PDA

View Full Version : Shaq will beat ANYONE 1 on 1 by a landslide

sejoon101
01-26-2015, 10:31 PM
I hear people talking about Jordan Curry Melo (perimeter) Irving IversonRose (slashers) 1 on 1...

Let's say the rules are first to 10, and once basket goes in, start over at the 3 point line.

People think since you start back at the 3 point line, perimeter players and quick slashers with the ability to get to the rim will will be Godlike 1v1

WRONG You dumb nikkas, the MOMENT one of these guys miss, Shaq will simply back yo lil ass down ALL THE WAY down to the post where he'll simply dunk it. If Shaq starts with the ball, he'll beat anyone 10-0 Every time.

*edit* Make it take it.
Rules - Once you make the ball, you go back to the 3 point line with the ball and start over.

nathanjizzle
01-26-2015, 10:33 PM
I hear people talking about Jordan Curry Melo (perimeter) Irving IversonRose (slashers) 1 on 1...

Let's say the rules are first to 10, and once basket goes in, start over at the 3 point line.

People think since you start back at the 3 point line, perimeter players and quick slashers with the ability to get to the rim will will be Godlike 1v1

WRONG You dumb nikkas, the MOMENT one of these guys miss, Shaq will simply back yo lil ass down ALL THE WAY down to the post where he'll simply dunk it. If Shaq starts with the ball, he'll beat anyone 10-0 Every time.

wrong. thats what idiot common thinkers would believe.

Mass Debator
01-26-2015, 10:34 PM
If it's make it take it then I agree...if not, great three point shooters have a great shot at beating Shaq.

russwest0
01-26-2015, 10:35 PM
if it's 2s and 1s how's he gonna win vs someone like Curry who can just run around and jack up 3's?

SugarHill
01-26-2015, 10:35 PM
wrong. thats what idiot conventional thinkers would believe.
enlighten OP as you hold the true answer

Prometheus
01-26-2015, 10:36 PM
Yeah I'm sure Hakeem, Kareem, Wilt, etc. would stand no chance...

:coleman:

JimmyMcAdocious
01-26-2015, 10:37 PM
Diaw could take him.

Mass Debator
01-26-2015, 10:38 PM
Yeah I'm sure Hakeem, Kareem, Wilt, etc. would stand no chance...

:coleman:
OP pretty much specified only perimeter players not being able to beat Shaq 1v1. He said nothing about great bigs.

SugarHill
01-26-2015, 10:39 PM
OP pretty much specified only perimeter players not being able to beat Shaq 1v1. He said nothing about great bigs.
yeah, you know, outside the title of the thread being "Shaq will beat ANYONE 1 on 1 by a landslide"

Marchesk
01-26-2015, 10:40 PM
Lebron can guard the 5 spot. :confusedshrug:

CavaliersFTW
01-26-2015, 10:40 PM
Wilt would beat him.

Marchesk
01-26-2015, 10:41 PM
Wilt would beat him.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls6xdcBw9W1qcmnsoo1_1280.png

Wilt isn't smaller, so Shaq isn't going to just back him down from the 3pt line, lol.

G0ATbe
01-26-2015, 10:43 PM
Not if the defender has good upper body strength. For example, Shaq wouldn't be able to back down a prime Kobe. Maybe a tired Kobe, but a fully energized Kobe in a defensive stance:kobe: ? Good luck hitting long fadeaways Shaq.

qrich
01-26-2015, 10:44 PM
Steve Novak would win, let him shoot for ball, buckets, he won't miss.

Marchesk
01-26-2015, 10:46 PM
Not if the defender has good upper body strength. For example, Shaq wouldn't be able to back down a prime Kobe. Maybe a tired Kobe, but a fully energized Kobe in a defensive stance:kobe: ? Good luck hitting long fadeaways Shaq.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-12/26/xin_4512012610395811708815.jpg

Lalo
01-26-2015, 10:52 PM
I'd take Kobe over Shaq in a game of 21 w/ NBA fouling rules

CavaliersFTW
01-26-2015, 10:55 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls6xdcBw9W1qcmnsoo1_1280.png

Wilt isn't smaller, so Shaq isn't going to just back him down from the 3pt line, lol.
That picture isn't even accurate, Shaq is closer to the camera in it. Wilt's actually measured an inch taller than Shaq they aren't the same height, and Shaqs shoulders and upper body sits a bit lower on his frame so Wilt had a 2 inch standing reach advantage on him
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ZSS4UHjiUHw/UuSAVKY4Q6I/AAAAAAAAE7M/GJx6GQUV7V4/s640/Sequence%252001.Still017.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-kf1oH-0whOs/UuR-cdmKiFI/AAAAAAAAE7A/Yh6mIY8ygkQ/s640/Sequence%252001.Still009.jpg

TheMarkMadsen
01-26-2015, 10:58 PM
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-12/26/xin_4512012610395811708815.jpg

so Shaqs just going to sit in the paint and instead of shooing the open jumper Kobe is going to drive directly at him?

JimmyMcAdocious
01-26-2015, 11:00 PM
How long/tall was Gheorghe Muresan's wingspan and reach?

CavaliersFTW
01-26-2015, 11:00 PM
so Shaqs just going to sit in the paint and instead of shooing the open jumper Kobe is going to drive directly at him?
Shaq has legs you know, if Kobe tries to go left... Shaq goes left too. There's no going "around" Shaq he isn't gonna just sit still.

