PDA

View Full Version : Why exactly is James Harden so much higher than LeBron in the MVP race?

RoundMoundOfReb
02-03-2015, 02:22 PM
I get why Curry is higher - 37-8, better player than Harden in a vacuum etc..

But why Harden?

Rockets: 33-15
Cavs with LeBron: 28-12
(without): 2-8

Plus, LeBron is flat out better than Harden as a player. I don't see it.

MVP Race:

1) Curry
2) LeBron
3) Harden
4) Davis

Im so nba'd out
02-03-2015, 02:22 PM
He is carrying a team full of rejects to the playoffs in the west by himself :bowdown:

Droid101
02-03-2015, 02:23 PM

Why does LeBron get rewarded for missing games?

What if Harden missed 10 games and the Rockets went 0-10 losing by 20 PPG?

Let's not use "missed games" as anything useful, k?

RoundMoundOfReb
02-03-2015, 02:26 PM

You seriously don't think that would help his case?

Rockets go 52-30 with Harden playing all 82

vs

Rockets go 52-30 with Harden playing 72 and the scenario you presented occurring.

Which is the more MVP deserving year?

StephHamann
02-03-2015, 02:27 PM
west>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>east

24-Inch_Chrome
02-03-2015, 02:27 PM
A 27.6/5.6/6.8 line is really pretty? I'm not a fan of Harden, 9 FTAs/game is ridiculous, especially considering how often he draws imaginary fouls.

If the Cavs start moving up the standings while the Rockets stagnate I'd expect the buzz to shift towards LeBron.

Droid101
02-03-2015, 02:29 PM

vs

Rockets go 52-30 with Harden playing 72 and the scenario you presented occurring.

Why do we reward a player who missed games? I'd rather give it to the guy who played about as well, but played all 82 games.

J Shuttlesworth
02-03-2015, 02:29 PM
Yeah honestly, Harden is doing more with less right now, and I'm a huge LBJ fan obviously. He's gotten some huge wins w/ Dwight injured too

RoundMoundOfReb
02-03-2015, 02:32 PM
Why do we reward a player who missed games? I'd rather give it to the guy who played about as well, but played all 82 games.

So you wouldn't vote for the 2nd scenario i presented over the first?

RoundMoundOfReb
02-03-2015, 02:33 PM
A 27.6/5.6/6.8 line is really pretty? I'm not a fan of Harden, 9 FTAs/game is ridiculous, especially considering how often he draws imaginary fouls.

If the Cavs start moving up the standings while the Rockets stagnate I'd expect the buzz to shift towards LeBron.

I'm obviously not saying what Harden is doing isn't impressive - I got him #3. But LeBron's line is probably even better than Harden's. It's just that we have skewed expectations of him.

imdaman99
02-03-2015, 02:34 PM
This.

True MVPs don't take in-season vacations. Bran has won MVPs before, not like he needs another.

UK2K
02-03-2015, 02:36 PM

Harden averages 8.9 FTA

Lebron averages 8.4

Get out of here with the free throw excuse:lol

UK2K
02-03-2015, 02:39 PM
Yeah honestly, Harden is doing more with less right now, and I'm a huge LBJ fan obviously. He's gotten some huge wins w/ Dwight injured too
I swear harden is better when Dwight is injured.

24-Inch_Chrome
02-03-2015, 02:42 PM
I'm obviously not saying what Harden is doing isn't impressive - I got him #3. But LeBron's line is probably even better than Harden's. It's just that we have skewed expectations of him.

Harden's line: 27.6/5.6/6.8 on .452/.384/.884

James's line: 26.2/5.5/7.4 on .490/.351/.731

Their lines are close but James's is lower than it should be as he spent a chunk of the season playing hurt. Personally I'd still take LeBron over Harden but so far this season their overall statistical performance has been very similar. One also has to consider that LeBron has to adjust to a new team in Cleveland while Harden is in his third season with Houston.

24-Inch_Chrome
02-03-2015, 02:43 PM
Harden averages 8.9 FTA

Lebron averages 8.4

Get out of here with the free throw excuse:lol

It wasn't intended as an excuse. I was just saying that I personally don't like him for it as too many of those fouls are imaginary.

