smith has averaged 15.3 points on 56.6 TS% since joining the Cavaliers, the most efficient he's been since the 2008-09 season.

Cocaine80s
01-25-2015, 03:06 AM

Things are looking great for the Cavaliers right now. Especially with a physically, and mentally rejuvinated LeBron after his 2 week vacation.
Wiggins would be nice but I feel its better for him to be the man on his own team.

Plus we all know he'll end up leaving for Toronto anyways

Kvnzhangyay
01-25-2015, 03:29 AM
:applause: :applause:

SamuraiSWISH
01-25-2015, 03:35 AM
Wiggins would be getting no playing time on this team.
LOL, yea, he wouldn't get any playing time. Right? Don't be an idiot.

Dude this squad:

Kyrie
Shumpert
Wiggins
LeBron
Thompson

Would be ridiculous defensively, and athletically. Then bring JR Smith off the bench? Lord. Wiggins lacks individual aggression to begin with, he's not an established star so he's not going to pout due to lack of touches like Love ... and he's already superior defensively. He also wouldn't have to live up to his draft status out the gates.

Wiggins might not develop as quick on an individual level on the Cavs, offensively at least, but his only concern for his first few years would be Kobe-esque at the same age. Defense, athleticism, slashing, finishing etc.

supernova5912
01-25-2015, 03:44 AM

Wiggins would make this Cavs team even worse defensively, which is 25th in the league in defensive rating. Love provides the Cavs with a shooting big man that can drop 15+ points and 10+ rebounds whilst remaining efficient every night.

Bulls are a better, deeper team than the Cavs if they can be healthy. Jimmy Butler is having an All-Star caliber season (20.5 points, 6.0 rebounds, 3.3 assists, and 1.8 steals with a 21.3 PER and a 58.2 TS%), Derrick Rose is beginning to return to his former self (averaging 23.1 points and 6.0 assists on 48.4 FG%, 52.2 3P%, and 59.9 TS% through the last 7 games), and Gasol is still playing at a high level (18.4 points, 11.6 rebounds, and 2.1 blocks with a 22.1 PER and 54.6 TS%). Taj Gibson, Aaron Brooks, and Nikola Mirotic are all playing extremely well of the bench. However, Joakim Noah seems to be playing terrible compared to before this season. Is he regressing or having trouble fitting in?

El Gato Negro
01-25-2015, 04:08 AM
LOL, yea, he wouldn't get any playing time. Right? Don't be an idiot.

Dude this squad:

Kyrie
Shumpert
Wiggins
LeBron
Thompson

Would be ridiculous defensively, and athletically. Then bring JR Smith off the bench? Lord. Wiggins lacks individual aggression to begin with, he's not an established star so he's not going to pout due to lack of touches like Love ... and he's already superior defensively. He also wouldn't have to live up to his draft status out the gates.

Wiggins might not develop as quick on an individual level on the Cavs, offensively at least, but his only concern for his first few years would be Kobe-esque at the same age. Defense, athleticism, slashing, finishing etc.Wiggins defensive ability is all hype and potential at this point your an idiot if you think other wise. Did you not see what happened to the cavs when they didn't start a legit center? Love and moz, wig and TT hmm.

SamuraiSWISH
01-25-2015, 04:10 AM
your an idiot if you think other wise.
Um, ok.

El Gato Negro
01-25-2015, 04:13 AM
Um, ok.stick to the bulls.

swagga
01-25-2015, 07:39 AM
Um, ok.

well, not counting grammar, he was on point. Wiggins is too young for a win now lebron while love does not change the team identity. But without love they lack the same key element that made the heat implode : stable dominant rebounding...... all the heat did was to compensate for this and it made them age faster because of extra effort (trapping, athletic rebounds, too much switching ... well documented)

Funnily enough, love is excellent for a fastbreak team, and he is the rarer commodity. Athletic wing player can be found at low prices (jr smith, schump) but dominant rebounding bigs that can throw football passes aren't easily acquireable.

For cleveland's situation (lots of offensive talent, weak frontcourt, fastbreak prospects) that trade was a no brainer, especially with all the assets they had, some of which they already transformed into easier to fill needs (waiters->wings + mozgov), other still waiting to be used ( haywood contract).

2swift4u
01-25-2015, 09:53 AM
J.R. has really been a great fit so far. Mainly because he's a much better spot up shooter than Waiters. I'd go so far and say that J.R. was the reason the Cavs were able to turn it around and win a couple in a row. Of course Lebron had something to do with it as well but it was J.R who started it when he was on fire against the Suns. Even though they lost that game it was the first time I saw some positive energy in this Cavs team in a long time. Ever since that moment the team has looked much better.

Mozgov seems to be a great fit too. I've never really paid much attention to him before but he's got some solid skills and knows how to play basketball. Seems to be a better defender/rebounder than Andy V and that's exactly what the Cavs need.