CavaliersFTW
01-26-2015, 11:02 PM
How long/tall was Gheorghe Muresan's wingspan and reach?
http://www.interbasket.net/players/muresan.htm

7 feet 10"

SugarHill
01-26-2015, 11:04 PM
Shaq has legs you know, if Kobe tries to go left... Shaq goes left too. There's no going "around" Shaq he isn't gonna just sit still.
Shaq isn't running around chasing Kobe away from the hoop

sundizz
01-26-2015, 11:13 PM
http://s3-static-ak.buzzfed.com/static/campaign_images/webdr06/2013/7/3/11/young-shaq-takes-jordan-one-on-one-with-a-surpris-1-7166-1372865458-37_big.jpg

Cuz we all saw how well MJ did against Shaq. Too fast, too big, too strong, and most importantly....just too damn explosive.

CavaliersFTW
01-26-2015, 11:28 PM
Shaq isn't running around chasing Kobe away from the hoop
You're right but laterally he sure as heck is going to put himself between Kobe and the hoop the entire time. Kobe is not going to just get "around" him and find a clear path to the hoop which is what was said.

plowking
01-26-2015, 11:37 PM
A big SF or PF is always going to be the most effective one on one player.

Shaq in his Orlando days is actually a good example of a good prototype for a one on one player. Athletic like hell, quick and just too strong.

DatAsh
01-26-2015, 11:39 PM
Probably anyone except Wilt.

TheMarkMadsen
01-26-2015, 11:40 PM
You're right but laterally he sure as heck is going to put himself between Kobe and the hoop the entire time. Kobe is not going to just get "around" him and find a clear path to the hoop which is what was said.

damn if only phil knew he had a lock down perimeter defender in shaq.

CavaliersFTW
01-26-2015, 11:47 PM
damn if only phil knew he had a lock down perimeter defender in shaq.
Actually I misread what you initially said. You said Kobe would shoot over him, I thought for some reason you said Kobe would just get around him.

True, Kobe would be able to get his perimeter shot off. But have them play 10 games one on one. Who's shot is going to be more consistent, Shaq's back down and dunk, or Kobe's (or any much smaller perimeter players) jumper?

My money is on the skilled, powerful bigs. It's not to say a perimeter player can't beat a big if their shot is on point if their shot is falling they have a chance but you live AND die by the perimeter shot. The dunk is guarantee'd virtually every time against wing players in the hands of diesels like Shaq, Gilmore or Wilt. Their toughest matchups would only be against each other.

SexSymbol
01-26-2015, 11:51 PM
Actually I misread what you initially said. You said Kobe would shoot over him, I thought for some reason you said Kobe would just get around him.

True, Kobe would be able to get his perimeter shot off. But have them play 10 games one on one. Who's shot is going to be more consistent, Shaq's back down and dunk, or Kobe's (or any much smaller perimeter players) jumper?

My money is on the skilled, powerful bigs. It's not to say a perimeter player can't beat a big if their shot is on point if their shot is falling they have a chance but you live AND die by the perimeter shot. The dunk is guarantee'd virtually every time against wing players in the hands of diesels like Shaq, Gilmore or Wilt. Their toughest matchups would only be against each other.
Kobe's 3 would be more consistent. C'mon, in a practive environment where shaq wouldn't even try to bother him he'd make 8 out of 10 threes easily. These are professionals we're talking about. Meanwhile Shaq would get stripped or Kobe could pull a chair or he could just straight up miss the hook and after on miss it's practically game over

TheMarkMadsen
01-26-2015, 11:53 PM

Shaq isn't going to be able to just back down all the way from the 3pt line to the basket, unless the 5 second rule is just thrown out

Kobe can't hold Shaq in the post and Shaq wouldn't be able to say in front of perimeter players like Jordan and Kobe.

CavaliersFTW
01-26-2015, 11:56 PM
Kobe's 3 would be more consistent. C'mon, in a practive environment where shaq wouldn't even try to bother him he'd make 8 out of 10 threes easily. These are professionals we're talking about. Meanwhile Shaq would get stripped or Kobe could pull a chair or he could just straight up miss the hook and after on miss it's practically game over
If the ball is in the hands of a skilled big one on one... in a MISMATCH no less, their shot rate is a virtual 100%

The shot rate of a perimiter player taking contested jumpers, regardless of the quickness disadvantage from the bigs, is not 100%. Like I said, I'm picking the big every time. I've actually seen Wilt on a switch in his 30's 23 feet out block Earl Monroe's jumper. The bigs are just too long and too powerful for perimeter players. They will shoot a virtual 100%, the perimeter players they play 1 on 1 will not.

Smoke117
01-26-2015, 11:58 PM
Shaq isn't going to be able to just back down all the way from the 3pt line to the basket, unless the 5 second rule is just thrown out

Kobe can't hold Shaq in the post and Shaq wouldn't be able to say in front of perimeter players like Jordan and Kobe.

Who the hell uses a 5 second rule in a game of 1 on 1?

Marchesk
01-26-2015, 11:59 PM

:lol

That's what I was wondering. What, is Kobe gonna call five seconds, and Shaq will hand the ball over to him?

