PDA

View Full Version : Tony Allen says James Harden is the only scorer he hasn't figured out

Cocaine80s
02-05-2015, 11:26 PM
"With a player like Kevin Durant—and anybody 6'7" and up because I'm 6'4"—the best thing to do is sit on the front of his leg because he's going to try to post me and then rely on Marc Gasol, the 2013 Defensive Player of the Year, to come over and help. I know if KD catches it straight up, he's going to score, get an assist or get fouled. And KD has gotten more aggressive in his career, so I've got to make it difficult for him to catch it, especially because he's been trying to get me with that one-legged fadeaway. [...]

When I'm facing up a guy, like Kobe Bryant, I don't watch his feet; I try to give him one way to go. Through my film study, I know which way to force him based on his moves in the previous game. In one play earlier this season, I forced Kobe left to the middle, which we're not supposed to do; that's our team principle. But in the previous game when Kobe played the Clippers, he took Matt Barnes baseline and reversed dunked. So I said to myself, You're not going to Matt Barnes me, and I forced him left and into a turnover (below). [...]

But one guy I haven't figured all the way out yet is James Harden. He's pretty crafty. I'm not impressed with his ball-handling, but his finishing skills are scary. Even though he's lefty, if he goes right he's going to put the ball out and get the foul. It's kind of tough because you don't want to get a foul called. And once you get your first or second foul, you kind of ease up. [...]"

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/tony-allen-says-james-harden-is-the-only-scorer-he-hasn-t-figured-out-015716521.html

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Graviton
02-05-2015, 11:29 PM
He just needs to wait for the playoffs.

Cocaine80s
02-05-2015, 11:30 PM
inb4 everyone ends up quoting this

SugarHill
02-05-2015, 11:31 PM
He's dissing him and blatantly

BigBoss
02-05-2015, 11:31 PM
James Harden will fade into oblivion within 5 years.

Lebronxrings
02-05-2015, 11:32 PM
what about lebron? Im guessing he hasn't figured him out either.

Rose'sACL
02-05-2015, 11:36 PM
he rarely guards lebron these days. lebron is too big for him now.kd can't back down people with his frame.

InsanityKills
02-05-2015, 11:37 PM
James Goden!!! MVP!! best the world!:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Lebronxrings
02-05-2015, 11:37 PM
he rarely guards lebron these days. lebron is too big for him now.kd can't back down people with his frame.
thats true. No one can really guard lebron 1v1...

buddha
02-05-2015, 11:39 PM

lol this

navy
02-05-2015, 11:40 PM
This. I dont think it was a compliment. :oldlol:

Milbuck
02-05-2015, 11:40 PM
All this really says is that with guys like KD and Kobe (and Lebron and Melo too), you have to prepare and come up with actual strategies to guard them. With Harden, strategy goes out the window because the refs just will not let you guard him properly...until the playoffs. And we all know what happens there with Harden.

It speaks more to Harden's bullshit style of play than anything.

Im so nba'd out
02-05-2015, 11:41 PM
But but but Klay Thompson is the best scorer in the league why didn't he talk about him in the article

TheMarkMadsen
02-05-2015, 11:49 PM

exactly this, bascially says he can't dribble and is hard to defend because he gets every call

:lol :lol

SugarHill
02-05-2015, 11:53 PM
exactly this, bascially says he can't dribble and is hard to defend because he gets every call

The dribbling thing is rich coming from Tony Allen tho. I don't think a SG in the league has handles like Harden right now, tbh. Crawford? That's it.

RoseCity07
02-05-2015, 11:54 PM
I really think Harden is gonna get hurt the way he plays. Statistically charging into players is going to go wrong. It only has to happen once. He almost got hurt in Detroit. Look how Wade looks right now and he didn't charge into players nearly as much.

Cocaine80s
02-05-2015, 11:57 PM
I really think Harden is gonna get hurt the way he plays. Statistically charging into players is going to go wrong. It only has to happen once. He almost got hurt in Detroit. Look how Wade looks right now and he didn't charge into players nearly as much.
Isn't wade ****ed up because he removed his meniscus?

Im so nba'd out
02-05-2015, 11:58 PM
THIS!

