PDA

View Full Version : Who is the most physically untalented player to last in the NBA?

MavsSuperFan
01-19-2015, 10:10 PM
Post 1980s era players only.
In terms of lacking height, size, strength, speed etc.

SexSymbol
01-19-2015, 10:12 PM
Steve Kerr?

Smook A.
01-19-2015, 10:16 PM
Larry Bird. He only had good height, but that's it.

sp6r=underrated
01-19-2015, 10:22 PM
I'm only including rotation players in my analysis because a lot of the truly end of the bench guys are really Assistant Coaches who are listed as players simply because it will help them reach the actual players on the team. Phil Jackson kept Jack Haley around simply because he knew how to talk to Rodman not for any ability.

Height is obviously the most important physical characteristic for making the NBA. The average NBA player is 6'7 which means the average player would be the tallest person out of a random sample of a thousand people in a room.

With that in mind I would nominate Muggsy Bogus for consideration. He had other physical gifts but it is almost shocking that someone who is only 5'3 could play in the NBA. At that height you are a massive defensive liability in any half court setting. He may not have been the least physically gifted but he is up there. I bring him up because I suspect this list will be incorrectly dominated by 3 pt shooters.

SexSymbol
01-19-2015, 10:22 PM
Long as **** arms, pretty strong for his frame, extremely coordinated

ZMonkey11
01-19-2015, 10:24 PM
The only unathletic players in the league have size.

If Mike Miller was 6'4" or below, he would not be in the league.

If you took height away, then you could put out a pretty lengthy list.

SexSymbol
01-19-2015, 10:24 PM
I'm only including rotation players in my analysis because a lot of the truly end of the bench guys are really Assistant Coaches who are listed as players simply because it will help them reach the actual players on the team. Phil Jackson kept Jack Haley around simply because he knew how to talk to Rodman not for any ability.

Height is obviously the most important physical characteristic for making the NBA. The average NBA player is 6'7 which means the average player would be the tallest person out of a random sample of a thousand people in a room.

With that in mind I would nominate Muggsy Bogus for consideration. He had other physical gifts but it is almost shocking that someone who is only 5'3 could play in the NBA. At that height you are a massive defensive liability in any half court setting. He may not have been the least physically gifted but he is up there. I bring him up because I suspect this list will be incorrectly dominated by 3 pt shooters.

Wow, a seemingly great new poster
It's sad that you will resort to trolling after you realize what this place is.
Such wasted potential:cry:

JimmyMcAdocious
01-19-2015, 10:26 PM
Probably some end of the bench, white, scrub guard, who could literally only shoot kind of well. Couldn't handle, can't trust playmaking, bad defense, likely strong leader. Played in the 80s.

ArbitraryWater
01-19-2015, 10:27 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

sp6r=underrated
01-19-2015, 10:27 PM

yeah Bird doesn't belong anywhere near this list. People have too narrow scope when evaluating players physically. Many people simply focus entirely on speed and jumping ability and ignore everyone else. I got into a very lengthy argument years ago in which I remember people strongly arguing that T-Mac was more physically gifted for playing basketball than Shaq. It was an absurd position but many people hold it because they just ignore size in evaluating physical gifts.

KNOW1EDGE
01-19-2015, 10:28 PM
Good/intriguing question, OP.

I'm trying to think of all the short, un-athletic white boys that have played in the league. Lol

I'd say Chris Quinn.

Odinn
Eric Dampier. Nuff said.

tpols
Probably some end of the bench, white, scrub guard, who could literally only shoot kind of well. Couldn't handle, can't trust playmaking, bad defense, likely strong leader. Played in the 80s.
Delladova maybe.. Idk how that guys in the nba

KNOW1EDGE
01-19-2015, 10:30 PM

Lmfao! Future repped! Holy sh1t! :cheers:

magnax1
01-19-2015, 10:31 PM
Derek Fisher had little talent except for his strength.

CavaliersFTW
01-19-2015, 10:32 PM
Actually I read that his wingspan was the same as his height, 6-9, so his arms weren't long at all relative to what is expected in the NBA.

He was extremely coordinated though.

