PDA

View Full Version : Jahill Okafor's defense

Ariza4three
01-29-2015, 01:06 AM
Is not really good. Anyone worried about that?

hawksdogsbraves
01-29-2015, 01:07 AM
Is not really good. Anyone worried about that?

You trying to throw a on a reverse Okafor jinx so that the Magic get the number 1 pick now?

Ariza4three
01-29-2015, 01:10 AM
You trying to throw a on a reverse Okafor jinx so that the Magic get the number 1 pick now?
Nope, just saying :confusedshrug:

Patrick Chewing
01-29-2015, 01:11 AM
His post moves are sweet, but I never see him block any shots or even contest.

Smook A.
01-29-2015, 01:12 AM
He's an Al Jefferson clone.

-Good post up player
-Good rebounder
-Bad defender

SwishSquared
01-29-2015, 01:14 AM

-Good post up player
-Good rebounder
-Bad defender
At least Okafor chooses to finish with more than 1 hand lol and is a more willing passer out of the post. I would worry about his relative lack of athleticism at the next level. He's a big body with great wingspan, so maybe he learns to play the angles.

SugarHill
01-29-2015, 01:17 AM
At least Okafor chooses to finish with more than 1 hand lol and is a more willing passer out of the post. I would worry about his relative lack of athleticism at the next level. He's a big body with great wingspan, so maybe he learns to play the angles.
He's clearly more athletic than Brook Lopez. He should be fine.

hawksdogsbraves
01-29-2015, 01:18 AM
He's not a great defender at this point, but the kid is 18 years old and clearly the best player in the nation.

Cut him some slack.

UK2K
01-29-2015, 01:19 AM
When commenting on Duke

hawksdogsbraves
01-29-2015, 01:21 AM
[QUOTE=UK2K]When commenting on Duke

UK2K
01-29-2015, 01:23 AM
"It

hawksdogsbraves
01-29-2015, 01:26 AM
[QUOTE=UK2K]"It

UK2K
01-29-2015, 01:29 AM
Was really hoping that WCS would fall to 12-14 so we could snag him with the Nets' pick, doesn't look likely at this point though.

To be fair though, AD might well have had 200 blocks and 100 steals in two years if he'd stuck around :confusedshrug:
His Ortg is 124 and his Drtg is 69 :lol

Yeah Davis and Cousins left after one year. But there have been a lot of good players from the 90's and early 2000's that stayed three or four years.

hawksdogsbraves
01-29-2015, 01:38 AM
His Ortg is 124 and his Drtg is 69 :lol

Yeah Davis and Cousins left after one year. But there have been a lot of good players from the 90's and early 2000's that stayed three or four years.

Oh for sure. WCS ain't Davis or Cousins though.

UK2K
01-29-2015, 02:07 AM
Oh for sure. WCS ain't Davis or Cousins though.
Per 40

Cousins
25.8 ppg, 16.8 rpg, 1.7 apg, 1.7 spg, 3.0 bpg

Davis
17.7 ppg, 13.0 rpg, 1.6 apg, 1.7 spg, 5.8 bpg

Cauley-Stein
14.8 ppg, 10.8 rpg, 1.3 apg, 2.7 spg, 3.0 bpg

No, he's not on their level, nor will he probably ever be, but I can definitely see him averaging 12, 9, 2.5 blocks and 1.8 steals. He'll be a great snag for someone needing an anchor down low.

IncarceratedBob
01-29-2015, 02:23 AM

-Good post up player
-Good rebounder
-Bad defender
So you read a scouting report online. Good job ******

Okafor clearly knows he's gonna be the #1 pick and has relaxed on the defensive end. It happens every single year in all sports. No need to get injured. He's gonna be a plus defender, easily and his offensive game will be elite+.

