PDA

View Full Version : How insane is 17 all-star selections

SexSymbol
01-22-2015, 10:11 PM
Forget any hate love or anything that you have for Kobe.
But how fricking insane is 17 all-star selections?
That's nearly 20 years of all-star basketball

T_L_P
01-22-2015, 10:14 PM
Here it is.

Kobe has two completely fraudulent selections.

Are you seriously telling me he's played All-Star basketball in the past two seasons?

navy
01-22-2015, 10:15 PM
He really just diminishes the honor.

JtotheIzzo
01-22-2015, 10:26 PM
Kobe is top ten all time.

but he is garbage this year, more deserving guards will be left off.

supernova5912
01-22-2015, 10:31 PM
Here it is.

Are you seriously telling me he's played All-Star basketball in the past two seasons?

You could say the same for Jordan in 01-02 and 02-03.

JohnFreeman
01-22-2015, 10:32 PM
Garbage like half his defensive selections

gts
01-22-2015, 10:32 PM
That's nearly 20 years of all-star basketballwould have been 18 had there been a game in 99

SexSymbol
01-22-2015, 10:37 PM
would have been 18 had there been a game in 99
Incredible longevity even if he didnt deserve one or two of them.
It's an honorary popularity+production award
Besides, he's averaging 22-6-6, not bad numbers

buddha
01-22-2015, 10:39 PM
Here it is.

Kobe Bryant 22/5.5/5.5

Klay Thompson 22/3/3.5

just because Kobe Bryant is playing at his usual 27/5/5 level doesn't mean he isn't at all-star level. y'all acting like he is putting up 16/4/4

Demar Derozan got in last year with 21/4/4
Dwyane Wade got in last year with 19/4.5/4.5
Joe Johnson got in last year with 15/3/3

TheMarkMadsen
01-22-2015, 10:39 PM
Here it is.

if there would have been an all star game in 99 he would have made the team and at 20/5/4/1/1 he would have been deserving

T_L_P
01-22-2015, 10:42 PM
Kobe Bryant 22/5.5/5.5

Klay Thompson 22/3/3.5

just because Kobe Bryant is playing at his usual 27/5/5 level doesn't mean he isn't at all-star level. y'all acting like he is putting up 16/4/4

:biggums:

Poetry
01-22-2015, 10:42 PM
That's nearly 20 years of all-star basketball

http://media.giphy.com/media/lr7CTeBJJP3BC/giphy.gif

SouBeachTalents
01-22-2015, 10:43 PM
Kobe Bryant 22/5.5/5.5

Klay Thompson 22/3/3.5

No, we know this isn't the 2000 Finals

Smoke117
01-22-2015, 10:44 PM
Here it is.

Three. He had no business starting or being on the team in 98. The idiotic fans voted him over his own better teammate who played the same position, even.

SexSymbol
01-22-2015, 10:46 PM
Three. He had no business starting or being on the team in 98. The idiotic fans voted him over his own better teammate who played the same position, even.
He was better then Jones in 98.

Smoke117
01-22-2015, 10:46 PM
He was better then Jones in 98.

I'm sure you believe that.

gts
01-22-2015, 10:48 PM
Here it is.

:rolleyes:

It's the "allstar game" not the "who's playing the best this season game"

It's an exibition game where fans vote on who they want to see play in the game and year after year they obviously wanted to see Kobe.. sorry if you're guy didn't get in but it's anything but fraudulent

BigBoss
01-22-2015, 10:55 PM
Here it is.

Yes. Are you blind?

T_L_P
01-22-2015, 11:01 PM
Yes. Are you blind?

