PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever tried to graph Wilt Chamberlain's records?

CavaliersFTW
01-27-2015, 04:56 PM
As in:

How many records did Wilt break as a rookie (and by how much?)

Then in season 2

season 3

season 4

etc

Wilt hold's some 90 official records today and many more unofficial, but at the time he finished his career he actually had a lot more than that it's just that every season or so someone comes along and breaks "one" of Wilt's records. Wilt was actually breaking (shattering) multiple records every single season of his career. Anyone want to try and tackle the project of charting them all? We can make it in this thread, I'll edit the OP and put them in the OP. We can do it season by season starting with his rookie season to break it up into segments.

By the time we're done, we could even have another stat... number of records broke per season.

swagga
01-27-2015, 05:10 PM
i hear that some posters who grew up institutionalized graphed the number of women he got, to have a better chance to meet their mothers.

Psileas
01-27-2015, 05:36 PM
a) I think we should start from (or, at least, mention) this matter: Has anyone ever managed to record all of the meaningful Wilt Chamberlain's records? I mean, even official websites or Wikipedia definitely miss some. I'm obviously not talking about records of non-rounded numbers like "most 47-point games" or obscure arbitrary combinations "like: most career 31-12-5 games" I know, though, that most sites don't (or at least didn't, up to recently) site records like "most consecutive double-doubles", which means there's room for improvement.

b) After recording them, some could also try to graph them compared to the next best performances.

c) Just for fun, we could also add another list of "potential" records formed by unofficial blocked shots estimations.

24-Inch_Chrome
01-27-2015, 05:37 PM
i hear that some posters who grew up institutionalized graphed the number of women he got, to have a better chance to meet their mothers.

:roll:

Lebronxrings
01-27-2015, 06:24 PM
mcgee>wilt

HomieWeMajor
01-27-2015, 06:26 PM
One night I asked my son what he wanted me to read to him
He said "A fairy tale."
So I read to him a book of Wilt's 'achievements'.

Marchesk
01-27-2015, 07:38 PM
Can we graph them next to the records Lebron has broken?

NBAplayoffs2001
01-27-2015, 08:30 PM

What about the number of chokes they had in NBA final games :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

plowking
01-27-2015, 08:36 PM

It's hilarious that you and OP look at this as some sort of accomplishment.

Of course records are easier to break at the start of a trend, or when a game is relatively young to the public. Less players, less attempts, etc. Only obvious.

Then again, it must suck that only like 4 people really care about Wilt on here, and maybe a total of 8 around the world actually think he was the best of all time.

DatAsh
01-27-2015, 08:38 PM

Of course records are easier to break at the start of a trend, or when a game is relatively young to the public. Less players, less attempts, etc. Only obvious.

Then again, it must suck that only like 4 people really care about Wilt on here, and maybe a total of 8 around the world actually think he was the best of all time.

A good portion of the guys around my dad's age see him as the goat.

plowking
01-27-2015, 08:39 PM

They also believe Wilt fought a mountain lion and benched 550lbs. It doesn't matter what they think after that.

Psileas
01-27-2015, 09:06 PM

Correct. Naive ISHers think that they and members of other popular message boards represent a certain level of basketball expertise/basketball elite, just because they are a notch above the average completely casual fan, while the collective knowledge of most about history doesn't amount for shit. Thus, they distort reality even when it comes to objective matters, like, in our case, the number of people who believe Wilt is the GOAT.
95% of the most reliable sources when it comes to pre-80's NBA either doesn't post at all in boards or posts in obscure/specialized boards - therefore, "low level" boards, per ISH "logic".

Asukal
01-27-2015, 09:30 PM
Graph this: 30->22->18=2 :rolleyes:

CavaliersFTW
01-27-2015, 09:33 PM
Ahhh ISH. So many places to stay, so little rent to pay :lol

La Frescobaldi
01-27-2015, 10:42 PM
huh.
Let's see here. Do you mean only those records that he holds alone? He's tied with Jordan for something or other as a scoring leader.
For another thing, being #1 is THE record.... but 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th place all-time ought to count for something you would think. Sort of like Olympic Gold, Silver, Bronze........ right?

If you are going to go about methodically charting all of #13's records, you'll have to organize things:
Field Goal Percentage Records

Scoring Records

Assist Records

Rebounding Records

Consecutive, or Streak Records

You'd have to break each category into 3 each: game, season, and career.

