PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on IPA's..

MJ(Mean John)
02-04-2015, 01:41 AM
Seriously sick and tired of people who drink IPA's that say other beers taste like shit.

Seriously, IPA's taste awful.
Seriously
They all taste like Christmas Tree or Pine Cone or grapefruit.

Just an awful taste.

My beer Rankings

1. Modelo
2. Corona (kobe drinks Corona ) BUT NEEDS A LIME
3. Pacifico
4. XX
5. Heineken
6. Shocktop
7. Blue Moon

J Shuttlesworth
02-04-2015, 02:28 AM
Seriously sick and tired of people who drink IPA's that say other beers taste like shit.

Seriously

Just an awful taste.

My beer Rankings

1. Modelo
3. Pacifico
4. XX
5. Heineken
6. Shocktop
7. Blue Moon
Looks like you've never tried any good micro craft brewery beer. No wonder you hate IPA

Joyner82reload
02-04-2015, 02:31 AM
Shit tier beer rankings. No surprise you don't like an IPA, dogfish 90 minute is one of my go to's. And LOL @ you ranking modelo and corona above pacifico. Can't even get the mexican beers right.

ai9
02-04-2015, 03:10 AM
Last time I tried Isopropyl alcohol, I ended up at the hospital getting my stomach pumped.

fiddy
02-04-2015, 03:17 AM
wtf list with shit tier list, if your top5 doesnt have a czech beer theres something wrong with it

KNOW1EDGE
02-04-2015, 03:35 AM
What a v@ghina of a list

MJ(Mean John)
02-04-2015, 04:01 AM
Well f.aggots where is your list?

Fu.cken The rock, Vin Diesel and Kobe drink Coronas

Nothing wrong with them

What do yall drink ?

MJ(Mean John)
02-04-2015, 04:02 AM
Honestly I would rather drink scotch of vodka instead of IPA's

Recommend me a good beer

That_Admiral
02-04-2015, 04:15 AM

Recommend me a good beer
Speights or Budweiser

oarabbus
02-04-2015, 04:59 AM
IPAs and ales are amazing

New Belgium Rampant IPA
Lagunitas IPA
Moose Drool Ale
Boont Amber Ale
Sierra Nevada
Eye of the Hawk
Red Tail Ale
Racer 5 IPA
Anchor Steam
Kona Big Wave

Some of the better ones I can name off the top of my head. Now that's some good shit.

Shit tier beer rankings. No surprise you don't like an IPA, dogfish 90 minute is one of my go to's. And LOL @ you ranking modelo and corona above pacifico. Can't even get the mexican beers right.

:applause: Dogfish is quality. And Pacifico >> Modelo and Corona for sure. The fact that OP is placing those beers on his top 10 list is embarassing

fiddy
02-04-2015, 05:12 AM

Recommend me a good beer
http://moreontap.com//core_beverage_image/1906/1396042877.jpg

DukeDelonte13
02-04-2015, 08:22 AM
IPA's are alright. They have their time and place.

And people mentioning euro beer have to understand that beer sold in europe versus the same brand of beer sold in the states is different. Europe is allowed to sell beer "still alive" so to speak, we can't get that here.

IMO the smaller the brewery, the more inconsistent and impure the beer is. There are plenty of fine independently owned local breweries, but there are also many that suck ass.

there is nothing wrong with big name brand beer.

GilZero
02-04-2015, 08:57 AM
Seeing beers such as Corona or Budweiser in people's top lists is just plain sad.
Its basically water.

Thorpesaurous
02-04-2015, 10:21 AM
I'm not the worlds biggest IPA guy myself. Like Duke says up there, they have their place. But the boom in small brewing popularity seemed to beget this movement of everyone trying to outhop each other. And it's mostly the fault of the consumer, because the hop is such a distinct flavor, it lets the general douchebag identify it, and act like a regular brewmaster. It's an issue.

