PDA

View Full Version : Antetokounmpo is Nicolas Batum 2.0

Joyner82reload
02-12-2015, 09:46 PM
Batum's a better shooter while Antetokounmpo is a better rebounder. Other than that, they're the same player

RoundMoundOfReb
02-12-2015, 09:47 PM
Nope. He's already better than Batum.

outbreak
02-12-2015, 09:48 PM
Nah different games

JohnFreeman
02-12-2015, 09:49 PM
Feel free to watch Giannis play sometime

You Cant Ban Me
02-12-2015, 09:50 PM
Nah nick batum is a passive bch... giannis is better just because he is more aggressive

LiLharvard
02-12-2015, 09:51 PM
OP, they kinda look a-like?

Joyner82reload
02-12-2015, 09:54 PM
People must have forgotten the hype behind Batum was just as big as the hype for Antetokounmpo at the same age. Batum was considered to have future superstar potential as he had an extremely well rounded game in a huge frame with elite defensive potential.

Batum was actually a MUCH more complete player than Giannis at the same age and had a higher mythical ceiling

Droid101
02-12-2015, 09:55 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/e16dd16f4de841b391f118f72714a54e/tumblr_inline_nbat9kBEXc1satqni.gif

RoundMoundOfReb
02-12-2015, 09:55 PM
Let's be real: OP is just mad people are comparing him to Durant.

outbreak
02-12-2015, 09:57 PM
People must have forgotten the hype behind Batum was just as big as the hype for Antetokounmpo at the same age. Batum was considered to have future superstar potential as he had an extremely well rounded game in a huge frame with elite defensive potential.

Batum was actually a MUCH more complete player than Giannis at the same age and had a higher mythical ceiling
Maybe but it doesn't change the fact that they don't play the same

Legends66NBA7
02-12-2015, 09:58 PM
Bruno Caboclo is projected to be Nicolas Batum 2.0

But his ceiling is a mystery at this point.

LiLharvard
02-12-2015, 10:01 PM
Maybe but it doesn't change the fact that they don't play the same

Is that Shane Warne in your avatar?

LoneyROY7
02-12-2015, 10:04 PM
When's the last time OP actually watched a basketball game and didn't base his opinions solely on Synergy Sports stats?

outbreak
02-12-2015, 10:13 PM
Is that Shane Warne in your avatar?
yes :applause:

Prime_Shaq
02-12-2015, 10:15 PM
Giannis gonna be big

KirbyPls
02-12-2015, 10:19 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/e16dd16f4de841b391f118f72714a54e/tumblr_inline_nbat9kBEXc1satqni.gif

Is that a gif of John Wall?

Droid101
02-12-2015, 10:20 PM
yes

Milbuck
02-12-2015, 10:20 PM
Feel free to watch Giannis play sometime
Pretty much this.

Also, think it's worth considering that Giannis is just 3 months older than Wiggins, and younger than both Julius Randle and Joel Embiid. The dude is still a baby in this league. Batum is 6 years older.

LiLharvard
02-12-2015, 10:46 PM
John Wall when he goes down the A.I route and loses all his money and starts smoking meth and lives in a trailer park.

You Cant Ban Me
02-12-2015, 10:50 PM
:durantunimpressed: does that look anything like john wall...

Magic731
02-12-2015, 10:52 PM
OP is 100% right about the hype Batum got 6 years ago. It was just like Giannis now. And look where Batum is these days.

LiLharvard
02-12-2015, 10:53 PM
:durantunimpressed: does that look anything like john wall...

Future outlook. Post #KD2DC

Milbuck
02-12-2015, 10:54 PM
OP is 100% right about the hype Batum got 6 years ago. It was just like Giannis now. And look where Batum is these days.
So what?

We're just supposed to assume Giannis is gonna make zero improvements over the next 6 years?

Again, the kid is younger than rookies like Embiid and Randle. Threads like this that suggest he's gonna fail are just as retarded as those that predict him to be a star.

Not to mention Giannis is turning out to be a totally different player than Batum.

Magic731
02-12-2015, 11:01 PM
So what?

We're just supposed to assume Giannis is gonna make zero improvements over the next 6 years?
Of course not, but at the same time it's silly to assume that he will become anything but a superstar. We will have to wait and see.

Again, the kid is younger than rookies like Embiid and Randle. Threads like this that suggest he's gonna fail are just as retarded as those that predict him to be a star.

Not to mention Giannis is turning out to be a totally different player than Batum.
Point is is that Batum was a similar age, 19-20 and was receiving loads of hype for the same reasons as Giannis. The fact that he was young, long and athletic. For what it's worth I don't necessarily agree that Giannis will follow the same career trajectory as Batum, but Batum at 20 years old and Giannis now is certainly a good comparison.

Milbuck
02-12-2015, 11:07 PM
Of course not, but at the same time it's silly to assume that he will become anything but a superstar. We will have to wait and see.No one is proclaiming him a superstar lock. But I don't think it's that unreasonable to be a little optimistic about his potential.

