PDA

View Full Version : Why is the NBA 3 point line so far back?

tgan3
02-09-2015, 11:04 PM
Why can't it be FIBA distance? I think FIBA distance is perfect, 22 feet throughout. The 3 point is a weapon but it is a double edged sword, if the team is hot, they can score like 50% on threes made and it will be demoralizing for the opponent, yet it is inevitable there will be days that even the best shooters go 1-8 or something like that.

You see NBA shooters raining 3's like nothing, but if you actually get a ball and try it from NBA distance it is really far and a difficult shot, especially when someone is trying to stop you. If high school teams were to adopt the NBA line, they will likely make 1 out of 10 in game and it will be a super bad efficiency shot.

If you look at the NBA shot chart anyway, the top of the key threes are really low percentage like 25%, while corners are like 40%. So why not bring the top of the key line closer? Make the 3 point percentages asymmetrical?

SugarHill
02-09-2015, 11:04 PM
Dude's like Durant and Melo would average 50 PPG

Bay Area Baller
02-09-2015, 11:41 PM
Splash bros too good

Budadiiii
02-09-2015, 11:43 PM
They don't want Durant to surpass Jordan.

He'll do it regardless though.

Durant would average 180 points if the NBA line was only 21 feet. That's a free throw for him.

bigt
02-09-2015, 11:50 PM
There's a reason NBA players are the best in the world and are getting paid to play while people like us aren't. Makes you appreciate just how good guys like Korver and Steph are at shooting

Nuff Said
02-09-2015, 11:53 PM
The nba already killing the three point line breaking records with threes and shit. You gotta be kidding.

ralph_i_el
02-09-2015, 11:59 PM
If they shortened the line then teams would shoot nothing but 3's.

If anything, they need to widen the court and make the three point line the same distance all around. Get rid of the short corner 3

Genaro
02-10-2015, 12:02 AM
It's suppose to be a hard shot since it worthy more. Plus, we're talking about the greatest players in the world and some of them shoot 3s like nothing with the line as it is.

tgan3
02-10-2015, 12:03 AM
The nba already killing the three point line breaking records with threes and shit. You gotta be kidding.

bringing the line closer doesn't necessary mean the 3's will be much easier. For one, the defense can recover and close out on you faster as opposed to the longer 3 when you drive and kick out the ball it is almost always an open ball.

Also, the whole world is using the shorter line besides the NBA, so I don't see whats wrong. The record breaking stuff is expected as this is the generation that grew up and trained with the 3 point line. This is akin to saying Lebron is breaking all the youngest to -how many points- record, should the hoop become smaller then?

ralph_i_el
02-10-2015, 12:13 AM
bringing the line closer doesn't necessary mean the 3's will be much easier. For one, the defense can recover and close out on you faster as opposed to the longer 3 when you drive and kick out the ball it is almost always an open ball.

Also, the whole world is using the shorter line besides the NBA, so I don't see whats wrong. The record breaking stuff is expected as this is the generation that grew up and trained with the 3 point line. This is akin to saying Lebron is breaking all the youngest to -how many points- record, should the hoop become smaller then?

They shortened the line for two season, and everyone's %'s went up and a bunch of 3 point records were broken. So yeah, it does mean they'll be easier. Moving the line in doesn't mean guys still can't stand out as far as they want, it just means they'll be getting 3 points for closer shots.

DJ Leon Smith
02-10-2015, 03:56 AM
Also, NBA players are bigger and faster than other leagues. The line being further out creates better spacing.

IGOTGAME
02-10-2015, 03:58 AM
not that hard of a shot. you just aren't used to it. Where I play there is only an NBA 3 point line and everyone has adjusted. Many games are dominated by the 3 point shot.

tgan3
02-10-2015, 05:27 AM
not that hard of a shot. you just aren't used to it. Where I play there is only an NBA 3 point line and everyone has adjusted. Many games are dominated by the 3 point shot.

Maybe im not used to shooting NBA 3's.

But the 3 point becomes overrated at times imo. Yes it can be good when you are feeling hot, but then again it has a huge variance factor and some days (No matter how good a shooter you are), you are bound to miss alot.

Also people forget that points in the paint would lead to many freethrows, with the ability to be in the bonus and foul out the opposing player, an AND1 is an even better play than a 3.

UK2K
02-10-2015, 05:39 AM
Its really not hard to make an NBA 3 pointer. I'm a terrible shooter, but it doesn't take much effort to get it there.

If you moved it to 25 feet, people would still practice it. And then get good at it.

And then it'd be like anything else.

theaussieguy
02-10-2015, 05:49 AM
Its really not hard to make an NBA 3 pointer. I'm a terrible shooter, but it doesn't take much effort to get it there.

If you moved it to 25 feet, people would still practice it. And then get good at it.

And then it'd be like anything else.

a bit like how i got really good at ****ing yo momma phorreal

SpanishACB
02-10-2015, 08:56 AM
they're easier in the NBA because good shooters get used to whatever distance.
However, the spacing it provides means they're less contested in the NBA,

HylianNightmare
02-10-2015, 09:40 AM
They need to extend the line