PDA

View Full Version : players you been wrong about

Jasun
01-25-2015, 09:38 PM
I thought tyreke evans would be a superstar/franchise player after his rookie year :(

J Shuttlesworth
01-25-2015, 09:39 PM
Durant. I thought he would be the next to get the torch, but no.

triangleoffense
01-25-2015, 09:39 PM
Lebron, I thought he was a beta but really he's a theta or epsilon.

JohnFreeman
01-25-2015, 09:40 PM
Durant. I thought he would be the next to get the torch, but no.
True

I<3NBA
01-25-2015, 09:44 PM
Steph Curry. i thought he would have glass ankles forever. even kept making fun of GSW for keeping him.

RightTwoCensor
01-25-2015, 09:44 PM
Thought Wiggins would be worse.

Thought Mirotic would be worse.

Thought Smart would be better.

Thought Josh Smith would help us.

BasedTom
01-25-2015, 09:46 PM
I hated Kobe. I hated how once Iverson burned out, every midget streetballer started shooting turnaround fadeaways with impunity. I hated how somebody could openly resent his team mates and those who had helped him achieve his status.

But now that we've seen lying him on the floor, body broken, and with impossible mileage...I've warmed up to him a bit. How many people out there have that kind of work ethic?

plowking
01-25-2015, 09:46 PM
Definitely Durant. Thought he'd be better than Bron by now, but still living in second place.

qrich
01-25-2015, 09:47 PM
I thought Chris Taft was going to have a lengthy career as a 4th big man that would come in and swat shots, while grabbing every rebound. Basically, be a poor man's DeAndre.

Martynas Andreisvkskiucs (however its spelled) would be the next Chris Kaman, putting up 15/10 with 1.5 blocks and starting on a playoff team.

Tyler Honeycutt had Tayshaun Prince like potential, but dude just never cut it and is in Belgium or something.

J Shuttlesworth
01-25-2015, 09:49 PM
Definitely Durant. Thought he'd be better than Bron by now, but still living in second place.
:biggums:

1. LBJ
2/3. Harden/Curry
4. AD
5. Westbrook
6. Durant

Suguru101
01-25-2015, 09:51 PM
JR Smith has been a success for the Cavs so far. Thought he'd be strictly a 10-15 minutes player to take some shots in the 2nd unit...

He's actually good.

JimmyMcAdocious
01-25-2015, 09:51 PM
Stro and Harris.

Done_And_Done
01-25-2015, 09:52 PM
Deron Williams

Coming out of Illinois I thought he was criminally overrated. He eventually went on to earn my respect. Hasn't been the same since he left Utah though.

plowking
01-25-2015, 09:53 PM

1. LBJ
2/3. Harden/Curry
4. AD
5. Westbrook
6. Durant

Oh wow, you are completely right.

Repped.

Done_And_Done
01-25-2015, 09:54 PM
Oh and I know he's super young and is playing on a team with limited space but I expected more from Otto Porter.

bagelred
01-25-2015, 09:55 PM
JR Smith has been a success for the Cavs so far. Thought he'd be strictly a 10-15 minutes player to take some shots in the 2nd unit...

He's actually good.

Of course he's good. Did you actually believe the anti-Knick media hype that he sucked and was a cancer?

He's the type of player that needs to play with better players, to keep him focused. He'll get out of control with his shots sometimes, but he's super talented.

T_L_P
01-25-2015, 09:57 PM

1. LBJ
2/3. Harden/Curry
4. AD
5. Westbrook
6. Durant

Propping up these regular season warriors. :lol

navy
01-25-2015, 09:58 PM
Lebron. Thought he would be worse than Melo to be honest.
Anthony Davis. Thought he was overrated in college.

24-Inch_Chrome
01-25-2015, 10:08 PM
I thought that Jabari would make it through a full season and win RoY. :cry:

I thought that this season would be Kenneth Faried's year to legitimately break out but he has been inconsistent as hell this year.

KungFuJoe
01-25-2015, 10:10 PM
Blake Griffin. Thought he was gonna be an undersized tweener in the pros. One trick pony who could only dunk but not against the big boys.

Guess I was kinda wrong. :oldlol:

josh99
01-25-2015, 10:10 PM
Dwight Howard, I thought he was going to develop his footwork/touch/midrange/freethrows/anything but he really hasn't done much since his first few years in the league.

Gerald Green, I thought he was just in the NBA for the dunk contest and wouldn't stick around. Proved me wrong.

