PDA

View Full Version : Westbrook Vs Curry

Jlamb47
02-09-2015, 05:37 PM
Stats - PER 36

Curry - 25.6 PPG 8.6 APG 5.1 RPG 48%FG

Westbrook - 28.4 PPG 8.3 APG 6.9RPG 43%FG

Both players putting up some crazy stats, and both balling out this year. Arguably the top 2 PG in the NBA and some would say Curry is #1 and some would say Westbrook. Curry is leading the best team in the NBA but some would say OKC would be up there wihtout the injuries. Who would yal give the nod to? I chose Westbrook because i believe hes the hardest Pg to gaurd and because his defense is elite.

Foster5k
02-09-2015, 05:50 PM
I'm taking Westbrook. They both have very similar stats, so I'll take the more explosive player in Westbrook.

Westbrook is the superior athlete to Curry. If he can cut down on the bone headed plays, his game will be pretty much flawless.

I still don't trust Curry's ankles. Also, no matter how good of a shooter you are, sooner or later you're going to go cold. When Westbrook goes cold, he still can rely on his elite athletic ability to get buckets.

Nuff Said
02-09-2015, 05:55 PM
Damn Westbrook at 28 ppg. Beast mode. I'd take Westbrook over curry though I wouldn't be mad at either choice.

dubnation
02-09-2015, 05:57 PM
I'm taking Westbrook. They both have very similar stats, so I'll take the more explosive player in Westbrook.

Westbrook is the superior athlete to Curry. If he can cut down on the bone headed plays, his game will be pretty much flawless.

I still don't trust Curry's ankles. Also, no matter how good of a shooter you are, sooner or later you're going to go cold. When Westbrook goes cold, he still can rely on his elite athletic ability to get buckets.

:facepalm When is this myth that Curry is injury prone going to go away? It's absolutely stupid. If you were going to worry about injuries, you should be worrying more about Westbrook, a player who relies almost exclusively on athleticism and has had multiple knee injuries.

JohnMax
02-09-2015, 05:59 PM
Westbrook's Internet popularity to AllStar votes do not match

Badazzwriter
02-09-2015, 06:01 PM
Westbrook's Internet popularity to AllStar votes do not match
curry is popular? :wtf:

dubnation
02-09-2015, 06:03 PM
curry is popular? :wtf:

led the league in all-star votes...

swear half of you f**** are ignorant or straight retarded.

Crimsonrain777
02-09-2015, 06:04 PM
i'll have to go with Curry. he can score almost as easily as Westbrook and he's also the smarter pg of the 2

Mass Debator
02-09-2015, 06:09 PM
Switch places and the Thunder would be scary as hell. Curry + a way better Klay easily wins the chip.

All Net
02-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Curry for Me

Both great but curry would fit in any situation and he's a better pure PG.

Budadiiii
02-09-2015, 06:33 PM
Head to head in a playoff matchup? Give me Westbrook. You'll see why in April.

But honestly, Curry would probably fit better with Durant than Westbrook does. I mean, Durant/Westbrook just don't mesh. Both play better when the other is out.

Curry is a natural beta and would automatically defer to Durant and feed him easy baskets. He's a deadly shooter and Durant has insane court vision and abilities for a damn near 7 footer.

It's a really tough choice because with Westbrook you get a guy with insane athleticism + out of this world motor. He's the best athlete in the sport with the highest motor. Those two things have never been paired together in the history of sports. He's a once in a trillion athlete.

But Curry was born with athletic traits such as hand-eye coordination and dexterity, which makes him possibly the greatest shooter in history + great ball handling.

Head to head Westbrook will eat him alive 7 times out of 10. But outside of that I'd have to say Curry's game fits better with just about every team.

Genaro
02-09-2015, 06:34 PM
As I said before, they're on the same level. The thing that will matter is who fits better your team when you pick up one.
In a vacuum or starting a team I would go with Westbrook. He's the much better defender and rebounder, puts so much pressure on the defense with his drives (even when he misses the big normally gets the off rebound cause the center contested WB) and this season he's passing better with a great mid range game.

Demon Lizard
02-09-2015, 06:41 PM
I think a case can be made for either, but it is hard to say who is better because they both bring very different things to the table. It really comes down to fit. I feel that Curry would actually fit better with stacked teams, while Westbrook would be a better boost to mediocre or bad teams.

UK2K
02-09-2015, 06:44 PM
Either wouldn't surprise me, but Curry is my choice.

Its hard to argue with his efficiency. When you think about it, not only is he near the tops in damn near everything statistically, he's also extremely efficient at doing it.

