PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with Tony Parker?

Graviton
02-05-2015, 02:17 AM
Any Spurs fans know his deal? I saw league RPM numbers and noticed Parker is bottom 3 in the league in RPM. Found it kinda insane, I don't really pay attention to advanced stats but usually players in the bottom are total scrubs that add nothing to their team. Not a place I expect to find former all-stars.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2eziv6a.png

According to this he is a negative on both ends of the floor, and his backups actually have bigger impact, is it true? Has he been that bad for the Spurs? It's not even small sample size since he has played 34 games and 28MPG. I just find it hard to believe he has fallen off that hard.

navy
02-05-2015, 02:18 AM
1) He was never that good.
2) Hamstring. Age.
3) Advanced stats suck. He's certainly not THAT bad.

RightTwoCensor
02-05-2015, 02:19 AM
Rep me and I'll give you an answer.

BasedTom
02-05-2015, 02:22 AM
He was never that good.

Graviton
02-05-2015, 02:23 AM
2) Hamstring. Age.
3) Advanced stats suck. He's certainly not THAT bad.
1) Maybe
2) Doesn't explain that decline, he should at least be better than the D-League scrubs.
3) Idk, being that low while playing 28MPG is insane.

He is near Dion Waiters for christs sake.

Heavincent
02-05-2015, 02:23 AM
Patty Mills >

BigBoss
02-05-2015, 02:24 AM
He misses Eva Longoria

Artillery
02-05-2015, 03:35 AM

This. He's pretty much an overrated system player. All the talk about the Spurs being a big 3 was always way off-base. They were actually more of a big TWO comprised of Duncan and Ginobili. Parker's impact was more comparable to that of a role player(especiallu in '03 and '05). One of the worst playoff choke artists too. Inefficient chucker that couldn't run a proper offense if his life depended on it. Nash, Billups, Kidd were all superior to him in the 2000s. Guys like Paul, Westbrook, and Curry are better than him now.

bdreason
02-05-2015, 03:40 AM
Hammy injury all season. I have to imagine this entire team is both physically and emotionally worn out after the last two seasons (NBA Finals).

Shih508
02-05-2015, 03:41 AM
This. He's pretty much an overrated system player. All the talk about the Spurs being a big 3 was always way off-base. They were actually more of a big TWO comprised of Duncan and Ginobili. Parker's impact was more comparable to that of a role player(especiallu in '03 and '05). One of the worst playoff choke artists too. Inefficient chucker that couldn't run a proper offense if his life depended on it. Nash, Billups, Kidd were all superior to him in the 2000s. Guys like Paul, Westbrook, and Curry are better than him now.

Agreed. Also he got his last big contract of his professional career so he has no more motivation. He's no all time great like Duncan and Ginoboli who value playing a winning basketball more than anything.

Gotterdammerung
02-05-2015, 04:55 AM
He is no longer beating his guy off the dribble and nor is he finishing well in traffic like he used to.

Could be hamstrings or burnout, or a combination of both. Quick Little guys lose it much faster than big men.

T_L_P
02-05-2015, 05:49 AM

Bingo.

The people who act like Tony has been a perennial MVP candidate most of his career are nuts.

He's one of the biggest Playoff underperformers I've ever witnessed. Outside of 07, 09, 12 and the first three rounds of 13, he hasn't done anything that suggests he's even a 2nd string star when it matters. This is a guy who has played pretty terrible on three of his four title teams.

As for this season, it's age, injury and stupidity. The hamstring isn't making him a huge ball-stopper.

navy
02-05-2015, 05:50 AM
Bingo.

The people who act like Tony has been a perennial MVP candidate most of his career are nuts.

He's one of the biggest Playoff underperformers I've ever witnessed. Outside of 07, 09, 12 and the first three rounds of 13, he hasn't done anything that suggests he's even a 2nd string star when it matters. This is a guy who has played pretty terrible on three of his four title teams.

As for this season, it's age, injury and stupidity. The hamstring isn't making him a cancerous ball-stopper.
You straight up named 4 years. FMVP in one of them.

T_L_P
02-05-2015, 05:58 AM
You straight up named 4 years. FMVP in one of them.

Even still, it's not like any of them (outside of rds. 1-3 in 2013) were superstar runs.

Four elite years out thirteen is pretty terrible. And, like I said, he was flat-out bad in the 03, 05 and 14 Playoffs, three years we actually won it all.

And take the FMVP year. He still wasn't even close to being one of the two best Spurs.

houston
02-05-2015, 06:08 AM
tony been hurt

lolol @ system player talk

russwest0
02-05-2015, 06:21 AM
his raw stats look aight :confusedshrug:

ain't nobody going to convince me of shit using another meaningless advanced stats metric

RoundMoundOfReb
02-05-2015, 06:24 AM
his raw stats look aight :confusedshrug:

ain't nobody going to convince me of shit using another meaningless advanced stats metric

Real plus minus isn't like PER. It isn't arbitrary. It's basically plus minus adjusted for variables.

greatest-ever
02-05-2015, 08:47 AM
I agree with the "never was that good" sentiment being used here.

Parker gets pretty overrated by casual fans and the media, due to team success. He was pretty rarely a top 10 player in his career, id give him 2012, 2013 and possibly 09 but thats it. He was never on Cp3 or prime nash's level, and was never close to the level that Curry and Westbrook are at now.

AirFederer
02-05-2015, 09:24 AM
He is no longer beating his guy off the dribble and nor is he finishing well in traffic like he used to.

Could be hamstrings or burnout, or a combination of both. Quick Little guys lose it much faster than big men.

This. Once his speed is gone, he has very little going. Streaky shooter, and got no size for post up etc. How`s his passing doing?

Haymaker
02-05-2015, 09:27 AM
Saving his energy for the playoffs. These kids never learn. :no:

kurple
02-05-2015, 09:51 AM
the people saying he never was that good are either lying or just dont remember that far back (like one year)

The decline of Tony is why SAS are where they are in the standings and wont do the same damage in the playoffs

T_L_P
02-05-2015, 10:41 AM
the people saying he never was that good are either lying or just dont remember that far back (like one year)

The decline of Tony is why SAS are where they are in the standings and wont do the same damage in the playoffs

Ummm...I think it's because we had to play significant time without our best player (Kawhi).

Parker wasn't even a top five Spur last Playoffs and we still managed to win it all.

Also, there's a difference between a 'decline' and what Parker is doing. A declined Parker (2014 Playoffs) we can live with. A negative, ball-hogging Parker? Well, that's a different story.

greatest-ever
02-05-2015, 01:04 PM

Parker wasn't that good last year either, they won it all with him having a mediocre playoffs. He was irrelevant in both the 1st round and the Wcf, they didnt even need him in the 2nd half of game 6 against okc.

When people say Parker was never "that good" they simply mean he gets overrated, which he often does.

BuffaloBill
02-05-2015, 04:31 PM
Nothing's wrong. He's coasting :pimp:

https://artspirational.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/tony-parker-longoria.png

rmt
02-05-2015, 04:44 PM
It's even worse than what we're seeing on TV. His defense has been atrocious this year and the stats don't lie:

http://gothicginobili.com/?p=7573

There's no reason for this play. Diaw and Splitter haven't been great but at least they have the excuse that they played the whole summer. Parker has no such excuse. He rested the whole summer and he should be back from his injury by now. Hope he snaps out of it. Spurs need everyone on board to have any chance of repeating.

jzek
02-05-2015, 05:06 PM
Same as with any 30+ athlete -- old age and injuries.

necya
02-05-2015, 05:51 PM
He misses Eva Longoria

clearly no, he organises party at home with 100 girls and 10 guys lol