DeMarcus Cousins, I thought with his attitude problems he would bounce around the league and turn into a useless bad boy similar to Michael Beasley. Glad he proved me wrong, we need some decent centers.

John Wall, thought he was fast and that's it (never watched him much though).

Carmelo/Stoudemire, don't think anything else needs to be said here.

Ariza4three
01-25-2015, 10:12 PM
Jeremy Lin.
Oh wait I guess I was right since he does ****ing suck.

Jasun
01-25-2015, 10:15 PM
Steph Curry. i thought he would have glass ankles forever. even kept making fun of GSW for keeping him. same here. thought he would be considered an injury prone bust by now.

Sportal
01-25-2015, 10:28 PM
Tyreke... His rookie year was so good, I really liked him.

Beasley - What more can I say, thought he'd at least be a very potent scorer.

Jerryd Bayless

Eric Gordon

Brandon Jennings - He's only really just come right, after what, he dropped 55 points(?) in his rookie year.

Marcus Smart - It's hard for me to put a rookie in here, but I'd have thought he'd be beating Evan Turner out for the starting PG...

Hindsight is a fantastic thing but, I was wrong with my trust in the TWolves' 2009 draft decisions... Picking both Johnny Flynn and Ricky Rubio above the likes of Steph Curry, Brandon Jennings and as it turned out later on, Ty Lawson and Jeff Teague.

Edit: Someone JUST said a huge one for me: Stoudemire, I truly thought the Knicks had made a killing and were going to dominate... I think a lot of people thought this.

Marchesk
01-25-2015, 10:35 PM
Wilt

75% of the board thought he was basically a time-traveled Roy Hibbert until Cavs started dropping videos.

Eric Cartman
01-25-2015, 10:38 PM
Thought Drummond was gonna be a bust.

JGXEN
01-25-2015, 10:49 PM
1) Antetokoumpo- I thought this guy would be another skinny ass over hyped prospect like Anthony randolph but he has turned out to be a decent NBA player.
2) Avery Bradley- Thought nothing of this guy except that he could play defense. I remembered when fans like me used to hate on him for being useless on the offensive end, but today he has developed a jumpshot. Developed into an elite 3 and D shooting guard in this league.

navy
01-25-2015, 10:50 PM
Wilt

75% of the board thought he was basically a time-traveled Roy Hibbert until Cavs started dropping videos.
We still do...

jk

Relinquish
01-25-2015, 10:55 PM
Oh and I know he's super young and is playing on a team with limited space but I expected more from Otto Porter.

I think he will become a very solid player, the problem is just that he is behind Pierce and Webster who is on a good sized deal. He was also behind Ariza and Webster last season.

LoneyROY7
01-25-2015, 11:06 PM
Blake Griffin. Thought he was gonna be an undersized tweener in the pros. One trick pony who could only dunk but not against the big boys.

Guess I was kinda wrong. :oldlol:

Just a bit. :roll:

T_L_P
01-25-2015, 11:18 PM
Blake Griffin - he has certainly improved from his rookie season, but not at the pace I'd like. Defense is still suspect, and he hasn't got a very good post game (which means he is too often settling for jumpers). I thought he'd be the next great big man but it turns out he may not even be one of the top three in the game right now.

Cory Joseph - didn't like the pick at the time. I knew he couldn't shoot, and I thought he was too stocky/uncontrolled to play the Point. Turns out he was a great pick, and now he may be favourite player.

Tony Parker - didn't think he'd ever become a 2nd string star. Very glad he proved me wrong.

Brandon Roy - I was wrong about him because I thought he'd be an absolute bust (injuries don't make you one imo).

LJJ
01-25-2015, 11:19 PM
I thought I was wrong about Rondo for a while there, but turns out I was right all along.

Drummond and John Wall for me.

LoneyROY7
01-25-2015, 11:21 PM
Blake Griffin - he has certainly improved from his rookie season, but not at the pace I'd like. Defense is still suspect, and he hasn't got a very good post game (which means he is too often settling for jumpers). I thought he'd be the next great big man but it turns out he may not even be one of the top three in the game right now.

Cory Joseph - didn't like the pick at the time. I knew he couldn't shoot, and I thought he was too stocky/uncontrolled to play the Point. Turns out he was a great pick, and now he may be favourite player.

Tony Parker - didn't think he'd ever become a 2nd string star. Very glad he proved me wrong.

