PDA

View Full Version : Has Wade Ever Been The BEST Player in Basketball?

insidious301
01-23-2015, 04:11 PM
Arguable years at best:

2006 - Kobe and LeBron had more winshares, PER, raw stats, and Garnett, Duncan and Shaq all had a higher Regularized Adjusted Plus Minus (RAPM)
2009 - LeBron had more winshares, PER, better raw stats, and beat a team that Wade struggled against in a 4 game sweep, while putting up better numbers.
2010 - Dwight and LeBron had better PER, while Kobe had better raw stats with the accolades.
2011 - Dwight and LeBron had better PER, winshares, raw stats, and a better Regularized Adjusted Plus Minues (RAPM)

Decided to make this thread after reading people say he shouldn't be an all star. Feels like his career has always been in the shadows of both Kobe or LeBron, and in Miami, Shaq.

handbanana
01-23-2015, 04:18 PM
2006 - Kobe and LeBron had more winshares, PER, raw stats, and Garnett, Duncan and Shaq all had a higher Regularized Adjusted Plus Minus (RAPM)

not what i'm seeing here: http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/per_top_10.html

wade was #1 in per in 2006

miggyme1
01-23-2015, 04:20 PM
Arguable years at best:

2009 - LeBron had more winshares, PER, better raw stats, and beat a team that Wade struggled against in a 4 game sweep, while putting up better numbers.
2010 - Dwight and LeBron had better PER, while Kobe had better raw stats with the accolades.
2011 - Dwight and LeBron had better PER, winshares, raw stats, and a better Regularized Adjusted Plus Minues (RAPM)

Decided to make this thread after reading people say he shouldn't be an all star. Feels like his career has always been in the shadows of both Kobe or LeBron, and in Miami, Shaq.

YEA IT HAS....he nor melo should be allstars this year.

insidious301
01-23-2015, 04:20 PM
not what i'm seeing here: http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/per_top_10.html

You're looking at 2007, but he was injured for most of that season, ultimately flaming out in the playoffs.

Real Men Wear Green
01-23-2015, 04:23 PM
He was the best player on an NBA Champ in 2006. Shaq was there but Shaq did very little in the Finals, especially by Shaq standards. He's never been better than James IMO but that year he had an argument for being the best player in the game.

OnFire
01-23-2015, 04:30 PM
Arguable years at best:

He's never been the best player in the league. I'm a huge Wade fan. I've never heard someone say he was the best player in the league.

I've heard people say top 5, top 3.... so.. thats it.

Also, he dragged Shaq's ass through the finals. Wade was not in anybody's shadow on the Heat except maybe when LeBron came and to me I only seen that from fake band wagoners who are slowly falling away thankfully.

They don't call it Shaq County or Bron County its Wade County.

miggyme1
01-23-2015, 04:32 PM
He was the best player on an NBA Champ in 2006. Shaq was there but Shaq did very little in the Finals, especially by Shaq standards. He's never been better than James IMO but that year he had an argument for being the best player in the game.

true but dwade finished 6th in mvp voting that year......and IMO the heat had no choice but to win a title that year...they fired svg midway through the season for pat riley....that was a VERY desperate move. once u do something like that you have to win it all cuz svg is not a slouch coach by any means.

Keno
01-23-2015, 04:33 PM
as many times as kobe was the best player in basketball.

mehyaM24
01-23-2015, 04:34 PM
well, not unless you're willing to say the 2006 championship run has an asterisk stapled to it. it was BY FAR the worst officiated series ever. people are too enamored with his PPG output but he took 17 FTA to render these numbers. not impressive IMO, but aside from that finals, lebron and kobe were better players that year.

alonzo mourning and even shaq to this day says kobe was better that season. just some food for thought.

OnFire
01-23-2015, 04:39 PM
well, not unless you're willing to say the 2006 championship run has an asterisk stapled to it. it was BY FAR the worst officiated series ever. people are too enamored with his PPG output but he took 17 FTA to render these numbers. not impressive IMO, but aside from that finals, lebron and kobe were better players that year.

alonzo mourning and even shaq to this day says kobe was better that season. just some food for thought.

So lots of free throw attempts should discount the scoring... Ok because Wade's 2006 playoffs is still behind TWO Michael Jordan playoff seasons and TWO Shaq playoff seasons.