CavaliersFTW
01-26-2015, 11:59 PM
Plus lol that it would take more than 5 seconds for Shaq to bump Kobe right into the front row.

sejoon101
01-27-2015, 12:13 AM
The reason I'm saying Shaq can beat ANYONE are because of the following reasons -

Laker Shaq can back down anyone. ANYONE. Including the great bigs such as Kareem and Wilt. No one can match him strength wise. You nikkas see how dominant he was in the paint in the 3 peat??? That's with 3 defenders on him.
A 1 on 1? LOL He'll overpower ANYONE and simply get to the rim at will with his back to the basket pushing the shoulder towards the defenders chest, from the 3 point line, then simply dunk it when he gets close enough. GG

CavaliersFTW
01-27-2015, 12:26 AM
The reason I'm saying Shaq can beat ANYONE are because of the following reasons -

Laker Shaq can back down anyone. ANYONE. Including the great bigs such as Kareem and Wilt. No one can match him strength wise. You nikkas see how dominant he was in the paint in the 3 peat??? That's with 3 defenders on him.
A 1 on 1? LOL He'll overpower ANYONE and simply get to the rim at will with his back to the basket pushing the shoulder towards the defenders chest, from the 3 point line, then simply dunk it when he gets close enough. GG
I hear you but I'm still not convinced he would back down Wilt Chamberlain. He never faced anyone in Wilt's class of size and strength... Wilt never faced anyone in Shaq's either, but the stories surrounding Wilt paint him to be the stronger of the two players. Shaq was heavier yet still very strong, Wilt was stronger yet still very heavy. It's an interesting debate but I'd never bet against Wilt in a one on one situation.

oarabbus
01-27-2015, 12:27 AM
I'd take a Healthy Yao over Shaq in a 1v1. Certainly wouldn't be a "landslide".

plowking
01-27-2015, 12:29 AM
I hear you but I'm still not convinced he would back down Wilt Chamberlain. He never faced anyone in Wilt's class of size and strength... Wilt never faced anyone in Shaq's either, but the stories surrounding Wilt paint him to be the stronger of the two players. Shaq was heavier yet still very strong, Wilt was stronger yet still very heavy. It's an interesting debate but I'd never bet against Wilt in a one on one situation.

The stories do paint Wilt as stronger.

But actual fact tells us he wasn't as strong or as good as Shaq.

SugarHill
01-27-2015, 12:40 AM
I call over the back fouls in 1on1

DatAsh
01-27-2015, 12:46 AM

This.

I'd really like to see someone try and overpower Wilt. I think they'd be in for a rude awakening - even Shaq.

FKAri
01-27-2015, 12:46 AM
The stories do paint Wilt as stronger.

But actual fact tells us he wasn't as strong or as good as Shaq.

Wilt beat a gorilla in arm wrestling while getting a bj under the table. Shaq can't match that.

bukowski81
01-27-2015, 01:52 AM
Shaq wont just back down perimeter players 10 times out of 10. They are smaller, faster, with quicker hands. They will steal the ball sometimes.

CavaliersFTW
01-27-2015, 01:55 AM
Shaq wont just back down perimeter players 10 times out of 10. They are smaller, faster, with quicker hands. They will steal the ball sometimes.
If you're a backcourt player you steal the ball from a big as help defense... not from behind one on one, not unless you've got a tremendous reach advantage to poke the ball away. Who's got a reach advantage on Shaq? No backcourt players that I'm aware of.

navy
01-27-2015, 01:57 AM
Wilt was soft though.
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337024

Soundwave
01-27-2015, 01:58 AM
Prime Hakeem would beat Shaq 1-on-1.

To be honest 1-on-1 to 10/11 really is nothing like "real" basketball any number of freakish things can happen.

Reggie Miller theoretically could beat Shaq 1-on-1 if his jumper was on.

CavaliersFTW
01-27-2015, 02:04 AM
Wilt was soft though.
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337024
Because in his era, running over people was a foul.

If he played against Shaq, and Shaq tried to run him over, Wilt would have had the upper hand with his superior upper body strength.

And Wilt has one huge advantage over Shaq that hasn't been mentioned yet. Stamina. You know how tired you can get playing one on one? Even if a matchup started out close Shaq would wear out way before Wilt would.

navy
01-27-2015, 02:08 AM
Because in his era, running over people was a foul.

If he played against Shaq, and Shaq tried to run him over, Wilt would have had the upper hand with his superior upper body strength.

And Wilt has one huge advantage over Shaq that hasn't been mentioned yet. Stamina. You know how tired you can get playing one on one? Even if a matchup started out close Shaq would wear out way before Wilt would.

That's not what Thurmond said to be honest.

CavaliersFTW
01-27-2015, 02:23 AM
Who cares that he didn't say it? I'm saying it. Thurmond didn't take into account the difference in how refs called fouls in his era vs the Shaq era.

http://youtu.be/_B7jVTJ_CIE?t=32m14s
Oscar Robertson: "It would be a good match Shaq was powerfully built, Wilt was strong up top" "Wilt would lean in with those flippers and dunks, you just couldn't keep him out from underneath the basket"

Wilt: "As they call fouls today Shaq gets away with what I consider murder, I would think when you dip your shoulder and you run over the guy and the foul is called on the guy laying on the floor you're getting away with something. Shaq is allowed to score some points that maybe he wouldn't get."

"He plays an entirely different game than me he uses his physicality and he's a big strong young man and that works well in today's game. If he was facing me not so good. I'm a guy benching 600 pounds at my best."

Sonny Hill: "Wilt would take Shaquiille O'Neal, and move him around like he was a rag doll."

There's some more testimony.