ProfessorMurder
01-19-2015, 10:36 PM
Manute Bol.

MavsSuperFan
01-19-2015, 10:47 PM
The only unathletic players in the league have size.

If Mike Miller was 6'4" or below, he would not be in the league.

If you took height away, then you could put out a pretty lengthy list.
you cant take height away though as that is the most critical physical asset for an nba player

sp6r=underrated
01-19-2015, 10:49 PM
Manute Bol.

Manute Bol only made the NBA because of his absurd physical gift. Raw physical talent was the thing that got him to the NBA.

sp6r=underrated
01-19-2015, 10:50 PM
you cant take height away though as that is the most critical physical asset for an nba player

exactly it would be as if we were having a debate over who had the easiest start in life and I said well ignoring the fact John was the child of billionaires he had it pretty rough.

ProfessorMurder
01-19-2015, 10:55 PM
Manute Bol only made the NBA because of his absurd physical gift. Raw physical talent was the thing that got him to the NBA.
Can't jump, can't run, messed up hand, arthritis, weighed 20 pounds.

Talent = /= being tall.

All he had to to was put his arms up and shoot a 3 once in a while because he couldn't rim run. He had 0 going for him physically other than his height, and he wasn't particularly skilled at anything.

RoseCity07
01-19-2015, 11:06 PM
Matt Bonner?

sp6r=underrated
01-19-2015, 11:08 PM
Can't jump, can't run, messed up hand, arthritis, weighed 20 pounds.

Talent = /= being tall.

All he had to to was put his arms up and shoot a 3 once in a while because he couldn't rim run. He had 0 going for him physically other than his height, and he wasn't particularly skilled at anything.

The definition of talent:

1. a special natural ability or aptitude: a talent for drawing.
2. a capacity for achievement or success; ability:

If you take two people with the same skill-set and luck the person who succeeds better is the more talented of the two.

Height obviously makes it easier to make the NBA. The percentile information I listed on the first makes that conclusively clear. Manute Bol only started playing basketball in his late teenage years and never developed any real basketball skills. As an aside, he couldn't shoot threes, his team just put him out there to get him out of the way. Despite the absence of skills and practice he had a long career in the NBA. That is evidence for him being physically talented not lacking in physical talent.

D-FENS
01-19-2015, 11:08 PM

Amazing timing and instincts, decent athletic ability when younger, excellent foot work, hand eye coordination. Sorry, he's very physically talented.

I'm leaning more towards a guy like Jon Koncak

StrongLurk
01-19-2015, 11:10 PM
No one above 6'4" can be mentioned in this thread

Bandito
01-19-2015, 11:12 PM
Lin /thread

chosen_one6
01-19-2015, 11:13 PM
I can't believe there's two pages and no mention of Andre Miller or Brian Scalabrine.

sp6r=underrated
01-19-2015, 11:13 PM
Amazing timing and instincts, decent athletic ability when younger, excellent foot work, hand eye coordination. Sorry, he's very physically talented.

I'm leaning more towards a guy like Jon Koncak

Jon Koncak was a 7 fter when there were still very few foreign players in the NBA.

[QUOTE]The curve shaped by the CDC

CavaliersFTW
01-19-2015, 11:24 PM
JJ Barea has the most every-day-citizen measurements on paper of any NBA player that has been successful/lasted in the league for any meaningful amount of time of the past 10 years that has gone through the draft.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jose-Juan-Barea-171/

5-10 without shoes, with a 5-10.75 inch wingspan. The only player in fact, that I'm aware of EVER that has a shorter wingspan than me :D :lol (there have been shorter players, but even guys like Nate Robinson have 6-0+ armspans).

Now that's not to say Barea is an unathletic person at all though. That's just his static measurements on paper. He's also about 180 and that's pretty solidly/stockily built for someone of that height given that he has like no body fat. And he's quick and coordinated as **** the way he can weave in and out of NBA traffic and despite his short arms has good leaping ability because even though he doesn't dunk (those t-rex arms are solely to blame for that I'm sure) he can still get up and grab rim with ease:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RoAzzErg0w

He's the most "normal" guy I can find.

