PDA

View Full Version : REPORT: Kings in serious talks with George Karl

Milbuck
02-07-2015, 07:47 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12292808/george-karl-serious-talks-sacramento-kings-coaching-vacancy
The Sacramento Kings have engaged in serious discussions with George Karl and his representatives in recent days as the team's play has worsened under interim coach Tyrone Corbin, league coaching sources have confirmed to ESPN.

The Kings, according to sources, are still deciding whether they indeed want to make another coaching change so soon, which would make it three coaches in the brief regime of new owner Vivek Ranadive.

George Karl, who was named the NBA's Coach of the Year in 2013, is in serious talks with the Kings about their current coaching vacancy, according to sources.
But sources say Ranadive is increasingly ‎intrigued by the idea of bringing Karl in immediately after initially pledging to give Corbin the rest of the season to make his case.

Karl, who currently works as an analyst at ESPN, has not commented on numerous reports linking him and the Kings' coaching vacancy.

The Kings' recent conversations with Karl were reported earlier Saturday by the Sacramento Bee.

Karl ranks sixth all-time among NBA coaches with 1,131 wins and has worked extensively with two key members of Sacramento's brain trust in general manager Pete D'Alessandro and assistant GM Mike Bratz, as well as recent Kings hire Dean Oliver.

In the wake of Michael Malone's firing back in December, Karl made it clear he was interested in the Kings' coaching vacancy, saying he was "hungry to get back in the gym."

"There's no question that the year or year and a half that I've been out and been with ESPN has been fun, but I think I've got one more rodeo left in me," Karl said in December. "I'd like to get back in the gym and get with a good team. In a lot of ways, I think Sacramento fits that process, in my mind."

ESPN also reported in December that Kings adviser Chris Mullin resisted a push from Ranadive to take over for the fired Malone despite his lack of NBA coaching experience.

The Kings entered play Saturday with a 17-31 record -- the fourth-worst mark in the Western Conference. Sacramento is 6-18 under Corbin and has lost 10 of its last 11 games.
Related news...apparently Cousins' camp aren't fans of it.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25062036/report-demarcus-cousins-camp-against-potential-george-karl-hire
The Sacramento Kings are reportedly having serious discussions with George Karl about becoming their head coach. There are some in the organization, though, who question how he'll get along with franchise player DeMarcus Cousins, according to USA Today's Sam Amick:

Karl's personal past with a number of influential members in and around the Kings organization remains relevant as well, as he previously coached Kings advisor Chris Mullin and has history with the two agents who represent franchise centerpiece DeMarcus Cousins as well. Cousins' day-to-day agent, Jarrin Akana, worked with Karl in Denver and was re-assigned from assistant coach to scout when Karl took over for coach Jeff Bzdelik in 2005. Dan Fegan, Cousins' lead agent, represented Karl's son, Coby, as a player for years before he was eventually replaced. That circle, by all accounts, has been against the notion of adding Karl.

To that end, D'Alessandro's ability to change their minds is key here as well. While it appears D'Alessandro is endorsing Karl with or without the support of his team's top player or his representatives, he would prefer to have agreement on that front if Ranadive ultimately approves the hiring. There is some concern within the organization, however, that hiring Karl could create substantive conflict going forward when it comes to Cousins.

Cousins' good relationship with Mike Malone didn't stop the Kings from firing him earlier this season. That might make it even more important that Sacramento makes sure he and Karl have a meeting of the minds, if the organization indeed decides Karl is the man for the job. That said, the Kings' responsibility is to hire the best coach possible. There were Golden State Warriors players -- and stars! -- unhappy with the decision to fire Mark Jackson last summer, but nobody's complaining now. This stuff might matter, but winning would matter much more.

Also in the USA Today report: Sacramento general manager Pete D'Alessandro traveled to Denver to talk with Karl recently and "is clearly determined to get this deal done."

The Kings play the Utah Jazz on Saturday, with current head coach Tyrone Corbin in a rather uncomfortable position.

Cocaine80s
02-07-2015, 07:48 PM
http://i.minus.com/ivmOsOivU1kKL.gif

navy
02-07-2015, 07:50 PM
Cant tell if bad or good.

JohnFreeman
02-07-2015, 07:56 PM
please, better than Corbin, Malone better

rhowen4
02-07-2015, 07:58 PM
pull the trigger

Thunderfan86
02-07-2015, 07:58 PM
Why would George Karl want to coach this team? Just the other day they were talking about him wanting to coach the Magic. :confusedshrug:

gts
02-07-2015, 08:03 PM
Why would George Karl want to coach this team? Just the other day they were talking about him wanting to coach the Magic. :confusedshrug:

magic FO is either asleep at the switch or they have their eye on somebody else

Karl would be great for the Magic but he'll also be good in Sacramento

coin24
02-07-2015, 08:10 PM
At least the Kings have a couple of decent pieces, and a franchise player in cousins.. The magic are a joke, those idiots thought they were going to compete this season:lol
With vaughn as coach and that shitty roster:roll:

Of course the magic are sleeping on this, and they will definitely have someone else in mind, because they're the magic:lol

ralph_i_el
02-07-2015, 08:12 PM
That's really really dumb. Hire an old crochety white run and gun coach...for demarcus cousins?

This would probably be a disaster.

gigantes
02-07-2015, 08:13 PM
REPORT: Kings in serious talks with George Karl
so is his proctologist and the guy who sells him bean-o pills... so what's your point, mofo?

Ariza4three
02-07-2015, 08:23 PM
Seems like Orlando has their eye on someone else.

andremiller07
02-07-2015, 08:24 PM
Why would a winning coach want to coach a bunch of selfish no heart quitters?

Milbuck
02-07-2015, 08:26 PM
Why would a winning coach want to coach bunch of selfish no heart quitters?
Because a winning coach can make players play with unselfishness and heart. I know you're down on your Kings but DMC + an elite coach = lots of potential.

andremiller07
02-07-2015, 08:30 PM
Because a winning coach can make players play with unselfishness and heart. I know you're down on your Kings but DMC + an elite coach = lots of potential.
With Rudy Gay on your team = zero potential

HylianNightmare
02-07-2015, 10:47 PM
Liked him for orlando

D-FENS
02-07-2015, 11:39 PM
They shouldn't have fired Malone

RoundMoundOfReb
02-07-2015, 11:48 PM
Do they really have a good roster for George Karl? I don't see it. I'd like to see him in Orlando.

bdreason
02-08-2015, 12:10 AM
Kings gonna bring in a veteran coach for their lottery team eh? :oldlol:

Done_And_Done
02-08-2015, 07:34 AM
With Rudy Gay on your team = zero potential

As a Raptors fan I can assert that a man of great logic you are.

StephHamann
02-08-2015, 07:43 AM
http://i.minus.com/ivmOsOivU1kKL.gif

http://i.imgur.com/QT2MvNd.jpg

Take Your Lumps
02-08-2015, 09:09 AM
It's the Kings so this will probably blow up in their face and whoever hires Malone will be very happy in a few years.

fiddy
02-08-2015, 09:36 AM
Yahoo Sources: The resistance to George Karl hiring by Cousins' camp has stalled talks and given sides pause about pushing through on deal.

Boogie not happy about it

OnFire
02-08-2015, 09:52 AM
That's really really dumb. Hire an old crochety white run and gun coach...for demarcus cousins?

racist.

maybe you and that shit ass team should worry about coaching skills vs coaching color. No where did it say playstyle was the issue. People in cousins camp are salty Karl demoted them in a previous job? He should fire "advisors" who are messing up his BIZZNESS of winning over some old ass tears

Jasper
02-08-2015, 12:13 PM

Karl is a lot more diverse than your posts ...
College he had a big man, Denver he had Nen'e and Seattle he had a high post center.

start looking at the the teams he coached to post worthy notes.