PDA

View Full Version : Houston pre/post Dwight

UK2K
02-07-2015, 01:08 AM
I had this super long thing typed up, full of statistics about how DMo and Smith have become solid players, how the offense is more fluid, backed up with assist numbers and turnover numbers and how Houston's small ball style has led to more fast break points and a better shooting percentage from the floor and from 3pt range...

Then something crashed the page.

I spent like, a good 30 minutes on it, looking up stats and doing the calculations by hand. I was real proud of myself.

All that said, Houston is a more efficient team on offense without Howard. Assist numbers, FG shooting, PPG, all have gone up in the 7 games Howard has gone down. The defense has suffered slightly, but the small athletic lineup has allowed Houston to still contest shots, and allows them to grab rebounds and go.

How they are 6-1 without him, with wins over 4 current playoff teams (Phoenix/Dallas/Milwaukee/Chicago).

Long story short, Houston has been better without Dwight.

FML. :facepalm

coin24
02-07-2015, 01:11 AM
Dwert is a rebounding defensive big, only good for putbacks and dunks.
Why anyone thinks he's more is beyond me:confusedshrug:

YouGotServed
02-07-2015, 01:11 AM
Everyone has stepped up but it's mainly Harden carrying this team.

Harden 4 MVP
Best SG in the game
Best player in the league
3rd in the West
Best defensive team in the NBA

UK2K
02-07-2015, 01:16 AM
Everyone has stepped up but it's mainly Harden carrying this team.

Harden 4 MVP
Best SG in the game
Best player in the league
3rd in the West
Best defensive team in the NBA

In the last 7 games, Houston is averaging like 3 more apg, which would put them in the top 10. Their 3pt % over the last 10 is like 39.something%, which is a nice change from the 35% they are averaging on the season.

Also, they are only allowing like 30.7% over their last 7 from deep, which is by far the best in the league. Their defense is faster, more athletic, and is challenging the shots better.

I had a really sweet post. Im so pissed.

ABfor3
02-07-2015, 01:20 AM
In the last 7 games, Houston is averaging like 3 more apg, which would put them in the top 10. Their 3pt % over the last 10 is like 39.something%, which is a nice change from the 35% they are averaging on the season.

Also, they are only allowing like 30.7% over their last 7 from deep, which is by far the best in the league. Their defense is faster, more athletic, and is challenging the shots better.

I had a really sweet post. Im so pissed.
Would have been an interesting read, Ive felt this way since the beginning of the season when Dwight was out.

RightTwoCensor
02-07-2015, 01:21 AM
MVP
All-Star
All-NBA
All-Defense
Most Improved Player
Scoring Champion

GOAT Tier Season

Mr Exlax
02-07-2015, 01:30 AM
We're gonna need D12 in the playoffs. We need somebody that we can dump it down to from time to time and draw a double team in the post. Shit changes once those playoffs start.

dunksby
02-07-2015, 01:31 AM
Let's see if you agree with yourself in the playoffs, D12 is crucial for Houston in postseason.

UK2K
02-07-2015, 01:40 AM
We're gonna need D12 in the playoffs. We need somebody that we can dump it down to from time to time and draw a double team in the post. Shit changes once those playoffs start.
We have someone. His name is DMo, and he's a hell of a lot more efficient on the block, and a hell of a lot better at free throws too.
One part of my long azz post:

Pre Dwight injury:
DMo
10.8 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 51/31/64

Smith
9.9 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 42/22/44

Post Dwight injury:

DMo
16.8 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 56/43/64

Smith
12.3 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 45/41/50

ABfor3
02-07-2015, 01:50 AM
Howard has been great defensively this season we will definitely need him in the playoffs however I still think the offense is smoother without Dwight in the game

Milbuck
02-07-2015, 01:50 AM
Houston doesn't need him. They need a player of his TALENT, but not Dwight specifically. They need a Klay Thompson-type wing player to run with Harden, to light it up from deep and be a nightmare off-the-ball threat but also a go to defensive stopper for elite opposing wings. Pretty much a rich man's version of what Ariza is.

