PDA

View Full Version : Is charles barkley retarded?

Rose'sACL
02-11-2015, 09:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZf9NFaCQHQ

he goes on about how analytics is crap and giving exaple of spurs and big 3 miami when spurs were one of the early adopters of analytics in nba.
Heat got bosh to space the floor even though his stats will take a hit. that is analytics doing work.

Does chuck believe that teams only use either analytics or eye-test? even rockets who use analytics a lot, don't use it exclusively to get talent.
Chuck want to be a GM of a team.

SugarHill
02-11-2015, 09:53 AM
Does he really think that's the origin of advanced stats? lol

No matter how I feel about him, dude is hilarious

Eric Cartman
02-11-2015, 09:54 AM
Simple explanation:

He was pissed at the Rockets organization and Morey.

Wanted to retaliate, so he did.

He thought of the best teams in the NBA mid rant, so he mentioned them, doesn't matter if they use analytics or not.

Charles is a smart man when he is informed and passionate about a subject.

HOoopCityJones
02-11-2015, 09:55 AM
He went abit overboard , but I think the essential point is spot on.

Analytics isn't everything.

christian1923
02-11-2015, 09:56 AM
Those teams won cause they had multiple Hall of Famers

R.I.P.
02-11-2015, 10:02 AM
Those teams won cause they had multiple Hall of Famers

Top 15 Center of all time + best PF of all time = Wins.

Analytics, baby. :banana:

Wade's Rings
02-11-2015, 10:07 AM
He went abit overboard , but I think the essential point is spot on.

Analytics isn't everything.

The Eye Test isn't always validated as well which is where Stats come in. People clearly have Bias' and Agendas which lead to screwed perceptions. On top of that Chuck contradicts himself or back pedals a lot.

When he was in Cleveland on Thursday he said a player in the post needs only 1 move, then 10 seconds later says a player needs 2 moves, and after saying that lists 3 moves that Kevin McHale had. He went contradicted himself twice in 30 seconds.

SHAQisGOAT
02-11-2015, 10:10 AM
Heat got bosh to space the floor even though his stats will take a hit. that is analytics doing work.

Why is that analytics doing work? :confusedshrug:
Lane had to be open for Lebron and Wade, and everyone knows the "way" Lebron plays... Bron (and Wade) are more impactful than Bosh, and his main impact can only be displayed that way.
Shit, even a kid could see that. And ofc his stats would take a dip by the way he was playing.
Think if they could've had Bosh doing his former thing - posting-up, playing closer to the basket more often, shooting some J's still - while Lebron (and Dwyane) still make his true impact felt and is able to play his game, they wouldn't do it?

Chuck got a bit mad and went on rambling, saying some stupid stuff here and there... BUT I agree with the premise that analytics are far from being some sort of an ultimate factor.

HOoopCityJones
02-11-2015, 10:15 AM
The Eye Test isn't always validated as well which is where Stats come in. People clearly have Bias' and Agendas which lead to screwed perceptions. On top of that Chuck contradicts himself or back pedals a lot.

When he was in Cleveland on Thursday he said a player in the post needs only 1 move, then 10 seconds later says a player needs 2 moves, and after saying that lists 3 moves that Kevin McHale had. He went contradicted himself twice in 30 seconds.

Which is where the overboard comes in. Stats definitely have their place in the game , but imo only when it pertains to measuring production, improvements, impact.

When it becomes the first thing you reach for to critique a player, it's apparent some just check the number and don't actually watch how games unfold, how players perform in certain situations etc.

A player's stat sheet alone can tell a tall tale in this day and age.

robert de niro
02-11-2015, 10:15 AM
yes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGaotz8d6Hw

Rose'sACL
02-11-2015, 10:20 AM
Why is that analytics doing work? :confusedshrug:
Lane had to be open for Lebron and Wade, and everyone knows the "way" Lebron plays... Bron (and Wade) are more impactful than Bosh, and his main impact can only be displayed that way.
Shit, even a kid could see that. And ofc his stats would take a dip by the way he was playing.
Think if they could've had Bosh doing his former thing - posting-up, playing closer to the basket more often, shooting some J's still - while Lebron (and Dwyane) still make his true impact felt and is able to play his game, they wouldn't do it?