Jlamb47
02-03-2015, 02:46 PM
Not only West >>>>>>> East but Harden played more games and won more games without Houstons 2nd best player. Lebron missed 10 and Harden having a better record in a harder conference with much less talent and without Howard. IMO Harden>Curry in MVP race

UK2K
02-03-2015, 02:53 PM
It wasn't intended as an excuse. I was just saying that I personally don't like him for it as too many of those fouls are imaginary.
If you watch a game, people complain about the amount of fouls he draws, but there's no denying he does get fouled a lot.

I'm not a big fan of him shooting 18 FTs but rarely do I see him get a foul call that's not actually a foul.

It is what it is I guess.

24-Inch_Chrome
02-03-2015, 02:58 PM
If you watch a game, people complain about the amount of fouls he draws, but there's no denying he does get fouled a lot.

I'm not a big fan of him shooting 18 FTs but rarely do I see him get a foul call that's not actually a foul.

It is what it is I guess.

I watch as much as I can, it's difficult when it isn't nationally televised.

I'll concede that he takes a lot of fouls but from what I've seen (which I'll admit is limited) there's also a healthy number of phantom fouls, too many for my tastes.

UK2K
02-03-2015, 03:05 PM
Harden's line: 27.6/5.6/6.8 on .452/.384/.884

James's line: 26.2/5.5/7.4 on .490/.351/.731

Their lines are close but James's is lower than it should be as he spent a chunk of the season playing hurt. Personally I'd still take LeBron over Harden but so far this season their overall statistical performance has been very similar. One also has to consider that LeBron has to adjust to a new team in Cleveland while Harden is in his third season with Houston.

And Houston had four new starters playing the first month of the season (Bev, Jones, Dwight all out, Ariza playing his first season).

The first month of the season was a rough one for Harden, but from Dec 1 til now:

Harden: 28.2, 6.9, 5.6, 2.1 on 48/42/88

Lebron: 27.0, 7.5, 5.3, 1.6 on 50/34/71

Fact is, if the season ended right now, Harden wins because his team has a better record, with worse players, in a much tougher conference.

24-Inch_Chrome
02-03-2015, 03:15 PM
And Houston had four new starters playing the first month of the season (Bev, Jones, Dwight all out, Ariza playing his first season).

The first month of the season was a rough one for Harden, but from Dec 1 til now:

Harden: 28.2, 6.9, 5.6, 2.1 on 48/42/88

Lebron: 27.0, 7.5, 5.3, 1.6 on 50/34/71

Fact is, if the season ended right now, Harden wins because his team has a better record, with worse players, in a much tougher conference.

It's true that Houston had to deal with injuries but I'm not sure if that equates to adapting to a new system, especially when it involves incorporating several star players.

Harden has absolutely been on a tear, particularly with his efficiency...but I don't know if comparing them from Dec 1 is fair if we're trying to cut out a shaky start. LeBron's performance since returning from injury has been closer to what everyone expected from him for the season, I'd be curious to see how his line since returning stacks up against Harden's from Dec 1?

You're right on that last point though, if LeBron wants to win the MVP this season there's still work to be done.

Practice?
02-03-2015, 03:17 PM

vs

Right, but that isn't how things work. Rockets going 52-30 with Harden playing all 82 is better than Rockets going 42-40 with Harden playing 72. LeBron sitting out is not valuable to the Cavs because it hurts them. If what he does hurts them, then it also hurts his MVP case.

G0ATbe
02-03-2015, 03:18 PM
He plays out west, on a less stacked team, while putting up better stats, with a much better team record...whats so hard to grasp?:lol

LeBald isn't even the 1st or 2nd best player on his own team and there's at least 3 players on his team with a better case for MVP.

UK2K
02-03-2015, 03:18 PM
It's true that Houston had to deal with injuries but I'm not sure if that equates to adapting to a new system, especially when it involves incorporating several star players.

Harden has absolutely been on a tear, particularly with his efficiency...but I don't know if comparing them from Dec 1 is fair if we're trying to cut out a shaky start. LeBron's performance since returning from injury has been closer to what everyone expected from him for the season, I'd be curious to see how his line since returning stacks up against Harden's from Dec 1?

You're right on that last point though, if LeBron wants to win the MVP this season there's still work to be done.
28.2, 6.9, 5.9, 2.1 on 49/30/71

Almost identical as post December Harden. Literally. Except FG%

24-Inch_Chrome
02-03-2015, 03:23 PM
28.2, 6.9, 5.9, 2.1 on 49/30/71

Almost identical as post December Harden. Literally. Except FG%

Fair point, thanks for the stats.

