PDA

View Full Version : Houston with Dwight vs Houston without Dwight

UK2K
02-07-2015, 03:34 AM
Since I am at work and have more time than I know what to do with, I decided to give this another go, hopefully this time it won't delete itself.

I wanted to do an analytical look at Houston's performance with Dwight healthy and since Dwight has gone down. This post is not to point out that Houston is any worse or better without Dwight, it is simply an analytical view of Houston's games since Dwight has gone down.

Just watching Houston play, it seems like the offense is more fluid. Dwight has this obsession with posting on the block, and when he does, he has a tendency to dribble too long, either into a turnover, a travelling call, or just a bad forced shot.

Without Dwight, DMo/Smith/Jones have filled in nicely. Their shooting has spaced the floor, opening up the lane for more lay ups and more drive and kick opportunities. The offense seems to be playing at a more efficient level.

On the defensive end, Dwight will surely be missed, but the idea of this version of 'small ball' (positional wise, not size) seems to be working in the Rockets favor. The speed and athleticism has helped Houston stay active on the defensive end, leading to more steals and fast break opportunities. In addition to that, the length and athleticism has also allowed Houston to become a lock down team on the perimeter. While you would assume the defensive FG% would suffer as a result of a lack of a true low post rim defender, the 3pt FG% defense has been outstanding, resulting in long rebounds and, again, more fast break opportunities. Again, the athleticism (quickness, length, rotation speed, close out ability) has enabled Houston to continue to contest shots, even without Dwight on the floor.

Dwight did miss several weeks earlier in the season, but that was before Houston acquired Brewer and Smith, and before Jones became healthy. So, for this argument, I am using the averages of the players and team before and after 1/21. Dwight was injured on 1/23 against the Suns, but he only played 8 minutes in the game.

Without further adieu...

First, lets look at the biggest benefactors of Dwight's absence:

Pre Dwight injury:
DMo
10.8 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 51/31/64
Smith
9.9 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 42/22/44

Post Dwight injury:
DMo
16.8 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 56/43/64
Smith
12.3 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 45/41/50

This tells us that DMo and Smith are working wonders down low. While Smith may not be the most efficient scorer in the league, his passing and (ill perceived) threat of a jump shot has spaced the floor. It won't show up in the stat box as an assist, but many of the buckets for Smith and DMo down low have come off assists or hockey assists from one to the other. Both big men are skilled passers, and with Harden's vision, they are doing an excellent job of finding seams in the defense and getting (mostly DMo) high quality shots. DMo is shooting 56% from the floor and 43% from deep since Dwight went down, an increase of roughly 5% and 12%, respectively. Smith is shooting around the same % from the floor, but his long range shooting has improved remarkably. Granted, a lot of it can just be considered hot shooting, but there's no doubt that where he is receiving the ball on those long shots has a big impact on his efficiency from deep.

The above should be obvious, Dwight goes down, post players get more minutes, stats go up. But its that efficiency that really grabs my attention.

But maybe the not so obvious difference is how the team as a whole has been playing...

Rockets Season Averages
102.6 PPG (#7)
.439% FG (#23)
.351% 3PT FG (#13)
98.8 PPGA (#12)
.440% FGA (#8)
.317% 3PT FGA (#2)
21.2 APG (#18)
16.3 TOPG (#29)

Rockets Averages Post Dwight Injury
(Rankings are where they would currently fall in the NBA, given this stretch)

103.5 PPG (#6)
.453% FG (#14)
.361% 3PT FG (#9)
99.1 PPGA (#14)
.414% FGA (#1)
.306% 3PT FGA (#1)
23.4 APG (#5)
13.7 TOPG (#15)

Again, this isn't a 'are they or aren't they better', I just wanted to visually share in statistical form what I am seeing from watching Houston play without Dwight. Whether it is sustainable or not is a question for another day, but currently, this Rockets team is built for this run and gun, frantic defense, long bombing offense they have going right now.

The fact is, they are 6-1 without Dwight, with four wins over current playoff teams (Dal, Chi, Pho, Mil). The road doesn't get any easier for Houston, who's next five games are all against playoff teams, with back to back road games on the 10th and 11th vs Phoenix and LAC. It will be a good measuring stick as to whether the style of play we are using now will continue to work in the Rockets favor.

navy
02-07-2015, 03:49 AM
Dat sample size.