He'd still likely kill any one of us in a competition involving various athletic challenges.

Ray22
01-19-2015, 11:27 PM

:lol

SHAQisGOAT
01-19-2015, 11:29 PM

:coleman:

:facepalm

Must be talking about early-90's Larry Bird as a complete shell, or else you don't know what you're talking about.

He was a 6'9 barefooted, 220+ lbs very coordinated player, with a 28'' vertical (same a Karl Malone's), 9'1'' standing reach, was deceptively quick especially in small spaces, had terrific hand-eye coordination, great footwork, was very strong, had two of the quickest (big) hands, always displayed great stamina, conditioning and endurance (doctors said he was gonna have back problems regardless of playing basketball or messing them up on his mom's driveway)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX8ipponmSc

^ Only good height :rolleyes:

He's a hick-looking whiteboy, guess he must be un-athletic :rolleyes:

boldarblood
01-20-2015, 12:06 AM
Robert Traylor is up there.

ZMonkey11
01-20-2015, 12:08 AM

Yea, that's my point. This list won't go very far because the only players that can stay in the league with zero athleticism are the trees or player/coaches because they don't play.

ZMonkey11
01-20-2015, 12:09 AM
Robert Traylor is up there.

I think he gets put into the strength category. He was just so thick, he could move where he wanted to.

If we could Tractor, you might have to include Oliver Miller. He didn't have an athletic bone in his body. And his bones were thick.

ProfessorMurder
01-20-2015, 12:12 AM
The definition of talent:

If you take two people with the same skill-set and luck the person who succeeds better is the more talented of the two.

Height obviously makes it easier to make the NBA. The percentile information I listed on the first makes that conclusively clear. Manute Bol only started playing basketball in his late teenage years and never developed any real basketball skills. As an aside, he couldn't shoot threes, his team just put him out there to get him out of the way. Despite the absence of skills and practice he had a long career in the NBA. That is evidence for him being physically talented not lacking in physical talent.

One positive doesn't make up for every negative he had physically. If someone can run they automatically have more athletic ability than him. Name one other player that had a jacked up hand and arthritis in their prime. He succeeded despite his body.

The one positive he had kept him in the league, but he had so many weaknesses that a guy like Barea or Andre Miller or Robert Traylor has more natural physical ability.

Manute could only bench 45 pounds.

He was 100/100 in height and a 3/100 in every other category or percentile.

RonSwanson
01-20-2015, 12:18 AM
How the hell has no one said Kyle Anderson? Mofo looks like freaking E.T. and would definitely need a flying bike to get off the ground

turret
01-20-2015, 12:19 AM
raymond felton
Sean May

too much bbq in tobacco road

CavaliersFTW
01-20-2015, 12:21 AM
How the hell has no one said Kyle Anderson? Mofo looks like freaking E.T. and would definitely need a flying bike to get off the ground
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kyle-Anderson-6177/ 6-8 with a 7-2 wingspan? Yeah that's normal every day lack of physical talent right there :biggums:

RonSwanson
01-20-2015, 12:24 AM
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kyle-Anderson-6177/ 6-8 with a 7-2 wingspan? Yeah that's normal every day lack of physical talent right there :biggums:

Too bad he has the reaction speed of a sloth and the acceleration of a Dodge Caravan

D-FENS
01-20-2015, 12:25 AM
Too bad he has the reaction speed of a sloth and the acceleration of a Dodge Caravan

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Droid101
01-20-2015, 12:29 AM
Andre Miller has been physically unable to jump for the last 10 years.

Milbuck
01-20-2015, 12:38 AM
Jared Dudley is my pick. Though at times he does seem capable of movement.

theaussieguy
01-20-2015, 12:39 AM
JJ Barea has the most every-day-citizen measurements on paper of any NBA player that has been successful/lasted in the league for any meaningful amount of time of the past 10 years that has gone through the draft.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jose-Juan-Barea-171/

5-10 without shoes, with a 5-10.75 inch wingspan. The only player in fact, that I'm aware of EVER that has a shorter wingspan than me :D :lol (there have been shorter players, but even guys like Nate Robinson have 6-0+ armspans).