Yes, Wilt played more a finesse game than Shaq. Thurmond is right about that and I nor Chamberlain, nor Robertson nor anyone denies it. But you think Wilt would just let Shaq run him over? Come on. Hell no. You bully a guy stronger than you my guess is you're in for a rude awakening.

plowking
01-27-2015, 02:30 AM

It'd be hilarious watching Shaq move and dunk on Wilt.

I could just imagine it being like Chris Dudley all over again. :oldlol:

Wilt would just be up against a better and stronger player, and wouldn't know what to do.

CavaliersFTW
01-27-2015, 02:34 AM

Wilt would just be up against a better and stronger player, and wouldn't know what to do.
6-9 235lb Chris Dudley?

Yeah he's a good analogue for Wilt physically.

plowking
01-27-2015, 02:43 AM
6-9 235lb Chris Dudley?

Yeah he's a good analogue for Wilt physically.

He was David Robinson's build. Around 265-275lbs in his best years.

Shaq bullied him. Same would happen.

CavaliersFTW
01-27-2015, 02:56 AM
He was David Robinson's build. Around 265-275lbs in his best years.

Shaq bullied him. Same would happen.
David Robinson was a 227lb rookie
David Robinson was 250 in his prime.
David Robinson maxed out at about 265.

Wilt was a 258lb rookie.
Wilt was 292 in his prime.
Wilt maxed out at about 327.

Not the same size players. Not comparable. Robinson is closer to Bill Russell in stature than he is to Wilt's. His physique and athleticism is more like if Bill Russell would have lifted weights. He was tall and athletic, not massive.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-sJ8-6it3yKI/UjP3C8U0KYI/AAAAAAAAEqo/eUg7qg_3Ndk/s800/Wilt%2520and%2520Russell%2520Next%2520to%2520Drob. jpg

OnFire
01-27-2015, 03:11 AM
Shaq in 1 on 1 would look like Shaq in Blue Chips when they discovered him in that dark ass gym.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhiV6KfBmqA

dunksby
01-27-2015, 03:24 AM

Except Wilt was an elite post defender with bball smarts, I'd love to watch that matchup too see how Shaq is going to back Wilt down from the 3pt line all the way to the low post and eventually the hoop. I wonder how many times Wilt would pull the chair and embarrass him, or give him a bit of space and make him face up.

triangleoffense
01-27-2015, 03:26 AM
I agree with whoever said that this is what idiots think who have never really played a lot of organized ball, any perimeter player could just run around shaq shoot 3s all day and tire him out.

iamgine
01-27-2015, 04:04 AM
It doesn't even need to be Shaq. Someone like...David West could pretty much dominate the weaker perimeter players.

The perimeter players won't be able to run around that easily because of course the big guy will give them abit of a distance. Perimeter player...will miss their shots. Jordan miss shots 1 on 1, Kobe miss shots 1 on 1, and that's against non NBA players. There's just a lot less chance to miss lay up or dunk for the big guys. And even if they do, they should get the rebound.

julizaver
01-27-2015, 05:13 AM

*edit* Make it take it.
Rules - Once you make the ball, you go back to the 3 point line with the ball and start over.

"Perhaps the most famous one-on-one challenge was supposed to be between Shaquille O’Neal and Hakeem Olajuwon. The game had a sponsor in Taco Bell, a venue in the Taj Mahal Casino in Atlantic City and was supposed to go down on September 30th, 1995. The “Taco Bell One-On-One Championship,” otherwise known as “The War on the Floor,” was going to be a pay-per-view event available nationwide, but sadly it was cancelled due to Hakeem’s ailing back."

By the way Shaq and Hakeem went one one just before Shaq entering the league. Here is an excerpt of his book, which was posted by fpliii in another thread http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364608:

"I was being represented at the time by the Los Angeles-based agent Leonard Armato and one day he brought one of his new clients to the high school gym, this guy just out of Louisiana State University, Shaquille O’Neal.

I had spent entire summers going up against Moses Malone so I had some idea of what Shaquille might be thinking when he met me on the gym floor. *”Be a man!”* But Armato had told me Shaquille had said some very complimentary things about me, and, of course, I had heard about the number-one pick in the 1992 draft. I was having such a good time getting into condition and working on my moves that I invited Shaquille to work with me. This was not a game and we were not competing, this was going to be very pleasant. We trained together that day.

The first thing I noticed about Shaquille was that he was a lot bigger than I was. I was 6’11” and weighted about 250 pound he was 7’2” and up around 300—and still growing! He had the perfect big man’s body; once he got in the paint there was nothing anybody was going to be able to do with him.

We practiced moves together, big man’s moves. He tossed me the ball and I put up a jump hook. I tossed him the ball and he did exactly what I did. We did that a couple of times. Then, as a courtesy, I said, “You do something and I’ll follow you.” He put up a turnaround jumper and I did the same thing.

To show him how to fake the turnaround and use it as a threat to make the jump hook more effective, I told him, “Okay, you guard me.”

He didn’t know whether I was going to shoot the jumper or the jump hook. The players I had gone up against in the league or in practice had consistently fallen for the fake. I got the ball with my back to the basket and faked to my right. He bought the fake. I turned hard to my left, and shot the jump hook. At that moment he was lost; that move was sharp and new to him.

But the next time I tried it Shaquille straightened out. That’s when I realized how quick Shaquille was. In the league when they go for the fakes they never recover. But that’s what was different about Shaquille, he recovered and was there for the block. Shaquille wanted to block everything. I remembered how that felt.

