PDA

View Full Version : Can Klay surpass Reggie Miller and Ray Allen?

Ca$H
01-24-2015, 06:59 PM
Defensively he is already much better than both. What does he need to work on offensively to surpass both?

Richesly
01-24-2015, 07:00 PM
Reggie Miller still bein overrated huh?

Klay is better right now than Reggie Miller ever was as a player.

Teanett
01-24-2015, 08:11 PM
Reggie Miller still bein overrated huh?

Klay is better right now than Reggie Miller ever was as a player.

i'll take Reggie's clutch playoff performances over one hot quarter in a meaningless regular season game against a shyt team in january...

it's that time of the year when shyt teams dont play hard.
melo's 62 pointer was a year ago.
kobe's 81 was on a january 22...

Richesly
01-24-2015, 08:57 PM
i'll take Reggie's clutch playoff performances over one hot quarter in a meaningless regular season game against a shyt team in january...

Klay his young, give him some time to prove himself in the playoffs before saying Reggie Miller was clutcher. You just never know.

Sarcastic
01-24-2015, 09:01 PM
Classic prisoner of the moment thread.

24-Inch_Chrome
01-24-2015, 09:04 PM
I think that he can surpass them but it's important to remember that this is just his 4th season in the league. In a few years I think that we'll be better able to predict how he'll stack up against Miller/Allen but if he continues to progress the way that he has since coming into the league it's a realistic possibility.

Genaro
01-24-2015, 09:12 PM
So this is the official ISH overreaction thread to Klay's performance.

bluechox2
01-24-2015, 10:37 PM
he already surpassed reggie miller

sportjames23
01-24-2015, 10:41 PM

This.

Classic prisoner of the moment thread.

And this.

Reggie was entirely one-dimensional and tends to get overrated by some, but damn if he didn't step up his game in the playoffs.

Let Klay's career play out before we say he's better than Reggie or Ray. They proved themselves when it mattered (Reggie just came along at the wrong time).

Ca$H
01-24-2015, 10:54 PM
So this is the official ISH overreaction thread to Klay's performance.

I actually made a similar thread 2 years ago. http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316054

plowking
01-25-2015, 01:06 AM

Reggie came up short in just about every important playoff series in his career, despite having adequate teams. He gets overrated as a player and clutch performer. I'm sure the ones who rave on about his clutch ability didn't see a whole lot of Reggie and just jump on the consensus opinion of him that has grown over time to look like one of the knowledgeable posters on here.

Yeah, he hit some big shots in his career, and had some crazy moments, but he isn't close to having any where near the most memorable moments in history, or anything of significance to stick out.

sportjames23
01-25-2015, 01:43 AM
Reggie came up short in just about every important playoff series in his career, despite having adequate teams. He gets overrated as a player and clutch performer. I'm sure the ones who rave on about his clutch ability didn't see a whole lot of Reggie and just jump on the consensus opinion of him that has grown over time to look like one of the knowledgeable posters on here.

Yeah, he hit some big shots in his career, and had some crazy moments, but he isn't close to having any where near the most memorable moments in history, or anything of significance to stick out.

:biggums:

Reggie43
01-25-2015, 01:55 AM
Klay certainly has the skills/ ability to surpass both. For comparison here are their stats at Klay's current age.

Klay: 22.6ppg .478fg% 3.5rebs 3.1asts 1.3spg 1bpg
Ray: 22.1ppg .455fg% 4.4rebs 3.8asts 1.3spg .3bpg
Reg: 24.6ppg .514fg% 3.6rebs 3.8asts 1.3spg .2bpg

They Won
01-25-2015, 01:56 AM
Klay still has a ways to go.

KG215
01-25-2015, 02:45 AM
This is one seasons's worth of, what, about 8-10 seasons of prime/peak Ray Allen in terms of production? I do think Klay's ceiling is probably about as high as the level Ray Allen reached in his prime and at his peak, but people also need to remember Ray was the first optiono on his team during his prime; he was the focal point of opposing defenses. Klay is his team's second option and this team Warrior team is better overall than any team Allen played for in Milwaukee and Seattle (except for maybe the '01 Bucks? but aren't the '15 Warriors better and deeper than that Bucks team?)

Klay is having a great season, and it's on par with anything Ray did in his prime, but it's one season compared to about 8 or 9 for Allen...and Allen was his team's first option, Klay isn't. So if you want anyone to accept and admit he's definitely better than Allen, let's see him do this for at least 5ish season while putting together some good playoff runs.

3ball
01-25-2015, 03:20 AM
he definitely can.... but it's a loooooong road.... a lot of things can happen between now and 15 years from now.

just ask Reggie Lewis, Richard Dumas, Michael Ray Richardson, Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, Derrick Rose, and many others.

and it doesn't have to be injury or drugs - guys just fall off all the time because they don't keep improving to keep up with the incoming competition - look at deron williams.... blake griffin has plateaued, Mark Jackson plateaued pretty early in his career, terry cummings, and many, many more.

so he has the tools to do it, but he's still an underdog to actually have done it 15 years from now.

supernova5912
01-25-2015, 04:10 AM
he already surpassed reggie miller

Reggie Miller once averaged 19.9 points on 50.3/42.1/90.8 shooting, one of only seven players in the 50-40-90 club. This isn't to mention his 20.2 PER and 63.6 TS%. That same season, he led his lottery-level Pacers (next best player was Riks Smits) to a 47-35 record and a 7-game series in the Eastern Conference Finals against a deep Knicks team (Charles Oakley, John Starks, Derek Harper) led by Patrick Ewing. This isn't to mention his career averages of 18.2 points on 61.4 TS% with a 18.4 PER in the regular season, 20.2 points on 60.1 TS% with a 19.5 PER in the playoffs, and longevity to be able to remain in a major contributing role despite almost two decades of playing at the same high level

Klay Thompson hasn't even come remotely close to surpassing Reggie Miller.

pauk
01-25-2015, 04:50 AM
Yes.