Paul: 21/12/4 on 49/37/85 in 38 minutes

Jlamb47
01-21-2015, 03:53 PM
08 CP3 > Curry

Cp3 better defender and playmaker. Curry only has shooting over Cp3

Heavincent
01-21-2015, 03:56 PM
Cp3 better defender and playmaker.

Debatable. Curry is a very good defender and forces a lot of turnovers with his quick hands.

qrich
01-21-2015, 04:00 PM
Turnovers: 2.5 vs 3.2
AST/TO: 4.6 vs 2.5

ImKobe
01-21-2015, 04:01 PM
08 CP3 lost a game 7 at home despite being a 2 seed and having David West, Peja & Tyson Chandler and despite Duncan playing below-average,

Jlamb47
Debatable. Curry is a very good defender and forces a lot of turnovers with his quick hands.

Hes a decent defender IMO, he does force turnovers but Cp3 did as well, and led the league in steals numerous of times. he also pressured PG's more and gaurded 2 gaurds as well.
CP3 handled the rock and took care of the ball better

Mr. I'm So Rad
08 CP3 > Curry

Cp3 better defender and playmaker. Curry only has shooting over Cp3

Curry is probably the best playmaker in the league. He's the most dangerous offensive weapon right now. He makes plays even by being off of the ball, something CP3 has never done

Smoke117
01-21-2015, 04:02 PM

It really isn't.

Heavincent
01-21-2015, 04:04 PM
It really isn't.

Guess you haven't watched any Warriors games this year...or you just weren't paying attention. Curry's defense has been fantastic.

And yes, Paul gets the edge in playmaking with his insane assist/TO ratio, while Curry gets the edge in scoring/shooting.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-21-2015, 04:04 PM
08 CP3 lost in the first round
Uhh, were you watching then? Paul's Hornets took the Spurs to 7 games...in the semi finals.

ImKobe
01-21-2015, 04:06 PM
Uhh, were you watching then? Paul's Hornets took the Spurs to 7 games...in the semi finals.

I was, and re-read my post lol. I forgot they matched up in the semis and fixed it as soon as I posted it.

Jlamb47
01-21-2015, 04:06 PM
Guess you haven't watched any Warriors games this year...or you just weren't paying attention. Curry's defense has been fantastic.

And yes, Paul gets the edge in playmaking with his insane assist/TO ratio, while Curry gets the edge in scoring/shooting.

Steph Curry is a good defender not elite, Barnes and thompson are really the perimeter threat on D

Paul in 08 was elite on D, his playmaking is insane but scoring was good as well.

Curry > Paul in scoring but not by alot, CP3 could put up 25PPG but hes just too unselfish and looks to dish first

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-21-2015, 04:12 PM
I was, and re-read my post lol. I forgot they matched up in the semis and fixed it as soon as I posted it.
Nice ninja edit, though ... :pimp:

Anyway, I would say they're roughly equal. Curry is the better scorer, while Chris was and still is more under control and likelier to "get his" against the elite defensive teams.

SwishSquared
01-21-2015, 04:21 PM
'08 CP3 imo. Curry's taken a leap defensively, but CP3 was still better on that end imo. Took better care of the ball and had more of an onus to be a playmaker than Curry (mostly the result of the system, so perhaps this is a wash actually). '14-'15 GSW coaching staff > '07-'08 NOH coaching staff. I also think GSW have a better bench, but I'm going off memory right now, so maybe this too is a wash. Curry's the better shooter and a better floor spacer, no question.

CP3 lost a home Game 7 to the Spurs in the second round in his first playoff appearance, which came in his 3rd year. Pretty sure that was like a 5 point game with 1 minute left or something.

But isn't this the best year by a PG since that CP3 season? I mean Curry's been a monster. This is a close debate, but I think CP3 was individually better that year and had a worse coaching staff and depth than this year's Warriors.

Genaro
01-21-2015, 04:29 PM
Give me CP. Curry has been the best player in the NBA this season but CP played out of his mind that year. He was better defensively and a better floor general offensively. He could score pretty well too but he chose to beat the opponent with his passing.

bizil
01-21-2015, 04:33 PM
Give me CP. Curry has been the best player in the NBA this season but CP played out of his mind that year. He was better defensively and a better floor general offensively. He could score pretty well too but he chose to beat the opponent with his passing.