Then I gave Shaquille the ball and showed him the basics of the Dream Shake. I showed him the moves and the footwork. Why would I do that when I knew we were going to play against each other for the next ten or fifteen years? I like sharing moves. If you’re scared about competition you shouldn’t even be in this league. I take joy in watching a skillful big man use his skills and I knew that if he wanted to, Shaquille would use the Dream Shake well.

Then I guarded him.

Shaquille was a fast learner. I had showed my moves to people before, and very often I’ had to instruct them over and over, something would be wrong. Not Shaquille. If he saw it he could do it. Show him, give him the ball, and he’ll do it exactly. I saw how high he jumped, how he released the ball far out of my reach. He was bigger and stronger than I was and he was taking my shot at a higher level. I was there to block him if he tried only half-heartedly, but he found right away that if the move was *sharp* he could beat me. That, in a single lesson, is the bottom line of the NBA: Play hard, if people respect you move they will back off and you can beat them. And Shaquille got it.

Shaquille showed me some moves of his own. He had power and energy and he was young. He did not really shoot a hook shot, he threw it down. I would finish a move with a jump hook a few feet from the basket, he would finish with a hook *dunk* with his hand inside the rim! He also had a nice touch on his turnaround jump shot, which was unusual for a man as big as he was. The jumper was natural, nice touch, particularly from the baseline. He was so big I didn’t have time to see if he was faking, I had to go up with him in order to have any chance to block him. One time he faked, I went up and he went under me. He made a nice move on me. I had tremendous respect for his ability.

In the league we would hear about kids in college who were going to come out and be a force, but we never knew what was hype and what was truth. College reputations are fine for college players, but in the pros you make your name all over again. Some guys start from scratch, some come from nowhere, some guys surpass expectations, and some can never live up to them. None of this was Shaquille’s problem. I knew right away this young man was going to terrorize the league. Any publicity he was going to get, he deserved it.

It was a wonderful morning. We worked together for two hours and it was very good to practice my post moves against someone who could play strong defense against them. Shaquille worked hard and so did I.

I enjoyed playing with Shaquille and I enjoyed being with him. He was a cool guy. No ego. I told him I really liked his nickname: Shaq. Some nicknames are just okay but his rhymed and it had the right meaning, that was his game. Shaq Attack. I liked my nickname for the same reason, it rhymed and it had the right meaning: The Dream. My whole life was too good to be true. I told him and he smiled. He seemed kind of shy. We talked and he knew I liked him right away. We established a relationship with mutual respect and I was very happy to have met him."

deja vu
01-27-2015, 05:21 AM
Hakeem would embarrass Shaq. So no, Shaq won't beat ANYBODY 1-on-1.

JebronLames
01-27-2015, 05:35 AM
LOL real 1 on 1 is all ones and no twos. LeBron would be favored over anyone.

julizaver
01-27-2015, 05:45 AM

Me also.
There is a fine example of SF (Juliue Erving) vs skillful big man (Kareem) going head to head in youtube. It is called Clash of the legends:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3DWaKXaAYA

Kareem beat badly Dr. J, who had no answers for Kareem's moves. Here is a resume of that duel and also accounts of other duels if someone is interested:

- George Gervin vs Rick Barry
- Geroge Gervin vs Tiny Archibald
- Rick Barry vs Connie Hawkins

And the view of the refferee Earl Strom about it:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1955&dat=19920322&id=XZokAAAAIBAJ&sjid=8qIFAAAAIBAJ&pg=4008,2408139

tgan3
01-27-2015, 06:43 AM
No he wouldn't. If you are backing up from the 3 point line, it take a long time to get to the post where the perimeter player can easily steal the ball, shaq doesn't have the best of handles.

If he do get to the paint, shaq's shot percentage is high. But shaq cannot stop the perimeter player like-wise who will just blow past him for the layup..

dunksby
01-27-2015, 07:41 AM
[QUOTE=julizaver]"Perhaps the most famous one-on-one challenge was supposed to be between Shaquille O

JebronLames
01-27-2015, 07:55 AM
Me also.
There is a fine example of SF (Juliue Erving) vs skillful big man (Kareem) going head to head in youtube. It is called Clash of the legends:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3DWaKXaAYA

Kareem beat badly Dr. J, who had no answers for Kareem's moves. Here is a resume of that duel and also accounts of other duels if someone is interested:

- George Gervin vs Rick Barry
- Geroge Gervin vs Tiny Archibald
- Rick Barry vs Connie Hawkins

And the view of the refferee Earl Strom about it:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1955&dat=19920322&id=XZokAAAAIBAJ&sjid=8qIFAAAAIBAJ&pg=4008,2408139
Noticed there was a 12 second shot clock. What are standard rules for one on one basketball?

sundizz
01-27-2015, 08:22 AM
Do any of you even play hoops? One on one pretty much comes down to size (if both parties are reasonably skilled). There is no way that anyone can stop Shaq from backing down, or getting to the rim, if he plays smart and tries to do that every play. A dunk, or miss, get rebound, putback dunk is always going to be a higher percentage shot than anything else anyone takes. Also, a young Shaq was pretty damn fast, quick and agile. It's not like anybody is really going to be "blowing" by him. The best chance they have is to back up and shoot tres.

julizaver
01-27-2015, 08:27 AM
Noticed there was a 12 second shot clock. What are standard rules for one on one basketball?

