PDA

View Full Version : Why do people like to discredit teams for playing well in the regular season?

atljonesbro
01-28-2015, 12:42 PM
Whenever you see a team playing really well in the regular season people always will say things like "regular season warriors" "will lose to *insert team playing mediocre ball here* in the playoffs, different game". Then they prop up teams playing mediocre ball (bulls, thunder, ect.) like they magically just start playing good ball in the playoffs. Is it because they want to seem edgy or seem like they are more intelligent acting like they "see something we don't"?

mattvNJ
01-28-2015, 12:48 PM
THey do this becuase generally in the playoffs, the vets, the guys who have been there every season tend to rise to the top. Obviously there are exceptions. I take it you are referring to your Hawks. They look great this year and I think the East is up for grabs for anyone. But statistics, playoff vets and experience play a HUGE factor into peoples rationale in regards to this assumption. Also this board is LOADED with trolls and idiots. Dont let them spoil your teams success this year.

atljonesbro
01-28-2015, 12:53 PM
THey do this becuase generally in the playoffs, the vets, the guys who have been there every season tend to rise to the top. Obviously there are exceptions. I take it you are referring to your Hawks. They look great this year and I think the East is up for grabs for anyone. But statistics, playoff vets and experience play a HUGE factor into peoples rationale in regards to this assumption. Also this board is LOADED with trolls and idiots. Dont let them spoil your teams success this year.
The Hawks players have been in the playoffs quite a bit and have experience. They have the 2nd longest streak in the league in terms of making the playoffs.

sportjames23
01-28-2015, 12:55 PM
Whenever you see a team playing really well in the regular season people always will say things like "regular season warriors" "will lose to *insert team playing mediocre ball here* in the playoffs, different game". Then they prop up teams playing mediocre ball (bulls, thunder, ect.) like they magically just start playing good ball in the playoffs. Is it because they want to seem edgy or seem like they are more intelligent acting like they "see something we don't"?

No, because ultimately, what you do in the regular season doesn't mean jack shit if you flame out in the playoffs.

Put it this way--the '96 Bulls had a saying among themselves as the playoffs started: "72-10--Don't mean a thing without the ring."

No one talks about the Patriots team that went undefeated in the regular season years ago. They couldn't get the job done when it mattered most (thank you, Eli--this Dolphins fan will be forever grateful to you) and no one talks about them.

atljonesbro
01-28-2015, 12:57 PM
No, because ultimately, what you do in the regular season doesn't mean jack shit if you flame out in the playoffs.

Put it this way--the '96 Bulls had a saying among themselves as the playoffs started: "72-10--Don't mean a thing without the ring."
That doesn't answer the question why they discredit them for winning. Winning in the regular season seems to have a negative connotation where as playing mediocre you will "ramp it up" in the playoffs

sportjames23
01-28-2015, 01:01 PM
That doesn't answer the question why they discredit them for winning. Winning in the regular season seems to have a negative connotation where as playing mediocre you will "ramp it up" in the playoffs

Because ATL hasn't done much in the playoffs in recent years. If, say, they'd been to the ECF the last year or so and it looked like they were finally gonna get over the hump this year, then I think more of us would give them props. But, since they haven't really done shit in the post season, most of us want to see them make a deep run in the playoffs first.

atljonesbro
01-28-2015, 01:02 PM
Because ATL hasn't done much in the playoffs in recent years. If, say, they'd been to the ECF the last year or so and it looked like they were finally gonna get over the hump this year, then I think more of us would give them props. But, since they haven't really done shit in the post season, most of us want to see them make a deep run in the playoffs first.
Well what had Chicago really done? Made the ECF once since MJ? I mean that's not all that impressive either yet they get a ton of hype.

LONGTIME
01-28-2015, 01:07 PM
OP sounds like a insecure Hawks fan.

24-Inch_Chrome
01-28-2015, 01:09 PM
Well what had Chicago really done? Made the ECF once since MJ? I mean that's not all that impressive either yet they get a ton of hype.

I don't follow the Hawks closely but I think that part of the lack of respect is their inability to make it into the ECF or even put up a competitive second round. In their last three appearances in the second round the records went 0-4, 0-4, 2-4. I'm not going to argue that Chicago's has been much better in recent years as far as playoff record but I think that may at least partially explain why so few people have faith in Atlanta.

The_Pharcyde
01-28-2015, 01:37 PM

Bro what are you talking about, I have seen people call the Bulls regular season warriors for the last 4 years now, they could get it trademarked they are called that so much

The Hawks havent contended since nique, so people are gonna lean the way of the vets... You are so bitter about your Hawks.. While all you do is clown other players, then whine when people don't respect your Hawks

atljonesbro
01-28-2015, 01:58 PM
Bro what are you talking about, I have seen people call the Bulls regular season warriors for the last 4 years now, they could get it trademarked they are called that so much

The Hawks havent contended since nique, so people are gonna lean the way of the vets... You are so bitter about your Hawks.. While all you do is clown other players, then whine when people don't respect your Hawks
Who are the "vets" really though? The Hawks have the longest playoff streak in the East and the top teams in the East haven't done anything in recent history.

hawksdogsbraves
01-28-2015, 02:09 PM

No one talks about the Patriots team that went undefeated in the regular season years ago. They couldn't get the job done when it mattered most (thank you, Eli--this Dolphins fan will be forever grateful to you) and no one talks about them.

Huh? People talk about that Patriots team that went 18-1 literally all the time.

