PDA

View Full Version : Meet the people who have volunteered to die on Mars

$LakerGold
02-10-2015, 08:45 PM
Video: http://boingboing.net/2015/02/09/meet-the-people-whove-volunt.html

http://www.rutgersprep.org/kendall/7thgrade/mars_rover/08_sp/mars-planet.jpghttp://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/31100000/surface-of-mars-planets-31157883-1024-768.jpg
http://www.dailygalaxy.com/.a/6a00d8341bf7f753ef01a51108bd6c970c-pi

What you’ll have to live without:

Sex. Colonists will be discouraged from intercourse because supplies won’t support the arrival of a space baby.
Beer. Sorry, carbonated beverages won’t survive the low atmospheric pressure of Mars.
Grass fed venison burgers with black truffle oil and chopped prosciutto. And any other food that can’t be freeze-dried.
Your loved ones. You think Skype on earth is annoying? Wait until you’re 35 million miles away.
Your 2026 World Cup tickets.

What you’ll need:

Curiosity. Thinking about all those schools and post offices that will be named after you may not be enough to sustain your sense of mission. To avoid the extreme loneliness I’ll call the Matt Damon syndrome, a future Mars colonist will have to possess a true fascination with the unknown.
A tablet with plenty of books, including Travis Taylor's Introduction to Rocket Science and Engineering and perhaps, How To Win at Bridge
Healthy self-esteem. There are no mirrors in space.
Meat glue, aka transglutaminase, to turn the pre-fab protein they serve up there into a real meal.
Your friend’s HBOGo password for finally catching up on The Wire.
Scotch.
Condoms. Because who are we kidding? You’re really going to pass up space sex?

StephHamann
02-10-2015, 08:55 PM
So a white nerd, a muslim women and a black guy

why not a tranny? racists

LiLharvard
02-11-2015, 12:52 AM
Why not simply get a vasectomy?

Condoms?
Contraceptive Pill?

I'm really struggling here.

CavaliersFTW
02-11-2015, 01:57 AM
I would be terrified to catch some sort isolation induced deep space madness. Such extreme isolation. You'd literally be the loneliest person to EVER exist. No historic or prehistoric human was ever so far away from other people. Not even the men that went to the moon, which took the most powerful rocket that to his day has ever been designed/made/flown, were even one tiny fraction the distance you'd be from other people on earth. And they at least had a round trip, they were gone for 3 ****ing days. To spend the rest of your life on ice cold lifeless Mars with no human contact. Damn.

Heck with people actually... you'd be the only lifeform on mars other than the bacteria and germs you brought with you that live in your gut, mucus, and would feed off your feces and dead skin. The most sterile room in a hospital is infinitely less sterile than the entire planet of Mars. Heck I'm not even sure I could endure the estimated 4 year journey it would take to get there. **** all that.

Batzman
02-11-2015, 02:10 AM

Condoms?
Contraceptive Pill?

The article says you'll need:

[QUOTE]Condoms. Because who are we kidding? You

Draz
02-11-2015, 02:23 AM
I want to die on Mars

rezznor
02-11-2015, 02:35 AM
not much different from early explorers who just got on a boat and sailed towards the horizon really..brave souls heading into the unknown (except i guess in the case of mars they have a good idea of what they are getting into)

RoseCity07
02-11-2015, 02:41 AM
I was reading about how on day humans might be able to build up the atmosphere of Mars. Eventually when there is sufficient atmosphere they could start fill the planet with with plant life.

That would be something to see.

Swaggin916
02-11-2015, 02:52 AM
I was reading about how on day humans might be able to build up the atmosphere of Mars. Eventually when there is sufficient atmosphere they could start fill the planet with with plant life.

That would be something to see.

And how did they say they could do that? Everything would have to be in a controlled environment at first powered by humans because nothing could survive the nights on Mars. It would be one expensive project.

bigkingsfan
02-11-2015, 02:52 AM
They won't leave without cyanide pills.

kNIOKAS
02-11-2015, 03:30 AM
So they're sending lunatics :lol

It must be well-calculated... What one can remember from books like Sphere or Andromeda Strain, people that get picked up for such mission may have to be very normal ones, so that their reactions could be predicted. This is going the other way, but maybe that's still correct, in some strange way.

RoseCity07
02-11-2015, 06:04 AM
And how did they say they could do that? Everything would have to be in a controlled environment at first powered by humans because nothing could survive the nights on Mars. It would be one expensive project.