There's a place right down the street from my work, Two Roads Brewery, that is ridiculously hoppy. The stuff is strong, and good in small batches. But they were doing a five 6 oz each flight, and that was enough before your mouth got that metal taste like you'd been sucking on dirty paperclips. They've since started doing a few other things, and there's more variety.

Oarabbus' list is a pretty good set of IPA's in my opinion. And I haven't tried all of them. But Anchor, Lagunitas, Rampant, Red Hook, are all one's that I prefer if I'm drinking IPA.

But I prefer a crisp pilsner like Fiddy's, or a nutty Brown Ale like.

fiddy
02-04-2015, 10:26 AM
Seeing beers such as Corona or Budweiser in people's top lists is just plain sad.
Its basically water.
Budweiser is water? :roll: :roll: I have no idea what they do import in the U.S. but budweiser is def not water.

KevinNYC
02-04-2015, 10:30 AM

Seriously

Just an awful taste.

My beer Rankings

1. Modelo
3. Pacifico
4. XX
5. Heineken
6. Shocktop
7. Blue Moon

We all have our own tastes, but I am supposed to take a beer list seriously that includes the note: kobe drinks Corona.
:biggums:

KevinNYC
02-04-2015, 10:32 AM
Holy shit it gets worse

Fu.cken The rock, Vin Diesel and Kobe drink Coronas

christian1923
02-04-2015, 10:34 AM
http://www.mumblesandrumbles.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Presidente-Beer.jpg

fiddy
02-04-2015, 10:39 AM
Another thing for hipsters/try hards/followers to get behind and congregate about. Just another "look how cool I am because I know overpriced beer names and use the term hops a lot."

Beer is beer.
:facepalm

Le Shaqtus
02-04-2015, 10:39 AM
Corona tastes like dog shit, and Shock Top is a shittier Blue moon, what a weak list :lol

Lagunitas
Cigar City Jai Lai
Dogfish 90 minute
Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
Terrapin Hopsecutioner
Rogue Dead Guy (Go to)
New Belgium 1554
Heineken for easy drinking
Sam Adams Rebel
Long Hammer Red Hook

Beer is beer.
Absolutely not.

KevinNYC
02-04-2015, 10:50 AM
Budweiser is water? :roll: :roll: I have no idea what they do import in the U.S. but budweiser is def not water.
Budweiser is a domestic American brand that is made by Anheuser-Busch, the biggest brewery in America. It's not the same as the Czech brand Budwies.

The number 1 beer in America is Bud Light and number 3 is Budweiser.
Anheuser-Busch merged the Belgian/Brazilian beverage giant, InBev to form
Anheuser-Busch InBev which has 25% of the global beer market. They own
Budweiser, Corona and Stella Artois among several other brands.

They are also the reason that America has been undergoing an explosion of small "craft" breweries. They are basically a reaction against Budweiser.
Adolphus Busch was the first American brewer to use pasteurization to keep beer fresh, the first to use mechanical refrigeration and refrigerated railroad cars which he introduced in 1876, and became the first to bottle beer extensively. By 1877, the company owned a fleet of forty refrigerated railroad cars to transport beer. ....
During the 1870s, Adolphus Busch toured Europe and studied the changes in brewing methods which were taking place at the time, particularly the success of pilsner beer, which included a locally popular example brewed in Budweis.In 1876, Busch introduced Budweiser, with the ambition of transcending regional tastes. The ability to transport bottles made Budweiser America's first national beer brand, and it was marketed as a "premium" beer.

To get the European version of Budweiser in the US, you pretty much have to live near a Czech neighborhood. And they call it Budvar or Czechvar. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budweiser_Budvar_Brewery)
The same product is also sold elsewhere under the names "Budvar" and "Czechvar" due to legal disagreements with Anheuser-Busch over the Budweiser brand. The American lager was originally brewed as an imitation of the famous Bohemian original, but over time has developed its own identity and attained remarkable commercial success. Anheuser-Busch has made offers to buy out the Czech brewing company in order to secure global rights to the name "Budweiser", but the Czech government has refused all such offers, regarding the Czech Budweiser name as a matter of national pride.