We'll just have to see how the rest of the season plays out.

KungFuJoe
02-03-2015, 03:26 PM
I'm no fan of Harden but fck Bran and his stacked teams. No way he deserves it over Harden even if Harden only plays on one side of the court. Rockets look awful when he's off the court. He bails them out of so many blown offensive plays McHale should be giving him half his paycheck.

RoundMoundOfReb
02-03-2015, 03:38 PM
I'm no fan of Harden but fck Bran and his stacked teams. No way he deserves it over Harden even if Harden only plays on one side of the court. Rockets look awful when he's off the court. He bails them out of so many blown offensive plays McHale should be giving him half his paycheck.
Lin sucks

coin24
02-03-2015, 04:02 PM
Because harden is the rockets number one option on offense.
Bran has kyrie aka batman as the number one option..

LeBald is more of a second tier pippen type

DMAVS41
02-03-2015, 05:22 PM

I think what Harden has done to date is more impressive. I agree that the gap is closing, but Harden has his team as the 3rd see in the West right now.

He's dealt with a team with injuries and he's also putting up:

27/7/6 61% TS and playing improved defense.

I mean...those numbers absolutely blow MVP Rose in 11 out of the Water. And it's not like Lebron is dominating or anything. Yea, he is for the last 12 games or so, but that's not enough.

I think it could get really interesting if the Cavs finish with the 2 seed and Harden/Curry fall off a bit.

UK2K
02-03-2015, 06:50 PM
I think what Harden has done to date is more impressive. I agree that the gap is closing, but Harden has his team as the 3rd see in the West right now.

He's dealt with a team with injuries and he's also putting up:

27/7/6 61% TS and playing improved defense.

I mean...those numbers absolutely blow MVP Rose in 11 out of the Water. And it's not like Lebron is dominating or anything. Yea, he is for the last 12 games or so, but that's not enough.

I think it could get really interesting if the Cavs finish with the 2 seed and Harden/Curry fall off a bit.

Even with Lebron 'dominating', his stats are still similar to the stats harden has put up over the last two months.

G-train
02-03-2015, 06:57 PM

But why Harden?

I'd say because MVP is awarded on the entire season, not on last 3 weeks.

JebronLames
02-03-2015, 06:57 PM
The league is still protecting MJ.

stephanieg
02-03-2015, 08:50 PM
Harden winning the MVP might be worse than Nash and AI, especially if he flames out in the playoffs again. I hope it happens.

KungFuJoe
02-04-2015, 12:09 AM
Harden winning the MVP might be worse than Nash and AI, especially if he flames out in the playoffs again. I hope it happens.

MVPs are regular season trophies. Playoffs don't count.

I don't even like Harden but he's been more valuable to a team winning in the West. Lebron seemed like he didn't even give a fck beginning of the season. Then he was out. Then he said he felt renewed. They are winning now but a lot of that has to do with Kyrie stepping up.

Harden has no one like Kyrie. Or Love. The team is arguably better without Dwight even.

RoundMoundOfReb
02-04-2015, 12:10 AM
MVPs are regular season trophies. Playoffs don't count.

I don't even like Harden but he's been more valuable to a team winning in the West. Lebron seemed like he didn't even give a fck beginning of the season. Then he was out. Then he said he felt renewed. They are winning now but a lot of that has to do with Kyrie stepping up.

Harden has no one like Kyrie. Or Love. The team is arguably better without Dwight even.

Do you think Lin has an MVP case?

CarlosBoozer
02-04-2015, 04:30 AM
Harden/Curry deserves it, though Curry's team is ten times more talented than the rockets.

ArbitraryWater
02-04-2015, 09:17 AM

Nobody is rewarded for "missing games", but we have 10 games without him on the court which illustrate his superior value... k?

UK2K
02-04-2015, 10:11 AM
Nobody is rewarded for "missing games", but we have 10 games without him on the court which illustrate his superior value... k?
Crazy you need to miss games to illustrate your value.

Harden hasn't missed many, if at all, and we know he's the whole team.

sportjames23
02-04-2015, 10:41 AM
He plays out west, on a less stacked team, while putting up better stats, with a much better team record...whats so hard to grasp?:lol

LeBald isn't even the 1st or 2nd best player on his own team and there's at least 3 players on his team with a better case for MVP.