Now that's not to say Barea is an unathletic person at all though. That's just his static measurements on paper. He's also about 180 and that's pretty solidly/stockily built for someone of that height given that he has like no body fat. And he's quick and coordinated as **** the way he can weave in and out of NBA traffic and despite his short arms has good leaping ability because even though he doesn't dunk (those t-rex arms are solely to blame for that I'm sure) he can still get up and grab rim with ease:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RoAzzErg0w

He's the most "normal" guy I can find.

He'd still likely kill any one of us in a competition involving various athletic challenges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivo_5Z-kyhU he can dunk

Akrazotile
01-20-2015, 12:41 AM

Bolded is not true. Listed heights are always inflated. The average NBA player is definitely not 6'7.

sammichoffate
01-20-2015, 01:02 AM
Mike Dunleavy? Glen Davis? It's all subjective tbh

inclinerator
01-20-2015, 01:28 AM
dan dickau

oarabbus
01-20-2015, 03:58 AM
Muggsy Bogues.

I don't care if he was "athletic for his size", he was 5 ****ing 3. Have any of you seen a 5'3" guy recently?

That's ****ing tiny. The fact he was able to average a double double in his prime in a league where the average height of the players on the court besides him was roughly a foot and a half taller (NBA average height ~6'7 - 6'8") is absolutely mindboggling. This guy was playing with people a foot taller minimum (for the most part) who were themselves freakishly athletic.

CavaliersFTW
01-20-2015, 04:05 AM
Muggsy Bogues.

I don't care if he was "athletic for his size", he was 5 ****ing 3. Have any of you seen a 5'3" guy recently?

That's ****ing tiny. The fact he was able to average a double double in his prime in a league where the average height of the players on the court besides him was roughly a foot and a half taller (NBA average height ~6'7 - 6'8") is absolutely mindboggling. This guy was playing with people a foot taller minimum (for the most part) who were themselves freakishly athletic.
NBA average height is 6 foot 6 but yeah, huge difference

hateraid
01-20-2015, 04:19 AM
In terms of longevity and least amount of physical talent I would say it belongs to Dell Curry. He was 6'4 and 195 with no athleticism, yet played 16 years. Which proves having superior shooting as a skill set can prolong your career despite not being gifted is any other aspect.

hateraid
01-20-2015, 04:21 AM
Muggsy Bogues.

Mugsy was also physically strong and deceptively quick, which makes up for being disadvantaged in height. He definitely wasn't physically untalented. He was height challenged

blablabla
01-20-2015, 06:49 AM
Luke Waltons, Chuck Hayes not that tall, not fast, can't jump

artificial
01-20-2015, 07:06 AM
Brian Scalabrine aka Red Mamba

andremiller07
01-20-2015, 07:32 AM
Reggie Evans, undersized, can't jump, not fast literally no touch or feel for scoring, fairly bad defender and still been more than productive and helpful everywhere he's been.

julizaver
01-20-2015, 07:45 AM
Post 1980s era players only.
In terms of lacking height, size, strength, speed etc.

Steve Kerr - 910 NBA games.
Jeff Hornacek comes to mind also - 1 077 NBA games

SexSymbol
01-20-2015, 09:26 AM
Steve Kerr - 910 NBA games.
Jeff Hornacek comes to mind also - 1 077 NBA games
Hornacek had the best conditioning ever seen in the NBA.
Shit if anybody got a 37 rpm thats him

sundizz
01-20-2015, 09:34 AM
Physically untalented has to mean:

Not tall by NBA standards
Not fast by NBA standards
Not agile by NBA standards
Not quick by NBA standards
No hops by NBA standards
Not strong by NBA standards

The culmination of all of that would have to be (only rotational level players from 1993 on):

Andre Miller

mattvNJ
01-20-2015, 09:36 AM
I do not think a lot of poster understand what physically untalented means. Just because they arent Lebron doesnt mean they arent physically talented.

1) Mugsy, 10/10 player who excelled at 5'3" due to his speed and strength if that doesnt translate to physical talent idk what does.