So shaq and jordan's finals mvp's are bullshit right?

And your last sentence is my whole main point. Its a stupid argument, nobody has ever said Wade was the best player in the league in any 1 season.

Mass Debator
01-23-2015, 04:40 PM
He has never been the clear-cut best player in the league, but it's arguable that he was the best in 2006, 2009, and 2011.

supernova5912
01-23-2015, 04:42 PM
Wade had an insane season in 08-09. He was the first player to average 30+/5+/7+/2+/1+ with a 57+ TS%. He also didn't struggle in the playoffs. His team was completely overmatched but he still managed to make it a 7 game series. Literally, he had the draft bust Beasley, a past-prime Jermaine O Neal, and a lottery roster while facing a team with an efficient Josh Smith, Mike Bibby, Joe Johnson, and Josh Smith. While LeBron didn't have a stacked roster, he still had Big Z, Mo Williams, Varejo, and even Delonte West wasn't even that bad. It's pretty arguable that he was the best that year. It's not clear-cut though.

GrapeApe
01-23-2015, 04:42 PM
Probably not, though it's rare that a player is the clear cut best. In the last 25 years I'd say only Jordan, Shaq, and LeBron have had that distinction. Of course there's other guys who in hindsight have a strong case (Wade included), but those 3 are the only ones who were the concensus best from day one right through the end of the season.

insidious301
01-23-2015, 04:46 PM

I have often argued the 2006 finals was a HUGE black mark on the league as a hole. People shouldn't use this series as a means to crown Wade, especially knowing what LeBron and Kobe did to the Mavs in the regular season.

Kobe hung 61 in 3 quarters on them
LeBron averaged ~40ppg vs them :eek:

Wade is a great player, and depreciated, but will always be in Kobe and LeBron's shadow.

BasedTom
01-23-2015, 04:49 PM
Arguable years at best:

Those people clearly don't watch basketball. Or they think Wade plays in the west.

OnFire
01-23-2015, 04:50 PM
I have often argued the 2006 finals was a HUGE black mark on the league as a hole. People shouldn't use this series as a means to crown Wade, especially knowing what LeBron and Kobe did to the Mavs in the regular season.

Wade is a great player, and depreciated, but will always be in Kobe and LeBron's shadow.

This post is like saying...

"I'm making this post because I just can't see why yellow would be the most popular car color on the road.. here's 5 colors I think are better"

... As expected can't find anyone to disagree, because no one ever suggested otherwise...

Then make a post "See told you Yellow isn't the most popular car color!!! nanny nanny boo boo"

Good Job buddy, you proved shit 100% of people even Wade fans already knew.

Akhenaten
01-23-2015, 04:54 PM
07 before he got hurt and 09

riseagainst
01-23-2015, 04:56 PM
This post is like saying...

"I'm making this post because I just can't see why yellow would be the most popular car color on the road.. here's 5 colors I think are better"

... As expected can't find anyone to disagree, because no one ever suggested otherwise...

Then make a post "See told you Yellow isn't the most popular car color!!! nanny nanny boo boo"

Good Job buddy, you proved shit 100% of people even Wade fans already knew.

dafuq did i just read. Babble babble.

:biggums:

Mass Debator
01-23-2015, 04:56 PM
Dude, Wade killed the Pistons that year going for 27ppg on 62% in 40 minutes.
Lebron just lost to them the round before going 27ppg on 44% in 46 minutes.

Luckily the Cavs lost because Wade beating Lebron in the playoffs would've changed history drastically.

mehyaM24
01-23-2015, 04:58 PM

well said brah.

people who don't know shit about basketball (wade fans) will go gaga over his stats, but context is always important (nice use of rapm BTW).

rapm has never had wade as the best player in the game, despite what his deluded fans think.

as far as allstars this season go, according to rapm, wade isn't even in the top 25-30 players who directly impact games. he's a good player as you said, but highly overrated too.

OnFire
01-23-2015, 05:01 PM
dafuq did i just read. Babble babble.

