PDA

View Full Version : Portland-LAL Trade Idea: Who Says No?

SwishSquared
01-22-2015, 07:32 PM
In light of Kobe's most recent injury & Portland without their starting PF & C, both teams could consider this trade:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mqoqfwl

Portland sends a top 10 protected 2015 first rounder.

Who says no?

If you don't wanna follow the link:
LAL Receive: T-Rob + McCollum + D. Wright
Portland Receives: Lin + Wes Johnson + Ed Davis

KobesFinger
01-22-2015, 07:39 PM
I'd probably take it honestly. Robinson and Wright are expiring so it won't interfere with the free agency plan, and we get a 1st rounder. Only thing is I like Ed Davis, but players like him are a dime-a-dozen

Inferno
01-22-2015, 07:40 PM
Portland takes that IMO

They Won
01-22-2015, 07:42 PM
Makes sense. Portland would probably then re-package Lin to another team though.

TheMarkMadsen
01-22-2015, 07:45 PM
why would LA trade Davis for basically nothing? His contract is an absolute steal

a first round pick from portland? No thanks..

Rooster
01-22-2015, 07:48 PM
why would LA trade Davis for basically nothing? His contract is an absolute steal

a first round pick from portland? No thanks..

He has a player option this year and he already said he will exercise it. I think this a good trade for the Lakers and that first rounder is a no brainer.

HurricaneKid
01-22-2015, 08:04 PM
Portland takes that IMO

Why on earth would they trade cost controlled young players for garbage? Port wouldn't give any one of those plays for that poo poo platter. I mean the Lakers are getting a 1st rd pick for taking on Lin this year. You think they are going to get actual assets for him? Seriously??

Wes wouldn't make the rotation in Port. Ed Davis is opting out after this year and will be a UFA. The three Lakers together are worth less than nothing (a player with a negative contract).

I hate it when trade ideas are floated here. They are never close to anything that could happen.

sammichoffate
01-22-2015, 08:07 PM
The trade is good for LA, but what's Portland's main goal from this trade? Is it just depth right now?

SwishSquared
01-22-2015, 08:32 PM
Why on earth would they trade cost controlled young players for garbage? Port wouldn't give any one of those plays for that poo poo platter. I mean the Lakers are getting a 1st rd pick for taking on Lin this year. You think they are going to get actual assets for him? Seriously??

Wes wouldn't make the rotation in Port. Ed Davis is opting out after this year and will be a UFA. The three Lakers together are worth less than nothing (a player with a negative contract).

I hate it when trade ideas are floated here. They are never close to anything that could happen.
Considering Wes Johnson is shooting 3s better than Batum, and the fact that RoLo might not be back for a while and that LMA's thumb might force him to miss some time, this was drawn up as a "patchwork" trade. Portland could make a Finals run, but their frontcourt is facing a bad situation right now.

Ed Davis is a solid role player and Wes Johnson is very quietly a productive player this season. This trade is essentially expiring contracts swapped for one another & McCollum + a late first for Davis. I think that's fair value for Davis, but maybe I overrate him and underrate McCollum.

The trade is good for LA, but what's Portland's main goal from this trade? Is it just depth right now?
LMA might miss time with a thumb injury and I think RoLo might be out a little while longer. They don't have much frontcourt depth right now and Batum's mostly shot poorly this year compared to his career averages. Portland reportedly won't surrounder a first round pick in a package for Wilson Chandler, so I thought of this as an alternate trade that could bolster their bench.

imnew09
01-22-2015, 08:38 PM
Good trade for LAL but Blazers say no. Lin's expiring next season but still paying 15mil :facepalm when they got Lillard and Steve Blake.

sammichoffate
01-22-2015, 08:44 PM
Considering Wes Johnson is shooting 3s better than Batum, and the fact that RoLo might not be back for a while and that LMA's thumb might force him to miss some time, this was drawn up as a "patchwork" trade. Portland could make a Finals run, but their frontcourt is facing a bad situation right now.

Ed Davis is a solid role player and Wes Johnson is very quietly a productive player this season. This trade is essentially expiring contracts swapped for one another & McCollum + a late first for Davis. I think that's fair value for Davis, but maybe I overrate him and underrate McCollum.