So when Kobe played just 6 games last year, he deserved an All-Star selection?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

gts
01-22-2015, 11:05 PM
So when Kobe played just 6 games last year, he deserved an All-Star selection?

still doesn't get it

Kareem, Yao T-Mac and others have been voted in when they were playing subpar or not even playing, Magic was voted in when he was retired

let's not act like this is an unheard of thing when it's happened multiple times

The fans vote in who they want to see, why is this so hard for you to comprehend

tpols
01-22-2015, 11:07 PM
still doesn't get it

Kareem Yao and others have been voted in when they were playing subpar or not even playing, Magic was voted in when he was retired

let's not act like this is an unheard of thing when it's happened multiple times

The fans vote in who they want to see, why is this so hard for you to comprehend

He's a Duncan fan.. Jealous that nobody wants to see his boring ass play in a game meant to entertain and put on a show.

Smoke117
01-22-2015, 11:09 PM
He's a Duncan fan.. Jealous that nobody wants to see his boring ass play in a game meant to entertain and put on a show.

I guess he'll have to settle for being a fan of the better, greater, and more respected player. Poor TLP :(

T_L_P
01-22-2015, 11:10 PM
still doesn't get it

Kareem, Yao T-Mac and others have been voted in when they were playing subpar or not even playing, Magic was voted in when he was retired

Not debating the selection.

Debating this sentence:

"That's nearly 20 years of all-star basketball"

He hasn't played that since 2012-13, and he didn't start until 99. So it's barely 15 years of all star basketball, not 'nearly 20'. Not close.

In before 'by All-Star basketball, he means entertaining basketball'. You and I both know what he's trying to say.

gts
01-22-2015, 11:12 PM

aha that explains the bitterness

T_L_P
01-22-2015, 11:12 PM
I guess he'll have to settle for being a fan of the better, greater, and more respected player. Poor TLP :(

This. Not jealous at all, because I'll be watching my team play in late April.

Meanwhile Kobe openly admits Duncan keeps him up at night (he's super jealous of him still being elite at this age and playing on a good team).

houston
01-22-2015, 11:18 PM
greatness indeed

G0ATbe
01-22-2015, 11:20 PM
Greatestofalltimebe:applause: :applause: :applause: .

24-Inch_Chrome
01-22-2015, 11:28 PM
Kobe Bryant 22/5.5/5.5

Klay Thompson 22/3/3.5

You forgot some numbers.

Kobe scoring 22.3 on .373/.293/.813 with a 34.7% usage rate, .477 TS%

Klay scoring 21.9 on .472/.444/.868 with a 27.2% usage rate, .601 TS%

The difference should be readily apparent.

tpols
01-22-2015, 11:29 PM
:oldlol:

Put the pipe down.. Maybe for San Antonio fans and hipster **** like yourself.. But for the majority of ballers coming up and young guys in the league it's Kobe who is looked up to.

Nobody wants to see Duncan showcase his proper use of defensive positioning in an all star game.. The most exciting thing hell do all game is perhaps make a bank shot.. Or grab a defensive rebound.

Dro
01-22-2015, 11:34 PM
Well, if we're going to acknowledge that "fans vote in who they want to see"...Then we shouldn't be propping it up as some kind of measure of their greatness as a basketball player...We can't have it both ways....What if the fans voted in [insert random very entertaining role player]. Would we be bragging about how much better that player is than an all NBA player?

tl:dr - Either the all-star game selections means you're the best players or just the most entertaining/liked, pick one.....

gts
01-22-2015, 11:39 PM
What were the final numbers for Duncan voting wise, who kept him out of being a starter? not that Kobe took his spot since Duncan is a front court vote and Kobe's obviously a backcourt

Poetry
01-22-2015, 11:44 PM
Unreal level of excellence and popularity. To put this in perspective, MJay in his 13th or so season was begging media members to pressure Carter and the like to get him an All-Star starting spot.

MJ had the votes to start at forward (he played 81% of that season as a small forward), but the NBA decided to list him as a SG, maybe to play up an MJ/Kobe match-up.

supernova5912
01-22-2015, 11:51 PM
You forgot some numbers.

Kobe scoring 22.3 on .373/.293/.813 with a 34.7% usage rate, .477 TS%

Klay scoring 21.9 on .472/.444/.868 with a 27.2% usage rate, .601 TS%

The difference should be readily apparent.