I agree with that! CP3 is a true pass first PG, great defender, and can be the alpha dog all in one. That 08 season really showed that! Now in terms of all around offensive skill level, Curry is as good as ANY PG to ever do it! It's just that CP3 from an all around floor game standpoint is the superior player.

swagga
01-21-2015, 05:05 PM
I agree with that! CP3 is a true pass first PG, great defender, and can be the alpha dog all in one. That 08 season really showed that! Now in terms of all around offensive skill level, Curry is as good as ANY PG to ever do it! It's just that CP3 from an all around floor game standpoint is the superior player.

cmon son magic johnson isn't a pg anymore or what?
currys passing isn't even in the same discussion with cp3 and cp3 is/was also a 20+ ppg scorer, so one can argue cp3 passing + offensive game generated more points per possesion than curry.
then you got guys like stockton who got you 17 and 14 a night, which also generates far more points per possession than curry.

I swear to god you people overrate the fck out of shooting the ball. offensive pg skills means team production, it don't matter if it comes from penetration when the shot is not falling, finishing hard at the rim, posting up, commanding a double team, pacing the game, offensive rebounding, fastbreak expertise and so on.

Curry has alot to learn to be compared with truly elite offensive pgs. He is a very good player but no way is he a superstar or mvp. He is an mvp like rose is an mvp. A good all star player on a stacked team.

The only mvp level players in the L right now are lebron, durant, davis and MAYBE harden if he keeps it up (PO too).

swagga
01-21-2015, 05:07 PM
imo curry is more of a 2 anyway.

bizil
01-21-2015, 05:11 PM
currys passing isn't even in the same discussion with cp3 and cp3 is/was also a 20+ ppg scorer, so one can argue cp3 passing + offensive game generated more points per possesion than curry.
then you got guys like stockton who got you 17 and 14 a night, which also generates far more points per possession than curry.

I swear to god you people overrate the fck out of shooting the ball. offensive pg skills means team production, it don't matter if it comes from penetration when the shot is not falling, finishing hard at the rim, posting up, commanding a double team, pacing the game, offensive rebounding, fastbreak expertise and so on.

Curry has alot to learn to be compared with truly elite offensive pgs. He is a very good player but no way is he a superstar or mvp. He is an mvp like rose is an mvp. A good all star player on a stacked team.

The only mvp level players in the L right now are lebron, durant, davis and MAYBE harden if he keeps it up (PO too).

What I mean is shooting, passing, and dribbling as a package. In terms of offense in general, Magic is the superior player and best offensive player at PG. I would say he and Big O. The thing is RESULTS and SKILLSET are two different things. For example, Curry has a better scoring skillset than Westbrook. But in terms of RESULTS they are equal in scoring to me. Hakeem had A BETTER SCORING skillset than Shaq. But in terms of scoring RESULTS in general, they are EQUAL!!

So looking at Steph, HE DOES COMBINE great shooting and great handles BETTER than any PG ever. He's also evolved into a very good-great passer too. So in that realm, he's BETTER than Magic in terms of combining the skills of shooting, dribbling, and passing as a package. Magic is clearly the better player and more potent offensive weapon. But in terms of ALL AROUND FUNDAMENTAL OFFENSIVE SKILL LEVEL (which does include shooting), Steph doesn't take a backseat to ANY PG!!

Thechosen1
01-21-2015, 05:23 PM
why do people always talk about cp3 in 08? when he was twenty times better in 09? CP before the first knee injury in the 09 season was the greatest point guard in NBA History...period....shame he got hurt...he was gonna do some crazy things in the NBA...now hes a fat **** thats slow and will never win shit....stop bringing up the cliche version of CP as him in 08....because he was way better the season after.

and to answer the thread...its cp3 and its not even close

Milbuck
01-21-2015, 05:24 PM

He's talking about skill level, not production or dominance. Curry's skill level really is insane. He can shoot at a GOAT level, he's a top 3 ball handler in the league with a case for the best, he has great footwork, craftiness in the paint, touch around the rim, not to mention his dangerous off-ball game, his extremely underrated passing/playmaking ability, etc.

If you're not gonna listen to facts about his visible game, and throw out generalizations about team production..maybe numbers might help. I don't use these metrics religiously, but maybe it might offer some perspective..