Probably the single most famous/talked about team of the past decade.

beastee
OP sounds like a insecure Hawks fan.
:applause: /thread.

The_Pharcyde
Who are the "vets" really though? The Hawks have the longest playoff streak in the East and the top teams in the East haven't done anything in recent history.

Lbj is still in the east, the Bulls have had a deep playoff run before

All I'm saying is don't get overly confident, the game is really different in the playoffs

I was saying the same thing in 2010-11 when the Bulls were beating every elite team including the heat 3-0, everyone kept saying how the playoffs are a different animal, and I was saying the same things.
Just let the Hawks do the talking, but right now this is all just the regular season at the end of the day, and still the first half of it too

HOoopCityJones
01-28-2015, 02:11 PM
Because we all think Harden wont be the same once the Refs swallow the whistles post season.

atljonesbro
01-28-2015, 02:13 PM
:applause: /thread.
Im trying I have a real discussion here. Take the trolling elsewhere

Droid101
01-28-2015, 02:16 PM
In trying I have a real discussion here.
No you aren't. You're being a salty bitch about people making fun of the Hawks all the time. Stop it.

atljonesbro
01-28-2015, 02:20 PM
Lbj is still in the east, the Bulls have had a deep playoff run before

All I'm saying is don't get overly confident, the game is really different in the playoffs

I was saying the same thing in 2010-11 when the Bulls were beating every elite team including the heat 3-0, everyone kept saying how the playoffs are a different animal, and I was saying the same things.
Just let the Hawks do the talking, but right now this is all just the regular season at the end of the day, and still the first half of it too
No one is getting overly confident, I'm just trying to figure out why Hawks are often talked down upon for having a good regular season record. The Bulls haven't made it out the 2nd round in 4 years and were bounced in the first round twice and irving and love have never even made the playoffs.There are no real "vets". People get too caught up in the reputation of a team such as the Bulls due to success many years ago and will overrate them today.

atljonesbro
01-28-2015, 02:21 PM
No you aren't. You're being a salty bitch about people making fun of the Hawks all the time. Stop it.
Take the trolling elsewhere, thanks.

They Won
01-28-2015, 02:27 PM

:lol

So blunt, but also so true.

The_Pharcyde
01-28-2015, 02:34 PM
No one is getting overly confident, I'm just trying to figure out why Hawks are often talked down upon for having a good regular season record. The Bulls haven't made it out the 2nd round in 4 years and were bounced in the first round twice and irving and love have never even made the playoffs.There are no real "vets". People get too caught up in the reputation of a team such as the Bulls due to success many years ago and will overrate them today.

The Bulls have no precedent set since they have had to deal with so many unique issues so who really knows how they will come out in the playoffs, and I'm with you on the love and kyrie point, but I dont underrate james ability to carry them over the top.. They have the best player on the floor against any matchup.
But the Hawks are weird cause they don't have that guy who can create his shot when down 5 with 2 min to go, Teague can be argued but I'm not buying that stock yet, their parallels to the Spurs are fairly accurate but parker, ginobili and duncan were all legitamite Stars who could create in crunch time.
The Hawks are intriguing but no matter what they do they will have a ? At the end of the day until they prove they can carry this success into the playoffs

joe
01-28-2015, 02:36 PM
The playoffs are what people truly care about. It is like a test of a teams character, who is actually the greatest when everything is on the line?

It has been proven that being the best team in the regular season does not guarantee that you have what it takes to win the ring. So people bring that up when you have a team like the Hawks or the Warriors.

Rooster
01-28-2015, 02:57 PM
Playoff is just different . Sometimes it's all about the matchup not the regular season record. Teams can make adjustment during the course of the series and be more prepared. In regular season with all those travelling and little time to prepare especially when you back to back, it's hard to make in game adjustment and beat good teams.

Marchesk
01-28-2015, 02:59 PM

You just talked about them. They'll be forever remembered as the only team to win their first 18 games. The only one to go 16-0 in the regular season. That team isn't forgotten. It was an epic superbowl upset. Everyone remembers that Patriots team. We're not talking about the 14-2 Jags who ended up losing to the Titans three times in one season, the last being the AFC title game.

Dro
01-28-2015, 03:00 PM
The playoffs are what people truly care about. It is like a test of a teams character, who is actually the greatest when everything is on the line?

It has been proven that being the best team in the regular season does not guarantee that you have what it takes to win the ring. So people bring that up when you have a team like the Hawks or the Warriors.
Exactly, just like my Pacers for the past few years.....But at least we made the ECF and have made them many times since 1994. But still, nobody cared about the fact when we started off hot last year...I had to hear the same things that people are saying about the Hawks..But not as much though because the Pacers have had more success than the Hawks.

But you just have to deal with it and stop hyping up your team for the regular season. The reason the Hawks are getting so much backlash is because their fans are acting like they are a lock for the championship this year and it just doesn't work that way...I didn't do any of that stuff last year, I kept saying, we'll see what happens when we play Miami cause I knew that we would meet up with them and look what happened. Another loss to Miami....

SugarHill
01-28-2015, 03:01 PM
You just talked about them. They'll be forever remembered as the only team to win their first 18 games. The only one to go 16-0 in the regular season. That team isn't forgotten. It was an epic superbowl upset. Everyone remembers that Patriots team. We're not talking about the 14-2 Jags who ended up losing to the Titans three times in one season, the last being the AFC title game.

Exactly. They're more remembered than most superbowl champions :lol

inclinerator
05-27-2015, 01:09 AM
because