Chuck got a bit mad and went on rambling, saying some stupid stuff here and there... BUT I agree with the premise that analytics are far from being some sort of an ultimate factor.
What I meant was that stat nerds were the ones who were saying that bosh is not as bad as his stats were in Miami big 3 era while everyone was hating him.
Advanced stats plus eye test is how most front offices judge talent unlike what idiots like Barkley think.

SugarHill
02-11-2015, 10:21 AM
yes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGaotz8d6Hw
He really thought Argentina is in Asia? :biggums:

Jamaica in south america? wtf

atljonesbro
02-11-2015, 10:23 AM
Wtf? Do you think you're making some sort of point here? That's literally pointing out the obvious. I can assure you absolutely zero people who use analytics think it's the end all ultimate factor. How people combat analytics with that argument is beyond me.

HOoopCityJones
02-11-2015, 10:27 AM
Wtf? Do you think you're making some sort of point here? That's literally pointing out the obvious. I can assure you absolutely zero people who use analytics think it's the end all ultimate factor. How people combat analytics with that argument is beyond me.

http://img.pandawhale.com/46543-You-Must-Be-New-Here-Willy-Won-w3Tt.gif

atljonesbro
02-11-2015, 10:35 AM
http://img.pandawhale.com/46543-You-Must-Be-New-Here-Willy-Won-w3Tt.gif
No, that's just your way of coping with something you don't understand.

Rake2204
02-11-2015, 10:40 AM
Simple explanation:

He thought of the best teams in the NBA mid rant, so he mentioned them, doesn't matter if they use analytics or not.

Charles is a smart man when he is informed and passionate about a subject.Right on. I'm not sure Charles can or should be taken absolutely, positively literally in this situation. These two were clearly having a back and forth, Barkley was on live TV and he just started rolling.

More than anything else, it seemed he was ranting more toward the folks with limited basketball history trying to act like they know at all, in particular Morey (as he perceives it). I would guess if some time was taken (likely off camera) and the subject could be honestly broached, Barkley would surely admit there's some possible use from knowing things like "so-and-so goes left 87% of the time".

Dro
02-11-2015, 10:45 AM
Simple explanation:

Charles is a smart man when he is informed and passionate about a subject.
This basically/thread.......

fpliii
02-11-2015, 11:10 AM
It certainly isn't a good look for Chuck, but I think there's a big misconception among those trying to "fight back" about what exactly "analytics" constitutes. Obviously in any field where something of value is on the line (money, winning, etc.), it's in the best interests of front offices to make informed decisions.

There is a bit of a false dichotomy issue (belief that it has to be all or nothing), but more importantly I think the positions are being misrepresented. Nobody is trying to tell people not to watch games (if someone feels this way, there are other fields with plenty of data to pour over), though there are a significant number of people who want the data to go away completely (not suggesting everybody feels this way, but there are quite a few obviously, here and elsewhere). That obviously isn't going to happen, as teams are going to use any and all tools at their disposal to make the best decisions possible.

I don't have as much of an issue with those who believe that data should play a small (but not nonexistent) part on decision-making. If people feel that way, they're certainly entitled to their opinions (and as long as they're well-informed, others who disagree shouldn't chide them), so more power to them. Honestly though, I don't think it's reasonable to take any position other than one that relies heavily both on watching tape and collecting/analyzing data (just wish the Lakers front office felt the same way during this rebuilding phase :( ). Just makes the most sense to me to gather as much information as possible, of all types, before making one's mind up/taking action.

It is what it is I guess.

Real Men Wear Green
02-11-2015, 11:26 AM
That rant had more to do with Barkley hating Morey for whatever reason than some beef with analytics. Barkley probably doesn't respect analytics much but he's talking about how dudes couldn't get girls in high school, not just attacking a system of analysis.

AussieG
02-11-2015, 11:42 AM
No, he's just southern and black.

He's kind of smart in his own Barkley way. But he also tries to sound like Ali, and says some really stupid stuff.

He's intellectually stupid but pretty smart when it comes to basketball and also life in general (sometimes).