KevinNYC
02-04-2015, 11:00 AM
The Beer industry in the US used to be highly regulated. The story of the beer industry was after prohibition tons of breweries started up and then through competition and consolidation this was whittled down to less than 200 breweries. The President Carter deregulated homebrewing and in the 80's brewpubs were deregulated and pretty soon folks who knew how to make good beer were everywhere. There's like 30 times the number of breweries in the US than there used to be.

http://www.synthesis.cc/assets_c/2014/05/2014%20US%20Brewery%20Count%20w%20banner-thumb-500x421.png

http://www.brewersassociation.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/breweries.gif

fiddy
02-04-2015, 11:06 AM
They are also the reason that America has been undergoing an explosion of small "craft" breweries. They are basically a reaction against Budweiser.

To get the European version of Budweiser in the US, you pretty much have to live near a Czech neighborhood. And they call it Budvar or Czechvar. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budweiser_Budvar_Brewery)

Good call, thats what i meant Budweiser Budvar, which is great, havent drank the american one tho. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budweiser_Budvar_Brewery

KevinNYC
02-04-2015, 11:09 AM
My beer Rankings

1. Modelo
3. Pacifico
4. XX
5. Heineken
6. Shocktop
7. Blue Moon
Anheuser-Busch merged the Belgian/Brazilian beverage giant, InBev to form
Anheuser-Busch InBev which has 25% of the global beer market. They own
Budweiser, Corona and Stella Artois among several other brands.
So when you go to bar and see the selection, you are often buying from the same company. 4 of his favorite beers are from InBev

Heineken makes 4 and 5. The "Belgian" one is made by US giant Coors.

KevinNYC
02-04-2015, 11:16 AM
Here's a lecture on the US craft beer revolution from the owner of Brooklyn Brewery which started in 1988.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ped9SxRukHE&list=UUbmNph6atAoGfqLoCL_duAg

He makes good beer too.
http://lakesidewineandspirits.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Screen-shot-2011-04-28-at-11.37.06-AM.png

I recommend the Pennant Ale.

KevinNYC
02-04-2015, 11:19 AM
If you like Pale Ale, you owe it to yourself to seek this out. There's a new technology that puts a glass liner within a can and high quality beers are being made in Cans these days.

http://cdn.beerstore.com.au/sites/beerstore.com.au/files/imagecache/product_full/prod-img/oskar-blues-dale039s-pale-ale-beer-online-1374455376.jpg

fiddy
02-04-2015, 11:34 AM
If you like Pale Ale, you owe it to yourself to seek this out. There's a new technology that puts a glass liner within a can and high quality beers are being made in Cans these days.
[/IMG]
wtf, is it safe?

KevinNYC
02-04-2015, 11:39 AM
wtf, is it safe?I probably hisheard that. I probably heard it acts like glass. Actually, it's a polymer. (http://qz.com/283178/how-the-craft-beer-revolution-made-cans-cool-again/)

[QUOTE]Concerns about canned beer bearing a metallic taste, which once was a factor that made bottles more appealing, should be long gone now. Decades ago, when the cans were made of tin and lined with lead, that was a valid worry. [B]Today

hateraid
02-04-2015, 11:47 AM
As a beer snob who's frequented microbrews all over America and attends at least 3 beer festivals yearly for the last 10 years of my life, I still love Corona. It's a good go to on most occasions.
I find it amusing that it's now mainstream to bash mainstream beers that it actually makes mainstream beers look cooler than microbrews.
I also find that 80% microbrews are actually terrible. But people will still support them because they are not mainstream, regardless of not having a refined palate.

As for OP, I also am not a huge fan of IPA's. It's not a good winter beer. Microbrews also make it a contest of who can make the most hoppiest that they stray away from quality.