Curry's net on/off this year is +20.5. Warriors offense is 15.7 points better with him on the floor, defense is 4.9 points better. They shoot 57% eFG with him, just under 50% eFG without him. And this isn't a fluke season...last year it was +15.1 in the regular season, +37.0 in the playoffs...and the playoffs before that in 2013, he was at +25.3.

Last season he was 2nd among PGs in RPM, behind CP3 and ahead of Westbrook. This year not only is he #1 in RPM for PGs by a significant margin, he's #1 in the entire league and almost 2 full points ahead of #2 Anthony Davis.

Curry is an extremely high impact player...people aren't just rating him highly because he's an unreal shooter..they do it because he really is one of the most offensively skilled PGs ever and is leading what is right now the best team in basketball.

If Curry wins MVP it'll be because he is a bonafide ELITE player in this league and he's the main dude on an ELITE team. There's nothing weak about it.

bizil
01-21-2015, 05:30 PM
imo curry is more of a 2 anyway.

Well most of the elite PG's today are more score first or combo guards anyway. The only elite PG's who are pass first are CP3, Rondo, and Wall. A guy like Rubio is more pass first too.

But of all the score first OR combo style PG's today, Steph IS the best passer and floor general of the bunch. So that BASICALLY means in today's game he's a better passer and floor general than 98% of PG's in the league. ONLY CP3, Wall, Rondo,Rubio, or a point forward like Bron would be better passers and floor generals.

SamuraiSWISH
01-21-2015, 05:45 PM
2008 CP3
2011 D. Rose
2015 Curry
2015 Westbrook

bizil
01-21-2015, 05:46 PM
He's talking about skill level, not production or dominance. Curry's skill level really is insane. He can shoot at a GOAT level, he's a top 3 ball handler in the league with a case for the best, he has great footwork, craftiness in the paint, touch around the rim, not to mention his dangerous off-ball game, his extremely underrated passing/playmaking ability, etc.

If you're not gonna listen to facts about his visible game, and throw out generalizations about team production..maybe numbers might help. I don't use these metrics religiously, but maybe it might offer some perspective..

Curry's net on/off this year is +20.5. Warriors offense is 15.7 points better with him on the floor, defense is 4.9 points better. They shoot 57% eFG with him, just under 50% eFG without him. And this isn't a fluke season...last year it was +15.1 in the regular season, +37.0 in the playoffs...and the playoffs before that in 2013, he was at +25.3.

Last season he was 2nd among PGs in RPM, behind CP3 and ahead of Westbrook. This year not only is he #1 in RPM for PGs by a significant margin, he's #1 in the entire league and almost 2 full points ahead of #2 Anthony Davis.

Curry is an extremely high impact player...people aren't just rating him highly because he's an unreal shooter..they do it because he really is one of the most offensively skilled PGs ever and is leading what is right now the best team in basketball.

If Curry wins MVP it'll be because he is a bonafide ELITE player in this league and he's the main dude on an ELITE team. There's nothing weak about it.

Thank u sir! An intelligent poster who knows how to comprehend! I think one thing TRUE STUDENTS of the game have over fans of the game (major difference by the way) is knowing the difference between RESULTS and SKILL LEVEL! Everybody knows Magic is the GOAT PG and rightfully so. Because dominance and production is the main criteria when examining a player.

The thing is players EXHIBIT their dominance differently. Everybody has a different skillset. Steph just so happens to be one of the few PG's EVER to legit have great shooting and great handles in one. And with those handles he will go to the rack OR pull up for deep 3's.

Offensive skillset entails shooting, passing, dribbling, and craftiness (footwork, fakes, etc). The more areas of the floor u can utilize that skillset the better. Offensive dominance in general implies production and numbers. Two DIFFERENT concepts that students of the game know how to study and look at.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-21-2015, 05:48 PM
2008 CP3
2011 D. Rose
2015 Curry
2015 Westbrook
We gotta see how he adjusts in the postseason, but this version of Curry, so far, is a better player than Rose has ever been.

I value efficiency, shooting, and defense though.

SamuraiSWISH
01-21-2015, 05:51 PM
We gotta see how they perform in the playoffs, but this version of Curry is a better player than Rose has ever been.

I value efficiency, shooting, and defense though.
Disagree.

He's simply a more skilled shooter. Plays on a way more talented team with much higher comparative offensive pace to inflate statistics.

Otherwise production was the same although Derrick shouldered a larger actual percentage of his teams offense. Took over more games in the clutch as well as more frequently out played elite PG contemporaries.

