PDA

View Full Version : Mitch McGary - Most skilled offensive big man OKC's ever had

SOD 21
02-10-2015, 12:43 PM
After watching Mitch McGary in the summer league and now his first couple of games in the NBA, admittedly a small sample size, it is clear that he is the most complete offensive big man that Oklahoma City has ever had. I realize that this is akin to winning an ugly baby contest, but he brings something that Oklahoma City has lacked.

He is a big man that has a nice midrange game, has a good pump fake and with one or two dribbles can effectively drive to the rim, he can finish with either hand, has good handles, can finish through contact, has a high basketball IQ, is an effective offensive rebounder and routinely beats opposing big men for easy transition baskets. I can also tell that he will never be a good defensive player either, but that is another subject.

Serge is a better shooter with more range but doesn't have the overall skillset offensively that Mitch does. Adams is just a far more athletic and productive version of Perkins on offense. Nick Collison doesn't have the physical athleticism and overall offensive game. Nenad Krstic had a nice mid range game but could do nothing else. Jeff Green played power forward but played out of position and can impact the game inside like McGary can.

It is probably sad to say this… But he is the best big man offensively with a complete skill set that they've ever had. Sad, but true. If I am wrong, who else comes close?

But can the kids stay healthy?

Thunder_Up
02-10-2015, 12:49 PM
I'm curious, what makes you say he will never be a good defender? I mean, if he is physical enough to fight through contact and is a good offensive rebounder it would seem that he has the physical skills to be a good defender but needs to learn the system. With both Collison and Perk around he has plenty of opportunities to learn from some solid defensive vets.

SOD 21
02-10-2015, 12:56 PM
I'm curious, what makes you say he will never be a good defender? I mean, if he is physical enough to fight through contact and is a good offensive rebounder it would seem that he has the physical skills to be a good defender but needs to learn the system. With both Collison and Perk around he has plenty of opportunities to learn from some solid defensive vets.

He can become a good team defender by knowing the angles to play and learning how to rotate over better within a team concept, learning how to play the pick and roll, which he will undoubtably do.

But I believe he lacks the lateral quickness to stay in front of better offensive players and that he lacks the leaping ability to challenge shots around the rim. I am also curious how he'll do against more physical big man, like the game coming up against Memphis, to see if he has the strength against players like Randolph or Gasol.

But I also believe that he is skilled enough offensively with what he brings to the table that his positives will definitely outweigh the negatives. He can become a solid defensive player just by rotating over properly, getting stronger and being in proper position. He just will never have the lateral quickness to stay in front of some of the more agile big men or be able to offer much rim protection.

At least that is how I see it, in one man's humble opinion.

morbius
02-10-2015, 02:14 PM
Too small sample size, he just caught opponents off guard. Let's see how he does when they are ready for him.

senelcoolidge
02-10-2015, 02:42 PM
I think his best asset is that he's a high energy guy. You can tell that he doesn't have a good back by the way he runs up and down the court. I felt that he wouldn't have a long NBA career, not because he can't play but because of injuries.

Lexington Steel
02-10-2015, 02:43 PM
David Lee 2.0 baby. :applause: Still has potential to be a much better defender than Lee too.

We stay winning.

Fire Colangelo
02-10-2015, 03:14 PM
According OKC fans:

Westbrook - Best PG in the league
Andre Robertson - Best wing defender in the league
Kevin Durant - Best player in the league
Dion Waiters - James Harden with better defense
Steven Adams - Best hustle player/trash talker in the league
Mitch McGary - Most skilled offensive big man in OKC

jesus, stop overreacting.

SOD 21
02-10-2015, 03:16 PM
I think his best asset is that he's a high energy guy. You can tell that he doesn't have a good back by the way he runs up and down the court. I felt that he wouldn't have a long NBA career, not because he can't play but because of injuries.

You're right that he runs very upright and somewhat unnatural, which is probably the result of his back injury and previous surgery. His long-term health is really the biggest question about him.

There have also been additional injury concerns this year with a broken foot in the preseason and shinsplints that have kept him out most of the season until now. I definitely have to concerns about his ability to stay healthy long-term.

But if he does stay healthy, there's no question he can help Oklahoma City.

SOD 21
02-10-2015, 03:19 PM
Too small sample size, he just caught opponents off guard. Let's see how he does when they are ready for him.

This is admittedly true.

Although, I am not really basing my opinion from his 18 points and 10 rebounds that he has averaged the last two games. It is really based on his skill set that should translate well to him adapting well as a productive NBA player.

I expect him to get exposed as a defensive player and it will be interesting to see how he does tomorrow against Memphis with their beefy front line.

SOD 21
02-10-2015, 03:25 PM
According OKC fans:

1. Russell Westbrook could quite possibly be the best point guard in the league and is no worse then second-best behind Curry. He does have the second highest PER in the league and per 36 minutes he averages over 28 points, seven rebounds and 8 1/2 assists.

2. Roberson is an above average perimeter defender that still has a long ways to go on defense and holds opposing SG/SF to a PER of 11.3. He could also be the worst offensive perimeter player in the league.

3. It isn't an outrageous opinion that Kevin Durant could be the best player in the league since he averaged 35 points, eight rebounds and nearly 6 assists without Russell Westbrook last year and won MVP. I still have LeBron as better and Durrant as number two.