:biggums:

probably because you're stupid stupid and can't read read and comprehend comprehend and say shit like dafuq and think you're funny.

oh wait.. don't let me forget me some :biggums: :coleman:

insidious301
01-23-2015, 05:03 PM
well said brah.

people who don't know shit about basketball (wade fans) will go gaga over his stats, but context is always important (nice use of rapm BTW).

rapm has never had wade as the best player in the game, despite what his deluded fans think.

as far as allstars this season go, according to rapm, wade isn't even in the top 25-30 players who directly impact games. he's a good player as you said, but highly overrated too.

Yeah...RAPM is a great way to measure a players impact. Good post.

OnFire
01-23-2015, 05:03 PM
well said brah.

Where are all these WADE FANS you are talking about saying he was the best player? There is not 1 single post in this thread, I live in south florida and never heard ANYONE say that shit 1 single time on talk radio, at the water cooler, anywhere.. There only person that don't know shit is you because you think Wade fans think he's GOAT and none do.

mehyaM24
01-23-2015, 05:07 PM
Where are all these WADE FANS you are talking about saying he was the best player? There is not 1 single post in this thread, I live in south florida and never heard ANYONE say that shit 1 single time on talk radio, at the water cooler, anywhere.. There only person that don't know shit is you because you think Wade fans think he's GOAT and none do.
hop off my tip, kid.

i've heard many wade fans claim he was the best player in 2006 and 2009. some say (idiots) he was the best in 2011, as well.

OnFire
01-23-2015, 05:09 PM
hop off my tip, kid.

i've heard many wade fans claim he was the best player in 2006 and 2009. some say (idiots) he was the best in 2011, as well.

Where?

::crickets::

Best player on best team in 2006. Yup. That's it. Maybe you hang around too many stupid people. But birds of a feather...

OnFire
01-23-2015, 05:16 PM
I'm still waiting for 1 Wade fan to say he was best player during a season... You all are arguing that 2+2=4 and looking for all the people to argue to tell you its 5.

There isn't anyone going to come tell you that because only a tiny population of even D-WADE fans will say it. And that is assuming honesty of a guy, apparently this mehya guy "heard some say it" must be the only ones in the world, I live in Miami and Ft Lauderdale and haven't "heard some" say it or ever heard 1 person say it.

BasedTom
01-23-2015, 05:16 PM
Where?

::crickets::

Best player on best team in 2006. Yup. That's it. Maybe you hang around too many stupid people. But birds of a feather...
Don't even bother with that ****ing mong. Every post is him spazzing out about Wade and spouting the same bullshit. He's is a worthless sack of shit, and there's no reason to acknowledge scum like him.

Wade's Rings
01-23-2015, 05:18 PM
Wade averaged more assists, steals, blocks, and had the better FG% than Kobe in 2006 how did Kobe have the better raw stats?

In 2009 Wade averaged more points, steals, assists, blocks and had the better fg% than Lebron and Lebron's Raw Stats were better?

Why does nobody ever use skill when Comparing Players?

Wade's Rings
01-23-2015, 05:23 PM

Wade averaged 38pts on 54% shooting vs the Magic in 2009 and Lebron dropped 38/8/8 on them in the Conference Finals that's a black mark against Kobe.
In 2010 Wade dropped 33/6/7 on 56% shooting on the Celtics in the 2010 Playoffs another black mark on Kobe's Titles as the man.

Wade's Rings
01-23-2015, 05:24 PM
Dude, Wade killed the Pistons that year going for 27ppg on 62% in 40 minutes.
Lebron just lost to them the round before going 27ppg on 44% in 46 minutes.

Luckily the Cavs lost because Wade beating Lebron in the playoffs would've changed history drastically.

How would Wade beating Lebron change history?

insidious301
01-23-2015, 05:25 PM
Wade averaged 38pts on 54% shooting vs the Magic in 2009 and Lebron dropped 38/8/8 on them in the Conference Finals that's a black mark against Kobe.
In 2010 Wade dropped 33/6/7 on 56% shooting on the Celtics in the 2010 Playoffs another black mark on Kobe's Titles as the man.
I'm speaking about the calls and non calls per officiating. None of these are "black marks" against Kobe, to be honest.

DeuceWallaces
01-23-2015, 05:30 PM
He and the refs were for about 7 weeks during May and June of 2006, but no, not really in the sense you're describing.