I think Curry is the cog that holds that team together.

Durant can backpack OKC without Westbrook. He did it last season.

Budadiiii
02-09-2015, 06:45 PM
I think a case can be made for either, but it is hard to say who is better because they both bring very different things to the table. It really comes down to fit. I feel that Curry would actually fit better with stacked teams, while Westbrook would be a better boost to mediocre or bad teams.
And I agree with this. Curry better on a stacked team like GS, but Westbrook would milk more wins out of a mediocre team than Curry could.

Cowboy Thunder
02-09-2015, 11:25 PM
Head to head in a playoff matchup? Give me Westbrook. You'll see why in April.

Curry is a natural beta

All of this.

I.R.Beast
02-10-2015, 02:15 AM
i'll have to go with Curry. he can score almost as easily as Westbrook and he's also the smarter pg of the 2
Smarter of the 2...how so?... Curry's shot selection is deplorable...chucks a lot of bad 3s

LoneyROY7
02-10-2015, 02:21 AM
Smarter of the 2...how so?... Curry's shot selection is deplorable...chucks a lot of bad 3s

There are very few "bad 3s" when you have Curry's shooting stroke. Conversely, there are a lot of bad threes when you have Westbrooks' s shooting stroke.

IGOTGAME
02-10-2015, 02:24 AM
There are very few "bad 3s" when you have Curry's shooting stroke. Conversely, there are a lot of bad threes when you have Westbrooks' s shooting stroke.

Curry takes a ton of bad shots. They mess up tempo and it will matter more in the playoffs when things slow down. Those crossover fadeaway threes after 0 passes aren't good shots.

notatop29pg
02-10-2015, 02:30 AM
Westbrook is a very good momentum killer too.

I take Curry coz I think he can create better for others while still scoring as needed.

I.R.Beast
02-10-2015, 02:31 AM
I love steph Curry...he's 2 behind westbrook but for people to say westbrook is a low IQ player that makes "bonehead" plays when curry is as high of a turnover guy as any and takes more bad shots than any other pg makes no sense to me... He's a great shooter him making those shots doesnt make them not bad shots... when he's missing those in playoff games resulting in fastbreaks for the other team is when they will matter most.

navy
02-10-2015, 02:33 AM
Curry takes a ton of bad shots. They mess up tempo and it will matter more in the playoffs when things slow down. Those crossover fadeaway threes after 0 passes aren't good shots.
Release is so quick I dont think Ive ever seen Curry shoot a fadeaway.

I.R.Beast
02-10-2015, 02:34 AM
Westbrook is a very good momentum killer too.

I take Curry coz I think he can create better for others while still scoring as needed.
Create better for others?..really...there assist totals are fairly even despite curry being surrounded with more shooters.... westbrook's pentrate and kick/dish game is better than curry's.. CUrry's cross court passes are better than westbrook's..

Milbuck
02-10-2015, 02:35 AM
Westbrook is the better talent imo, Curry is the better player right now. At their absolute best I think Westbrook is a hair better, when he's in rage mode there's just nothing like him in the league..but Curry is less volatile, more steady, and a nightmare in his own right.

Honestly if I had the choice to build around one of them from scratch, it's Westbrook for me. I could easily fill out the roster with hard working, unselfish, tough, defensive minded players, and also a defensive minded coach..and let Westbrook have total control of everything offensively..and we could be a damn good team. I think the 2011 Bulls with current Westbrook in for Rose wins the championship. The only thing stopping them from winning was Rose's inexperience, not being able to handle the pressure of being the singular focus of the defense at all times, and obviously Lebron and Miami's trapping defense. Westbrook is absolutely unguardable and fearless..I think they'd win it all.

But if I already had a balanced roster with existing offensive weapons..I'd take Curry to top it off. He's better at feeling out the game and molding his game to suit the needs of the team. He has skills that are much more conducive to free-flowing team basketball, like his GOAT tier shooting ability and off-ball ability to harness it. People always call him a 2 guard playing the point..but imo he's really a true point guard capable of playing like a 2 when it's needed. And on a bad night for him he's less likely to force things and play out of control aggressively the way Westbrook sometimes does.

Graviton
02-10-2015, 02:38 AM
I think the 2011 Bulls with current Westbrook in for Rose wins the championship. The only thing stopping them from winning was Rose's inexperience, not being able to handle the pressure of being the singular focus of the defense at all times, and obviously Lebron and Miami's trapping defense. Westbrook is absolutely unguardable and fearless..I think they'd win it all.