2) Reggie Evans is athletic as hell. Hes very strong and bullies players and sometimes even his own teammates for boards haha. Just very uncoordinated and lacks certain skills necessary to excel in the NBA.

3) Also whoever said Bird, jeeze guy. Maybe in the latter stage of his career but bird was as physically talented as the next guy(strength, moderately quick, skilled).

Good example listed in this thread:

Scal is great example. Was talented in College, but didnt have the athleticism to excel in the NBA. He has a high bball IQ so people kept him on squads and he was universally liked and respected.

SHAQisGOAT
01-20-2015, 09:47 AM
Physically untalented has to mean:

Not tall by NBA standards
Not fast by NBA standards
Not agile by NBA standards
Not quick by NBA standards
No hops by NBA standards
Not strong by NBA standards

The culmination of all of that would have to be (only rotational level players from 1993 on):

Andre Miller

Prime/young Andre Miller is underrated as an athlete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fihKmz35rtI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCm3cETMol0

Also pretty strong at his position...

pudman13
01-20-2015, 09:49 AM
Jeff Hornacek comes to mind.

Bandito
01-20-2015, 10:11 AM
Conclusion to this thread? There is not an uncoordinated nonathletic player so bad that only fundamentals can save him.

sundizz
01-20-2015, 10:13 AM
Conclusion to this thread? There is not an uncoordinated nonathletic player so bad that only fundamentals can save him.

Actually a current Chris Kaman is a good example. He is a pretty damn skilled player but against others at his position he is outmatched athletically by basically everyone.

MP.Trey
01-20-2015, 10:26 AM
Matthew Dellevedova

PistonsFan#21
01-20-2015, 11:18 AM
Andre Miller has been physically unable to jump for the last 10 years.

:coleman:

this was less than 5 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etSJam5VgH8

theaussieguy
01-20-2015, 11:23 AM
Matthew Dellevedova
don't you dare dirty talk the delly, dont you ****ING DARE, LEAVE HIM ALONE U RANCID SWINE

Done_And_Done
01-20-2015, 11:42 AM

Done_And_Done
01-20-2015, 11:48 AM
One positive doesn't make up for every negative he had physically. If someone can run they automatically have more athletic ability than him. Name one other player that had a jacked up hand and arthritis in their prime. He succeeded despite his body.

This was funny to me for whatever reason

Done_And_Done
01-20-2015, 11:50 AM

Oh man, some goodies in this thread

Xiao Yao You
01-20-2015, 12:12 PM
Mark Eaton certainly.

f0und
01-20-2015, 12:16 PM
roy hibbert

big *ss 7 footer
still cant do *hit

AirFederer
01-20-2015, 12:18 PM
Kobe

Leroy Jetson
01-20-2015, 12:19 PM
The Red Rocket, Matt Bonner.

SexSymbol
01-20-2015, 12:22 PM
Kobe
:hammerhead:

Leroy Jetson
01-20-2015, 12:22 PM
Lol, great one, and that's coming from a spurs fan. But just wait in three years Pop will have him playing point forward.

oarabbus
01-20-2015, 03:48 PM
Mugsy was also physically strong and deceptively quick, which makes up for being disadvantaged in height. He definitely wasn't physically untalented. He was height challenged

Yeah... and he was playing against guys who were 6'3" - 6'6"+, and themselves extremely physically strong and deceptively quick.

It absolutely does not make up for being disadvantaged in height.

I'll say it again - have any of you actually seen a 5'3" man recently? Go and find a 5'3" dude who's played ball his whole life and play a couple games with him. I'm sure people here realize what height means to basketball.

5'3", people. That's shorter than the average woman you know.

DukeDelonte13
01-20-2015, 03:56 PM
mark price comes to mind, 6.0'', not especially quick.

duskovujosevic
01-20-2015, 04:11 PM
Scott Skiles. Lock the topic.

http://www.ultimatenba.com/galerias/ScottSkiles/ScottSkiles005.jpg

duskovujosevic
01-20-2015, 04:11 PM
http://images.maxpreps.com/site_images/editorial/article/9/b/1/9b15069e-cbc4-439a-a6d0-115a005e1d4a/c43eafaa-b17f-e211-a211-002655e6c126_original.jpg

Flashbeanie
01-20-2015, 05:57 PM
Discounting small white guys...