I don't know about standard rules. I think the rules for that Clashes of the legends games were negotiated prior to the games, as I have read about Kareem insisting upon 3pt line to be 22 ft instead of initialy proposed 19 ft.

julizaver
01-27-2015, 08:36 AM
Do any of you even play hoops? One on one pretty much comes down to size (if both parties are reasonably skilled). There is no way that anyone can stop Shaq from backing down, or getting to the rim, if he plays smart and tries to do that every play. A dunk, or miss, get rebound, putback dunk is always going to be a higher percentage shot than anything else anyone takes. Also, a young Shaq was pretty damn fast, quick and agile. It's not like anybody is really going to be "blowing" by him. The best chance they have is to back up and shoot tres.

Probably a player like Ray Allen would have some chanse in case three pointer is count for 2 and he was fast enough to moved past Shaq if he comes to cover him. A players with mid-range game would be in Shaq range and no matter how good or fast they are it will be extremely dificult to shot over athletic 7 ft with quick reflexes and good hoops (young Shaq). The episode of MJ playing one on one with yound Shaq showed exactly this.

dunksby
01-27-2015, 08:44 AM
Probably a player like Ray Allen would have some chanse in case three pointer is count for 2 and he was fast enough to moved past Shaq if he comes to cover him. A players with mid-range game would be in Shaq range and no matter how good or fast they are it will be extremely dificult to shot over athletic 7 ft with quick reflexes and good hoops (young Shaq).
Elite shooters get hot quickly, if it's make it and take it I could see one making any shot unless Shaq's fingertips deflect it. However 9 out of ten times having Shaq in your face would throw anyone off their rhythm.

Dresta
01-27-2015, 09:23 AM
Hakeem would embarrass Shaq. So no, Shaq won't beat ANYBODY 1-on-1.
Exactly, and he could always just wrap the guy up, makehim shoot fts - it is Shaq, after all. Most NBA players could beat him 1 on 1 if they simply did this.

julizaver
01-27-2015, 11:22 AM
Exactly, and he could always just wrap the guy up, makehim shoot fts - it is Shaq, after all. Most NBA players could beat him 1 on 1 if they simply did this.

Not quite agree about it. Shaq would make his dunks with "most of NBA players" even on his back. :)))
Seriosly I would like to see Hakeem vs Shaq one on one. In 1995 NBA Finals Shaq was not beaten so badly as some of the posters sugested here. As I remembered when guarded closely by Shaq Hakeem had some difficulties and does not dominate him to the extend he dominated Robinson. In fact they were close. Hakeem had that mid range jump shots made some clutch plays, but it was the other Magic players who underperformed in that series.
Shaq to be honest admited that was outplayed by Hakeem and took as a man. So in that case we shall aknowledged that Hakeem got the upper hand, although for me young Shaq held his own against prime Hakeem.

For me it was as if Magic were too unexperienced to face the Rockets. And expereince is what made the difference in that series.

PistonsFan#21
01-27-2015, 11:59 AM
In a 1v1 game to 10 points Klay would score 37pts in the quarter without a miss. Hes just that good :basketball

freshperry
01-27-2015, 02:34 PM
Didnt hakeem wreck shaq in the finals? Im not saying it was 1v1 by any means but its kinda foolish to think hakeem doesnt stand even a remote chance as the original poster claims....

ArbitraryWater
01-27-2015, 02:50 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll:

IncarceratedBob
01-27-2015, 03:45 PM
Shaq is easily beatable in 1v1... He's so slow and cant make shots from outside 4 feet

edit: honestly all you gotta do is dribble past him and lay it up every time

smoovegittar
01-27-2015, 06:07 PM
Fool's post. Prime KG devours Shaq 1 on 1. Next...

CavaliersFTW
01-27-2015, 06:17 PM
Fool's post. Prime KG devours Shaq 1 on 1. Next...
:biggums: A skinnier guy with less length?

CavaliersFTW
01-27-2015, 06:22 PM
I bet Charles Barkley was a great one on one player. Still would get ousted by the bigs due to their superior rim-protecting length. But against wing players I bet Barkley would do quite well with his strength and mass.

smoovegittar
01-27-2015, 06:27 PM
:biggums: A skinnier guy with less length?

At his peak, KG could just about destroy anyone 1 on 1. Wilt was skinny too, right?

addendeum: You think Shaq had more length than Garnett?

CavaliersFTW
01-27-2015, 06:35 PM
At his peak, KG could just about destroy anyone 1 on 1. Wilt was skinny too, right?

addendeum: You think Shaq had more length then Garnett?
Wilt was probably the strongest player that ever played, he's a lot ... I mean a LOT bigger than KG. KG at his absolute heaviest is still not as heavy as Wilt was as a rookie. Wilt was 258-327lbs, 292lbs in his prime. KG was 217-252lbs, 235lbs, maybe 240? in his prime. So calling him skinny and calling Wilt skinny are two totally different things.

Yes, Shaq is longer than KG. Shaq is 6-11.5 and/or 7-0 without shoes depending on the source with a 7-7 armspan

KG is 6-11 and 1/4, with IIRC a 7-4 or 7-5 armspan?

smoovegittar
01-27-2015, 06:41 PM
Wilt was probably the strongest player that ever played, he's a lot ... I mean a LOT bigger than KG. KG at his absolute heaviest is still not as heavy as Wilt was as a rookie. Wilt was 258-327lbs, 292lbs in his prime. KG was 217-252lbs, 235lbs, maybe 240? in his prime. So calling him skinny and calling Wilt skinny are two totally different things.