+ D wade is still a all-star so wtf are you talking about:facepalm

RoseCity07
02-06-2015, 12:00 AM

Yeah but his knees have been getting worse over the years. He should be breaking down this early. I don't think they removed the whole thing.

JebronLames
02-06-2015, 12:19 AM
Harden hasnt been getting calls this year.

SamuraiSWISH
02-06-2015, 12:50 AM
The dribbling thing is rich coming from Tony Allen tho. I don't think a SG in the league has handles like Harden right now, tbh. Crawford? That's it.
You're probably right.

Well, Kobe when he was still playing is in that elite SG group with handle. Joe Johnson, and Wade as well. Harden definitely has it though. He can play PG quite well with this ability.

He's very much unguardable in the regular season. Teams let guy's shoot 3's, and the refs blow the whistle on every touch going to the rim. In the playoffs when whistles are swallowed, ever possession counts, and defenses lock in ... as well as guard even the long ball. Harden's production falls off a cliff.

UK2K
02-06-2015, 01:38 AM
All this really says is that with guys like KD and Kobe (and Lebron and Melo too), you have to prepare and come up with actual strategies to guard them. With Harden, strategy goes out the window because the refs just will not let you guard him properly...until the playoffs. And we all know what happens there with Harden.

You could not foul, thats a pretty sound strategy.

The Iron Sheik
02-06-2015, 01:41 AM

this

harden plays like a bearded corey maggette that shoots 3's

disel
02-06-2015, 01:57 AM
this

harden plays like a bearded corey maggette that shoots 3's
Because corey had hardens playmaking skills and passing prowess. Dem idiots keep bringing up the so called fouls but refuse to mention harden is a 7 assists a game player with elite playmaking skills and finishes shots with ease and duress.

Corey did not have 1/10th of hardens skillset. milbuck is a sore ass lin stan who hates harden.

UK2K
02-06-2015, 02:18 AM
Because corey had hardens playmaking skills and passing prowess. Dem idiots keep bringing up the so called fouls but refuse to mention harden is a 7 assists a game player with elite playmaking skills and finishes shots with ease and duress.

Corey did not have 1/10th of hardens skillset. milbuck is a sore ass lin stan who hates harden.
And we can keep bringing up fouls, but theres no denying he gets fouled, a lot.

Its crazy, its like they blame Harden for defenders not being able to defend him without fouling.

Shame on him.

sportjames23
02-06-2015, 02:19 AM

Forgot about the Finals, huh? :oldlol:

warriorfan
02-06-2015, 03:15 AM
he's calling harden whack and he's right

Milbuck
02-06-2015, 03:21 AM
You could not foul, thats a pretty sound strategy.
In reality, they don't. But the whistle is warped when it comes to Harden.

ABfor3
02-06-2015, 05:04 AM
You can say that about all the elite players in the league... Harden is just crafty and knows how to get to the line

RoundMoundOfReb
02-06-2015, 05:07 AM

Thing about Wade is that he would always fall down to the floor, which took a huge toll. Don't see that with Harden.

R.I.P.
02-06-2015, 05:21 AM
Nothing to figure out. He runs at you full speed, stretches out the ball in front of his body, shoves it into your belly or chest, starts flailing his arms and the refs give him two FTs. Actually making an attempt to score the basket is unnecessary. Wade found that out almost ten years ago.

UK2K
02-06-2015, 05:30 AM
Come on now, be honest with yourself.

He initiates contact, no doubt about it, but 9 times out of 10 the defender is in a bad position and its a foul, whether you agree with the strategy or not, its a foul.

Like I said, people who watch his games don't complain about him going to the free throw line when he wasn't fouled, they complain about him going to the line. Period. Because anybody who truly watches a game, knows that almost every foul he draws, is in fact a foul.

Just like the little rip through shot move thingy that seems to be all the rage in the NBA now. You may not like it, I may not like it, the fans may not like it, but that doesn't change the fact that its a foul.

Harden deserves every foul he draws, because every foul he draws is a foul.

SpanishACB
02-06-2015, 05:45 AM
lol OP

what a dumb thread backfire

RidonKs
02-06-2015, 07:14 AM
i can see what he means about the ball handling

harden doesn't size up his defender or adjust his game in any way. he'll just throw a flurry of tight quick low dribbles and dance around until (he hopes) the defender decides to go for the bait. then he pulls back and takes that ultra quick first step into the lane.

but if you're a smart defender, you just stare at his chest and find the happy medium between contesting the step back and sliding your feet. usually harden will dribble out the shot clock and hoist or fire a chest pass for teammates contested three

all thats obv easier said than done. harden has two of the quickest pairs of hands and feet in the league.