It's called terraforming. Building factories on Mars that produce greenhouse gases. Raise the temp of Mars, oxygenate the planet.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/terraforming2.htm

Meticode
02-11-2015, 06:41 AM
Terra-forming on Mars is a waste of time in the situation of sustaining it. Since Mars' core is pretty much almost solid, or the core is pretty small now, there is basically no electromagnetic field to shield the atmosphere from solar radiation. A lot of it would be lost into space.

Only reason for doing it is to see if it's possible to do it just for experimental reasons.

DukeDelonte13
02-11-2015, 10:47 AM
this mars one has only raised like 1 million dollars. they need about 199 million more to just send an orbiter to mars.

Draz
02-11-2015, 11:43 AM
To think of the psychological effects this will have on human beings living in this generation is amazing. How can one go without communication when communication is what we've been striving on for the past several years every day. We're conditioned to communicate with others even when we aren't. Hence body language, the avatars we create on game, social networks, profile pictures, etc.

Isolating someone without human contact in general just for the distance alone will make someone go compete insane. Aside from communication what about cravings? For sex or even food.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to send prisoners who are on death row?

Velocirap31
02-11-2015, 12:04 PM
To think of the psychological effects this will have on human beings living in this generation is amazing. How can one go without communication when communication is what we've been striving on for the past several years every day. We're conditioned to communicate with others even when we aren't. Hence body language, the avatars we create on game, social networks, profile pictures, etc.

Isolating someone without human contact in general just for the distance alone will make someone go compete insane. Aside from communication what about cravings? For sex or even food.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to send prisoners who are on death row?

They want them to do research and learn, not kill each other.

DonD13
02-12-2015, 04:11 AM
garbage article :facepalm

Chizdog
02-12-2015, 08:57 AM
Sex is not allowed but you need to bring condoms? What?

$LakerGold
02-12-2015, 02:08 PM
Sex is not allowed but you need to bring condoms? What?
Rules are meant to be broken.

StephHamann
03-09-2015, 05:14 PM
So a white nerd, a muslim women and a black guy

why not a tranny? racists

Meet Melissa Ede, a transgender taxi driver and a successful applicant to the Mars One project

http://www.vice.com/video/mars-one-melissa-ede?utm_source=vicetwitterus

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

MavsSuperFan
03-09-2015, 09:08 PM
they will never go. the project will never find the funding

ace23
03-09-2015, 09:32 PM
Meet Melissa Ede, a transgender taxi driver and a successful applicant to the Mars One project

http://www.vice.com/video/mars-one-melissa-ede?utm_source=vicetwitterus

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Lol

With over 1000 people going, there are bound to be some trannies.

DeuceWallaces
03-09-2015, 09:52 PM
I'd do it, no question. I volunteered for a NASA study a few years ago, not this though.

I hate to say it though, but there's a good chance of someone getting raped up there at some point.

:oldlol: For whatever reason I find it hilarious that this was one of your first thoughts.

Although, maybe you intend to do the raping. The High Chancellor of Mars: ProfessorRape.

The Iron Sheik
03-09-2015, 10:11 PM
I would be terrified to catch some sort isolation induced deep space madness. Such extreme isolation. You'd literally be the loneliest person to EVER exist. No historic or prehistoric human was ever so far away from other people. Not even the men that went to the moon, which took the most powerful rocket that to his day has ever been designed/made/flown, were even one tiny fraction the distance you'd be from other people on earth. And they at least had a round trip, they were gone for 3 ****ing days. To spend the rest of your life on ice cold lifeless Mars with no human contact. Damn.

Heck with people actually... you'd be the only lifeform on mars other than the bacteria and germs you brought with you that live in your gut, mucus, and would feed off your feces and dead skin. The most sterile room in a hospital is infinitely less sterile than the entire planet of Mars. Heck I'm not even sure I could endure the estimated 4 year journey it would take to get there. **** all that.

they'll die long before they have the chance to be lonely

outbreak
03-09-2015, 10:14 PM
I'd volunteer for that but I don't want to go all the way to mars.

I<3NBA
03-12-2015, 07:27 AM
i'd volunteer, seriously.

i can survive years without human contact or conversation.

seriously. i think surviving daily would occupy the time of anyone going there they'd seriously have no time to think about anything else. 5 years can pass by so quickly.

Knicks101
03-12-2015, 08:02 AM

Condoms?
Contraceptive Pill?

Or the old reliable pull out method.