PDA

View Full Version : Antetokounmpo, Lavine, Oladipo, and Mason Plumlee to compete in dunk contest

Heavincent
01-27-2015, 08:15 PM
My expectations are low, even though they are all crazy athletes. NBA will probably **** up the format again.

How come legit stars never enter anymore?

Edit: seems the NBA have returned to a more simple and practical format, thankfully. http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2015/01/27/something-new-about-sprite-slam-dunk-contest-contestants/

Lebronxrings
01-27-2015, 08:19 PM
lame

SexSymbol
01-27-2015, 08:20 PM
complete shit, don't bother to watch it.

navy
01-27-2015, 08:20 PM
All the good dunks have been done.

Genaro
01-27-2015, 08:25 PM
Wiggins?

no pun intended
01-27-2015, 08:26 PM
My expectations are low, even though they are all crazy athletes. NBA will probably **** up the format again.

How come legit stars never enter anymore?

Edit: seems the NBA have returned to a more simple and practical format, thankfully. http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2015/01/27/something-new-about-sprite-slam-dunk-contest-contestants/
Last year proved that not having legit stars (Paul George and John Wall) wasn't the problem. The format killed it. Besides if you look back at all the Dunk Contests in the past, stardom was never huge. Whoever complains about the lack of stars are blinded by the MJ and Nique nostalgia.

Rake2204
01-27-2015, 08:26 PM
* JUDGES

Ariza4three
01-27-2015, 08:29 PM
Why the **** are Giannis and Plumlee in it. Shitty dunkers SMH

RightTwoCensor
01-27-2015, 08:30 PM
LaVine is the only amazing athlete.... :facepalm

The Ante has KD athleticism and Oladipo has Lillard athleticism.

Magic 32
01-27-2015, 08:30 PM
lame

Not as lame as promising to do the slam dunk contest and then chicken out.

plowking
01-27-2015, 08:46 PM
I can almost guarantee Ante will do some sort of free throw line dunk, which will be topped by a free throw line dunk by Lavine.

I think Giannis will have some nice dunks that will surprise people. Same with Oladipo. Dude is a great athlete himself. I've seen him do a 360 between the legs, so he is no joke.

TylerOO
01-27-2015, 08:50 PM

This. What the **** else can they do? Everything has been done

Rake2204
01-27-2015, 08:56 PM
This. What the **** else can they do? Everything has been doneI think there's still a number of combinations and styles that have been untapped to this point. As an example, the between-the-legs dunk was first completed in 1984, but years of stylistic improvements and alterations awaited.

To be honest, when the contest was first cancelled in '98, a lot of people were pretty certain every dunk had already been done at that point too. Sometimes it just takes someone special to move things to the next level.

SugarHill
01-27-2015, 08:57 PM
This. What the **** else can they do? Everything has been done

Not even remotely true

there are a ton of next level dunks that guys who do trick dunks for a living make

and what's up with freethrow line dunks? That ship sailed a long time ago...way before James White did windmills from the freethrow line and two hands. Unless you're doing that, just stop. :coleman:

TylerOO
01-27-2015, 08:58 PM
Not even remotely true

there are a ton of next level dunks that guys who do trick dunks for a living make

Pretty much proved my point. So you are expecting them to pull off dunks ONLY guys who sit around and think of dunks to do, do.

HOoopCityJones
01-27-2015, 08:58 PM
Go home everyone. Lavine is gonna ace this shit thats why Wiggins isn't competing.

navy
01-27-2015, 08:59 PM
I think there's still a number of combinations and styles that have been untapped to this point. As an example, the between-the-legs dunk was first completed in 1984, but years of stylistic improvements and alterations awaited.

To be honest, when the contest was first cancelled in '98, a lot of people were pretty certain every dunk had already been done at that point too. Sometimes it just takes someone special to move things to the next level.

Well it's been pretty weak for a while now.

And im not going to lie, some of the old great dunk contest look pedestrians these days, despite them being hype when I first saw them.

SugarHill
01-27-2015, 08:59 PM
Go home everyone. Lavine is gonna ace this shit thats why Wiggins isn't competing.

I think Aaron Gordon could win it if he was in it. He destroyed the highschool contest with Wiggins.

qrich
01-27-2015, 09:07 PM
Why no DJ ):

Ariza4three
01-27-2015, 09:07 PM
I think Aaron Gordon could win it if he was in it. He destroyed the highschool contest with Wiggins.
Fresh off a foot injury so I'm cool with him not doing it. There's always next year.

Rake2204
01-27-2015, 09:12 PM
Well it's been pretty weak for a while now.

And im not going to lie, some of the old great dunk contest look pedestrians these days, despite them being hype when I first saw them.I actually thought 2011 was a pretty legit contest. Blake Griffin had the potential to be the next step (his original helicopter attempt was nuts, ditto his first side backboard try), but he had to settle for more standard dunks after numerous misses.

The good ones really are few and far between. Vince Carter was likely the first real, real deal next-level showing since the 80's. That's what makes his performance special. The fact that they become pedestrian with time means the dunk is continuing to evolve.

Also, there's something to be said for style and a good showing. The dunk contest isn't only about innovation. It's also about how dunkers get the job done. And to be honest, there's no quicker way to kill a performance than to attempt a dunk 14 times before putting it down. Vince Carter's contest was great for his innovation, but also the fact that he made every single one of his attempts, which yields maximum surprise and enjoyment (same for McGrady and Francis that year - except for Steve's miss from Cuttino).

BuffaloBill
01-27-2015, 09:17 PM
Why no DJ ):

Look, I'm a big fan of DJ Augustine, but the dunk contest is no place for him

Rake2204
01-27-2015, 09:19 PM
Look, I'm a big fan of DJ Augustine, but the dunk contest is no place for himPretty sure he was talking about

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/T1rZBxn3Zx8/hqdefault.jpg

Ariza4three
01-27-2015, 09:20 PM
Look, I'm a big fan of DJ Augustine, but the dunk contest is no place for him
ayy lmao

ILLsmak
01-27-2015, 09:21 PM

That's the wrong way to think about it. They do need to get rid of props tho. Two people can do the same dunk and it's different.

-Smak

HylianNightmare
01-27-2015, 09:55 PM
Hopefully dipo kills it