UK2K
02-06-2015, 07:41 AM
i can see what he means about the ball handling

harden doesn't size up his defender or adjust his game in any way. he'll just throw a flurry of tight quick low dribbles and dance around until (he hopes) the defender decides to go for the bait. then he pulls back and takes that ultra quick first step into the lane.

but if you're a smart defender, you just stare at his chest and find the happy medium between contesting the step back and sliding your feet. usually harden will dribble out the shot clock and hoist or fire a chest pass for teammates contested three

all thats obv easier said than done. harden has two of the quickest pairs of hands and feet in the league.
And he's shooting 43% from deep since the new year.

He does the same thing I did as a player. Never fast enough to blow past my man, but you don't need to, you just need to get your shoulder in front of the defenders shoulder, and you've got them beat.

Let them ride in you all the way into the paint and then draw the easy foul.

YouGotServed
02-06-2015, 07:45 AM
Consensus MVP by far.

brantonli
02-06-2015, 09:01 AM

Quite frankly, nobody guards wings or guards 1-on-1, you require your C and PF to know how to rotate around so the driving lanes are closed. The guy with the ball always has the advantage over the defender.

Wally450
02-06-2015, 10:51 AM

He initiates contact, no doubt about it, but 9 times out of 10 the defender is in a bad position and its a foul, whether you agree with the strategy or not, its a foul.

Like I said, people who watch his games don't complain about him going to the free throw line when he wasn't fouled, they complain about him going to the line. Period. Because anybody who truly watches a game, knows that almost every foul he draws, is in fact a foul.

Just like the little rip through shot move thingy that seems to be all the rage in the NBA now. You may not like it, I may not like it, the fans may not like it, but that doesn't change the fact that its a foul.

:applause:

BlazerRed
02-06-2015, 11:19 AM
It's confirmed. James Harden > Durant and Kobe.

RightTwoCensor
02-06-2015, 01:02 PM
Hold this W.

Practice?
02-06-2015, 01:12 PM

quoting this

The_Yearning
02-06-2015, 01:40 PM

True that. He ain't like D-Whistle with them phantom calls.

pauk
02-06-2015, 02:13 PM

As a 6'4" defender? Not even worth mentioning Lebron.... you cant/dont "figure out" a 6'9-260 dude with such athleticism & skills as a 6'4" guy, you cant defy the laws of physics..... every single moment Tony Allen tried to defend him he would just ragdoll him around like you play with your 10 year old brother.... he might aswell guard Dwight Howard or Blake Griffin if he guards Lebron, thats what Lebron weighs and he is not that much shorter than them either.... its a massive mismatch...... and if he tries to lead Lebron into his "DPOY" Marc Gasol Lebron would more than anything else actually love to run at him for an and1 or a poster or kick it to a wideopen guy.....

The only reason Tony Allen can get away with defending someone as tall or taller like Kevin Durant so well though is because Kevin aint that bulky/strong, Tony can handle him physically, he is simply tall & skinny and has no big quickness advantage over Tony Allen either.... he can get away with it... KD can only settle with J's over him or try drive anyways.....

You can only figure out somebody who you theoretically should be able to defend....

AirBourne92
02-06-2015, 02:21 PM
As a 6'4" defender? Not even worth mentioning Lebron.... you cant/dont "figure out" a 6'9-260 dude with such athleticism & skills as a 6'4" guy, you cant defy the laws of physics..... every single moment Tony Allen tried to defend him he would just ragdoll him around like you play with your 10 year old brother.... he might aswell guard Shaq if he guards Lebron.... its a massive mismatch...... and if he tries to lead Lebron into his "DPOY" Marc Gasol Lebron would more than anything else actually love to run at him for an and1 or a poster or kick it to a wideopen guy.....

The only reason Tony Allen can get away with defending someone as tall or taller like Kevin Durant so well though is because Kevin aint that bulky/strong, Tony can handle him physically, he is simply tall & skinny and has no quickness advantage over Tony Allen either.... he can get away with it... KD can only settle with J's over him or try drive anyways.....