KevinNYC
02-04-2015, 11:53 AM
I still love Corona.
I like Corona too, especially in hot weather. I worked in a club when it first came to New York, it's a big deal, it was the high-end expensive beer in the place at the time.

JohnnySic
02-04-2015, 11:53 AM
Most mainstream beers lack flavor. Corona is ok on a hot day.

Imports >

KevinNYC
02-04-2015, 12:01 PM
bourbon,

Yeah, bourbon is not an accepted taste.

fiddy
02-04-2015, 12:07 PM
Someone explain the reasoning behind drink a beverage that is heavy and filling, low in alcohol content and tastes like butt (yes this is subjective,but the fact that 99 percent of people say beer is an acquired taste means it tastes like butt and they forced themselves to like it)

now bourbon, that's an acceptable reasonable thing to put in your mouth
future neg :mad:

KevinNYC
02-04-2015, 12:21 PM
Here's a lecture on the US craft beer revolution from the owner of Brooklyn Brewery which started in 1988.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ped9SxRukHE&list=UUbmNph6atAoGfqLoCL_duAg

http://beerpulse.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Brooklyn-Brewery-Logo.png

Now that I think about it Brooklyn Beer has pretty much led to the Brooklyn Nets. It was the first company that I know of to identify Brooklyn as a brand. In the lecture, he says that a lot of people including Brooklynites warned him against using the name. He says the credit goes to his designer, Milton Glaser who also did the I (heart) NY campaign. The founder used to be a journalist and he wanted to call it Brooklyn Eagle beer after the old Brooklyn Eagle newspaper (Walt Whitman's day job). Glaser talked him out of it

http://www.miltonglaser.com/thumbs/665x408/files/far/Brooklyn_VarietyTruck-5376.jpg

Glaser agreed to design the logo in exchange for an equity stake in the company.

Together, they came up with the "B" logo now used on the company's products.

"When he unveiled it, I was kind of underwhelmed because I was looking for the Brooklyn Bridge and the Brooklyn Dodgers," Hindy said. "I wanted something every Brooklyn guy would want to have tattooed on his arm. The more I looked at it, the more I grew confident in the brilliance of that logo and the way it expresses the history of Brooklyn. It was a fresh, but timeless image of Brooklyn."

ItsMillerTime
02-04-2015, 01:32 PM
Another thing for hipsters/try hards/followers to get behind and congregate about. Just another "look how cool I am because I know overpriced beer names and use the term hops a lot."

Beer is beer.

Couldn't be more wrong. A Bud Light is not the same thing as a 11% ABV Imperial Russian Stout.

It's not about looking cool or being a hipster, some people actually enjoy all the different kinds of beer and would rather indulge in a microbrew. Craft brewing isn't going away any time soon so you might as well adapt and try new beers.

On topic though, I really don't like IPAs either. Like others have mentioned in this thread, breweries are competing and trying to "out-hop" each other.. it's just not for me. Give me a stout, a porter, or a brown ale any day of the week over an IPA.

KevinNYC
02-04-2015, 04:14 PM
Craft brewing isn't going away any time soon so you might as well adapt and try new beers.

On topic though, I really don't like IPAs either. Like others have mentioned in this thread, breweries are competing and trying to "out-hop" each other.. it's just not for me. Give me a stout, a porter, or a brown ale any day of the week over an IPA.
I listened to that video I posted. he said that craft brewing is now 10% of the market and the giant brewers are getting into it either by buying small craft breweries outright or by introducing their own "craft' brands, like Shock Top (made by Budweiser) or Blue Moon (made by Coors.).

He said some people worry about that, but he didn't because if the big brewers introduce beers with flavor, customers who like that are not going back to flavorless beer that is most of the American market.