He was being sarcastic. There's literally no debate that Kobe Bryant is worse than Klay Thompson right now.

24-Inch_Chrome
01-22-2015, 11:52 PM
He was being sarcastic. There's literally no debate that Kobe Bryant is worse than Klay Thompson right now.

Read his post. I wish he was being sarcastic.

gts
01-22-2015, 11:57 PM
Read his post. I wish he was being sarcastic.
you took the bait, you got trolled by one of the bigger trolls on the board.. he hates Kobe

Smoke117
01-23-2015, 12:01 AM
Well, if we're going to acknowledge that "fans vote in who they want to see"...Then we shouldn't be propping it up as some kind of measure of their greatness as a basketball player...We can't have it both ways....What if the fans voted in [insert random very entertaining role player]. Would we be bragging about how much better that player is than an all NBA player?

tl:dr - Either the all-star game selections means you're the best players or just the most entertaining/liked, pick one.....

Being popular does not make you great.

NoGunzJustSkillz
01-23-2015, 12:02 AM
holy crap, this weirdo don't stop, does he?

SexSymbol
01-23-2015, 12:03 AM
That's what you told to yourself in highschool, amirite :rockon:

IllegalD
01-23-2015, 01:07 AM
Here it is.

All-time Great averaging 22, 6, and 6 in his 19th season, coming back from two devastating injuries.

Definitely not undeserving of an all-star spot.

And lets not act like he's the first all-time great in ANY sport that's had his all-star selections "padded" because of popularity, especially towards the end of their careers.

The selection last year makes up for the 99 season where there wasn't an all-star game due to the lockout. Kobe would've made it that season too (20, 5 and 4 on 47% shooting)

Sit down, shut up, insecure Duncan Stan who's jealous 'cause he knows 10 years from now Kobe will be remembered more than Dun(CAN'T win rings anymore without someone else being the Finals MVP). :no:

Mikebball1
01-23-2015, 06:11 AM
Lebron will beat him out tho

BigTicket
01-23-2015, 06:42 AM
Whether you think he deserved this latest selection or not, there is no doubt that he has insane longevity :applause:

He's the only player left from his draft class, and he's still playing at a high level.

UK2K
01-23-2015, 07:22 AM
You could be an all star for 30 years if you're likeable.

Big deal. The AS label is just that, a label.

JellyBean
01-23-2015, 07:36 AM
:applause: for Kobe. That is an awesome honor for such an iconic figure.

Keno
01-23-2015, 09:29 AM
this year is kobe's all-star selection in a nut shell, most of them being undeserving.

Velocirap31
01-23-2015, 10:16 AM
Sit down, shut up, insecure Duncan Stan who's jealous 'cause he knows 10 years from now Kobe will be remembered more than Dun(CAN'T win rings anymore without someone else being the Finals MVP). :no:

Duncan won his third NBA Finals MVP Award, joining Michael Jordan, Shaquille O'Neal, and Magic Johnson as the only players in NBA history to win it three times.

Kobe is 2/5 in Final's MVP's don't forget. One of those definitely should have went to Pau Gasol instead as well.

Jlamb47
01-23-2015, 10:29 AM
:lol

riseagainst
01-23-2015, 12:16 PM
17 is pretty insane. Just more proof that he is an all time great, top 10 all time.

LEFT4DEAD
01-23-2015, 12:30 PM
Nobody cares about this "award".
Chucker,
couldnt win without a dominant big,
had no shame taking 24M/season playing on one leg,
carried,
one dimensional,
rapist,
6/24,
1/14,
2/5,
got his ass kicked by chris childs,
alpha wannabe,
role model for retarded people only,
MJ wannabe,
in 5 years out of top 10
etc
etc
etc

HOoopCityJones
01-23-2015, 12:32 PM
Here it is.

What about a few years back when Pop was coaching ASG and he put Tim on the Team despite there being numerous better PF's than him?

