PDA

View Full Version : Dpoy...?

fpliii
02-10-2015, 11:02 PM
Does Duncan have a shot? SA is the number two defense in the league, and even though he IMO is a worthy candidate, he might get support in the lifetime achievement sense.

On the other hand, Golden State has multiple players who could win (and I'd have no problem with this). Might cannibalize one another though (then again, so could Duncan/Leonard).

Who else is in the conversation? Gasol/Allen from Memphis? Portland and Milwaukee are also top 5 defensively (along with GSW, SAS, MEM).

Prime_Shaq
02-10-2015, 11:04 PM
Andrew Bogut. Him being in or out of the lineup means a world of difference defensively for the dubs. I'm sure many Warrior fans would agree. Some will bring up the Warriors record when Bogut is out but just watching them you can see the difference Bogut makes. Bogut is the difference between an early exit or a championship for the Warriors.

ShawkFactory
02-10-2015, 11:07 PM
The fact that he's never won helps, and he's clearly still one of the more impactful big men in the league, but I still don't see it. That is unless the Spurs make a huge run in the second half.

Right now I'd give it to either Gasol or Bogut.

ProfessorMurder
02-10-2015, 11:10 PM
I'd like a perimeter guy to get it since no bigs are really destroying anyone. Memphis is 4th in DRTG, and holds teams to the lowest PPG.

Tony Allen would be nice.

I could see Duncan getting it.

Marc Gasol has a shot but his defense hasn't been as good this year in my opinion.

Bogut has been hurt a lot and they didn't exactly lose games without his presence.

I feel like Draymond will get some votes.

Kawhi has missed a lot of time.

Magic731
02-10-2015, 11:16 PM
Bogut should get it. He anchors that team defensively.

RoundMoundOfReb
LeBron James.

Droid101
Bogut not close.

Would also accept Tony Allen not close.

Either way it's not close.

fpliii
02-10-2015, 11:18 PM
Bogut not close.

Bogut would be clear-cut, if not for missed games IMO. I think he's missed 14 so far?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/dpoy.html

Assuming he doesn't miss any more games, would be tied for the fewest played in a non-lockout season with the Admiral.

ProfessorMurder
02-10-2015, 11:20 PM
Bogut not close.

:oldlol:

T_L_P
02-10-2015, 11:45 PM
Bogut or Duncan.

A wing doesn't impact the game defensively nearly as much as those two.

I'd probably lean towards Bogut.

SugarHill
02-10-2015, 11:45 PM
Bogut not close.

:roll:

Heavincent
02-10-2015, 11:52 PM
Bogut or Duncan.

A wing doesn't impact the game defensively nearly as much as those two.

I'd probably lean towards Bogut.

Perimeter defense is the most underrated skill there is.

The Warriors became an elite defensive team when they got Iggy. I think they went from 13th to 3rd or something like that. Bogut is their most impactful defender, but Green and Iggy honestly aren't that far behind.

Lebronxrings
02-10-2015, 11:52 PM
theres a couple, take ur pick

bogut
lebron
duncan
green
lebron
allen
butler
roberson
marc gasol

24-Inch_Chrome
02-10-2015, 11:55 PM
Not sure why LeBron is being mentioned here? Everything I've seen this season has led me to believe that he's been coasting defensively..

Heavincent
02-10-2015, 11:57 PM
Not sure why LeBron is being mentioned here? Everything I've seen this season has led me to believe that he's been coasting defensively..

Only the most die hard Lebron stans mention him as a legit candidate. Happens every year.

Prime_Shaq
02-10-2015, 11:59 PM
theres a couple, take ur pick

bogut
lebron
duncan
green
lebron
allen
butler
roberson
marc gasol
:roll:

DatAsh
02-11-2015, 12:05 AM
Would be really cool to see Duncan win. Seeing that the Spurs are the second best defense in the league, he should definitely be in the conversation.

T_L_P
02-11-2015, 12:08 AM
Perimeter defense is the most underrated skill there is.

The Warriors became an elite defensive team when they got Iggy. I think they went from 13th to 3rd or something like that. Bogut is their most impactful defender, but Green and Iggy honestly aren't that far behind.

I agree that perimeter defense is a very crucial element. But unless it is being backed a traditional anchor (not necessarily a shot blocker), it will be really strained.

Just look at the 2011-14 Heat. No defensive anchor, just principles, teamwork, and a bunch of good-to-great perimeter defenders (LeBron and Wade when they tried, past-his-prime Battier). But it got exposed a lot of the time.

Unless you're a 6-9 freak who can cover multiple positions and communicate exceptionally well, it's unlikely that you'll be able to match the defensive impact of guys like Bogut, Duncan, Gasol (though his defense hasn't been as good as it has in recent years), etc. They have the ability (by default) to guard their man and the area of the floor where most attempts are made, and because they are furthest back, they are the ones who communicate to their teammates.