Chris Dudley. Terrible shooter and the free throws...

He didn't play much, but who remembers Steve Scheffler on the Sonics? The human victory cigar before Darko.

PsychoBe
01-20-2015, 06:44 PM
mugsy, without a question. dude was 5'3. he was extremely quick, but he had to work at it. steve smith said that he wanted to play point guard because he loved magic and thought he could do it. musgy told him that he would take the point guard spot.

guess who was right?

everything musgy achieved in the nba was due to extremely sound fundamentals and an extremely dedicated work-out regimen. that's literally it. on open court kenny smith said that he used to think there were two of him on the court.

he could have easily given up and did something else with his life, because i'm sure people told him time and time again that he was "too short" to play.

like to put it in perspective, this dude is almost the same ****ing height as the average japanese woman. :facepalm

BigMacAttack
01-20-2015, 07:01 PM

:facepalm :facepalm

No it does not.

I'd say off the top of my head Mugsy is the player who had to overcome the greatest physical or athletic limitations, 5'3 is ****ing tiny.

Droid101
01-20-2015, 07:10 PM
Mike Penberthy. I guess he didn't technically "last" but he did play.

smoovegittar
01-20-2015, 07:20 PM
Thanks for setting the standard here. :facepalm

smoovegittar
01-20-2015, 07:23 PM
Discounting small white guys...

Chris Dudley. Terrible shooter and the free throws...

He didn't play much, but who remembers Steve Scheffler on the Sonics? The human victory cigar before Darko.
The Dudman. Drove me crazy. Best shot he ever hit was the small of Shaq's back after getting posterized. Number 14. I had heard he was a diabetic, and was extremely intelligent. Not that it helped his game...

HurricaneKid
01-20-2015, 07:28 PM
I don't understand why people keep saying Muggsy/Boykins. He was as strong as an ox and benched 300lbs. People would try to post him but they couldn't back him down. He was quick as hell too.

BigMacAttack
01-20-2015, 07:38 PM
I don't understand why people keep saying Muggsy/Boykins. He was as strong as an ox and benched 300lbs. People would try to post him but they couldn't back him down. He was quick as hell too.

Because height and length are the two most important physical measurements in basketball.

PsychoBe
01-20-2015, 07:53 PM
Because height and length are the two most important physical measurements in basketball.

it said the most physically untalented players. benching, speed, and quickness is something we can all obtain with hard work and dedication. height and length is not one of them.

musgy is the only correct answer. end of story.

oarabbus
01-20-2015, 08:08 PM
it said the most physically untalented players. benching, speed, and quickness is something we can all obtain with hard work and dedication. height and length is not one of them.

This. Don't understand how people are even arguing other names in this topic.

Scott Skiles? Matt Dellavedova? Are you ****ing kidding me?

Go up to Dellavedova and tell him, "Yo Matt, we'll make you 'strong as an ox', 'incredibly explosive', 'tough to back down', improve your court vision, and just make you a fantastic athlete in every way... yep you'll be godlike... just one small catch... we're gonna shrink you by a foot and an inch in the process" and the dude will slap you in your ****ing face.

Bogues is the most physically untalented player to last in the league, period.

Poetry
01-20-2015, 08:11 PM

I think OP failed to ask the question correctly.

Physical stature is not a "talent." So it's difficult to think of someone as being physically "untalented."

Maybe he should have asked " Which player had to overcome the most physical limitations to be successful in the NBA?"

Then we could talk about physical stature, vision, bone structure, genetics, and medical conditions.

PsychoBe
01-20-2015, 08:21 PM
I think OP failed to ask the question correctly.

Physical stature is not a "talent." So it's difficult to think of someone as being physically "untalented."

Maybe he should have asked " Which player had to overcome the most physical limitations to be successful in the NBA?"