Since he owns the first 3 places in the 'consecutive double double games' with streaks of 227... then 220 double doubles in a row..... then 133 in a row...... that makes 3 records, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place..... right?
And another one since he went entire seasons of double doubles, some of them 20 20+ double doubles... and what about his career stat line? Does that count as a record? The biggest career average double-double (which is so absurdly monstrous it makes even Jordan's 30ppg career look laughably tiny) 30ppg-24rpg ? Gadzooks the amount of domination that represents :lol

Does he also get a record for quadrupling his nearest competitor in the consecutive double double contest, Elvin Hayes with 55?:lol

we had a similar thread awhile back tho not as gigantic an undertaking.......
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=361021&page=1

9 triple doubles in a row is another prolly unbreakable record, as is .73% from the field for the season... or 227 double double games in a row

but what about 35 field goals in a row? That's just taking drastic action right into the face of the enemy because they knew what he was doing and couldn't even foul him to find their way out of that devastation

I mean wow Cavs you're talking about an undertaking like the Pyramids or something.
Get Pollack's books. Some of Chamberlain's records are in some yearbooks , and other records in others....... you'd have to get em all I guess

La Frescobaldi
01-27-2015, 10:47 PM
yes indeed. guys that saw him live know onions from leeks.

unlike many ish babies who still need a bottle and a rattle and their diapers changed

CavaliersFTW
01-27-2015, 10:47 PM
huh.
Let's see here. Do you mean only those records that he holds alone? He's tied with Jordan for something or other as a scoring leader.
For another thing, being #1 is THE record.... but 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th place all-time ought to count for something you would think. Sort of like Olympic Gold, Silver, Bronze........ right?

If you are going to go about methodically charting all of #13's records, you'll have to organize things:

Scoring Records

Assist Records

Rebounding Records

Since he owns the first 3 places in the 'consecutive double double games' with streaks of 227... then 220 double doubles in a row..... then 133 in a row...... that makes 3 records, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place..... right?
And another one since he went entire seasons of double doubles, some of them 20 20+ double doubles... and what about his career stat line? Does that count as a record? The biggest career average double-double (which is so absurdly monstrous it makes even Jordan's 30ppg career look laughably tiny) 30ppg-24rpg ? Gadzooks the amount of domination that represents :lol

Does he also get a record for quadrupling his nearest competitor in the consecutive double double contest, Elvin Hayes with 55?:lol

I mean wow Cavs you're talking about an undertaking like the Pyramids or something.
Get Pollack's books. Some of Chamberlain's records are in some yearbooks , and other records in others....... you'd have to get em all I guess
I mean what records did he set as he went. Whether or not he still holds them is irrelevant.

It's the records he set as he was playing. Listed per season.

For example as a rookie, scoring 37.x ppg was the then NBA record. We'd list that. Even though he broke and raised that record his 2nd and again 3rd seasons. Each time he breaks a record, whether it eventually got broken later by himself or someone else or not, we list it at the time it is made a record.

He broke records every season he played. It's a little vague just how many, if we can lay it out his dominance will be better understood.

SugarHill
01-27-2015, 10:49 PM
yes indeed. guys that saw him live know onions from leeks.

unlike many ish babies who still need a bottle and a rattle and their diapers changed

some wilt fans also need their diapers changed :coleman:

La Frescobaldi
01-27-2015, 10:52 PM
some wilt fans also need their diapers changed :coleman:
True. As young people study the guy, Chamberlain still gains new fans all the time even after he's been dead for a decade.

Dude is the Bach of Basketball.

The_Pharcyde
01-27-2015, 10:52 PM
huh.

Scoring Records

Assist Records

Rebounding Records

This post had to of taken a solid 25 minutes

avonbarksdale
01-27-2015, 10:54 PM
i'm sure a simple google search could have answered your question, no?

La Frescobaldi
01-27-2015, 10:57 PM
This post had to of taken a solid 25 minutes

maybe longer... I was eating, watching a game with the sound down, and listening to the news :cheers:

Psileas
01-28-2015, 12:39 AM

5 actually, including halves and quarters - let's not get to OT's!

DaRkJaWs
01-28-2015, 12:55 AM
Tho is a vast undertaking and if all of wilts official and unofficial records are collected I think it would show again the absurdity of chamberlain: his stats are so much bigger and better than anyone else's in the history of the game that they either have to be myths or reason provided to dismiss them. I'll do my part if someone wants to assign particular things to different people.

ILLsmak
01-28-2015, 12:57 AM

I dont think wilt is goat but I def care about him. He's a legend. He cannot be out of the top ten and probably not five.

C'mon when you were a kid and someone said his stats you know you were like watttt. Or were u like the skeptical african kid meme "weak era."

-Smak

CavaliersFTW
01-28-2015, 01:52 AM
Tho is a vast undertaking and if all of wilts official and unofficial records are collected I think it would show again the absurdity of chamberlain: his stats are so much bigger and better than anyone else's in the history of the game that they either have to be myths or reason provided to dismiss them. I'll do my part if someone wants to assign particular things to different people.
I say we should all see how difficult it is to do season one first, I mean we have to start from the beginning to know how many records he started breaking right out the gates.