If the DPOY were contextualised per position, a wing would/should win it most of the time. Great wing defenders are better at their jobs than great rim protectors, yet the bigs are still more valuable.

I've been watching the NBA a while now, and the most outstanding defenders I've seen live are AK47, Payton (who was just exiting his prime when I saw him), and Doug Christie. But those guys (even peak Kirilenko, the best non PF-C defender I've ever seen) still couldn't match what Duncan/Garnett/Robinson/Wallace/Mutomobo did defensively, even though they were more refined in their roles.

Draymond is an odd case because he can D up post players very well. I don't really consider him a perimeter defender. :confusedshrug:

Hittin_Shots
02-11-2015, 12:13 AM
Hawks five got it on lock.taking out 'll the awards this year, how can anyone else compete against the impact of the five of them

The Red Viper
02-11-2015, 12:17 AM
Currently, Andrew Bogut. But if he misses more games, I can see Tim Duncan getting it. Would be a deserved winner.

Heavincent
02-11-2015, 12:17 AM
I agree that perimeter defense is a very crucial element. But unless it is being backed a traditional anchor (not necessarily a shot blocker), it will be really strained.

Just look at the 2011-14 Heat. No defensive anchor, just principles, teamwork, and a bunch of good-to-great perimeter defenders (LeBron and Wade when they tried, past-his-prime Battier). But it got exposed a lot of the time.

Unless you're a 6-9 freak who can cover multiple positions and communicate exceptionally well, it's unlikely that you'll be able to match the defensive impact of guys like Bogut, Duncan, Gasol (though his defense hasn't been as good as it has in recent years), etc. They have the ability (by default) to guard their man and the area of the floor where most attempts are made, and because they are furthest back, they are the ones who communicate to their teammates.

If the DPOY were contextualised per position, a wing would/should win it most of the time. Great wing defenders are better at their jobs than great rim protectors, yet the bigs are still more valuable.

I've been watching the NBA a while now, and the most outstanding defenders I've seen live are AK47, Payton (who was just exiting his prime when I saw him), and Doug Christie. But those guys (even peak Kirilenko, the best non PF-C defender I've ever seen) still couldn't match what Duncan/Garnett/Robinson/Wallace/Mutomobo did defensively, even though they were more refined in their roles.

Draymond is an odd case because he can D up post players very well. I don't really consider him a perimeter defender. :confusedshrug:

Draymond can legitimately guard all 5 positions AND protect the rim...not exaggerating. The more I think about it, the more I think he might actually be just as valuable as Bogut. I've seen him put put the clamps down on CP3 and Blake Griffin in the same game. Also saw him block the shit out of Westbrook twice, and then check Durant on the perimeter. The guy is insane.

This is a stat from earlier in the year:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6wiTqOCUAEfO_j.jpg

RoundMoundOfReb
02-11-2015, 12:18 AM
Currently, Andrew Bogut. But if he misses more games, I can see Tim Duncan getting it. Would be a deserved winner.
Cool name and in all seriousness: I agree. DPOY should almost always be a big man...they just have way more impact defensively.

1) Bogut
2) Duncan
3) Gasol

And maybe Draymond 4th.

Suguru101
02-11-2015, 12:23 AM

Dude, the 2011-13 Heat had some of the best defenses of the past decade. The 2011 and the 2012 team in particular played suffocating, turn-over creating defense at a level that hadn't been seen in a while.

Bad example.

supernova5912
02-11-2015, 12:39 AM
Andrew Bogut is literally the defensive anchor for the Warriors despite playing under 25 minutes. Warriors are 32-4 with him and 9-5 without him. :bowdown:

Castor Troy
02-11-2015, 02:43 AM
the mere fact that Duncan is in this conversation at his age is credit to the great man :rockon:

pauk
02-11-2015, 03:03 AM
This is the very first season of all the years watching NBA where i dont have a clue who might win or who really deserves to win DPOY.... cant think of a single player... I know who might be the best defensive player in the league (Anthony Davis), but i dont think he might win it considering the DPOY criteria...

So because it must end up somewhere it will probably end up in some random big guys hands who just so happened to be on one of the teams who has the best records...

kamil
02-11-2015, 03:11 AM

He's not coasting... he's just not that great of a defender.

Smoke117
02-11-2015, 03:20 AM
I'd like a perimeter guy to get it since no bigs are really destroying anyone. Memphis is 4th in DRTG, and holds teams to the lowest PPG.

Tony Allen would be nice.

I could see Duncan getting it.

Marc Gasol has a shot but his defense hasn't been as good this year in my opinion.

Bogut has been hurt a lot and they didn't exactly lose games without his presence.

I feel like Draymond will get some votes.

Kawhi has missed a lot of time.