:biggums:

sportjames23
02-04-2015, 10:49 AM
The league is still protecting MJ.

:coleman:

iamgine
02-04-2015, 10:53 AM
Missing games = you cannot contribute = you become less valuable.

Ray Allen for 82 games > Shaq for 20 games.

ArbitraryWater
02-04-2015, 10:58 AM

What an absurd hypthetical...

What about Ray Allen for 82 games vs Shaq for 72 games, and Shaq's team was 2-8 without him and on 57 win pace with him?

pauk
02-04-2015, 11:00 AM
Total team record.....

If MVP didnt have any importance at all to having the best team record then guys like Lebron and before him Shaq and before him Jordan and so on would have spamed MVP's every single season........ because they always were the best players on the floor, the most impactful players on the floor who really always made the MOST with whatever they had around them.....

24-Inch_Chrome
02-04-2015, 11:00 AM

What about Ray Allen for 82 games vs Shaq for 72 games, and Shaq's team was 2-8 without him and on 57 win pace with him?

Was just about to post this, 82 v 20 gets away from what is being discussed.

greymatter
02-04-2015, 12:57 PM
Because the Cavs, even with their recent winning streak, have had higher expectations while the Rockets have overachieved for the most part considering that Howard has been oft injured.

Twiens
02-04-2015, 01:46 PM
Better record with waaaay less talent. Simple.

Practice?
02-04-2015, 02:25 PM

So you can use a hypothetical to exaggerate your point but he can't exaggerate in his hypothetical?

If hypothetical can't be viewed unless it fits your criteria, might as well throw out hypotheticals completely and get back to James Harden for 82 games vs LeBron for 72? Both players are putting up similar stats, but Harden has been able to do it more consistently for his team because he hasn't sat.

chazzy
02-04-2015, 02:35 PM
So you can use a hypothetical to exaggerate your point but he can't exaggerate in his hypothetical?

If hypothetical can't be viewed unless it fits your criteria, might as well throw out hypotheticals completely and get back to James Harden for 82 games vs LeBron for 72? Both players are putting up similar stats, but Harden has been able to do it more consistently for his team because he hasn't sat.
Lol this. Missing games and having your team lose without you only acts as fuel for fanboys on messageboards. In reality, it's always more valuable to be able to play in more games than not. Not to mention a bunch of those losses happened during a tough stretch in their schedule, so there's no guarantee of how many more games they would've won with him.

ArbitraryWater
02-04-2015, 02:44 PM

I used the same hypothetical as he did, just adjusted properly to the ACTUAL amount of games LeBron missed.. :facepalm

Obviously, the correct one would be Harden/LeBron, genius.

Practice?
02-04-2015, 02:57 PM
I used the same hypothetical as he did, just adjusted properly to the ACTUAL amount of games LeBron missed.. :facepalm

Obviously, the correct one would be Harden/LeBron, genius.

Yeah, but you ignored his point and created a straw man argument. I was pointing out that if you are going to do such a thing, might as well throw out the hypothetical completely.

ArbitraryWater
02-04-2015, 03:01 PM
Yeah, but you ignored his point and created a straw man argument. I was pointing out that if you are going to do such a thing, might as well throw out the hypothetical completely.

Huh? He didn't have a point to begin with.. whats the point of comparing 82 games vs. 20? Is this the case here?

No shit the team loses one's contributions when you don't play, I won't fault LeBron for a back injury, instead we see his impact on a team...

Chadwin
02-04-2015, 03:43 PM
Better record with waaaay less talent. Simple.

Yep, thier next best offensive option is probably DM. Comparitively the Cavs and Warriors are stacked.

Leroy Jetson
02-04-2015, 04:12 PM

Unless those 20 games are in the playoffs.

greatest-ever
02-04-2015, 05:26 PM

But why Harden?

Plus, LeBron is flat out better than Harden as a player. I don't see it.

MVP Race:

1) Curry
2) LeBron
3) Harden
4) Davis
Harden is higher in the MVP race simply because he has so far led the Rockets to a higher record in the tougher conference and with less talent than Lebron. Plus Lebron has missed a chuck of games while Harden has played most of the games.

There is also no basis for saying Lebron is "flat out better" right now. Lebron this season 26 6 7 58 ts% 26 PER, Harden 27 6 7 61 ts% 27 PER, so Harden has a slight edge in stats, the better record and more games played.

Lets not forget Howard has been banged up all year.