UK2K
01-29-2015, 10:26 AM

Okafor clearly knows he's gonna be the #1 pick and has relaxed on the defensive end. It happens every single year in all sports. No need to get injured. He's gonna be a plus defender, easily and his offensive game will be elite+.
No, I think his defense will always be average.

Which is good enough when youre elite on the offensive side.

Smook A.
01-29-2015, 10:38 AM

I never checked his scouting report. I just know that by watching him so the joke is on you, bitch :oldlol:

Xiao Yao You
01-29-2015, 12:06 PM
I'd be more worried if he's going to be able to stretch the floor next to Gobert if the Jazz get him.

UK2K
01-29-2015, 12:10 PM
I'd be more worried if he's going to be able to stretch the floor next to Gobert if the Jazz get him.
Do they need low post help?

Xiao Yao You
01-29-2015, 03:45 PM
Not exactly. Rudy is obviouly the centerpiece of the team so they need players that fit around him.

hawksdogsbraves
01-29-2015, 04:06 PM
Not exactly. Rudy is obviouly the centerpiece of the team so they need players that fit around him.

If they pass up on Okafor to build around Gobert then they deserve every minute of the 5 (more) years of misery that they'd have after that.

Xiao Yao You
01-29-2015, 04:11 PM
Right now Gobert is the best thing to happen to them since Stockton and Malone. The lottery could change that. That's why a team that should be fighting for a playoff spot is tanking again I guess.

UK2K
01-29-2015, 04:58 PM
If they pass up on Okafor to build around Gobert then they deserve every minute of the 5 (more) years of misery that they'd have after that.
If you don't need a center, trade down.

Big deal. Cavs should have done that with Bennett.

outbreak
01-29-2015, 05:09 PM

Cavs were rumoured to be trying to trade down that year but no one would bite. Still makes no sense to take Bennett.

Anyway I don't see Okafor ever being an elite defender but he doesn't need to be an elite defender to have a great career. The kid just oozes talent on the offensive end already and he has all the tools to at least be an average to good defender which is more than enough considering his other contributions. People who think he will be a liability or a bad defender once he gets going in the NBA are crazy.

GOBB
01-29-2015, 05:19 PM
He definitely has to work on his defense. Doesn't have that elite athleticism and is a below the rim player. Rim protector? Can he guard Centers who love to face up and shoot? Can he defend the pick n roll? Weak side defense?

If Okafor had WCS athletic and defensive ability? Holy shit. :bowdown:

Orlando fan talking about defense and his Center is Vucevic? Funny

Xiao Yao You
01-29-2015, 05:22 PM

Depends. If he's the next Duncan as I've read than you don't trade him. Jazz obviously have bigger needs but you don't pass on Duncan.

outbreak
01-29-2015, 05:26 PM
He definitely has to work on his defense. Doesn't have that elite athleticism and is a below the rim player. Rim protector? Can he guard Centers who love to face up and shoot? Can he defend the pick n roll? Weak side defense?

A poster who has to resort to bringing up another poster's teams current roster as if that has some impact on their ability to watch and analyse basketball is just covering for the fact that they have no insight of their own to add :facepalm Go back to watching your ESPN highlight reels and spouting whatever you read in ESPN articles as if you came up with it yourself.

Vucevic isn't terrible on defence anyway, he isn't a good defender either he is just average. The problem we have is that Channing Frye is a liability on defence which exposes Vucevic even more.

GOBB
01-29-2015, 05:39 PM
A poster who has to resort to bringing up another poster's teams current roster as if that has some impact on their ability to watch and analyse basketball is just covering for the fact that they have no insight of their own to add :facepalm Go back to watching your ESPN highlight reels and spouting whatever you read in ESPN articles as if you came up with it yourself.

What are you even saying here? I don't even read espn but I'll let you tell it. Only time I go on espn is to see whats games are scheduled.

And yes it is funny to see an 18 year old criticized for his defense from a known Orlando Magic homer who doesn't limit, bash Vucevic defense or lack thereof.