Why would Tony Allen get it over Marc Gasol...the most important and impactful defensive player on the the Grizzlies?

kennethgriffin
02-11-2015, 03:27 AM
duncan has about 1/5th the impact on the spurs now compared to his prime. and the spurs are primarily built on offense these days. not like in the past when duncan was leading their defense and it was the reason they were contenders.

right now duncan can sit games and they still blow out teams. been this way for a few years now

no way in hell is he anchoring shit

T_L_P
02-11-2015, 03:44 AM
duncan has about 1/5th the impact on the spurs now compared to his prime. and the spurs are primarily built on offense these days. not like in the past when duncan was leading their defense and it was the reason they were contenders.

right now duncan can sit games and they still blow out teams. been this way for a few years now

Spurs record without Duncan in 2014-15: 2-3 (.400).

Warriors without Bogut (other DPOY favorite): 9-5 (.642).

Kenneth stays losing. :oldlol:

rmt
02-11-2015, 03:46 AM

Duncan might have 1/5th the impact compared to his prime but he is still anchoring the 2nd best defense in the league. He has missed a handful of games compared to Leonard and Splitter. You, obviously, have not been watching the Spurs this year. Their offense has been putrid - 14th in the league. It's the defense that's been keeping them in games.

Voters might go for Anthony Davis - don't know how long he'll be out.

kennethgriffin
02-11-2015, 03:50 AM
Duncan might have 1/5th the impact compared to his prime but he is still anchoring the 2nd best defense in the league. He has missed a handful of games compared to Leonard and Splitter. You, obviously, have not been watching the Spurs this year. Their offense has been putrid - 14th in the league. It's the defense that's been keeping them in games.

Voters might go for Anthony Davis - don't know how long he'll be out.

no he isnt.. hes good. but theres no anchoring... an anchor is a guy who if taken out changes the entire make up of the defense

theyre still good without him..

know why? because the spurs are stacked 12 deep from him taking like 5 dollars to play for the spurs so he can buy more championships

T_L_P
02-11-2015, 03:54 AM
no he isnt.. hes good. but theres no anchoring... an anchor is a guy who if taken out changes the entire make up of the defense

know why? because the spurs are stacked 12 deep from him taking like 5 dollars to play for the spurs so he can buy more championships

kenneth with more juvenile arguments.

Spurs without Duncan in 2014-15: 2-3

Warriors without Bogut: 9-5

Spurs without Duncan from 2013/14-2015: 8-7

kenneth imagining the Spurs win 70% of their games without him. :oldlol:

Prime_Shaq
02-11-2015, 03:58 AM
This is the very first season of all the years watching NBA where i dont have a clue who might win or who really deserves to win DPOY.... cant think of a single player... I know who might be the best defensive player in the league (Anthony Davis), but i dont think he might win it considering the DPOY criteria...

So because it must end up somewhere it will probably end up in some random big guys hands who just so happened to be on one of the teams who has the best records...
Kinda disagree here.. The few games I have watched of AD he seems to bite on fakes a whole lot and doesn't anchor a defense like Duncan or Bogut has... BPG =/= Defense

rmt
02-11-2015, 04:53 AM

So with Splitter and Leonard missing significant number of games, who exactly is anchoring the defense, if not Duncan? Diaw, Bonner, Baynes, Daye, Bellinelli, Manu, Mills, Joseph? The only other above average defender is Danny Green and for some reason, Pop seems to be playing Belli over Green.

Don't knock Duncan for taking a reasonable amount unlike your hero Kobe - $24million, lol. When has Spurs bought championships - they are almost always below luxury tax unlike 2010 Lakers - over $91 million - who's the one buying championships?

Demon Lizard
02-11-2015, 11:46 AM
Bogut should get it if he can stay healthy the rest of the season.

robert_shaww
02-11-2015, 12:04 PM
Does Duncan have a shot? SA is the number two defense in the league, and even though he IMO is a worthy candidate, he might get support in the lifetime achievement sense.

On the other hand, Golden State has multiple players who could win (and I'd have no problem with this). Might cannibalize one another though (then again, so could Duncan/Leonard).

Who else is in the conversation? Gasol/Allen from Memphis? Portland and Milwaukee are also top 5 defensively (along with GSW, SAS, MEM).

:facepalm

Wade's Rings
02-11-2015, 12:14 PM
Spurs record without Duncan in 2014-15: 2-3 (.400).

Warriors without Bogut (other DPOY favorite): 9-5 (.642).

Kenneth stays losing. :oldlol:

You should look at the Teams Defense with & without them not team record.

ProfessorMurder
02-11-2015, 12:17 PM
Why would Tony Allen get it over Marc Gasol...the most important and impactful defensive player on the the Grizzlies?
Did you see what TA did to Atlanta in the last few minutes of the game?

Captvic
02-11-2015, 05:33 PM
Demarre Carroll and I'm dead serious.