Yes, Shaq is longer than KG. Shaq is 6-11.5 and/or 7-0 without shoes depending on the source with a 7-7 armspan

KG is 6-11 and 1/4, with IIRC a 7-4 or 7-5 armspan?

Well, all these numbers are fancy, and I commend you. But after watching both players over the years, we'll agree to disagree. I think Garnett's moves could handle Shaq fairly easily.

ralph_i_el
01-27-2015, 06:47 PM
Don't you shoot for the ball? Playing 2's and 1's?

Curry shoots for it, gets the ball first, and shoots 5 straight 3's.

If shaq gets the ball you just have to knock it away once.

I'm sure shaq would win most of the time, but I think some great shooters could beat him

Lebronxrings
01-27-2015, 06:49 PM
Wilt would beat him.
so would the starting center on my local high school.

plowking
01-27-2015, 08:03 PM

Have you ever played one on one?

Wrap him up in a one on one game? ***** shit.
If you keep fouling people play a point and the ball back, or a free throw and the ball back. So either way, Shaq is getting that ball back.

Have people seriously never played one on one here? The bigger guy usually takes the cake, and if it is players who have been playing their whole lives like pro's with all that experience, the bigger guy will win.

SexSymbol
01-27-2015, 08:24 PM
The reality is that if a big tries to back down the smaller player from the three point line, 9/10 the ball will be stolen from him, as there are practically no fouls in 1v1 and it's pretty easy to steal the ball from a big if you can at least somewhat foul him.
Any elite big has no chance against a perimeter player who's at least average at stealing and shooting the three.

JebronLames
01-27-2015, 08:27 PM
The reality is that if a big tries to back down the smaller player from the three point line, 9/10 the ball will be stolen from him, as there are practically no fouls in 1v1 and it's pretty easy to steal the ball from a big if you can at least somewhat foul him.
Any elite big has no chance against a perimeter player who's at least average at stealing and shooting the three.
LMAO dat logic. Big men have trouble dribbling in traffic. If there's only one defender, their ball handling will be fine.

CavaliersFTW
01-27-2015, 08:34 PM
LMAO dat logic. Big men have trouble dribbling in traffic. If there's only one defender, their ball handling will be fine.
Exactly. Their giant bodies will be between the ball and the defender the entire time. HUGE advantage to the bigs. There is no face-up game necessary, the bigs will not need to expose the ball to anyone at all in a one on one situation.

plowking
01-27-2015, 08:38 PM

You continue to try and propel yourself to the title of dumbest poster on here.

It is truly admirable.

SexSymbol
01-27-2015, 09:13 PM
You continue to try and propel yourself to the title of dumbest poster on here.

It is truly admirable.
On the contrary, you don't seem to get the concept of stripping the ball from the guy who's backing you down.
If there's those touch rules that exist in nba and EL it's pretty hard but still doable, now when you can hold his side with one hand and strip with another it'll only take two or three tries to steal it, especially from adept on-ball stealers and there are quite many in the nba. Now when you combine this skill with average to good three point shooting and driving ability, big man loses every time

iamgine
01-27-2015, 09:30 PM
:biggums:

Ok then the big just slap his hand hard since there's practically no foul. Also, elbow him while backing down. Also, drop his shoulders to defender's chest.

SexSymbol
01-28-2015, 12:11 AM
:biggums:

Ok then the big just slap his hand hard since there's practically no foul. Also, elbow him while backing down. Also, drop his shoulders to defender's chest.
Well now we're talking about a wrestling match, aren't we?

jzek
01-28-2015, 12:13 AM
Undisputable truth.

tgan3
01-28-2015, 12:19 AM
Exactly. Their giant bodies will be between the ball and the defender the entire time. HUGE advantage to the bigs. There is no face-up game necessary, the bigs will not need to expose the ball to anyone at all in a one on one situation.

Seriously, unless the big is insanely skilled. Most of the time the big will get stripped. 1 on 1 starts from the 3 point line not from the post. It doesn't matter that its 1 on 1 and their isn't any help defenders. The smaller guy can play pressure D.

How many bigs have you seen being able to create their own shot? Most of the time is a point guard setting them up for open looks/dunks. When they do play 1 on 1 most bigs will be looking lost thinking what to do, they pull up for a shaky shot miss it or do some bad dribbling then get stripped away.

OnFire
01-28-2015, 01:08 AM
Well now we're talking about a wrestling match, aren't we?

We're talking about Shaq in almost every NBA game that he played in healthy. Elbow, shoulder, dunk... you gonna hold his arm and magically he can't move his arm and slap the shit out your arm and knock you on your ass since his 7' 300lbs?

OnFire
01-28-2015, 01:09 AM
Seriously, unless the big is insanely skilled. Most of the time the big will get stripped. 1 on 1 starts from the 3 point line not from the post. It doesn't matter that its 1 on 1 and their isn't any help defenders. The smaller guy can play pressure D.

How many bigs have you seen being able to create their own shot? Most of the time is a point guard setting them up for open looks/dunks. When they do play 1 on 1 most bigs will be looking lost thinking what to do, they pull up for a shaky shot miss it or do some bad dribbling then get stripped away.

The post can start wherever you want it to in 1 v 1. There's nobody else to take the ball. Shaq checks ball up, and turns around. boom post, like magic.

*edit. Your first sentence... "Seriously UNLESS THE BIG IS INSANELY SKILLED"... uh.. Shaq?