And even though he's improved Derrick was still a better defender. Curry doesn't always have the same feel or indomitable will to know when to take over games like 2011 Derrick Rose.

That's my perspective and I've yet to be convinced otherwise. Had nothing to do with Chicago hometown bias either. Because 2008 CP3 was a better player and PG.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-21-2015, 05:55 PM
Disagree.

He's simply a more skilled shooter. Plays on a way more talented team with much higher comparative offensive pace to inflate statistics.

Otherwise production was the same although Derrick shouldered a larger actual percentage of his teams offense. Took over more games in the clutch as well as more frequently out played elite PG contemporaries.

And even though he's improved Derrick was still a better defender. Curry doesn't always have the same feel or indomitable will to know when to take over games like 2011 Derrick Rose.

That's my perspective and I've yet to be convinced otherwise. Had nothing to do with Chicago hometown bias either. Because 2008 CP3 was a better player and PG.

Rose was great, but he essentially flamed out in the postseason, or more specifically in the conference finals against Miami. I'll hold off on making a definitive claim, as I'm basically just ranking them as I see it today, without the sample size.

Agreed on CP3 when it pertains to being the purer player at his position.

Doranku
01-21-2015, 05:55 PM
2008 CP3
2011 D. Rose
2015 Curry
2015 Westbrook
:biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

You think Curry would shoot 6% against Bran? C'mon now.

T_L_P
01-21-2015, 05:57 PM
why do people always talk about cp3 in 08? when he was twenty times better in 09? CP before the first knee injury in the 09 season was the greatest point guard in NBA History...period....shame he got hurt...he was gonna do some crazy things in the NBA...now hes a fat **** thats slow and will never win shit....stop bringing up the cliche version of CP as him in 08....because he was way better the season after.

and to answer the thread...its cp3 and its not even close

You know, I remember 08 Paul being > 09 Paul, but I was just looking at the numbers and you are probably right.

For comparison:

08 Paul averaged 21.1/4.0/11.6/2.7/0.1/2.5, with a TS% of .576

09 Paul averaged 22.8/5.5/11.0/2.8/0.2/3.0 TOV, TS% of .599

08: 28.3 PER, 17.8 WS (lead the league), .284 WS/48 (lead the league), 8.1 OBPM, 0.5 DBPM, 8.6 BPM, 8.0 VORP

09: 30.0 PER, 18.3 WS, .292 WS/48, 8.9 OBPM, 1.4 DBPM, 10.3 BPM, 9.4 VORP

:biggums:

I think people remember 08 more fondly (I do too) because he was the best player in the league that Regular Season (sorry Kobe fans), whereas in 09 LeBron and Wade peaked (that was one of the best top-heavy star seasons ever).

Anyway, to answer the OP: Paul. Wouldn't think twice about it. I'm still not convinced current Curry is better than Paul (we shall see in the Playoffs).

SamuraiSWISH
01-21-2015, 05:58 PM
:biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

You think Curry would shoot 6% against Bran? C'mon now.
Of course not ... Curry's team had WAY more offensive help. They wouldn't be able to zone up on him with all their defensive attention. Learn the game. Or at least understand what you're watching.

Doranku
01-21-2015, 06:05 PM
Of course not ... Curry's team had WAY more offensive help. They wouldn't be able to zone up on him with all their defensive attention. Learn the game. Or at least understand what you're watching.

"It's hard where a guy, he's running at top speed, he can easily catch up with you," Rose said. "It's extremely hard where a 6-8 guy can easily defend you."

Looks like Derrick Rose should learn the game too.

SamuraiSWISH
01-21-2015, 06:10 PM
Looks like Derrick Rose should learn the game too.
Because there was no other offensive options the Heat had to respect. How do you not get this?

As a team Miami zoned up on Derrick's greatest strength ... off dribble drives and dared him to shoot contested jumpers over THEN DPOY caliber man defense from 6'8 genetically created super freak athlete.

Hell Kobe played with prime Shaq and let Tayshaun Prince do the same thing to his jumper. Shot a piss poor percentage in his prime as a 7 year vet.

Derrick was in his 3rd season only.

And Kobe is obviously way more skilled than Derrick. Curry under same conditions and context of teammates would fair maybe marginally better. He lacked the size to shoot over LeBron.

Curry's push set shot would be even more prone to LeBron's freakish athleticism and length.