Brandon Roy - I was wrong about him because I thought he'd be an absolute bust (injuries don't make you one imo).

:roll:

Absurd statement.

ScalabrineStan
01-25-2015, 11:38 PM
Derrick Williams - Expected a lot more

Ben McLemore - Thought he was athletic enough to be a real star. Could still prove to be one maybe

Kyrie Irving - Didn't think he was a safe #1 pick

T_L_P
01-25-2015, 11:40 PM

Absurd statement.

Cousins and Davis are clearly better imo. Marc is getting too old but this season he is > Blake.

GimmeThat
01-25-2015, 11:43 PM
I thought tyreke evans would be a superstar/franchise player after his rookie year :(

besides the fact that it shouldn't be a rarity at all.

for being a two way player, he can still get his shots off quite well.

I guess if I was a franchise who used my 4th pick believing in drafting a franchise/superstar player, who turns out to be the second option on a second round playoff team, contender as a 3rd option.

I would either try and snab another top pick without giving him up, and really utilizing those veterans until the possibility of a push over the top.

in which, I feel like the Utah Jazz has been a miss-step on their re-building from an on an year and off an year perspective.

unfortunately, I don't know how many teams are willing to bring in a coach not to contend, but to build some culture before handing it to the next one.

that's not a long career in the professional league of basketball, but will certainly earn many assistant positions with a regular pay check with minimal job duty/responsibilities/stress.

KNOW1EDGE
01-25-2015, 11:46 PM

Absurd statement.

How so?

You think Blake Griffin is better than Cousins, Davis or Aldridge?

Your trippin

Blake is sofa king Beta it's not even funny

Milbuck
01-25-2015, 11:47 PM
Derrick Rose - thought he'd be good...but nowhere near MVP-level (at his best)

John Henson - thought he'd be terrible, bullied out of the league by bigger, stronger guys. This year he started disappointingly but has picked it up. Should become a very nice defensive big down the road.

Klay Thompson - had no idea he'd one day become a top 5 SG all time.

russwest0
01-25-2015, 11:48 PM
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--jUy6OC4Z--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/vrzi2io9kv7px6lk0szm.jpg

LoneyROY7
01-25-2015, 11:49 PM
Cousins and Davis are clearly better imo. Marc is getting too old but this season he is > Blake.

:facepalm

Cousins is putting up big numbers on a bad team. Context dude. Blake would be putting up insane numbers if he replaced him on the Kings.

Gasol may be better than Blake defensively, but Blake is on a different planet offensively.

GimmeThat
01-25-2015, 11:49 PM
Steph Curry. i thought he would have glass ankles forever. even kept making fun of GSW for keeping him.

I somehow don't believe Klay Thompson is still listed at 205 lbs as per basketball-reference

I'll say this though.

I somewhat have a tough time understanding the type of off-season routine Curry does to better his game.

He must have had an absurd amount of basketball IQ, in which wasn't displayed in college.

EnoughSaid
01-25-2015, 11:51 PM
I thought Blake Griffin was going to absolutely demolish the league after his first year, but he's been steadily decreasing ever since and has now become a jumpshooting big. :(

Mr. Jabbar
01-25-2015, 11:53 PM
i thought nash was a big contributor

LoneyROY7
01-25-2015, 11:53 PM
I thought Blake Griffin was going to absolutely demolish the league after his first year, but he's been steadily decreasing ever since and has now become a jumpshooting big. :(

I guess you didn't watch basketball last year. :oldlol:

russwest0
01-25-2015, 11:55 PM
Still a bit early for him, but Otto Porter.

Just thought from every indication he'd be a good player. Has all the tools to be one, and showed great growth throughout college.

T_L_P
01-25-2015, 11:56 PM

Cousins is putting up big numbers on a bad team. Context dude. Blake would be putting up insane numbers if he replaced him on the Kings.

Gasol may be better than Blake defensively, but Blake is on a different planet offensively.

I agree about Gasol. Right now I would take him for the remainder of the season over Blake but it's very close, and Blake is much younger. I did say he may not be top three, because the two (and Adlridge to be fair) are all close.

I think you're off with Cousins though. I've seen the Net Ratings. The Kings are like the worst team in the league with him off the floor, and their record with him (just under .500) isn't 'bad'. He's had a very good season on the defensive end too, even if opposing big men have had some big games on him.