:oldlol:

Westbrook wasn't gonna win shit with Keith Bogans as his starting 2 guard and garbage ass Boozer/Deng as his other offensive options. He could score 30 every game and Miami would still destroy them by just doubling him every possession. Maybe if he had Klay it would be possible.

IGOTGAME
02-10-2015, 02:41 AM

Westbrook wasn't gonna win shit with Keith Bogans as his starting 2 guard and garbage ass Boozer/Deng as his other offensive options. He could score 30 every game and Miami would still destroy them by just doubling him every possession. Maybe if he had Klay it would be possible.

Miami didnt double Rose. Lebron just put the clamps on him. I don't think Bron can do that to Westbrook. Heat still win tho

Graviton
02-10-2015, 02:43 AM
Miami didnt double Rose. Lebron just put the clamps on him. I don't think Bron can do that to Westbrook. Heat still win tho
They had Haslem ready in the paint, and Wade was there with his help defense too. It wasn't just Lebron, idk why he gets all the credit.

Milbuck
02-10-2015, 02:44 AM

Deng and Boozer were not garbage in 2011, or even close to it. They weren't elite 2nd, 3rd options but they were quality players.

And doubling doesn't matter that much with WB here. It's not like that's what killed Rose anyways. And Keith Bogans only played 19 mpg in the playoffs..if they find Miami doing that often, they could just as easily sub in Korver to play 2, with Deng at the 3. You double Westbrook and you're ****ed.

Current Westbrook imo is just a more explosive (not just physically, but in terms constant aggressiveness and intensity) player than 2011 Rose and he is just not getting locked up the way Rose was. They still might not win but I think they have a much, much better shot at it.

navy
02-10-2015, 02:45 AM
Westbrook was at 43% in the Finals including that 40 point outburst. I highly doubt he would have done shit by himself. Might have had a good game or two, but he would have forced the issue way too much. That's what he does.

Milbuck
02-10-2015, 02:48 AM
Westbrook was at 43% in the Finals including that 40 point outburst. I highly doubt he would have done shit by himself.
43% is still vastly better than Rose's ECF. And we're talking about current Westbrook, who is unquestionably a better player than 2012 Westbrook. Current Westbrook is surreal when he's on, and I think with a much better coach and an offense that allows his style of play to flourish more out of necessity (defensive minded supporting cast) than incompetent coaching..he would do just fine leading his own team.

Graviton
02-10-2015, 02:49 AM
Deng and Boozer were not garbage in 2011, or even close to it. They weren't elite 2nd, 3rd options but they were quality players.

And doubling doesn't matter that much with WB here. It's not like that's what killed Rose anyways. And Keith Bogans only played 19 mpg in the playoffs..if they find Miami doing that often, they could just as easily sub in Korver to play 2, with Deng at the 3. You double Westbrook and you're ****ed.

Current Westbrook imo is just a more explosive (not just physically, but in terms constant aggressiveness and intensity) player than 2011 Rose and he is just not getting locked up the way Rose was. They still might not win but I think they have a much, much better shot at it.
But they were garbage, especially in big moments when they had to step up. Stats may not reflect that but I watched those 2 beta ******* for years. If they are your 2nd/3rd option you are not going anywhere unless your name is Shaq or Jordan.

navy
02-10-2015, 02:54 AM
43% is still vastly better than Rose's ECF. And we're talking about current Westbrook, who is unquestionably a better player than 2012 Westbrook. Current Westbrook is surreal when he's on, and I think with a much better coach and an offense that allows his style of play to flourish more out of necessity (defensive minded supporting cast) than incompetent coaching..he would do just fine leading his own team.
Westbrook just got off a month of 38% shooting and is at 43% for the season. Yeah he will have games where he is on but he will have games where he is off as well. But by himself in playoffs vs one of the greatest perimeter defenses in recent times? I wouldnt count on it.

tpols
02-10-2015, 02:56 AM

They were garbage offensively against a super fast perimeter defense.. Luol Deng is a poor dribbler, and cant create, he can finish alright but he isnt going to make things happen on his own. Boozer is also one of the slowest awkwardest offensive players with that release form two feet behind his head and also has little creation ability.

He was straight garbage offensively against the Heat and got absolutely torched by Chris Bosh...

23ppg 68TS vs 14ppg 49TS.

It was a slaughter.. Bosh is actually quick and his midrange was auto. Boozer slow footed as hell no reaction speed for that defense.

Wait a minute *looks at username* I thought you were dmavs for a second.:lol

Milbuck
02-10-2015, 02:58 AM
But they were garbage, especially in big moments when they had to step up. Stats may not reflect that but I watched those 2 beta ******* for years. If they are your 2nd/3rd option you are not going anywhere unless your name is Shaq or Jordan.
It's not just about them being your 2nd or 3rd options...that Bulls team had a ton of toughness, they played hard, they rebounded, and they were an absolutely elite defense and that had nothing to do with Rose. Clowning their offensive weapons means very little because outside of Rose they were never built to be an offensive team, they were built to be an elite defensive and rebounding team..and that's what they were. And it got them 60+ wins and the ECF.

Boozer and Deng weren't great in the ECF, but they weren't no shows or garbage. Deng was at 17 ppg on 42% FG and Boozer 14/10 on 40% FG. They didn't shoot the best but...neither did Rose with his 35% from the field.

The average margin for Miami was +2.2 points in that 5 game series, and +8 in the 4 wins. It's not like they were blowing out Chicago every game. If Rose played like the MVP they had every shot of winning that series. But he got locked up by Lebron, and couldn't handle Miami's help defense.

And I'm saying Westbrook wouldn't have as much trouble. Westbrook right now is as close to unguardable as you can get, and his unreal aggressiveness and ferocity makes it even tougher. The guy isn't collapsing with Lebron on him the way Rose did, and I think Chicago makes it a much, much tougher series.

Also, Westbrook's defense under Thibs would be insane. People knock him for being reckless at times and gambling too much..but Westbrook at his best defensively is a nightmare, and in a disciplined defensive system, coached by Thibs..he could make that Chicago defense even nastier than it already was.

Graviton
02-10-2015, 03:00 AM
They were garbage offensively against a super fast perimeter defense.. Luol Deng is a poor dribbler, and cant create, he can finish alright but he isnt going to make things happen on his own. Boozer is also one of the slowest awkwardest offensive players with that release form two feet behind his head and also has little creation ability.

He was straight garbage offensively against the Heat and got absolutely torched by Chris Bosh...

It was a slaughter.. Bosh is actually quick and his midrange was auto. Boozer slow footed as hell no reaction speed for that defense.

Deng is the easiest matchup for Lebron, he ALWAYS goes off against him. Because Luoul has no idea how to guard him, he gives James too much space and lets him get comfortable and survey the floor, you are supposed to pressure Lebron and make him make quick decisions instead of letting him get in the flow.

And Boozer as you said is a slow stiff, Bosh was too quick for him and absolutely raped him. Doesn't help that Carlos is also softer than toilet paper.

Milbuck
02-10-2015, 03:01 AM

:oldlol: Yeah, very rarely do I get caught bringing down Rose...but I can't act like his performance in the ECF didn't significantly hurt the rest of the team.

But are we to act like Westbrook's mentality and style of play wouldn't have been infectious on that Bulls team? We talk about Rose being the driving force of that team, and when he's in trouble the team's in trouble..but I just cannot see Westbrook collapsing the way Rose did.

His intensity on both ends of the floor is something you just cannot contain, and I think it takes a ton of pressure off his teammates in a way Rose was not able to do in that series.

That Bulls team was built to have Rose as the primary creator of the offense...which is a role I think Westbrook would have no problem replicating, but the difference is I just cannot see him shrinking with Lebron guarding him. Which imo, completely changes the dynamic of that series.

tpols
02-10-2015, 03:12 AM
:oldlol: Yeah, very rarely do I get caught bringing down Rose...but I can't act like his performance in the ECF didn't significantly hurt the rest of the team.

But are we to act like Westbrook's mentality and style of play wouldn't have been infectious on that Bulls team? We talk about Rose being the driving force of that team, and when he's in trouble the team's in trouble..but I just cannot see Westbrook collapsing the way Rose did.

His intensity on both ends of the floor is something you just cannot contain, and I think it takes a ton of pressure off his teammates in a way Rose was not able to do in that series.

That Bulls team was built to have Rose as the primary creator of the offense...which is a role I think Westbrook would have no problem replicating, but the difference is I just cannot see him shrinking with Lebron guarding him. Which imo, completely changes the dynamic of that series.

Westbrook would be forced to do the same thing Rose did.. Lebron shadowing him with the whole defense ready to help on the drive.. With WB jacking 18-20 footers. He wouldnt have a KD to space the court for him and theres no way hes getting by lebron in that shadow mode because he wants a player like westbrook to shoot that.

Maybe hed make them, maybe not.. but I think hed tire out. We see that from westbrook, last year in OTs he shot like 10% or something if I remember correctly. And he had a lot of fourth quarter brick fests. Its tiring to be the only guy capable of dribbling against a great perimeter defense all game and with thibs that might as well be scott brooks as far as offense goes.Thats just imo

Milbuck
02-10-2015, 03:20 AM
Westbrook would be forced to do the same thing Rose did.. Lebron shadowing him with the whole defense ready to help on the drive.. With WB jacking 18-20 footers. He wouldnt have a KD to space the court for him and theres no way hes getting by lebron in that shadow mode because he wants a player like westbrook to shoot that.

Maybe hed make them, maybe not.. but I think hed tire out. We see that from westbrook, last year in OTs he shot like 10% or something if I remember correctly. And he had a lot of fourth quarter brick fests. Its tiring to be the only guy capable of dribbling against a great perimeter defense all game and with thibs that might as well be scott brooks as far as offense goes.Thats just imo
Yeah I'm not saying he'd torch the Heat or anything..but I think he'd sure as hell do a better job than Rose, I'd have an incredibly hard time believing he'd drop to 35% from the field on low volume (relative to his standards).. He'd have his own troubles driving but he's just stronger and more physically imposing than Rose, more power explosiveness than Rose. Rose was a master of exploiting defenses, but he's not the guy to try to bully and physically impose his will on the defenses that can form high resistance, the way Westbrook does. And as for spacing, again, he wouldn't have KD but that's when you play Korver bigger minutes and Deng isn't Rondo or anything.

And again, I think his defense is being understated here. His only flaws defensively would be worked on with Thibs and the Bulls..Rose wasn't terrible or anything, but Westbrook on that Bulls team could potentially be one of the best PG defenders ever.

All in all I think current Westbrook..makes it a more competitive series.

Inferno
02-10-2015, 03:23 AM
Curry for GSW

LiLharvard
02-10-2015, 03:25 AM
Yeah I'm not saying he'd torch the Heat or anything..but I think he'd sure as hell do a better job than Rose, I'd have an incredibly hard time believing he'd drop to 35% from the field on low volume (relative to his standards).. He'd have his own troubles driving but he's just stronger and more physically imposing than Rose, more power explosiveness than Rose. Rose was a master of exploiting defenses, but he's not the guy to try to bully and physically impose his will on the defenses that can form high resistance, the way Westbrook does. And as for spacing, again, he wouldn't have KD but that's when you play Korver bigger minutes and Deng isn't Rondo or anything.

And again, I think his defense is being understated here. His only flaws defensively would be worked on with Thibs and the Bulls..Rose wasn't terrible or anything, but Westbrook on that Bulls team could potentially be one of the best PG defenders ever.

All in all I think current Westbrook..makes it a more competitive series.

Westbrook is not human. He's had 3 Knee injuries and each time he comes back and produces even more godly video-game like stats.

TheBigVeto
02-10-2015, 03:38 AM
Curry because he's got a higher IQ.

Westbrook is just another example of keeping it real gone very wrong.

Graviton
02-10-2015, 03:39 AM
Westbrook is just another example of keeping it real gone very wrong.
That's the best description I have heard. :oldlol:

RRR3
02-10-2015, 04:37 AM

LEbron couldn't guard Westbrook.

bdreason
02-10-2015, 05:31 AM
Curry and Durant would be insane. :eek:

sundizz
02-10-2015, 06:26 AM

A more true statement has not been spoken on here recently. Sometimes I go on ISH and shake my head (like CavsFTL posting about Shaq's rebounding). This level headed assessment keeps me going.

Westbrook is a workhorse and a beast and would definitely help a bad or mediocre team because he brings that insanity and energy (and skill and production) every night. However, he detracts from a team based game quite a bit. He is somewhat of an all or nothing player when it comes to a team's offense. Durant shouldn't be relegated to a spot up shooter when he is on the floor. This is partly to blame on their stupid coach too though. They need to a run a better motion offense to get Durant the ball way more often and in way better positions.

At it stands though, Curry >> on a stacked team and Westbrook >> on a mediocre team.

You could literally replace Curry with the pg for any of the 5 contenders and he makes them the title favorite or close to it: Cavs, Memphis, OKC, Spurs, Hawks.

All Net
02-10-2015, 06:58 AM
Curry and Durant would be insane. :eek:
Would be scary..you couldn't leave curry for a sec.

dunksby
02-10-2015, 07:34 AM
Westbrook for me because he plays both ways, it's close though, I wouldn't blame those who'd take Curry.

RoundMoundOfReb
02-10-2015, 08:11 AM
Curry