Then we could talk about physical stature, vision, bone structure, genetics, and medical conditions.

we all knew what the op meant. some people have physical gifts, and some don't. ai didn't have very many physical gifts, but he was a great baller. he was very fast, had a reliable mid-range, excellent endurance, a great finisher, knew how to draw contact and could convert his free throws like he was supposed to. but all of that is something we can all have if we worked at it.

we can all be strong. i have a co-worker who is 5'7 and benches 440. he is a ****ing tank.
we can all be fast. i know a guy who's 5'5 and can run a mile in 6 minutes.
we can all be good shooters.
we can all be good ball handlers.
we can all have good coordination.

but we can't all be 6'6/6'7. why doesn't anyone in this thread understand that? :facepalm

musgy played at the highest level and was literally the most recognizable and well liked player on his team by the fans because everyone appreciated how hard he had to work to get to where he was.

he worked on his speed, his strength, his shooting, his defense, and his basketball knowledge because he knew that he had so much working against him and the fact that he could make it in spite of his height is something that we won't see for a very, very long time.

Poetry
01-20-2015, 08:56 PM
we all knew what the op meant. some people have physical gifts, and some don't.

The question is still confusing, but OP did mention "in terms of lacking height, size, strength, speed etc," so it does partially make sense.

"Physically untalented" is just a strange expression.

tgan3
01-20-2015, 09:00 PM
I am surprised no one mentioned john stockton or steve nash. Sure they were exceptionally skilled and were pretty fast in the younger days ( but then again anyone at that height should be somewhat fast unless they are fat). Based on athletic profile alone they are as normal as it could get. Listed 6'1 and 6'3 and could not dunk, strength and speed wise very ordinary but bball iq , shooting and court vision off the charts.

Poetry
01-20-2015, 09:07 PM
I am surprised no one mentioned john stockton or steve nash.

I actually think they have certain physical advantages over some of the bigger guys. Stockton especially. He was an iron man. That's why I can't blindly side with those that pick guys like Muggsy and Skiles.

BigMacAttack
01-20-2015, 09:21 PM
Its Muggsy.

If you have good height and length but arent very skilled, or fast, or strong compaired to the nba average then you can find minutes aslong as you hustle and play D. Shit if you're 7 foot with good length and hustle you're basically a borderline all star.

kunk75
01-20-2015, 10:18 PM
have you seen him in person? can only go one way, slow as hell, mediocre jump shot that he cannot get off quickly, it's a mystery to me, sketchy handle too

Delladova maybe.. Idk how that guys in the nba

kunk75
01-20-2015, 10:19 PM
steve nash is an exceptional athlete so back to your pringles and pepsi

I am surprised no one mentioned john stockton or steve nash. Sure they were exceptionally skilled and were pretty fast in the younger days ( but then again anyone at that height should be somewhat fast unless they are fat). Based on athletic profile alone they are as normal as it could get. Listed 6'1 and 6'3 and could not dunk, strength and speed wise very ordinary but bball iq , shooting and court vision off the charts.

kunk75
01-20-2015, 10:21 PM
short people can always bench, they have a physical advantage because the ROM is small. show me a guy with long ass arms that can bench, that's tough and impressive

we all knew what the op meant. some people have physical gifts, and some don't. ai didn't have very many physical gifts, but he was a great baller. he was very fast, had a reliable mid-range, excellent endurance, a great finisher, knew how to draw contact and could convert his free throws like he was supposed to. but all of that is something we can all have if we worked at it.

we can all be strong. i have a co-worker who is 5'7 and benches 440. he is a ****ing tank.
we can all be fast. i know a guy who's 5'5 and can run a mile in 6 minutes.
we can all be good shooters.
we can all be good ball handlers.
we can all have good coordination.

but we can't all be 6'6/6'7. why doesn't anyone in this thread understand that? :facepalm

musgy played at the highest level and was literally the most recognizable and well liked player on his team by the fans because everyone appreciated how hard he had to work to get to where he was.

he worked on his speed, his strength, his shooting, his defense, and his basketball knowledge because he knew that he had so much working against him and the fact that he could make it in spite of his height is something that we won't see for a very, very long time.

oarabbus
01-20-2015, 11:20 PM
short people can always bench, they have a physical advantage because the ROM is small. show me a guy with long ass arms that can bench, that's tough and impressive

Nah that's a bullshit excuse used by really tall people who are weak. You realize shorter people have less total muscle mass right? It all evens out. Look at the dudes benching crazy amounts of weight, they're big dudes. The guys who compete at bench competitions are all in the 6'3"+ range.