Nanners
02-04-2015, 04:33 PM
the budweiser superbowl commercial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siHU_9ec94c) making fun of craft beers was more than a little ironic considering inbev has been purchasing craft breweries left and right recently (including elysium who actually make a pumpkin peach ale).

anyway i am not exactly a huge fan of IPAs but I do like some of them, Ninkasi is great.

fiddy
02-04-2015, 04:36 PM
the budweiser superbowl commercial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siHU_9ec94c) making fun of craft beers was more than a little ironic considering they have been purchasing craft breweries left and right recently (including elysium who actually make a pumpkin peach ale).
Hypocrisy is U.S.' #1 virtue, are you really surprised?

Jailblazers7
02-04-2015, 04:39 PM
Really not a fan of beer that hangs its hat on tasting hoppy. I'd rather drink a normal lager like a Yuengling than force myself to drink some hoppy IPA with a cartoon on the label. If I want a nicer beer I'm more likely to go with a porter or a stout. But I still rarely drink it. I'd rather have a rye whiskey than a beer but that's just me.

Nanners
02-04-2015, 04:39 PM
Hypocrisy is U.S.' #1 virtue, are you really surprised?

am i suprised? not at all :oldlol:

GOBB
02-04-2015, 04:50 PM
Stella Artois is all I drink. I love that beer I havent given any others a chance.

Swaggin916
02-04-2015, 11:05 PM
It took me a little while to warm up to IPA's but now I love them. IPA's and Lagers are really all I like. Ale's are alright. Stouts and Porters I'm not really a fan of.

fsvr54
02-05-2015, 12:57 AM
It took me a little while to warm up to IPA's but now I love them. IPA's and Lagers are really all I like. Ale's are alright. Stouts and Porters I'm not really a fan of.

:biggums:

What do you think the "A" in IPA stands for?

clipps
02-05-2015, 02:00 AM

Seriously

Just an awful taste.

My beer Rankings

1. Modelo
3. Pacifico
4. XX
5. Heineken
6. Shocktop
7. Blue Moon

I felt the same way when I was 15. A standard IPA is very hoppy with high apv and ibu's(alcohol per volume and international bitterness unit). All the beer you have listed are low in apv and ibu's so they are gonna be a lot easier to drink and they don't get you drunk fast, which is where the word "session" comes from. If those are the beer that you prefer, then an IPA would definitely taste nasty. I was a hop head IPA drinker when I first moved to Colorado, which state is heavily known for its many micro brews. New micro brews still pop up faster than marijuana dispensaries.

If you want to try some good craft beers, you don't have to pick an IPA. There are plenty of great lagers/pilsners for you to try, and you probably might have a good palate for Belgium styles, and Saisons. White IPA's are also really good. There is a new white IPA from blue moon that's brewed on 10th and Blake in downtown Denver. It's actually a shitty kind of White IPA but it should be great for your taste in beer.

KevinNYC
02-26-2015, 11:24 AM
Budweiser is a domestic American brand that is made by Anheuser-Busch, the biggest brewery in America.
Budweiser is losing market share

Anheuser-Busch InBev plans to continue to expand the market share of regional and national craft brands like Shock Top and Goose Island in the United States this year, while also adding new flavors to other beer options and expand market share in the cider category....

Millennials are also changing how AB-InBev thinks about product development. A tequila-flavored beer called Oculto and a malt beverage cocktail known as MixxTail are both hitting the U.S. market early this year as a way to lure consumers that have favored more flavorful beers and spirits like whiskey and tequila. .....

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-26/anheuser-busch-tries-to-recast-budweiser-in-battle-against-craft
[QUOTE]Anheuser-Busch InBev NV is stepping up a campaign to revive its flagship Budweiser brand after poking fun at microbrew drinkers as mustachioed fans of pumpkin- and peach-flavored beer in a Super Bowl ad.
The Feb. 1 commercial, which called Bud a

triangleoffense
02-26-2015, 11:38 AM
local microbreweries FTW, and yea I OP's beer list is wtf