4. Waiters - anyone suggesting that he could be anywhere close to James Harden even when he was with Oklahoma City is on crack. He is way too inconsistent and also isn't the playmaker that James Harden was with them.

5. Steven Adams is a promising young center that is a significant upgrade over Kendrick Perkins at center but who is still very raw. I do see solid improvement and he is an important part of this team's future.

6. Mitch McGary - If I am wrong about Mitch McGary and him being the most complete offensive bigman that this team has had since being in Oklahoma, then tell me who was better from the power/center position?

masonanddixon
02-10-2015, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=SOD 21]After watching Mitch McGary in the summer league and now his first couple of games in the NBA, admittedly a small sample size, it is clear that he is the most complete offensive big man that Oklahoma City has ever had. I realize that this is akin to winning an ugly baby contest, but he brings something that Oklahoma City has lacked.

He is a big man that has a nice midrange game, has a good pump fake and with one or two dribbles can effectively drive to the rim, he can finish with either hand, has good handles, can finish through contact, has a high basketball IQ, is an effective offensive rebounder and routinely beats opposing big men for easy transition baskets. I can also tell that he will never be a good defensive player either, but that is another subject.

Serge is a better shooter with more range but doesn't have the overall skillset offensively that Mitch does. Adams is just a far more athletic and productive version of Perkins on offense. Nick Collison doesn't have the physical athleticism and overall offensive game. Nenad Krstic had a nice mid range game but could do nothing else. Jeff Green played power forward but played out of position and can impact the game inside like McGary can.

It is probably sad to say this

ShawkFactory
02-10-2015, 08:23 PM
According OKC fans:

Bingo.

I've heard Steven Adams referred to as a "dominant big" :oldlol:

24-Inch_Chrome
02-10-2015, 08:25 PM
According OKC fans:

First and last arguments are the only ones that are viable. The middle is a disaster.

Lexington Steel
02-10-2015, 08:26 PM
According OKC fans:

Westbrook - Correct
Roberson - Arguable, though not as far fetched as your dumbass makes it seem.
Durant - Correct
Waiters - Wrong
Adams - Again, arguable. Personally, i'd be leaning towards correct.
McGary - Correct

:hammerhead:

Now be a good little boy and put your helmet back on, tardo.

G-train
02-10-2015, 08:31 PM
What about Shawn Kemp?

Budadiiii
02-10-2015, 08:35 PM
Its funny how upset it makes people that OKC won the Harden trade. They just can't get over it.

Houston will be stuck with a guy who will never even make a WCF, and he has the best C in the league with him.

OKC got a starting front line, trade assets, cash, cap space, and dumped off a choker who average 12 points in the finals.

OKC stays winning as usual.

Lebronxrings
02-10-2015, 08:51 PM
Westbrook - Correct
Durant - Correct
Waiters - Wrong
McGary - Correct

in that case, okc has no excuses for not winning a championship.

24-Inch_Chrome
02-10-2015, 08:52 PM
Its funny how upset it makes people that OKC won the Harden trade. They just can't get over it.

Houston will be stuck with a guy who will never even make a WCF, and he has the best C in the league with him.

OKC got a starting front line, trade assets, cash, cap space, and dumped off a choker who average 12 points in the finals.

No excuses.

Lexington Steel
02-10-2015, 08:54 PM
in that case, okc has no excuses for not winning a championship.
Injuries, little boy. Legit excuses. :no:

ShawkFactory
02-10-2015, 08:57 PM

What have they won exactly?

Lexington Steel
02-10-2015, 08:59 PM
What have they won exactly?
We stay winning, period.

ShawkFactory
02-10-2015, 09:03 PM
We stay winning, period.
I see...

You guys are the kings of self-therapy. I'm jealous.

Lexington Steel
02-10-2015, 09:05 PM
I see...

You guys are the kings of self-therapy. I'm jealous.
Winning, we stay.

ShawkFactory
02-10-2015, 09:06 PM
Winning, we stay.
:cheers:

Lebronxrings
02-10-2015, 09:16 PM
Injuries, little boy. Legit excuses. :no:
majority of your team is healthy right now. Only 1 game back of the playoffs and yall thunder fans already making excuses. :facepalm

Fire Colangelo
02-10-2015, 09:36 PM
Westbrook - Correct
Durant - Correct
Waiters - Wrong
McGary - Correct

so where are all the excuses coming from?

16-9 since the best PG and the best player in the league returned from injury

TheBigVeto
02-10-2015, 10:29 PM

So he's a bigger Jeremy Lin then.

Lexington Steel
02-10-2015, 10:37 PM
so where are all the excuses coming from?

16-9 since the best PG and the best player in the league returned from injury
Implying that isn't good despite the on and off presence of Durant all year. :oldlol:

Fire Colangelo
02-10-2015, 11:48 PM
Implying that isn't good despite the on and off presence of Durant all year. :oldlol:

Kinda sucks considering you got:

Best pg in the league
Best player in the league

among other decent players like Adams, McGary, Roberson, Jackson, Ibaka, etc whom you guys prop every time they have a decent game.

Then you got retards still thinking they got the better end of the deal from the Harden trade.

:oldlol: