PDA

View Full Version : Help solve debate. Valunciunus or drummond

barkleynash
02-08-2015, 06:33 PM
Was arguing with my brother over this. I would rather have big Val, as I think his upside, overall skill is more valuable that Drummond, long term.

thoughts?

RoundMoundOfReb
02-08-2015, 06:34 PM
Drummond EASILY. Valunciunus is absurdly overrated. It's annoying.

Jud
02-08-2015, 06:34 PM
Drummond. He's a better rebounder and could become an 18-20 ppg scorer if he works on his post game. Potentially a 20/15 guy.

Smook A.
02-08-2015, 06:36 PM
Give me Andre Drummond. He's a double-double machine! I like Valanciunas' potential, but I think Drummond has a higher ceiling.

RedBlackAttack
02-08-2015, 06:39 PM
+1

Jonas the myth has been far better than Jonas the player. He is still young and he has potential, but right now he's a 10/8 player that is nothing special defensively and offers very little rim protection.

There isn't one aspect of the game where I watch Val and see an elite skill.

Meanwhile, Drummond has elite defensive and rebounding skills, and is an elite athlete for his size.

This isn't close.

Ariza4three
02-08-2015, 06:40 PM
Drummond and it's not close.

lilteapot
02-08-2015, 06:42 PM
This.

Milbuck
02-08-2015, 06:58 PM
+1

Jonas the myth has been far better than Jonas the player. He is still young and he has potential, but right now he's a 10/8 player that is nothing special defensively and offers very little rim protection.

There isn't one aspect of the game where I watch Val and see an elite skill.

Meanwhile, Drummond has elite defensive and rebounding skills, and is an elite athlete for his size.

This isn't close.
Val is more than a 10/8 player. In the few Raps games I've seen, the coaching is abysmal and it most directly affects JV. And this is what I hear from the vast majority of Raps fans on here and on other forums. Dude doesn't get consistent minutes, nowhere near a consistent role in the offense..it speaks more to how poorly he's used than his actual ability. Not saying he's an all-star, but he's better than his stat line.

Also, Drummond isn't exactly the greatest defender either. For someone so supremely physically gifted, and so hyped up as a potential defensive beast..he's really not that incredible on that end. He'll have games that flash his potential..but he hasn't put it together on a consistent basis to warrant the "elite" label, imo.

Although I do agree that his ceiling is waay higher.

KNOW1EDGE
02-08-2015, 07:16 PM
Drummond by a landslide.

Not sure if OP is serious

IGOTGAME
02-08-2015, 07:32 PM
Val is more than a 10/8 player. In the few Raps games I've seen, the coaching is abysmal and it most directly affects JV. And this is what I hear from the vast majority of Raps fans on here and on other forums. Dude doesn't get consistent minutes, nowhere near a consistent role in the offense..it speaks more to how poorly he's used than his actual ability. Not saying he's an all-star, but he's better than his stat line.

Also, Drummond isn't exactly the greatest defender either. For someone so supremely physically gifted, and so hyped up as a potential defensive beast..he's really not that incredible on that end. He'll have games that flash his potential..but he hasn't put it together on a consistent basis to warrant the "elite" label, imo.

Although I do agree that his ceiling is waay higher.

Drummond is better. But Val is more than a 10/8 player. This year he is averaging 12/8 in 26 minutes on a good team.

Meticode
02-08-2015, 07:38 PM
Give me Vally right now. Drummond has all the physical tools to be a great center, but it just hasn't materialized yet. He's really struggled this season. Sometimes his touch around the rim is cringe-worthy and seems to be at times an after-thought on offense. Although lately he's been playing better.

Drummond cannot make a free throw to save his life. He's basically the second-coming of DeAndre Jordan, with more ability.

Meanwhile Vally is putting up a solid 12/8 in 26 minutes, shooting 56% from the field get's about the same amount of blocks per game as Drummond and isn't a liability at the free-throw line and is much more talented at this point on offense 15 feet or closer.

In the end, I pick Vally because he doesn't hurt the team as much and he has the ability to play bother C and PF. Drummond is strictly a C.

Honestly, it's closer than people think. People see how Drummond jumps out the gym and the automatically fall in love with him. Or they see 13/13 and don't look past those numbers.

Fire Colangelo
02-08-2015, 07:42 PM
Drummond has more "upside" because he's more athletic. But let's not forget he has regressed from his previous year while Val has improved from last season.

Drummond is a rebounding machine, but he's far from a defensive monster. Offensively he'd be scary IF he learns to score, but he hasn't shown any improvements in that end, shooting below 50% this season, not to mention his inability to stay in close games due to foul trouble and shitty free throw shooting.

Genaro
02-08-2015, 07:44 PM
Give me Drummond. He is like DeAndre in the sense his defense is a bit overrated but I think he has much more potential to be very good in this league.

DukeDelonte13
02-08-2015, 08:49 PM
Jonas is a net negative on a winning team.

http://www.82games.com/1415/1415TOR.HTM

Coach yanks him often because he goes braindead pretty frequently.

I'm not saying Drummond is this huge upgrade over him, i just think jonas is overrated especially by cavs (still salty about TT) and raps fans.

coin24
02-08-2015, 08:55 PM
Drummond anyday

Rake2204
02-08-2015, 09:18 PM
Also, Drummond isn't exactly the greatest defender either. For someone so supremely physically gifted, and so hyped up as a potential defensive beast..he's really not that incredible on that end. He'll have games that flash his potential..but he hasn't put it together on a consistent basis to warrant the "elite" label, imo.This is on point. He's a rebounding monster and does other things well too, but I have not been blown away by his defense. He's capable of doing incredible things defensively but he currently lacks the will and wherewithal to be a big time stopper on a consistent basis. In fact, he especially seems to struggle against strong opposing big men who have a touch of skill (like Val, actually).

Nikola Pekovic went for 30+ against the Pistons tonight, largely against Greg Monroe, but still... porous.