Again: "short ppl have a smaller range of motion" is a weak excuse used by weak tall people. It might be very slightly proportionally harder to bench the taller you get, but negligible to where it's just whining.

I've never had a jacked, tall friend EVER bitch and moan about how it's harder for them to bench. Because it's not, because they have more total muscle to make up for the difference in ROM.

That is absurd, they are both excellent athletes

kunk75
01-20-2015, 11:31 PM
you can think that but you are wrong, ask any exercise physiologist. i don't really care anyway i'm 6'2 245 with a 6'9+ wingspan and bench over 400. longer arms also give you a pulling advantage so it all evens out. my arms are 20.75" but friends who are short with 17" arms look bigger even though they aren't - i have more space to occupy

Nah that's a bullshit excuse used by really tall people who are weak. You realize shorter people have less total muscle mass right? It all evens out. Look at the dudes benching crazy amounts of weight, they're big dudes. The guys who compete at bench competitions are all in the 6'3"+ range.

Again: "short ppl have a smaller range of motion" is a weak excuse used by weak tall people. It might be very slightly proportionally harder to bench the taller you get, but negligible to where it's just whining.

I've never had a jacked, tall friend EVER bitch and moan about how it's harder for them to bench. Because it's not, because they have more total muscle to make up for the difference in ROM.

That is absurd, they are both excellent athletes

HylianNightmare
01-21-2015, 12:48 AM
I can't believe there's two pages and no mention of Andre Miller or Brian Scalabrine.
Came in to say Miller. Dudes had a long career put up numbers,and dropped 50.
Just look at him

Micku
01-21-2015, 01:35 AM

I came here to say this.

White Mamba doe. Is he like one of the most popular scrubs ever?

Jyap9675
01-21-2015, 01:42 AM
Steve Nash

julizaver
01-21-2015, 02:17 AM
Hornacek had the best conditioning ever seen in the NBA.
Shit if anybody got a 37 rpm thats him

I took the remark, but conditioning is something diferent. Both Kerr and Hornacek from what I remembered fits tottaly in thread description.
Stockton and Nash are not quite unathletic as some posters could think.

duskovujosevic
01-21-2015, 02:30 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/drp/nba/magic/sites/default/files/styles/main_gallery_photo__480_tall/public/legacy/photos/skiles5_700_100511.jpg

Tking714
01-21-2015, 04:07 AM
Damon Jones

andremiller07
01-21-2015, 04:11 AM
have you seen him in person? can only go one way, slow as hell, mediocre jump shot that he cannot get off quickly, it's a mystery to me, sketchy handle too
I honestly doubt Delly would be a elite player in the NBL, he would be a solid player at best.

andremiller07
01-21-2015, 04:13 AM
Came in to say Miller. Dudes had a long career put up numbers,and dropped 50.
Just look at him
Miller was always a decent athlete but he just always played a old man's game, he also post 2003/04 became one of the strongest guards in the NBA.

tgan3
01-21-2015, 02:50 PM
Posters saying stockton or nash are exceptional athletes are so wrong. I know a 5'9 guy in my court who can dunk and is hands down faster and stronger then both nash and stockton. Yet his just an ordinary person a damm good baller but not a pro player.

Rooster
01-21-2015, 03:17 PM
The Red Rocket, Matt Bonner.

This Red Rocket got my vote. 11 years in the league. Steve Novak is on his tail.

Fowl
01-21-2015, 07:58 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/teamsites/images/legacy/lakers/history_49_lakers.jpg

Most of Wilt Chamberlain's competition in the 60s. /thread

Short - Check
Unathletic - Check
Can't Dribble - Check
White - Check

:confusedshrug: