PDA

View Full Version : The Three Pillars That Make Us Human

Nowitness
02-05-2015, 05:29 AM
My theory in short; there are 3 aspects of our nature that make us human.

Individuality, Art and Language.

These three things (to me) are in a crisis.

Language:

This one is less of a problem, but still, the standardization of ebonics/slang, the general lack of awareness in the differences between certain basic properties of the English language... We are getting dumber and simplifying one of the most incredible parts of our unique capabilities.

Individuality:

You can blame this on religion but I will not. It just seems to me that most people nowadays look to follow trends. If I go on a night out 90% of the guys are either dudes with half grown beards who play in mediocre bands and want to work in the media or dudes obsessed with gym culture, worship the lad Bible and wear t-shirts from Topman that say 'Las Vegas' on them despite the fact that never have and never will go. John Lydon is a huge proponent of the idea of individuality. I mean sure, it's quite an egotistical idea, but still why likes things because other people like them? There seems to be a general fear of discovering new things. Rather than explore music history, we are satisfied listening to redundant pop music, watching bland and repetitive actions films and idolizing reality tv stars.

Art:

Tying into the last point. Nietzsche was a huge advocate of the importance of art. My favorite book is his Birth Of Tragedy in which he claims that Attic Tragedy (Classical Athenian) was the height of art and thus the height of culture (I kind of agree). Few artists remain today. Looking back at the 20th century I marvel at the amount of pioneers and risk takers there were. From the surrealists (Dali/Bunuel), Goddard, jazz/blues musicians (namely Zappa/Beefheart), hard rock, great novelists and philosophers. Very little of this remains today (examples I like include Paul Thomas Anderson/Death Grips).

Anyone agree/disagree? I really just think if we focused and tried to improve these three things, Western Culture could regain it's greatness like it did years ago. Doesn't mean we have to listen to classical music and engage in bureaucratic ideology - I'd even argue that valuing underground Hip-Hop above the mainstream trash would help.

navy
02-05-2015, 05:30 AM
Pass that shit bruh.

Marchesk
02-05-2015, 05:31 AM
Is this some sort of Bill Walton reference?

RoundMoundOfReb
02-05-2015, 05:31 AM
:roll: :roll:

Nowitness
02-05-2015, 05:33 AM

It is. Repped for figuring it out.

RoundMoundOfReb
02-05-2015, 05:34 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KkrccHEAqg

OP = Boris Diaw

Nowitness
02-05-2015, 05:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KkrccHEAqg

OP = Boris Diaw

A great compliment. Thank you good sir.

Rose'sACL
02-05-2015, 05:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCjKh5gP_Fo

unknowns8
02-05-2015, 05:49 AM

Rebounds

Assists

where do I collect my prize?

:hammerhead:

Nowitness
02-05-2015, 06:00 AM
To add to this there is one part of our humanity which sickens me. The bureaucracy. Self indulgent, pretentious 'intellectuals'. Thank God few survive like they did when these three things had standards.

Bobby13
02-05-2015, 06:05 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2fyT8-N1gU

Marchesk
02-05-2015, 06:06 AM

:roll: :roll: :roll:

305Baller
02-05-2015, 06:25 AM
Maybe these things are at a crisis for people that are idiots.

russwest0
02-05-2015, 06:29 AM

:roll:

Nowitness
02-05-2015, 06:30 AM
Maybe these things are at a crisis for people that are idiots.

You have Zo as your avatar son, you fall into the category. The phuckboys who try to be edgy by intentionally picking the unknown of our species add to the problem, not the solution.

305Baller
02-05-2015, 06:39 AM
You have Zo as your avatar son, you fall into the category. The phuckboys who try to be edgy by intentionally picking the unknown of our species add to the problem, not the solution.

No. Stupid people do stupid things. It's the way things work.
Get butthurt. Go save the world, Superman. I need to work.

buddha
02-05-2015, 06:47 AM
individuality? lmao

three things that makes us human are intelligence, emotion and memory.

RoundMoundOfReb
02-05-2015, 06:49 AM
Well animals have intelligence, emotion and memory as well. I'd say Empathy has to be one.

Nowitness
02-05-2015, 06:49 AM
individuality? lmao

three things that makes us human are intelligence, emotion and memory.

Animals have all of things, you must be retarded.

305Baller
02-05-2015, 06:51 AM
mods...

Nowitness
02-05-2015, 06:52 AM
mods...

Standing in the way of human progress. What a disgusting person you're.

305Baller
02-05-2015, 06:53 AM
Standing in the way of human progress. What a disgusting person you're.

ok, buddy. youre the only person shooting.

305Baller
02-05-2015, 06:55 AM
The irony is unbelievable. Im giving my individual expression and being condemned for it. Hypocrite.

T_L_P
02-05-2015, 06:55 AM
Opposable thumbs
Barber shops
Fiddy Cent

Animals have language, individuality and art (they even go to shows where they show off their beauty)

305Baller
02-05-2015, 06:56 AM
This is such a troll thread.

Richesly
02-05-2015, 06:58 AM
What makes us human is pretty simple.

The ability to laugh, speak, cry, advance thinking, suffer, love, and having faith in god.

No other animal have these traits.

The only other animal that can do some of these things are our brothers, the chimpanzee.

Graviton
Deer behavior makes me question animal intelligence. They just randomly suicide into cars too often. But then again maybe that's their idea of artistic expression. :confusedshrug:

RoundMoundOfReb
What makes us human is pretty simple.

The ability to laugh, speak, cry, advance thinking, suffer, love, and having faith in god.

No other animal have these traits.

The only other animal that can do some of these things are our brothers, the chimpanzee.
:roll:

buddha
02-05-2015, 07:12 AM
Animals have all of things, you must be retarded.

which is all we are or ever will be.

lmao

305Baller
02-05-2015, 07:16 AM

lmao

:D

Nowitness
02-05-2015, 07:25 AM

lmao

You must be a Christian, a prisoner of your own mind. Enjoy remaining a member of the working class friend. If Plato's ideal civilization, you would have no say.

Graviton
02-05-2015, 07:30 AM
You must be a Christian, a prisoner of your own mind. Enjoy remaining a member of the working class friend. If Plato's ideal civilization, you would have no say.
Too bad Plato is dead and already dust after being skull ****ed by worms.

Live in the NOW, not the past or future, because this moment right now is all that exists. By the time you receive this message you will already be reading the past, so stop ****ing doing it you god damn retard.

305Baller
02-05-2015, 07:31 AM
So, this is 6th grade philosophy class.

3ball
02-05-2015, 07:32 AM
Language:

the standardization of ebonics/slang....

We are getting dumber and simplifying one of the most incredible parts of our unique capabilities.

the standardization of ebonics (meaning, white people now do it) is disappointing.

however, i can totally see why white people copy ebonics so much - ebonics has a very clear way of depicting things - and ebonics does it in a very direct, concise way that is appealing and cooler.

it's just another way white folks took something that WAS black, and turned it white (making something "mainstream" = white people started doing it... this stuff is googleable).

this has been the consistent trend throughout history - look at rock n roll.... and the copying can even be seen in basketball - look at the euro-step, which originated as the Elgin-Step (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354072) - but it only developed any sort of name when white people started doing it... realtalk

and look at how the game is played - less of the wildly, individually unique creativity required to play 1-on-1, and more euro-style boring pick n roll, drive and kick, ball movement for boring open shots.. i think people will eventually realize what they're watching and get tired one boring 3-pointer after another.... plus all the boring type of predictable offense and offensive sets required to GET the 3-point look... ugh

Individuality and Art:

a great example of the loss of individual creativity and art can be seen by looking at today's NBA.

27% of shots are 3-pointers, which means there is that much less individual creativity in shots than there used to be.

compare george gervin's 33 point quarter to klay thompson's 37 point quarter, and you'll see dimensions more art and individuality in gervin's buckets.

but it's not just the 3-pointers themselves - the 3-point shots create spacing, which coupled with the NBA's rule changes designed to "open up the game", have made ball movement more effective at getting open shots than before.

it's not that the indivdual creativity required by 1-on-1 has been diminished in any way as a viable option, but ball movement has simply SURPASSED isolation play as a the best option due to the spacing and rule changes - so now only the very best wing players and big men are allowed to go 1-on-1 - for everyone else, it doesn't make mathematical sense anymore because their 1-on-1 efficiency can't match that of shots obtained via ball movement.

the improved ball movement induced by spacing and rule changes and the resulting higher proportion of open shots has commodotized player skills - the open shots amount to play-finishing, and accordingly, those are the skills being developed (play-finishing), as opposed to great 1-on-1 play and the wildly individually unique creativity associated with it.

Graviton
02-05-2015, 07:34 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdzg3ikt781r0e42eo3_500.gif

Nowitness
02-05-2015, 07:35 AM

Nope. This is a metaphysical interpretation of the human condition, not 6th grade ish like the meaning of life that religion has monopolized and objectified.

Graviton
02-05-2015, 07:36 AM
Another promising thread ruined by 3ball. This guy will relate anything to basketball, "current era" and ****ing rule changes.

:biggums:

buddha
02-05-2015, 07:36 AM

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.

305Baller
02-05-2015, 07:38 AM
You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.

Or you can punish the rim.

305Baller
02-05-2015, 07:50 AM
the standardization of ebonics (meaning, white people now do it) is disappointing.

however, i can totally see why white people copy ebonics so much - ebonics has a very clear way of depicting things - and ebonics does it in a very direct, concise way that is appealing and cooler.

it's just another way white folks took something that WAS black, and turned it white (making something "mainstream" = white people started doing it... this stuff is googleable).

this has been the consistent trend throughout history - look at rock n roll.... and the copying can even be seen in basketball - look at the euro-step, which originated as the Elgin-Step (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354072) - but it only developed any sort of name when white people started doing it... realtalk

and look at how the game is played - less of the wildly, individually unique creativity required to play 1-on-1, and more euro-style boring pick n roll, drive and kick, ball movement for boring open shots.. i think people will eventually realize what they're watching and get tired one boring 3-pointer after another.... plus all the boring type of predictable offense and offensive sets required to GET the 3-point look... ugh

a great example of the loss of individual creativity and art can be seen by looking at today's NBA.

27% of shots are 3-pointers, which means there is that much less individual creativity in shots than there used to be.

compare george gervin's 33 point quarter to klay thompson's 37 point quarter, and you'll see dimensions more art and individuality in gervin's buckets.

but it's not just the 3-pointers themselves - the 3-point shots create spacing, which coupled with the NBA's rule changes designed to "open up the game", have made ball movement more effective at getting open shots than before.

it's not that the indivdual creativity required by 1-on-1 has been diminished in any way as a viable option, but ball movement has simply SURPASSED isolation play as a the best option due to the spacing and rule changes - so now only the very best wing players and big men are allowed to go 1-on-1 - for everyone else, it doesn't make mathematical sense anymore because their 1-on-1 efficiency can't match that of shots obtained via ball movement.

the improved ball movement induced by spacing and rule changes and the resulting higher proportion of open shots has commodotized player skills - the open shots amount to play-finishing, and accordingly, those are the skills being developed (play-finishing), as opposed to great 1-on-1 play and the wildly individually unique creativity associated with it.

I think he is talking about something like this. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWFjksuNZO8#t=136) I was just reading this article and saw this. If this was my kid I would give him shock treatments. If that didnt work I would just lobotomize him.

Nowitness
02-05-2015, 08:19 AM
:facepalm

Language is the least of the 3 to worry about. Too blind to see this.

Art is humanity. Until we restore the work of Aeschylus and Sophocles and remove the strict rationality of Socrates we will continually decline and free fall.

3ball
02-05-2015, 08:26 AM
I think he is talking about something like this. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWFjksuNZO8#t=136) I was just reading this article and saw this. If this was my kid I would give him shock treatments. If that didnt work I would just lobotomize him.
it's not just this type of thing - it's EVERYWHERE - kids that go to fancy all-white prep schools...

corporate heads, lawyers, new anchors... people everywhere use ebonics.

i was in a meeting and one of the managing directors said some shit like "well, we should give them PROPS for increasing their gross margin..."

where did he hear that from? copying black people. it's not new. been going on for quite a very long time.

