PDA

View Full Version : why does no broadcast ever question or review pivot/drag travelling calls?

Dr. Cheesesteak
01-31-2015, 12:21 AM
I know a couple years ago the NBA told the refs to make a stronger effort calling pivot/foot drag travelling. However, it seems some calls are still BS, forced. I've noticed ever since the past couple years, no broadcasts ever question the ref's travelling calls or even show replays of it.

Is this NBA mandate? "Don't question travelling calls or you will be fined/suspended as a broadcast"? It's horseshit, imo. Refs call pivot/foot drag travelling when they're clearly wrong and we are to just accept it? But refs don't call the 5-steps or up-n-down that we've seen become an epidemic this year?

I hope Silver changes this bullshit secret rule.

christian1923
01-31-2015, 12:23 AM
Cause most people at home don't care.

Why show a replay of a travel that can't be overturned when you can show the shot of a sweet alley oop.

Magic731
01-31-2015, 12:45 AM
Even if they do review and find it to be the wrong call, you still have to accept it.

Marchesk
01-31-2015, 12:46 AM
One has to wonder what the game will look like in 20 years if they keep on being lax on certain rules. The players will just keep on pushing the limits of what they can get away with, as players do. So then you have a progressively more liberal interpretation of travelling and palming over time.

There should be a happy medium too strict and blatant violations.

Dr. Cheesesteak
01-31-2015, 01:30 AM
Cause most people at home don't care.

Why show a replay of a travel that can't be overturned when you can show the shot of a sweet alley oop.

Even if they do review and find it to be the wrong call, you still have to accept it.
but broadcast crews question/criticize/replay all other calls frequently that we just "have to accept" - fouls, goaltending, etc. Everything seems fair game except pivot/drag travelling.

I swear Stern put out a memo that there'd be fines if a broadcast replayed a pivot/drag travelling, since he knows there'd be a buncha illegitimate quota calls.

edit:
god, Stern's egomania must've forced any articles about it online to be removed or cease from existence. I can't find anything about it. but I know that it was at the start of 2012-13 or 13-14 maybe (I dont think it was the 11-12 season), that the summer league shows and even early regular season national broadcasts said refs were told to enforce palming and travelling more.

christian1923
01-31-2015, 01:49 AM
but broadcast crews question/criticize/replay all other calls frequently that we just "have to accept" - fouls, goaltending, etc. Everything seems fair game except pivot/drag travelling.

I swear Stern put out a memo that there'd be fines if a broadcast replayed a pivot/drag travelling, since he knows there'd be a buncha illegitimate quota calls.

edit:
god, Stern's egomania must've forced any articles about it online to be removed or cease from existence. I can't find anything about it. but I know that it was at the start of 2012-13 or 13-14 maybe (I dont think it was the 11-12 season), that the summer league shows and even early regular season national broadcasts said refs were told to enforce palming and travelling more.
Cause those are more blatant calls, the fans start booing so the replay director is obligated to show that replay. They arnt interested in replaying a travel that nobody notices. Replay director probably doesnt even notice a travel themselves unless the announcer mentions it.

Dr. Cheesesteak
01-31-2015, 01:46 PM
Cause those are more blatant calls, the fans start booing so the replay director is obligated to show that replay. They arnt interested in replaying a travel that nobody notices. Replay director probably doesnt even notice a travel themselves unless the announcer mentions it.
None of that makes any sense. Fans and announcers don't notice turnovers?

swagga
01-31-2015, 06:51 PM
since this forum is 75% lebron fans you might want to explain what a travel is tbh.... so that the thread message can be understood.

and that shit with the pivot foot is too advanced imo... you should explain it is similar to making a 360 spin while standing, so fans can relate to something basketball related.

Sincerely, when was the last team a ref called a travel? Let's be honest, in a couple of years that shit will stop being called for the fluidity of the game, like the iverson double crossover.

2swift4u
01-31-2015, 07:37 PM
what travel call?

there's no such thing in the nba. :D