I just thought Blake would be more dominant at this point. Even if he's putting up 25/13s, the jump shooting just isn't that valuable to me (it only really works better than playing near the basket if you can hit 3s like PGs-SFs or Dirk can). He could be taking less as of late, though, as I've not watched a Clippers game in a few weeks?

LoneyROY7
01-26-2015, 12:08 AM
I agree about Gasol. Right now I would take him for the remainder of the season over Blake but it's very close, and Blake is much younger. I did say he may not be top three, because the two (and Adlridge to be fair) are all close.

I think you're off with Cousins though. I've seen the Net Ratings. The Kings are like the worst team in the league with him off the floor, and their record with him (just under .500) isn't 'bad'. He's had a very good season on the defensive end too, even if opposing big men have had some big games on him.

I just thought Blake would be more dominant at this point. Even if he's putting up 25/13s, the jump shooting just isn't that valuable to me (it only really works better than playing near the basket if you can hit 3s like PGs-SFs or Dirk can). He could be taking less as of late, though, as I've not watched a Clippers game in a few weeks?

Blake's been taking jumpers when he's been open (and hitting them at a high clip), not really forcing anything.

I certainly agree that his post game can use a lot of improvement and he hasn't been as aggressive as I would like, but I think the settling of jumpers this season will ultimately play a crucial role in his development. His jump-shot form has improved drastically just from the start of the season to now and that's majorly because he's been taking so many. Now that it's becoming more and more a legit weapon, it will allow him to attack the defense from any spot on the floor.

Blake has struggled in the playoffs because teams have forced him out of the paint. He simply doesn't have the size to pound down low possession after possession. With a deadly jumper, defenses won't have that luxury anymore.

hawksdogsbraves
01-26-2015, 12:22 AM
Blake's been taking jumpers when he's been open (and hitting them at a high clip), not really forcing anything.

I certainly agree that his post game can use a lot of improvement and he hasn't been as aggressive as I would like, but I think the settling of jumpers this season will ultimately play a crucial role in his development. His jump-shot form has improved drastically just from the start of the season to now and that's majorly because he's been taking so many. Now that it's becoming more and more a legit weapon, it will allow him to attack the defense from any spot on the floor.

Blake has struggled in the playoffs because teams have forced him out of the paint. He simply doesn't have the size to pound down low possession after possession. With a deadly jumper, defenses won't have that luxury anymore.

The problem with all of that though is that Blake doesn't have a deadly jumper. His percentage of shots taken from 'midrange', (between 16 feet and the 3 point line) has gone up from 27% in 2013/14 to 37% this year. He only is shooting 40% from there though, (which to be fair is up from 37% last season).

There's really not a good reason that I can see for him to take so many shots from that part of the floor. It pulls him away from the basket and kills his rebounding numbers and ability to hit the offensive boards.

For reference, somebody like Al Horford takes a similar percentage of his shots from 16ft to the 3 point line, (38%) and shoots just over 50% from there. Having Al shoot mid range jumpers is efficient and great for the offense. Not so for Blake.

LoneyROY7
01-26-2015, 12:28 AM
The problem with all of that though is that Blake doesn't have a deadly jumper. His percentage of shots taken from 'midrange', (between 16 feet and the 3 point line) has gone up from 27% in 2013/14 to 37% this year. He only is shooting 40% from there though, (which to be fair is up from 37% last season).

There's really not a good reason that I can see for him to take so many shots from that part of the floor. It pulls him away from the basket and kills his rebounding numbers and ability to hit the offensive boards.

For reference, somebody like Al Horford takes a similar percentage of his shots from 16ft to the 3 point line, (38%) and shoots just over 50% from there. Having Al shoot mid range jumpers is efficient and great for the offense. Not so for Blake.

Those numbers are skewed because his jumper wasn't consistent early in the season. If you watched Blake over the last 10-20 games (which I have and doubt that you have), his jumper has been money and the form has become more and more consistent.

JGXEN
01-26-2015, 04:04 AM

Cousins would put up big numbers nonetheless if he were to be playing with one of the best PG in NBA history, CP3. Don't deride Cousins ability using the state of his team. A great player will be great whether he's on a broken or a great team.

hawksdogsbraves
01-26-2015, 01:00 PM
Those numbers are skewed because his jumper wasn't consistent early in the season. If you watched Blake over the last 10-20 games (which I have and doubt that you have), his jumper has been money and the form has become more and more consistent.

Well you're right I haven't been watching a lot of the Clippers, maybe Blake has gone from a 40% shooter to a 50% shooter over the course of a month.