You can only figure out somebody who you theoretically should be able to defend....

the thing with Durant is that he isn't as versatile on offense nearly as much as people think he is.

dude has a certain gaps and weaknesses

Tony Allen said Lebron was the most physical opponent he guarded, and Kobe was the greatest and hardest.

On a fast break, Tony isn't stopping Lebron, but in a half court set, he can shade him and force him where he wants lebron to go.

the thing is lebron's team is full of so much talent that they have to adjust to lebron's passing tendencies which lead to 3 points from a shooter usually, and when that happens lebron gets lanes open to bulldoze through either for a foul or a layup.

Akhenaten
02-06-2015, 05:08 PM

yup

Dengness9
02-06-2015, 05:14 PM
He'll retire b4 he figures out Beard.

Akhenaten
02-06-2015, 05:15 PM

Dwade in his prime consistently finished at a 66-70% clip at the rim/in the paint, shot 50% from the field and had MULTIPLE playoff series where he avg 25 ppg on 55%+ FG including a series where he avg 27 on 62%

Don't ever fix your fingers to type some nonsense like that ever again, prime Wade DESTROYED playoff defenses, he didn't NEED gimmick fouls he scored of FG's, he got fouls because he was so hard to stop from scoring.

Meanwhile Harden shoots a million 3's and avg sub 40% from the FIELD in his playoffs career.

How DARE you!

Dengness9
02-06-2015, 05:18 PM
Harden will be MVP until they name ATL Hawks starting 5 the MVP

KungFuJoe
02-06-2015, 05:44 PM

You should be banned just for this alone. WTF.

UK2K
02-06-2015, 05:49 PM
Dwade in his prime consistently finished at a 66-70% clip at the rim/in the paint, shot 50% from the field and had MULTIPLE playoff series where he avg 25 ppg on 55%+ FG including a series where he avg 27 on 62%

Don't ever fix your fingers to type some nonsense like that ever again, prime Wade DESTROYED playoff defenses, he didn't NEED gimmick fouls he scored of FG's, he got fouls because he was so hard to stop from scoring.

Meanwhile Harden shoots a million 3's and avg sub 40% from the FIELD in his playoffs career.

How DARE you!

2006 Dallas/Miami Finals

Dwayne Wade

35, 4, 3 on 46% from the field, 27% from deep....

114 free throw attempts, or about 16.2 per game.

KungFuJoe
02-06-2015, 05:52 PM
2006 Dallas/Miami Finals

Dwayne Wade

You gotta factor in that the 3pt shot was barely a part of his repertoire. He was all midrange and drives so of course he's going to the line more often.

Wade IS a flopper...but so is Harden. They cancel each other out in the flop/fouls dept...but when you factor in Wade's superior stats and his insane championship run (something Harden hasn't even sniffed yet), trying to compare the two is just LOL worthy.

Akhenaten
02-06-2015, 10:40 PM
2006 Dallas/Miami Finals

Dwayne Wade

2006 Detroit/Miami Eastern Conference Finals

Dwayne Wade

27/6/5 on 62% from the field

52 free throw attempts, or about 8.7 per game

post some of Harden's playoff series where he dominated with or without FT's, I'll wait...

I can post Wade series all night where he destroyed teams without FT's.

Let me know how you want it.

you want regular season?

26/5/6 50%

8.6 FTA

I'll wait for your Harden playoff numbers.

Cowboy Thunder
02-06-2015, 10:44 PM
Tony Allen should be an NBA All Star

Dro
02-06-2015, 10:45 PM

This.....Exactly this.....

Milbuck
02-06-2015, 10:45 PM
No player has to figure out Harden. Dude is a guaranteed no show in the playoffs. Best way to guard him is just show up and play the game :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

knicksman
02-06-2015, 10:58 PM
More like harden is not that impressive to be studied. Even nobodies can stop him:lol

LoneyROY7
02-06-2015, 11:30 PM
"You're not going to Matt Barnes me..."

:roll: :roll: :roll:

:(

AirBourne92
02-06-2015, 11:56 PM
lets be honest here.

harden is probably gonna get lit up in the playoffs like usual

this time he doesn't even have fkin jeremy lin to help him *** shieeit up