UK2K
02-07-2015, 03:53 AM
Dat sample size.
The fact is, they are 6-1 without Dwight during his most recent injury, with four wins over current playoff teams (Dal, Chi, Pho, Mil).

And, they were 8-4 without Dwight before the addition of Brewer/Smith and the return of Jones.

So, now, 14-5 without Dwight, 6-1 with their current roster.

The sample size is admittedly small, but again, Houston is 14-5 without him on the season.

I didn't want to do all the numbers by hand in games that Dwight hasn't played, and before the addition of the aforementioned players, the stats wouldn't be the same as after the addition of the aforementioned players. Therefore, the games from his earlier injury are irrelevant.

Taller than CP3
02-07-2015, 03:56 AM
Hey man, have you ever wacked off at work?

BigBoss
02-07-2015, 03:56 AM
Meltdown

BigBoss
02-07-2015, 03:57 AM

I like your style

UK2K
02-07-2015, 04:05 AM
Cameras everywhere. That's risky business, but maybe it'll heighten the mood.

BigBoss
02-07-2015, 04:10 AM
Cameras everywhere. That's risky business, but maybe it'll heighten the mood.

Cameras = adreneline rush

UK2K
02-07-2015, 04:11 AM

I mean, I am the one operating them.... :banana:

UK2K
02-07-2015, 06:25 AM
TTT

Wanna keep this up top so my ClutchCity homeboys can check it out.

Plus, this is the actual HowardvNonHoward thread.

Sakkreth
02-07-2015, 08:03 AM
Big men in Houston are all good defensively (while Dwight is still the best one), so they don't hurt as much as other teams would losing such player. On offensive end they probably improve slightly when Dwight is not there, especially if Smith is in check to not shoot too much.

StephHamann
02-07-2015, 08:03 AM
http://weknowgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/didnt-read-lol-gif-4.gif

bagelred
02-07-2015, 09:10 AM
You're fired

Chadwin
02-07-2015, 01:24 PM
GOATiejunas is shooting 56% on post ups.

TheMarkMadsen
02-07-2015, 01:38 PM
Lakers fans were spot on about Dwight

YouGotServed
02-07-2015, 02:12 PM
Good post OP. At this point is pretty obvious the offense flows a lot smoother when Houston isn't trying to force feed Dwight in the post. He's never been a post up guy not even in Orlando. I think the challenge for Houston now is finding ways for Dwight to be effective in the paint.

He is usually open 3 or 4 times during the game but his teammates can't find him. Give him the ball when he runs the floor and beats his man to the spot. Houston gets in trouble when they slow the pace and start posting up Dwight expecting him to go prime Hakeem.

With that said Houston still needs Dwight in the playoffs, but I'm not sure he'll be healthy by then. Even if he is, it'll be interesting to see if or how Dwight adapts to this new sort of free flowing offense that seems to be working for Houston right now.

UK2K
02-07-2015, 02:23 PM
Good post OP. At this point is pretty obvious the offense flows a lot smoother when Houston isn't trying to force feed Dwight in the post. He's never been a post up guy not even in Orlando. I think the challenge for Houston now is finding ways for Dwight to be effective in the paint.

He is usually open 3 or 4 times during the game but his teammates can't find him. Give him the ball when he runs the floor and beats his man to the spot. Houston gets in trouble when they slow the pace and start posting up Dwight expecting him to go prime Hakeem.

With that said Houston still needs Dwight in the playoffs, but I'm not sure he'll be healthy by then. Even if he is, it'll be interesting to see if or how Dwight adapts to this new sort of free flowing offense that seems to be working for Houston right now.

If Dwight played like Deandre Jordan, this team would be great. No post ups, just rebound, play defense, and catch and dunk lobs. That's all we need.

None of this dribble, dribble, dribble, obvious spin move that doesn't work stuff.

The biggest problem is, when he does dribble more than once, now all of a sudden hes a liability on offense because he can't hit a free throw.

He needs to stop trying to be 24 year old Dwight, and instead be 24 year old Deandre.

YouGotServed
02-07-2015, 02:35 PM
Dwight has a better post up game than DeAndre Jordan. Houston will need the easy buckets from Dwight when they start missing every 3 in the playoffs. He can still be effective in the post if he avoids the extra 1 or 2 dribbles because that's a guaranteed TO. Just catch and finish around the rim.

He needs to realize D-Mo has a better back to the basket game. Not saying Dwight shouldn't post up anymore. A Dwight in position to score is deadly. Give him the ball when he seals his man. Easy 2 pts. Just don't give him the ball outside the paint area, that isn't going to work. No efficiently at least.

That's a big challenge for Dwight but practice makes perfect. Still a lot of games left to play.

el_locoteee
02-07-2015, 03:52 PM
http://dimemag.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/dwight-howard-stay-with-lakers.jpg

UK2K
02-07-2015, 04:29 PM

No, they really were about as wrong as could be.

See, when you have your knee pads on, begging Dwight to stay with billboards and celebrities, that means you think hes still a great player.

He's not a great player anymore. Above average, yes, but father time is undefeated.

Unless of course, you want to argue that Laker nation didn't do those things. Did they?

Demon Lizard
02-07-2015, 04:41 PM
To be fair, Lakers would be much better with Dwight.

YouGotServed
02-07-2015, 05:09 PM

See, when you have your knee pads on, begging Dwight to stay with billboards and celebrities, that means you think hes still a great player.

He's not a great player anymore. Above average, yes, but father time is undefeated.

Unless of course, you want to argue that Laker nation didn't do those things. Did they?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

RightTwoCensor
02-07-2015, 05:17 PM

http://media.tumblr.com/e16dd16f4de841b391f118f72714a54e/tumblr_inline_nbat9kBEXc1satqni.gif

KungFuJoe
02-07-2015, 06:50 PM
I been saying this for two years now and you're just figuring it out?

I knew you were slow but THIS slow?

UK2K
02-07-2015, 07:13 PM
I been saying this for two years now and you're just figuring it out?

I knew you were slow but THIS slow?
Well Houston gets swept without Dwight against Portland, so it obviously wasn't true just last season.

Springsteen
02-07-2015, 07:26 PM

THIS :applause: :applause: :applause:

need to try it someday

Mr Exlax
02-07-2015, 09:09 PM

That hot fire!

dunksby
02-21-2015, 06:09 AM
You can't do much damage in the playoffs with Joey Dorsey and Motiejunas.

Smoke117
02-21-2015, 06:18 AM

http://persephonemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/takei-lol.gif

I<3NBA
02-21-2015, 07:05 AM

http://www.theshiznit.co.uk/media/2012/September/burn.jpg

UK2K
02-21-2015, 10:27 AM
You can't do much damage in the playoffs with Joey Dorsey and Motiejunas.

I really thought they would bring in back up C before the deadline.

Where is Oden? He still wanna play?

dunksby
05-15-2015, 02:45 PM
Dwight stays winning; silencing haters :applause:

UK2K
05-15-2015, 04:39 PM
Dwight stays winning; silencing haters :applause:

Dwight has been nothing short of spectacular since his return.

He looks like a completely different player.

And with his willingness to play the Deandre Jordan role (AKA Rox arent pounding the ball down low) hes become a game changer on both ends of the floor, like Deandre is now. I've been begging all season for McHale to ditch the force feed game. They've done it, and Dwight is shining.

YouGotServed
05-15-2015, 06:25 PM

Few months later...Dwight with 20 and 20 in an elimination game on the road. The Mamba army stay taking Ls.

http://media.tumblr.com/e16dd16f4de841b391f118f72714a54e/tumblr_inline_nbat9kBEXc1satqni.gif

daily
05-15-2015, 06:46 PM
Dwight was a beast last night in the 4th quarter. If he plays like that on Sunday the Rockets will move on

Fallen Angel
05-15-2015, 06:47 PM
Few months later...Dwight with 20 and 20 in an elimination game on the road. The Mamba army stay taking Ls.

chips93
05-15-2015, 08:31 PM
Dwight has been nothing short of spectacular since his return.

He looks like a completely different player.

And with his willingness to play the Deandre Jordan role (AKA Rox arent pounding the ball down low) hes become a game changer on both ends of the floor, like Deandre is now. I've been begging all season for McHale to ditch the force feed game. They've done it, and Dwight is shining.

this

i thought he had too much of an ego to ever accept this role