HOoopCityJones
01-23-2015, 12:35 PM
No, we know this isn't the 2000 Finals

Averaging that on a bum ankle? Better than anything bitch baby Wade could do under the same circumstances.

rmt
01-23-2015, 01:13 PM
What about a few years back when Pop was coaching ASG and he put Tim on the Team despite there being numerous better PF's than him?

The all-star coach doesn't put anyone on the all-star team. The non-starters are voted for by all the NBA coaches and coaches can't vote for a player on their own team.

What were the final numbers for Duncan voting wise, who kept him out of being a starter? not that Kobe took his spot since Duncan is a front court vote and Kobe's obviously a backcourt

Duncan is the 4th highest front court vote-getter behind Davis, Griffin and M. Gasol - just ahead of Durant - missing starting which is just fine with me - he needs to rest.

A nice little blurb from Bleacherreport:

Snub: Tim Duncan

What's a guy got to do to get a little recognition?

USA TODAY Sports
The answer, it seems, is not "be the best player of a generation[bolded just for you Kobe stans], play the most impactful defense of anyone in the league and never, ever age." Because that's exactly what Tim Duncan has done, and yet he didn't get the votes necessary to start.

We are dealing with a grave injustice.

Timmy leads the NBA in defensive real plus-minus by a significant margin, per ESPN.com, and he's actually playing more minutes this season than he has in a half-decade. For my money, a guy on the shortlist for Defensive Player of the Year should be among the three starters up front in his conference—especially if he's chipping in a double-double with 3.2 assists and a pair of blocks per game.

"Duncan isn't merely still decent, or still crafty out there," wrote Ethan Sherwood Strauss of ESPN.com. "He continues to be great at age 38. He's done the most to keep the Spurs afloat during the time Kawhi Leonard has missed."

The lack of love for Duncan hurts.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2338306-nba-all-star-game-2015-biggest-snubs-and-surprises-from-fan-voting

Meanwhile Kobe openly admits Duncan keeps him up at night (he's super jealous of him still being elite at this age and playing on a good team).

I'm pretty sure Kobe would trade his being on the all-star team for Duncan's great chance at #6. Besides, there's still the outside chance of the coaches voting TD in (hope that doesn't happen - he's been playing too much with all the injuries).

HOoopCityJones
01-23-2015, 01:14 PM
The all-star coach doesn't put anyone on the all-star team. The non-starters are voted for by all the NBA coaches and coaches can't vote for a player on their own team.

I meant in the starting line ups. I said Team , but I should've typed starting 5. Marc, LMA or even Kevin Love should've been starting over him.

StephHamann
01-23-2015, 01:19 PM
Kobe Bryant 22/5.5/5.5

Klay Thompson 22/3/3.5

Kevin Martin averages 20.4/3,7/1.9 and shoots 48/48/87

Anaximandro1
01-23-2015, 01:22 PM
Well, Kobe was a fantastic player and, at the same time, the most overrated player in NBA history.

Kobe played for big market team, the NBA is a business, they lost their biggest cash cow in 1998, so Kobe was marketed as the next Jordan.

The reality is that Kobe has never been the best player in the NBA.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OqQ1GCAVUjc/VMHd2TGA6MI/AAAAAAAADsg/p-2FhjPy92Y/s1600/22.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lsebf29dyLM/VMHd2ToqO0I/AAAAAAAADsk/hEyEaSb5H5M/s1600/23.jpg

pegasus
01-23-2015, 01:23 PM

Every superstar with a long career has made the all-star team once or twice when they didn't necessarily deserve it. That doesn't mean you can't look at their total numbers and derive some conclusions as in "who's played at an-all star level the longest". If you're gonna be salty about Kobe's last two selections, then apply that logic to every other all-time great and then compare them accordingly.

They Won
01-23-2015, 01:27 PM
A super talented player in a giant market is always going to have inflated all-star selections because their fans can't let go even when talent has deteriorated.