305Baller
02-05-2015, 08:29 AM
it's not just this type of thing - it's EVERYWHERE - kids that go to fancy all-white prep schools...

corporate heads, lawyers, new anchors... people everywhere use ebonics.

i was in a meeting and one of the managing directors said some shit like "well, we should give them PROPS for increasing their gross margin..."

where did he hear that from? copying black people. it's not new. been going on for quite a very long time.

If that bothers you wait until the kids in that video get into the workforce.

305Baller
02-05-2015, 08:32 AM
Another promising thread ruined by 3ball. This guy will relate anything to basketball, "current era" and ****ing rule changes.

:biggums:

This was never a promising thread.

3ball
02-05-2015, 08:33 AM
If that bothers you wait until the kids in that video get into the workforce.
oh, copying ebonics doesn't bother me.

i was just making an observation... like it actually.. i think incorporating ebonics into British English improves the language and ways of articulating things.

as for the loss of individuality and art... that's another story... :facepalm

Nowitness
02-05-2015, 08:36 AM

i was just making an observation... like it actually.. i think incorporating ebonics into British English improves the language and ways of articulating things.

Expand without talking about basketball and you may be able to enter my academy.

Dresta
02-05-2015, 08:52 AM
This whole thread is pure comedy :roll: .

No. Stupid people do stupid things. It's the way things work.
Get butthurt. Go save the world, Superman. I need to work.
That is the product of bad translation, and a misunderstanding of the concept: a better translation is 'overman', signifying the overcoming of human weaknesses (particularly those which are socially inculcated).

FYI!

305Baller
02-05-2015, 08:53 AM
This whole thread is pure comedy :roll: .

That is the product of bad translation, and a misunderstanding of the concept: a better translation is 'overman', signifying the overcoming of human weaknesses (particularly those which are socially inculcated).

FYI!

No. It's a pop culture reference. FYI

Dresta
02-05-2015, 08:54 AM

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Oh man, this is too much...

No. It's a pop culture reference. FYI
lies.

Nowitness
02-05-2015, 08:55 AM
Dresta has proven to be an asset and a upholder of culture.

It's a damn shame you're a economic Marxist and Fascistic pig.

305Baller
02-05-2015, 09:26 AM
lies.

:oldlol:

Dresta
02-05-2015, 10:46 AM
Dresta has proven to be an asset and a upholder of culture.

It's a damn shame you're a economic Marxist and Fascistic pig.
economic Marxist?

http://i.imgur.com/DOqLXrt.gif

Marx is the great historical irony. When you examine Marx and his writings, it is like peeling back the eternal onion of irony: there is always another layer to peel back and exasperate over, another opportunity to laugh at his simple-mindedness, his thoroughly child-like sentiments. Best of all is his purported love of irony, which he often bellows about, while concurrently failing to recognise that he himself would become the greatest irony mankind has yet produced.

Karl Marx: oh, how many contradictions can be squeezed into a single man!

edit: If 'The Birth of Tragedy' is your favourite book for real, then i suggest you read Narcissus and Goldmund by Hermann Hesse, as it is very much a fictional and artistic exploration of the Apollonian/Dionysian dichotomy.

Nowitness
02-05-2015, 11:39 AM
economic Marxist?

Marx is the great historical irony. When you examine Marx and his writings, it is like peeling back the eternal onion of irony: there is always another layer to peel back and exasperate over, another opportunity to laugh at his simple-mindedness, his thoroughly child-like sentiments. Best of all is his purported love of irony, which he often bellows about, while concurrently failing to recognise that he himself would become the greatest irony mankind has yet produced.

Karl Marx: oh, how many contradictions can be squeezed into a single man!

edit: If 'The Birth of Tragedy' is your favourite book for real, then i suggest you read Narcissus and Goldmund by Hermann Hesse, as it is very much a fictional and artistic exploration of the Apollonian/Dionysian dichotomy.

I was kidding. Just saying that because I largely side with his view of history. Glad you ethered him.

But I will check it out man. I have been recommended it before.

Practice?
02-05-2015, 01:20 PM
:applause:

Practice?
02-05-2015, 01:21 PM

This gif gets me every time.