PDA

View Full Version : Remember when Kyrie was better than Curry?

fandarko
01-26-2015, 03:11 AM
Four years ago, Kyrie was hailed as the second coming of Isiah Thomas, while Curry's longevity (ankles) was questioned.

Would anyone have put their money back then that the first guy was going to struggle to make the All Star team, while the second guy was going to be in the MVP consideration?

I for one wouldn't have.

I loved Curry for his shooting and because of the fact everybody sort of doubted him before he was drafted (too small for SG, not a true PG) and after due to the ankle issues, but Kyrie seemed like the next great PG much more so than Curry (not even in the discussion).

I don't want to take anything away from Irving, who is an all star in my opinion no doubt, but Curry's unquestionably the better player. How improbable that seemed four years ago?

SamuraiSWISH
01-26-2015, 03:23 AM
Curry is better simply for the fact he can actually pass, and is a true PG. Kyrie is a PG sized SG.

Heavincent
01-26-2015, 03:23 AM
No, I don't remember.

Kvnzhangyay
01-26-2015, 03:34 AM
Yeah maybe when Curry was injured and averaging 0/0/0...

sportjames23
01-26-2015, 03:41 AM
I do not recall any such assertion.

Xsatyr
01-26-2015, 03:51 AM
Remember when Curry was better than Thompson?

I keed I keed

RedBlackAttack
01-26-2015, 03:59 AM
You realize Irving is 22 and Curry is 26, right OP? So, "four years ago," Kyrie would have been 18 and Curry would have been older than Irving is... right now. :oldlol:

They're not even close to the same stage in each guys' progression as players. Furthermore, this is more revisionist history. Four years ago, people were arguing Rubio was a better longterm prospect than Irving. Four years ago, a lot of people thought the Cavs were foolish for taking Irving over Derrick Williams.

Kyrie really didn't start to get noticed until the second half of his rookie year. And then, in his second year, people's expectations went completely the other direction.

Curry should be the better player right now. He's in his prime. Irving is frankly nowhere even close to it. The Warriors won 36 games when Curry was 22 and he was but a glimmer of the player he is today.

Kyrie is younger than Damian Lillard, MCW and Shabazz Napier for god's sake.

SamuraiSWISH
01-26-2015, 04:10 AM
They're not even close to the same stage in each guys' progression as players.
To be even more fair, Kyrie hasn't grown much beyond getting better at one dimension he was already talented at. Handle, shooting, and creating his own shot.

He's not a more cerebral player, he isn't a better game manager, playmaker, defender or willing passer. All Irving did was get better at his already established comfort zone.

He's not dimensional like say, Chris Paul or Steph Curry. Or even really like D. Rose and Westbrook, even though he usually out plays the latter in head to heads.

RedBlackAttack
01-26-2015, 04:14 AM
To be even more fair, Kyrie hasn't grown much beyond getting better at one dimension he was already talented at. Handle, shooting, and creating his own shot.

He's not a more cerebral player, he isn't a better game manager, playmaker, defender or willing passer. All Irving did was get better at his already established comfort zone.

He's not dimensional like say, Chris Paul or Steph Curry. Or even really like D. Rose and Westbrook, even though he usually out plays the latter in head to heads.
Pretty clear you haven't followed Irving's career all that closely, which is about what I would expect from a Bulls fan who had little interest in the Cavs from 2011-13. He's a far better player now than when he came into the league.

Everybody knows that Kyrie Irving was put on this planet to get buckets. He is one of the most electrifying below the rim players in the game, with the ability to demolish a defenders ankles before knocking down any jumper. But the offensive impact he is having on the team in comparison to past seasons is staggering. The Cavaliers offensive rating for the season (points scored per 100 possessions) is 106.6. That number increases to 110.5 when Irving is on the court and and is an abysmal 95.8 when he is on the bench. The second lowest off court individual offensive rating on the team is LeBron James at 100.4 (the Cavs score 100.4 points per 100 possessions when LeBron sits). Simply put, the Cavs offense has been putrid when Irving is not out on the court.

Irving's 56.7 true shooting percentage is a career high and he is also averaging a career low in turnovers a game at 2.2. For all the talk of Irving being a black hole on offense, he is 15th in the league in passes per game (per sports VU) despite being a secondary facilitator on the team next to LeBron James. He is also sporting a career low usage rate of 24.1 percent; which is tied for 44th in the league with Tony Parker.

http://www.fearthesword.com/2015/1/25/7882265/kyrie-irving-deserves-to-be-an-all-star

His growth as an all-around player and difference-maker while on the floor is as clear as day, both when you watch him and if you look at his numbers beyond the most basic PPG and APG.

His defense is also improving rapidly.

SamuraiSWISH
01-26-2015, 04:19 AM
Pretty clear you haven't followed Irving's career all that closely, which is about what I would expect from a Bulls fan who had little interest in the Cavs from 2011-13. He's a far better player now than when he came into the league.
He's a NON mother fukking factor on winning basketball games. Or taking his team to the playoffs. He's so much as proven that. Kyrie is however an entertaining player, the premier all star game type player, that's it. You are overstating his improvement because you're a Cavs fan, plain and simple. LeBron was having issues with his mentality, and game as recently as like 3 to 4 weeks ago. Basically a loser mentality. Look all the games they lost sans LeBron, while still playing along side more than adequate NBA talent?

RedBlackAttack
01-26-2015, 04:21 AM
He's a NON mother fukking factor on winning basketball games. Or taking his team to the playoffs. He's so much as proven that. Kyrie is however an entertaining player, that's it. You are overstating his improvement because you're a Cavs fan, plain and simple. LeBron was having issues with his mentality, and game as recently as like 3 to 4 weeks ago. Look all the games they lost sans LeBron, while still playing along side more than adequate NBA talent?
Zero insight.

Good effort though.

I'll post it again, in case you missed it...

Everybody knows that Kyrie Irving was put on this planet to get buckets. He is one of the most electrifying below the rim players in the game, with the ability to demolish a defenders ankles before knocking down any jumper. But the offensive impact he is having on the team in comparison to past seasons is staggering. The Cavaliers offensive rating for the season (points scored per 100 possessions) is 106.6. That number increases to 110.5 when Irving is on the court and and is an abysmal 95.8 when he is on the bench. The second lowest off court individual offensive rating on the team is LeBron James at 100.4 (the Cavs score 100.4 points per 100 possessions when LeBron sits). Simply put, the Cavs offense has been putrid when Irving is not out on the court.

Irving's 56.7 true shooting percentage is a career high and he is also averaging a career low in turnovers a game at 2.2. For all the talk of Irving being a black hole on offense, he is 15th in the league in passes per game (per sports VU) despite being a secondary facilitator on the team next to LeBron James. He is also sporting a career low usage rate of 24.1 percent; which is tied for 44th in the league with Tony Parker.

Feel free to respond to this data with anything resembling a coherent argument other than cliches that no longer apply. I bolded the important parts to make it easier. TIA

Heavincent
01-26-2015, 04:27 AM
Damn, I actually kind of forgot Irving was so young. He's probably a year or two away from his prime.

People have been giving him too much shit.