ILLsmak
01-28-2015, 01:35 AM
Don't you shoot for the ball? Playing 2's and 1's?

Curry shoots for it, gets the ball first, and shoots 5 straight 3's.

If shaq gets the ball you just have to knock it away once.

I'm sure shaq would win most of the time, but I think some great shooters could beat him

Yea should be shaq will beat anyone more than half the time. I agree w that. I don't think someone could take it from shaq. Same reason why I think bron could prolly do mj.

2 big 2 strong.

-Smak

CavaliersFTW
01-28-2015, 02:07 AM

... you can post up from the 3 point line.

We're not talking about "most bigs", we're talking about Shaq. (And by saying most bigs don't create you mean most modern bigs that lack a post-game and only score off rebounds and backdoor plays). Shaq, and many past bigs, and a few current ones have the ability to create their own offense via post-up.

A post-up by very definition is an isolation one on one play. Just like a guard or forward creating space with a move, a post-up is a big man creating offense out of nothing but his own self.

And a big like Shaq, or Wilt, or Artis Gilmore that knows how to post up and has immense strength and immense athleticism and strength is going to destroy a guard in almost every one on one game. Because they CAN protect the ball, the entire time, they won't get stripped. They'll put their giant ass between themself and the defender the moment they touch the ball. They will not give two shits they are at the 3 point line, they'll post up that far out. Because no one is there on the weak side to strip the ball away from them from their post-up stance. Help defense strips big men of the ball. Not the guy behind them. The guy behind them is cannon fodder - especially on a mismatch (IE being too small), a wing player behind Shaq, or Wilt, or Gilmore, or Kareem in one on one gets massacred one on one every time.

Overdrive
01-28-2015, 03:25 AM
... you can post up from the 3 point line.

We're not talking about "most bigs", we're talking about Shaq. (And by saying most bigs don't create you mean most modern bigs that lack a post-game and only score off rebounds and backdoor plays). Shaq, and many past bigs, and a few current ones have the ability to create their own offense via post-up.

A post-up by very definition is an isolation one on one play. Just like a guard or forward creating space with a move, a post-up is a big man creating offense out of nothing but his own self.

And a big like Shaq, or Wilt, or Artis Gilmore that knows how to post up and has immense strength and immense athleticism and strength is going to destroy a guard in almost every one on one game. Because they CAN protect the ball, the entire time, they won't get stripped. They'll put their giant ass between themself and the defender the moment they touch the ball. They will not give two shits they are at the 3 point line, they'll post up that far out. Because no one is there on the weak side to strip the ball away from them from their post-up stance. Help defense strips big men of the ball. Not the guy behind them. The guy behind them is cannon fodder - especially on a mismatch (IE being too small), a wing player behind Shaq, or Wilt, or Gilmore, or Kareem in one on one gets massacred one on one every time.

Exactly, and what people don't get anytime they argue this. If the guy starts reaching for the ball he has to pick a side and the big will simply turn around in the opposit direction and if the doesn't work out guys like Shaq, Hakeem, etc have counter moves and can regain good post and/or scoring position.

JebronLames
01-28-2015, 03:31 AM
Exactly, and what people don't get anytime they argue this. If the guy starts reaching for the ball he has to pick a side and the big will simply turn around in the opposit direction and if the doesn't work out guys like Shaq, Hakeem, etc have counter moves and can regain good post and/or scoring position.
:applause:

ILLsmak
01-28-2015, 05:09 AM

That and most smalls would be wanting to cry after having to check Shaq for a few post ups. There's a reason teams got stiffs to throw at Shaq because dude is a bruiser.

Dude made a thread about these 'short' dudes wining, but from their names it sounds like they were guys who played post. Shaq is the ultimate post guy. The point is not that being 9 feet tall will allow you to win, it's that an all-time big beats an all-time small in 1 on 1 more often than not. How can someone dispute that?

And someone mentioned Barkley, he might be short, but he still plays big, that's what we mean. Still I think Shaq would also dispose of barkley.

-Smak

RoundMoundOfReb
01-28-2015, 05:19 AM
I agree with the premise that a big man would destroy a smaller man in a halfcourt game, but maybe Hakeem or Kareem would be best suited for this. IDK. Imo peak Shaq is the BOAT.

PHILA
01-28-2015, 06:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O3kE95tBZU

sejoon101
01-28-2015, 12:58 PM
Its nothing about stamina, handles, penetration, etc, none of that. I said Shaq, not about size or release point. Also, its not "just because its Shaq" Its about sheer strength. Idgaf what anybody says, 01 prime Laker Shaq @310 lbs will simply overpower anyone with his back against the rim, get to the post, and dunk it. Thats why I say if Shaq starts with the ball, he'll murk anyone 10-0. Ewing will murk Rose 10-0, Shaq will murk Jordan 10-0, so on and so forth. If there is an argument that Wilt is stronger than Shaq, fine, MAYBE Wilt is the God 1 on 1. But from my knowledge of following NBA like a religion, no one is more powerful and dangerous and dominant in the paint than Shaq, thus, he is the king of 1 on 1. Its 1 on1, an aesthetic game has absolutely nothing to do with it. Its boring I kno2, but thats simply how it will go. Back down to post and dunk, GG.

deja vu
01-28-2015, 01:26 PM
Hakeem would win some against Shaq. So would Kareem and Wilt.

Psileas
01-28-2015, 05:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk9WhHFhLus