Young X
01-23-2015, 05:35 PM
He wasn't the clear cut #1 player in the regular season or playoffs in 2011, but he had the best combination of both that season. He was also having a monster individual season in terms of production before he got injured in 2007. His 2007 and 2008 injured seasons completely hurt his momentum after what Miami did in 2006. Shame.

BasedTom
01-23-2015, 05:35 PM
He and the refs were for about 7 weeks during May and June of 2006, but no, not really in the sense you're describing.
You tried. :durantunimpressed:

mehyaM24
01-23-2015, 05:37 PM
pretty much. all the red-herrings in the world won't take away the rigged finals, and the manufacturing of wade's "super" in star. :oldlol:

GrapeApe
01-23-2015, 05:44 PM

Wait, so now people are complaining about the officiating in the EC playoffs? I take it the biased officiating carried over to '07 when he was averaging 29/8/6 and was the MVP frontrunner before getting injured? I guess he must have got all the calls in the '05 playoffs when he torched everyone then too? What about his rookie year when he led his team to the semi's? Must have been the officiating. Please tell me when you think Wade was fairly officiated.

mehyaM24
01-23-2015, 06:02 PM

you quoted the wrong year as another poster mentioned.

wade has NEVER lead the league in either winshares, PER or RAPM (which just measures impact)

people are talking about "skills", but wade has never had the skills to matchup with kobe or lebron, hence him never being mentioned in the same breath. the stats are just icing on the proverbial cake.

tmac and wade, the more i think about it, is actually a more apt comparison in hindsight (made a thread on this a few nights ago - feel free to check that out, OP).

Wade's Rings
01-23-2015, 06:03 PM
I'm speaking about the calls and non calls per officiating. None of these are "black marks" against Kobe, to be honest.

You never said anything about the calls and mentioned how Lebron averaged 40 on the Mavs and Kobe dropped 62 in 3 quarters.

Wade's Rings
01-23-2015, 06:05 PM
you quoted the wrong year as another poster mentioned.

wade has NEVER lead the league in either winshares, PER or RAPM (which just measures impact)

people are talking about "skills", but wade has never had the skills to matchup with kobe or lebron, hence him never being mentioned in the same breath. the stats are just icing on the proverbial cake.

tmac and wade, the more i think about it, is actually a more apt comparison in hindsight (made a thread on this a few nights ago - feel free to check that out, OP).

Wade lead the League in PER in 2007.

mehyaM24
Wade lead the League in PER in 2007.
he missed practically half the season, but dually noted.

Wade's Rings
pretty much. all the red-herrings in the world won't take away the rigged finals, and the manufacturing of wade's "super" in star. :oldlol:

A Lebron Stan arguing about calls from the refs :lol

Wade's Rings
01-23-2015, 06:08 PM
he missed practically half the season, but dually noted.

Still lead the League though and he had a PER of 30+ before his injury which is better than what he ended with.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-23-2015, 06:30 PM
Wade had more of a case in 2009 than any other year, although his playoffs left a lot to be desired.

I actually used to be a pretty big Wade fan, but when you REALLY look at his overall career, he's more overrated than underrated. Dude has 10+ years on his legs, but many seasons where he was either injured or took games off (this during his physical peak).

Wade's Rings
01-23-2015, 07:00 PM
Wade had more of a case in 2009 than any other year, although his playoffs left a lot to be desired.

I actually used to be a pretty big Wade fan, but when you REALLY look at his overall career, he's more overrated than underrated. Dude has 10+ years on his legs, but many seasons where he was either injured or took games off (this during his physical peak).

He missed 60 Games from 2006-2008 he was healthy all the other years. 04-06 & 08-11 which should be considered his Physical Peak/Prime.

Shep
01-23-2015, 07:10 PM
easily the best player in 2006

Wade's Rings
01-23-2015, 07:11 PM
easily the best player in 2006

If you factor in the Playoffs yes, or you can put the Playoffs in its own Category

GrapeApe
01-23-2015, 07:32 PM

The thing is, I think the injury issues have made him underrated. The shoulder injury robbed him of a likely MVP, and it happened just as he was entering his peak. He's also played his entire career without cartilage in his knee. I mean, it is what it is and I understand it doesn't change the fact that he's missed a lot of games, but all things considered he's had a remarkable career in spite of his physical misfortunes. When you look at his career numbers, accolades, and peak play, there's a very short list of players who've had similar or better success.