LMA might miss time with a thumb injury and I think RoLo might be out a little while longer. They don't have much frontcourt depth right now and Batum's mostly shot poorly this year compared to his career averages. Portland reportedly won't surrounder a first round pick in a package for Wilson Chandler, so I thought of this as an alternate trade that could bolster their bench.This is a great idea then, although I don't think the Blazers will lose their positioning too badly before the playoffs start. If the pick is like 15-30, the Lakers would be smart to jump on this. I like Davis and sorta like Johnson, but they're ultimately expendable tbh. Doing this trade would give them possibly 5 picks in the upcoming draft, three in the first round if they keep tanking to keep their lottery pick.

qrich
01-22-2015, 08:45 PM
Don't see Portland giving up a first with McCollum for 1/2 season of Ed Davis and a pile of steaming left over free agents.

sammichoffate
01-22-2015, 08:50 PM
Don't see Portland giving up a first with McCollum for 1/2 season of Ed Davis and a pile of steaming left over free agents.It's not as bad as it seems because they pretty much have their core in place at this point, might as well go for it. The expirers also give them a bit more flexibility to get that last guy, maybe a sixth man off the bench to lead that second unit.

qrich
01-22-2015, 08:55 PM
It's not as bad as it seems because they pretty much have their core in place at this point, might as well go for it. The expirers also give them a bit more flexibility to get that last guy, maybe a sixth man off the bench to lead that second unit.

So they give up a first and McCollum to acquire expirings and a 4th option big man?

sammichoffate
01-22-2015, 09:00 PM
So they give up a first and McCollum to acquire expirings and a 4th option big man?It's basically McCollum+Late 1st for Davis. I don't watch Blazer games, but I think Blake is the main backup so McCollum probably doesn't get many minutes. I would like a Blazer fan to let me know if i'm wrong though. Also, Davis is a quality backup big. He's not a post scorer, but he can grab a ton of boards, block shots, and run the floor because he's so athletic. It's an even trade tbh, OP deserves credit for thinking of it. I doubt that either team will do it though, Portland will just wait for LMA and Lopez to return and the Lakers want to try and resign Davis at the end of the season.

qrich
01-22-2015, 09:03 PM
It's basically McCollum+Late 1st for Davis. I don't watch Blazer games, but I think Blake is the main backup so McCollum probably doesn't get many minutes. I would like a Blazer fan to let me know if i'm wrong though. Also, Davis is a quality backup big. He's not a post scorer, but he can grab a ton of boards, block shots, and run the floor because he's so athletic. It's an even trade tbh, OP deserves credit for thinking of it

McCollum might not get burn now, but he's on a cheap deal and will most likely be the backup combo guard for years to come.

Ed Davis would be behind Robin Lopez, Chris Kaman and LaMarcus Aldridge on the pecking order, battling for time with Joel Daniel Freeland, while leaving the team next year, and that is absolutely not worth a young combo guard and a first round pick when they can get someone like Reggie Evans or even Glen Davis for a 2nd if they really wanted to add a 4th/5th big man, while keeping assets. It'd be one thing if Davis had another year on his deal, but it is clear his intentions are to opt out and test the market.

sammichoffate
01-22-2015, 09:08 PM
McCollum might not get burn now, but he's on a cheap deal and will most likely be the backup combo guard for years to come.

Ed Davis would be behind Robin Lopez, Chris Kaman and LaMarcus Aldridge on the pecking order, battling for time with Joel Daniel Freeland, while leaving the team next year, and that is absolutely not worth a young combo guard and a first round pick when they can get someone like Reggie Evans or even Glen Davis for a 2nd if they really wanted to add a 4th/5th big man, while keeping assets. It'd be one thing if Davis had another year on his deal, but it is clear his intentions are to opt out and test the market.That's another reason why this trade wouldn't work, Blazers probably want to keep McCollum since they got him last year in the lottery.

KNOW1EDGE
01-22-2015, 09:29 PM
As a Portland fan for the last 25 years, I can confidentally tell you that the Blazers would not be interested in that trade whatsoever.

It does nothing to make them any better.

Neil Olshey isn't the type of GM to make a trade just to make a trade.

SwishSquared
01-22-2015, 10:03 PM
As a Portland fan for the last 25 years, I can confidentally tell you that the Blazers would not be interested in that trade whatsoever.

It does nothing to make them any better.

Neil Olshey isn't the type of GM to make a trade just to make a trade.
Long term, they lose out on a backup combo guard and a late first, which is short-sighted asset management. For this year though? I think they get better. It's a patchwork trade that I concocted on premise that LMA, RoLo, & Freeland are out for some time each. The last 2 apparently are still missing at least a handful of games. I think they need a better backup wing and Johnson has played better than a couple of their backup 2s/3s.