Does anyone know of a better game log than what bball reference has (bball reference only shows points scored, it lacks rebounds assists etc)

julizaver
01-28-2015, 02:15 AM
Does anyone know of a better game log than what bball reference has (bball reference only shows points scored, it lacks rebounds assists etc)

http://www.nbastats.net/

AirFederer
01-28-2015, 02:42 AM
Was Bill Russell also obsessed with setting individual records?

Inb4 HOF teammates bla bla :facepalm

CavaliersFTW
01-28-2015, 03:05 AM
Was Bill Russell also obsessed with setting individual records?

Inb4 HOF teammates bla bla :facepalm
This is a thread specifically for Wilt's records, make or visit a different thread if you don't want to talk about them.

RoundMoundOfReb
01-28-2015, 03:06 AM
No because comparing somebody's stats when he played under 1) completely different rules 2) in a weak era to somebody who didn't play then is just stupid.

Iceman#44
01-28-2015, 08:54 PM
Great idea ! Cant wait for this! Would like to help

rhowen4
01-28-2015, 09:38 PM
The wankfest by the ISH over 60 club is hilarious. Still, I am rooting for you guys. I think you're going about it the right way.

cy@

SugarHill
01-28-2015, 09:42 PM
True. As young people study the guy, Chamberlain still gains new fans all the time even after he's been dead for a decade.

Dude is the Bach of Basketball.
I agree

my joke was about old people wearing diapers tho :bowdown:

La Frescobaldi
01-28-2015, 11:00 PM
I agree

my joke was about old people wearing diapers tho :bowdown:

yeah ......... i heard it man........... i was doin my best to ignore it :lol just cause my hairs gray y'all think you got rights an all to go to yappin like a pup just remember the big dawg barks loudest :roll:

OK now let's see here..............

OP I just did the Goog on Wilt Chamberlain Rookie Records and of course Wikipedia comes up so here's a kickoff. These are (assuming wikipedia tells no lies, natch) current records... that is to say, they have now stood for 55 years.

1959-60
* NBA Record - Most points per game by a rookie (37.6 in 1959-60)
* NBA Record - Most points by a rookie (2,707 in 1959-60)
* NBA Record - Most points by a rookie in a game (58 on January 25, 1960 and February 21, 1960)
* NBA Record - Fewest Games Played to Reach 20,000 Points (499, achieved in 1966) {......... i guess that's not a rookie record but it's pretty amazing and after all he started that record in Olympian fashion}
* NBA Playoff Record - Most points by a rookie in a game (53 vs. the Syracuse Nationals on March 14, 1960)
* Pulled down a rookie playoff record 35 rebounds in the same game.
Chamberlain also scored 50 as a rookie against the Boston Celtics on March 22, 1960.
* NBA Record - Most rebounds per game by a rookie in a season (27.0)
* NBA Record - Most rebounds by a rookie in a season (1,941)
* NBA Record - Most rebounds by a rookie in a game (45 on February 6, 1960)
Chamberlain, as a rookie, also grabbed 43 rebounds in one game, 42 in two others, and 40 in another.

With Wes Unseld one of two players to have won the Rookie of the Year and the MVP awards in the same year. In addition, he was voted NBA All-Star Game MVP 1960.
I expect there are more, but it's a start. Also.......... he must have this record right here: Most records set by a rookie.

I haven't even looked to see if he set more records..... like maybe rookie FG%? rookie FTA? etc.

La Frescobaldi
01-28-2015, 11:08 PM
i just goog'd nba rookie records and found this:

Most rebounds, game
45 - Wilt Chamberlain, Philadelphia vs. Syracuse, February 6, 1960
43 - Wilt Chamberlain, Philadelphia vs. New York, November 10, 1959
42 - Wilt Chamberlain, Philadelphia vs. Boston, January 15, 1960
42 - Wilt Chamberlain, Philadelphia vs. Detroit, at Bethlehem, Pa., January 25, 1960

and espn's list of greatest rookies of all time has this:
1. Wilt Chamberlain, Philadelphia Warriors, 1959-60
MVP. Rookie of the Year. First-team All-NBA. Everyone expected Chamberlain to be an impact player, but he exceeded expectations by far -- setting an NBA record with 2,707 points (37.6 ppg) and another NBA record with 1,941 rebounds. The Warriors, who went 32-40 the season before Chamberlain arrived, went 49-26 and reached the Eastern Division finals before bowing to the Celtics, 4 games to 2.

:lol talk about turning a franchise around

edit ~ and here's a site with a lot of nba records.......
http://www.rauzulusstreet.com/basketball/nbarecords/individualrecords.htm