The big man-little man duo just isn't as ideal as it used to be...Harden's ball-dominance (which isn't a bad thing, I might add, considering how the roster is constructed with its shooters) will just never allow Dwight to thrive. And if Dwight's in beast mode, you take away from one of the team's biggest strengths, which is Harden's attacking and feeding the array of shooters.

I don't know who would trade for Dwight given his situation, but if Houston wants to win anything, he's got to go. I've always been firm believer that prime Dwight is underrated as hell, but he's not that guy anymore and he just doesn't fit what Houston is trying to do. It's only going to get worse as he ages and his physical advantages fade away.

Mr. Jabbar
02-07-2015, 01:51 AM
dwight looks better on magazine covers than on court that's for sure. had 1 year of him 1st hand, don't miss him a bit.

teams become stagnant, overrated defense

YouGotServed
02-07-2015, 01:53 AM
The only two posters who have blatantly bashed Dwight are Kobe fan boys.

RENT. FREE.

:yaohappy:

Jacks3
02-07-2015, 01:55 AM
Not surprising. The 2013 Lakers were also better without him offensively. Dwight hasn't been a positive impact player offensively since 2012, because he's an idiot who wants to run stagnant postups instead of running P&R's, getting offensive rebounds, and relying on opportunity baskets.

UK2K
02-07-2015, 01:56 AM
Howard has been great defensively this season we will definitely need him in the playoffs however I still think the offense is smoother without Dwight in the game

Houston's PPG went from 7th to 3rd, their FG% went from 23rd to 9th, and their 3pt % went from 13th to 3rd, all in the absence of Dwight.

They are giving up slightly more points, and like I said, slightly higher FG% allowed, but their 3pt defense minus Dwight is best in the league by a wide margin (it was 2nd best with Dwight, but just to illustrate the small ball defensive philosophy).

Houston is 6-1 without him, with four wins against playoff teams. They are developing a groove, a rhythm, that I think will work nicely with the personnel they have now.

rezznor
02-07-2015, 02:55 AM
Houston's PPG went from 7th to 3rd, their FG% went from 23rd to 9th, and their 3pt % went from 13th to 3rd, all in the absence of Dwight.

They are giving up slightly more points, and like I said, slightly higher FG% allowed, but their 3pt defense minus Dwight is best in the league by a wide margin (it was 2nd best with Dwight, but just to illustrate the small ball defensive philosophy).

Houston is 6-1 without him, with four wins against playoff teams. They are developing a groove, a rhythm, that I think will work nicely with the personnel they have now.Still need a playmaker to take pressure off the mvp. You know he's gonna get doubled and denied the ball in the playoffs.

dunksby
02-07-2015, 03:20 AM
Still need a playmaker to take pressure off the mvp. You know he's gonna get doubled and denied the ball in the playoffs.
Or have a strong finisher in the paint to pass out of double teams?

Badazzwriter
02-07-2015, 03:21 AM
Not surprising. The 2013 Lakers were also better without him offensively. Dwight hasn't been a positive impact player offensively since 2012, because he's an idiot who wants to run stagnant postups instead of running P&R's, getting offensive rebounds, and relying on opportunity baskets.
You're wrong, its all kobe's fault

Quickening
02-07-2015, 03:22 AM
Sample size, 7 games

rezznor
02-07-2015, 06:01 AM
Or have a strong finisher in the paint to pass out of double teams?
that would be dwights roll but he has to stop trying to be a post up threat. we need a real pg who can score if he needs to

dunksby
02-07-2015, 01:29 PM
that would be dwights roll but he has to stop trying to be a post up threat. we need a real pg who can score if he needs to
Maybe that's what the coach is asking of him, D12 never showed such tendency to post up before.