Vucevic isn't terrible on defence anyway, he isn't a good defender either he is just average.

Stating the obvious here. Relay that to Ariza4three instead of being so butt hurt when nothing I said was directed to you. Didnt even know you were a Magic fan. If only Vucevic was as defensive as you were. Oh boy, might have something even better on your hands Orlando.

smoovegittar
01-29-2015, 05:48 PM
Not really. He's still gonna have to adjust to the big league anyways. A lot of work ahead.

Jameer, your posts are improving steadily. :applause:

outbreak
01-29-2015, 05:49 PM
What are you even saying here? I don't even read espn but I'll let you tell it. Only time I go on espn is to see whats games are scheduled.

And yes it is funny to see an 18 year old criticized for his defense from a known Orlando Magic homer who doesn't limit, bash Vucevic defense or lack thereof.

Stating the obvious here. Relay that to Ariza4three instead of being so butt hurt when nothing I said was directed to you. Didnt even know you were a Magic fan. If only Vucevic was as defensive as you were. Oh boy, might have something even better on your hands Orlando.

Sorry you replied right after my post and I have a Payton avatar and you've made fun of Orlando to me before so I assumed you were talking to me when I was defending Okafor. Makes more sense if it were directed at jameer because knowing him his original post would have been agenda driven. One annoyance on ISH is that when you support a team that's not currently winning people try and use that as if you put that team together yourself and as such don't know about basketball which makes no sense. Your last joke about if vucevic was defensive as me actually made me laugh to be honest so well played.

GOBB
01-29-2015, 06:06 PM
Sorry you replied right after my post and I have a Payton avatar and you've made fun of Orlando to me before so I assumed you were talking to me when I was defending Okafor. Makes more sense if it were directed at jameer because knowing him his original post would have been agenda driven. One annoyance on ISH is that when you support a team that's not currently winning people try and use that as if you put that team together yourself and as such don't know about basketball which makes no sense. Your last joke about if vucevic was defensive as me actually made me laugh to be honest so well played.

I agree with the bold.

I honestly never knew that was Payton in avatar. For some odd reason I thought you were an OKC fan. Dont ask why. My eyes generally read the username and automatically attach team. But yeah nothing you said in your post above mine was wrong. It was on point. But I see why you replied because I did post right after you. Now that you broke down being a fan (wont forget anymore) it makes sense. My bad dude.

And Ariza4three = jameer? :facepalm I think I'll stop paying attention to his posts now. That explains a ton. I lost track of these alts poster have now.

Ariza4three
01-29-2015, 06:28 PM
I agree with the bold.

I honestly never knew that was Payton in avatar. For some odd reason I thought you were an OKC fan. Dont ask why. My eyes generally read the username and automatically attach team. But yeah nothing you said in your post above mine was wrong. It was on point. But I see why you replied because I did post right after you. Now that you broke down being a fan (wont forget anymore) it makes sense. My bad dude.

And Ariza4three = jameer? :facepalm I think I'll stop paying attention to his posts now. That explains a ton. I lost track of these alts poster have now.
What the **** are you even bitching about? "hurr hurr what's an orlando fan talking about defense when vuc is a bad defender?" what's the point of even bringing that up? I've called Vuc out for being a bad defender at times MANY times on this forum and on multiple others. Who I go for has literally nothing to do with Jahill Okafor's defense, so keep your ****ing mouth shut.

sammichoffate
01-29-2015, 06:35 PM
Was Tim Duncan similar when he came out of Wake Forest? He always had that sneaky athleticism but was never a freak of nature, would like someone to clarify for me. If that's the case, then Okafor has nothing to worry about as long as he keeps working hard imo.

Ariza4three
01-29-2015, 06:37 PM
Was Tim Duncan similar when he came out of Wake Forest? He always had that sneaky athleticism but was never a freak of nature, would like someone to clarify for me. If that's the case, then Okafor has nothing to worry about as long as he keeps working hard imo.
I'm pretty sure Duncan was never a bad defensive player.

UK2K
01-29-2015, 06:39 PM

He definitely doesn't play below the rim. He has had some monster dunks.

But its true his defense is suspect. Like I said earlier, that tends not to be a big deal when you are as good as he is on offense.

sammichoffate
01-29-2015, 06:42 PM
I'm pretty sure Duncan was never a bad defensive player.He had three extra years at college to work on that, so it's probably gonna end up being a process for Okafor if his defense is as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Being a "bad" athlete never means you can be a bad defender as long as you work hard at it.

GOBB
01-29-2015, 07:23 PM
He definitely doesn't play below the rim. He has had some monster dunks.

But its true his defense is suspect. Like I said earlier, that tends not to be a big deal when you are as good as he is on offense.

Should've said he typically plays below the rim, or not an above the rim player. I wouldn't label him a below the rim player outright.

If there was a way he could improve his explosiveness he would be a better defensive player. But I'll take Okafor next to Embiid. :pimp:

IGOTGAME
01-29-2015, 10:25 PM

no, not similar at all in that regard.

btw...I think Duncan comparisons should stop. He is two tiers below Duncan talent-wise at very best.

UK2K
01-29-2015, 10:31 PM

btw...I think Duncan comparisons should stop. He is two tiers below Duncan talent-wise at very best.
I see him as a Brook Lopez type player.

ralph_i_el
01-29-2015, 10:55 PM
Jahlil plays mostly below the rim....but that's because he's such a huge load.

In terms of mass, he's going to be one of the biggest NBA players his rookie year. His agility, footwork, and body control at that size tell me he's a great athlete, even if he's not going to jump out of the building or run the floor like a gazelle.

and yes, there are times where he finesses it around the rim where another big man would have just dunked. I'm ok with that. He has huge hands so he easily controls the ball and puts all kinds of nice spin on it.

When I watch him play I see shades of Tim Duncan (on offense), Al Jefferson, and Nene. He's not quite the athlete Nene is, but they both have strong upper and lower bodies, aren't leapers, and have GREAT balance.

Was Duncan this good as a freshman? I honestly have no idea.

IGOTGAME
01-29-2015, 11:46 PM
Jahlil plays mostly below the rim....but that's because he's such a huge load.

In terms of mass, he's going to be one of the biggest NBA players his rookie year. His agility, footwork, and body control at that size tell me he's a great athlete, even if he's not going to jump out of the building or run the floor like a gazelle.

and yes, there are times where he finesses it around the rim where another big man would have just dunked. I'm ok with that. He has huge hands so he easily controls the ball and puts all kinds of nice spin on it.

When I watch him play I see shades of Tim Duncan (on offense), Al Jefferson, and Nene. He's not quite the athlete Nene is, but they both have strong upper and lower bodies, aren't leapers, and have GREAT balance.

Was Duncan this good as a freshman? I honestly have no idea.

Its not even really relevant to the discussion because Okafor just doesn't have the physical tools that Tim Duncan has. He doesn't have the talent to improve like a Tim Duncan.

Tim Duncan had a lot more tools to work with on the basketball court than Okafor.

christian1923
01-29-2015, 11:56 PM
I see him as a Brook Lopez type player.
Have you seen Okafor run down the court?

He moves 3x better than Lopez.

Awful comparison.

He's C Webb. Yes he's a good passer.

And in regards to defense, I think it all depends on what team he's drafted too. Someone's has to coach him up on that end

ralph_i_el
01-30-2015, 12:04 AM
Its not even really relevant to the discussion because Okafor just doesn't have the physical tools that Tim Duncan has. He doesn't have the talent to improve like a Tim Duncan.

Tim Duncan had a lot more tools to work with on the basketball court than Okafor.
How about being less vague? Jahlil is a wider dude and has a 7'5" wingspan.