PDA

View Full Version : Myth: a 7 footer will win everyone in a 1 on 1 match.

tgan3
01-28-2015, 01:57 AM
I think the closest we can get to know if pure height is a total advantage is the Red Bull king of the rock contest where participants from all over the world compete to win this 1 on 1 tournament. Initially it was for players only in the US, but in 2013 it had qualifiers from over the world and had international players competing.

Fact: 1 on 1 play is very physical, relies on upper body strength alot
Fact: a lot of back to basket moves are used, but then again speed/shooting and handling are also part of the package to be an efficient 1 on 1 player.

Myth: a 7 foot player, or close to, can just back down everyone and win the whole tournament

Looking at the previous winners:

2010 Izeah "Clutch" Bowman Height: 6'3
2011 Hugh "Baby Shaq" Jones: 6'3
2012 Hugh "Baby Shaq" Jones: 6'3
2013 Tarron "The Beast" Williams: 6'7
2014 Kinvac Dinlar: 6'6

As you can see the best 1 on 1 players have prototypical NBA SG to SF height.

julizaver
01-28-2015, 02:09 AM
I think the closest we can get to know if pure height is a total advantage is the Red Bull king of the rock contest where participants from all over the world compete to win this 1 on 1 tournament. Initially it was for players only in the US, but in 2013 it had qualifiers from over the world and had international players competing.

Fact: 1 on 1 play is very physical, relies on upper body strength alot
Fact: a lot of back to basket moves are used, but then again speed/shooting and handling are also part of the package to be an efficient 1 on 1 player.

Myth: a 7 foot player, or close to, can just back down everyone and win the whole tournament

Looking at the previous winners:

2010 Izeah "Clutch" Bowman Height: 6'3
2011 Hugh "Baby Shaq" Jones: 6'3
2012 Hugh "Baby Shaq" Jones: 6'3
2013 Tarron "The Beast" Williams: 6'7
2014 Kinvac Dinlar: 6'6

As you can see the best 1 on 1 players have prototypical NBA SG to SF height.

Who were the 7 footers participating (if any) and do you believe above mentioned guys could beat Kareem one on one ?

tgan3
01-28-2015, 02:35 AM
Who were the 7 footers participating (if any) and do you believe above mentioned guys could beat Kareem one on one ?

I didn't look at all the players but there were some 6'9 to 6'11 players.
No, I don't think they can win Kareem 1 on 1. But I do think Jordan or Lebron can. Magic is another guy that I think would be a beast 1 on 1 but he doesn't really have that outside shot.

buddha
01-28-2015, 02:42 AM
if any of the tall guys participating had any amount of skills they'd be on an NBA bench. it's ridiculous how unskilled some of the NBA reserve big-men are.

Overdrive
01-28-2015, 03:28 AM
Most bigs in those tournies are low level stiffs, basically much much less skilled Tyson Chandlers who live of drives by slashers in 3on3 streetball tournaments. Since they score so much in that set up they believe they can win 1on1s.

RoundMoundOfReb
01-28-2015, 03:37 AM
This is because every good 7 footer is in the NBA. The 7 footers participating in these tourneys would be beyond bad.

inclinerator
01-28-2015, 03:50 AM
well baby shaq repeated, so i think the real shaq would win them all

iamgine
01-28-2015, 04:32 AM
The correct myth is, someone like David West should dominate people like Iverson most of the time, using the strategy of backing down all the time. Strength and weight matters, not just height. That strategy matters a lot, we don't know if any of the "bigs" in this tournament use that strategy or not.

Plus, this "king of the rock" tourney has a 15 second shot clock, alternating possessions and single game elimination, anyone who's hot can win so it really proves nothing.

julizaver
01-28-2015, 04:46 AM
I didn't look at all the players but there were some 6'9 to 6'11 players.
No, I don't think they can win Kareem 1 on 1. But I do think Jordan or Lebron can. Magic is another guy that I think would be a beast 1 on 1 but he doesn't really have that outside shot.

I like Jordan and Lebron - but I would put my money on Kareem, prime 24-26 year old Kareem vs Lebron vs Jordan would have better chanses because:
- he was extremely quick with good reflexes for 7-2 footer;
- he would effectively defend the post and forced both Lebron on Jordan on low percentage high arced fadeways;
- neither Jordan neither Lebron could guard/stop Kareem high percentage hook shots, not to mentioned that young Kareem was not only about hooks, he had the complete package - low post moves, mid range jump shots, but only the hooks will be more than enough to beat Lebron and Jordan.

Just look at this one on one game between Kareem and Dr. J https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3DWaKXaAYA

SpanishACB
01-28-2015, 05:51 AM
This is because every good 7 footer is in the NBA. The 7 footers participating in these tourneys would be beyond bad.

this

I would go as far as to say any mobile 7fter interested in basketball (or allowed to practice it) is already getting paid to do so

sundizz
01-28-2015, 11:49 AM
Additionally 6'3 to 6'7 in this tournament probably translates to like 6'9 to 7'1 in NBA standards.

These 6'3+ guys probably beasted on their smaller competition...and any competition bigger than them was probably very bad (as stated by others).