SamuraiSWISH
01-23-2015, 07:32 PM
His best seasons:

2005 Reg - No
w/ Playoffs - Arguable w/ Duncan, and Shaq

2006 Reg - No
w/ Playoffs - Yes

2007 Reg - No (Yes Pre Injury)
w/ Playoffs - Hell No

2009 Reg - Arguable w/ LeBron
w/ Playoffs - No

2010 Reg - No
w/ Playoffs - No

2011 Reg - Arguable w/ LeBron, Dirk, Dwight, and D-Rose
w/ Playoffs - Arguable w/ LeBron, and Dirk

Shep
01-23-2015, 07:36 PM
If you factor in the Playoffs yes, or you can put the Playoffs in its own Category
I always factor in playoffs

Dresta
01-23-2015, 07:38 PM
You're looking at 2007, but he was injured for most of that season, ultimately flaming out in the playoffs.
He didn't 'flame out' you distorting piece of garbage: he opted to defer surgeries to injuries sustained during the season so he could play in the playoffs. He was a shell of himself in the 07 playoffs.

Was the best player in the league throughout the YEAR of 2006, culminating in a Christmas day annihilation of Kobe.

ArbitraryWater
01-23-2015, 07:39 PM
He didn't 'flame out' you distorting piece of garbage: he opted to defer surgeries to inur

Was the best player in the league throughout the YEAR of 2006, culminating in a Christmas day annihilation of Kobe.

I know you will find love one day, too

SamuraiSWISH
01-23-2015, 07:41 PM
You mean the 2006 - 2007 season?

I agree. Before the threw out his shoulder against the Rockets, Wade was the best player in the league.

And yes, he destroyed Kobe on Christmas that year. I remember watching it. Was a big fan of both guys at the time.

T_L_P
01-23-2015, 07:43 PM
It's between him and Dirk in 06 imo.

LeBron didn't become the best player until around 08. Kobe's postseason play was flat-out bad compared to his Regular Season. Duncan was injured but he was great in the Playoffs (but certainly not better than Wade).

He has a strong case for 2011 too.

He had an all time great season in 09 but he was going up against peak LeBron and peak Chris Paul.

SamuraiSWISH
01-23-2015, 07:48 PM
He had an all time great season in 09 but he was going up against peak LeBron and peak Chris Paul.
He was burnt out in the 2009 playoffs, and it showed. Carried such a huge load for a team even less talented than Kobe's 2006, or 2007 team.

His regular season on a complete individual level was actually better than LeBron's IMO. Cavaliers better record won James the award. That Cavs team had way more talent, intelligence, and rapport than any of Wade's 2009, and 2010 Heat teams. Who were purposely making room for 2010 free agency.

Wade at his absolute best:

2005 Playoffs
2006 Playoffs
2007 Season (Pre-Injury)
2008 Olympics
2009 Season
2010 Season
2011 Season
2011 Playoffs

Dirk has no case over Wade in 2006 when including playoffs. Dirk choked in the 2006 Finals, and in the 2007 playoffs. I'd even argue Wade's 2011 Finals was better than Dirk's as well.

DeuceWallaces
01-23-2015, 11:50 PM
Wait, so now people are complaining about the officiating in the EC playoffs? I take it the biased officiating carried over to '07 when he was averaging 29/8/6 and was the MVP frontrunner before getting injured? I guess he must have got all the calls in the '05 playoffs when he torched everyone then too? What about his rookie year when he led his team to the semi's? Must have been the officiating. Please tell me when you think Wade was fairly officiated.

You were probably 7 during the 2006 Finals. STFU.

TylerOO
01-23-2015, 11:54 PM
:roll: :roll:

HELL NO

GrapeApe
01-24-2015, 12:04 AM
You were probably 7 during the 2006 Finals. STFU.

Lol. I've mentioned my age before on this site and let's just say I'll take that as flattery.

:cheers:

triangleoffense
01-24-2015, 12:06 AM
he's been the best player in the playoffs when they won it in 2006 but the clear-cut favorite for an entire season? Honestly, no.