PDA

View Full Version : TRADE IDEA: Pelicans-Rockets (Jrue Holiday)

D-FENS
01-19-2015, 10:55 PM
Pelicans aren't going anywhere and they have large contracts like: Evans, Anderson, Gordon, Holiday and big extensions coming up for Davis and Asik.

With a team salary that high and a mediocre record, it might make sense to downgrade one of their players, save some money and see if it makes a difference.

The Rockets need a difference maker, and someone that can play with the starters at point guard off the ball, as well as leading the second unit.

Holiday is an upgrade from Beverly, but brings the same tough defense and 3 point shooting. Holiday is good at drawing fouls, and can rebound as well as run a team as a pure point guard.

Here's the trade I think should go down:
Pelicans trade:
- Jrue Holiday

Rockets trade:
- Jason Terry (expirer)
- Alexey Shved (expirer)
- Patrick Beverley (expirer)

To me, the Pelicans don't get much worse at all. Beverley is developing into a fine 3 point shooter, and Tyreke Evans can handle ball handling duties. Beverley can be re-signed for about half of what they pay Holiday.

The Rockets get much better with Holiday, but lose depth. They should aim to add Ray Allen, Jordan Hamilton, Josh Howard, Malcolm Lee, Pietrus, Toure Murray, Damian Wilkins, Seth Curry

ralph_i_el
01-19-2015, 11:41 PM
Pelicans aren't going anywhere and they have large contracts like: Evans, Anderson, Gordon, Holiday and big extensions coming up for Davis and Asik.

With a team salary that high and a mediocre record, it might make sense to downgrade one of their players, save some money and see if it makes a difference.

The Rockets need a difference maker, and someone that can play with the starters at point guard off the ball, as well as leading the second unit.

Holiday is an upgrade from Beverly, but brings the same tough defense and 3 point shooting. Holiday is good at drawing fouls, and can rebound as well as run a team as a pure point guard.

Here's the trade I think should go down:
Pelicans trade:
- Jrue Holiday

Rockets trade:
- Jason Terry (expirer)
- Alexey Shved (expirer)
- Patrick Beverley (expirer)

To me, the Pelicans don't get much worse at all. Beverley is developing into a fine 3 point shooter, and Tyreke Evans can handle ball handling duties. Beverley can be re-signed for about half of what they pay Holiday.

The Rockets get much better with Holiday, but lose depth. They should aim to add Ray Allen, Jordan Hamilton, Josh Howard, Malcolm Lee, Pietrus, Toure Murray, Damian Wilkins, Seth Curry

Josh Howard :facepalm wut

D-FENS
01-19-2015, 11:47 PM
Josh Howard :facepalm wut

That's what you got from the thread?

SwishSquared
01-20-2015, 12:14 AM
I actually think the Rockets would pass, but would get more interested if the Pelicans remove all protections on that 2015 first rounder and maybe had a signing or two (or additional trade) lined up prior to the completion of this trade. Even though they improve in overall talent at starting PG, I'm not sure if the Rockets would be satisfied with the rest of the guard rotation after losing Terry + Schved, given who's currently available.

Terry's been pretty solid for them and Sched doesn't get much PT. They're both replaceable bench players, but I'm unsure if that production can be replaced given the current FAs (maybe they look @ Nate?). Maybe some more guys get bought out. Beyond the back-ups, I think HOU wants more flexibility this offseason and wouldn't want to commit to an 8 figure salary for a nice PG, but not somebody that'll get double Beverly's pay (we're assuming) that's not necessarily a championship-caliber third option.

It'd be a great salary dump for the Pellies though. It'd probably be best for HOU this season, but not sure how their future plans would work out.

imdaman99
01-20-2015, 12:16 AM
Jrue is a really good defender himself and I'm sure he won't be in foul trouble every playoff game like that dirty goon Beverly would be.

D-FENS
01-20-2015, 12:20 AM
I actually think the Rockets would pass, but would get more interested if the Pelicans remove all protections on that 2015 first rounder and maybe had a signing or two (or additional trade) lined up prior to the completion of this trade. Even though they improve in overall talent at starting PG, I'm not sure if the Rockets would be satisfied with the rest of the guard rotation after losing Terry + Schved, given who's currently available.

Terry's been pretty solid for them and Sched doesn't get much PT. They're both replaceable bench players, but I'm unsure if that production can be replaced given the current FAs (maybe they look @ Nate?). Maybe some more guys get bought out. Beyond the back-ups, I think HOU wants more flexibility this offseason and wouldn't want to commit to an 8 figure salary for a nice PG, but not somebody that'll get double Beverly's pay (we're assuming) that's not necessarily a championship-caliber third option.

It'd be a great salary dump for the Pellies though. It'd probably be best for HOU this season, but not sure how their future plans would work out.

Nice analysis. My only concern is that Holiday has been injured and isn't the best at beating his man off the dribble, but then again that's Harden's forte.

They could always look to trade Terrence Jones for a back-up guard - I;m sure they could turn him into a decent player

D-FENS
01-21-2015, 07:58 PM
Any more thoughts on this?

SwishSquared
01-21-2015, 08:02 PM
Any more thoughts on this?
He's out 2-4 weeks with a right leg injury, the same leg he injured last season. I still don't think the Rockets take on his salary given his propensity to get hurt. Plus, if NOP are stuck with him, it can help HOU have a better draft pick. New Orleans will need luck to get into top 3 regardless, so HOU may as well look forward to a potential mid lotto pick now.