Just goes to show - a strong, quick, skilled big guy is the best one on one player. You simply (as a guard/forward) don't have the bulk or reach to stop Shaq from getting into the post for a layup or dunk every single play. With his wingspan and reach all he has to do is check the ball, turn his back and back down 3 dribble and turn and shoot. He can even miss on purpose and get the bound and stuff it back in.

KobesFinger
01-28-2015, 11:53 AM
Beat, not win.

Rake2204
01-28-2015, 11:59 AM
I assume this topic is an off-shoot of the other one I've seen floating around lately. I think it's relatively clear and obvious that simply being seven feet tall wouldn't be enough in itself to earn an automatic one-on-one victory.

Very small personal testimony to keep things brief: I sometimes play basketball with a 6'7'' 270-pound former pro ballplayer (non-NBA, and he's in his 40's). He has about 100 pounds on me and is a killer from 30 feet. He can also obviously back me down at will.

However, while I can't block his subsequent hook shot, I can often count on providing at least enough resistance to make him work for the correct release, which actually results in misses on a frequent basis, even within five feet (because he's old and slow now). The flip side: he is much too slow to stop me defensively, even with impressive size and reach, so it only takes a few misses on his side to quickly open up a gap there.

Depending on the format (particularly if it's make it, take it), a seven footer could find many situations where he'd be in trouble.

I've also played against a handful of 6'9'' to 7'0'' players in my day and while imposing to look at, I'm not sure I ever got the feel that they were all unbeatable one-on-one. In fact, as someone else mentioned already, a lot of times size may be one of the few things they have going for themselves on the basketball court.

Now, if it's a seven-footer with skill... that could present a problem, though I still don't think it'd be automatic, depending upon who they're playing.

sundizz
01-28-2015, 12:22 PM
I assume this topic is an off-shoot of the other one I've seen floating around lately. I think it's relatively clear and obvious that simply being seven feet tall wouldn't be enough in itself to earn an automatic one-on-one victory.

Very small personal testimony to keep things brief: I sometimes play basketball with a 6'7'' 270-pound former pro ballplayer (he's in his 40's though). He has about 100 pounds on me and is a killer from 30 feet. He can also obviously back me down at will.

However, while I can't block his subsequent hook shot, I can often count on providing at least enough resistance to make him work for the correct release, which actually results in misses on a frequent basis, even within five feet (because he's old and slow now). The flip side: he is much too slow to stop me defensively, even with impressive size and reach, so it only takes a few misses on his side to quickly open up a gap there.

Depending on the format (particularly if it's make it, take it), a seven footer could find many situations where he'd be in trouble.

I've also played against a handful of 6'9'' to 7'0'' players in my day and while imposing to look at, I'm not sure I ever got the feel that they were all unbeatable one-on-one. In fact, as someone else mentioned already, a lot of times size may be one of the few things they have going for themselves on the basketball court.

Now, if it's a seven-footer with skill... that could present a problem, though I still don't think it'd be automatic, depending upon who they're playing.

Post a vid of you hooping so.we.know.if.your words.hold weight or not. how big are you that you can not.get dominated by a huge mofo like that?

ralph_i_el
01-28-2015, 12:27 PM
It's all about the length-strength-quickness triangle

If you have a big mismatch in two of those categories you should win.

Spell&Grammar
01-28-2015, 12:28 PM
Beat, not win.

You "beat" me to it.

Spell&Grammar

Rake2204
01-28-2015, 12:50 PM
Post a vid of you hooping so.we.know.if.your words.hold weight or not. how big are you that you can not.get dominated by a huge mofo like that?I do not really have an agenda or a horse in this race here, and while I've posted footage of myself playing before, I'm not sure if I wish to do so with regularity.

I'm 6'3'' and as stated, he essentially takes me almost wherever he wants in the post, even though he's in his 40's. The best I can do is offer some resistance (making him work and use force to get the position he pleases) and then do my best to contest his shot or make him take it from a spot slightly different than what he desires.

If his hook shot is absolutely money that day, I have little answer. But I'm not sure that's ever happened. Even the good looks he gets aren't automatic if I'm able to contest (even if I have no chance of actually blocking).

I actually think I've been burnt more by his outside shot than his cumulative work inside, which is stupid on my part because there's no reason to not guard him tight on the perimeter, since he's not going anywhere. Just tend to forget from time to time that his range in unlimited.

I think fatigue is important in this matter as well. As rare as it is, I've sometimes been guarded by severely undersized defenders that I decided to just post up time and time again for what appears to be easy jump hooks. But I'll be honest, if I'm posting against a 5'10'' bowling ball of a dude with some solid core strength, I usually can get the shot I want inside, but if he's pushing and making me work, it honestly might be more tiring for me than attacking a defense from the perimeter.

I've experienced that while being the undersized defender as well. A lot of this changes if we're talking about NBA-level guys playing NBA-level guys, but amongst normal folk, cumulative fatigue is a big deal. Eventually, if getting easy baskets takes hard work, people begin settling.

Human Error
01-28-2015, 05:59 PM
well baby shaq repeated, so i think the real shaq would win them all
This.

Euroleague
01-28-2015, 06:19 PM

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.