I've seen nearly every game he's played this year. He has legitimate star potential, and he doesn't just show flashes of it like last year. He's had games where he singlehandedly carries us to the W or looks like the best player on court.

Point is is that Batum was a similar age, 19-20 and was receiving loads of hype for the same reasons as Giannis. The fact that he was young, long and athletic. For what it's worth I don't necessarily agree that Giannis will follow the same career trajectory as Batum, but Batum at 20 years old and Giannis now is certainly a good comparison.There's a huge flaw with this thinking though, it completely neglects the mental aspect of the game, which is something only the people who consistently watch Giannis will know. The kid has an incredible feel for the game at such a young age, great BBIQ, has a sharp competitive edge to him, and by all reports a wonderful work ethic. We can look at the physical similarities all we want, but neglecting the mental aspect of the game...makes it a very lazy comparison imo.

Joyner82reload
02-12-2015, 11:08 PM
So what?

Expecting a 12/7/3 2nd year player to develop into a superstar is a ridiculous proposal, period. Yes he has excellent tools and appears to be the complete package, but the majority of the time that is never expressed in the way that it needs to be to become a superstar.

Batum was everybit as hyped as Giannis and he was a more complete player as he could actually shoot. Look how he turned out. Odds are Giannis will become Batum

Just ask the Portland fans that have posted here since 2009 about Batum circa 2009-2011. Most of them said they wouldn't trade him for anyone not named LeBron, Durant, or Howard. He was believed to be a near lock as a future 20/8/5 50/40/80 DPOY talent. Literally EVERYTHING you're saying about Antetekounmpo was said about Batum by all of the blazers fans. Hell I remember many of them stating they would take Batum over Durant late in 2009/early 2010

Milbuck
02-12-2015, 11:14 PM
Expecting a 12/7/3 2nd year player to develop into a superstar is a ridiculous proposal, period. Yes he has excellent tools and appears to be the complete package, but the majority of the time that is never expressed in the way that it needs to be to become a superstar.

Batum was everybit as hyped as Giannis and he was a more complete player as he could actually shoot. Look how he turned out. Odds are Giannis will become Batum
No, it's really not.

The dude's impact goes way, way beyond stats. Judging him and his development purely by box score numbers is just straight up dumb and a clear indication that you haven't much of his games beyond the highlights.

And the logic of "Batum didn't improve, so Giannis likely won't either" is completely retarded. It's literally the same argument as the pessimistic nonsense when people were comparing him to Anthony Randolph.

Joyner82reload
02-12-2015, 11:17 PM
No, it's really not.

The dude's impact goes way, way beyond stats. Judging him and his development purely by box score numbers is just straight up dumb and a clear indication that you haven't much of his games beyond the highlights.

And the logic of "Batum didn't improve, so Giannis likely won't either" is completely retarded. It's literally the same argument as the pessimistic nonsense when people were comparing him to Anthony Randolph.

Yep, same things could be said of Kendrick Perkins :rolleyes:

KNOW1EDGE
02-12-2015, 11:20 PM
I see the similarities.

Both long armed, athletic, tall wing players.

Both are good on defense.

Batum is a better shooter, but Gianis has more of a killer instinct while Batum is pretty passive for the most part.

Gianis has a brighter future IMO

Milbuck
02-12-2015, 11:21 PM
Yep, same things could be said of Kendrick Perkins :rolleyes:
Don't even know how to respond to that :oldlol:

If you want to cast a definitive judgement on a 20 year old who's younger than most rookies, based on some stats you found on basketball reference, and some contrived hype comparison..go ahead. Guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree here.

Lexington Steel
02-12-2015, 11:35 PM
Nah nick batum is a passive bch... giannis is better just because he is more aggressive
Kobe is more aggressive than LeBron. Kobe > LeBron.

outbreak
02-12-2015, 11:39 PM
both of those players play aggressive when needed though...

Demon Lizard
02-12-2015, 11:45 PM
He is the next Batum? That sucks. That just means once he gets overpaid, he'll start sucking.

You Cant Ban Me
02-13-2015, 12:38 AM
is this suppose to get me mad or something?shit i agree with that career accomplishments wise

NuggetsFan
02-13-2015, 12:51 AM
Both have/had the hype train. Similar first two years in the league with Giannis having a larger role and more minutes.

I don't watch the Bucks play but whenever I see him he's playing PF? Remember alot of hype as a massive SG/SF. Also looking at the numbers he has never averaged a steal per game and averaging just a block per game this year. Figured with all that length and height he'd get in the lanes more and be blocking SG's/SF's alot whenever he played there.

I don't see a superstar from what I've seen. I think he ends up better than Batum tho. Any Bucks fans chime in about his shot? Just looking at the numbers it seems like he's kinda gave up shooting the 3 this year :lol

Kevin Durant
02-13-2015, 03:49 AM
Back in 2008, as a Blazers fan, I liked Rudy Fernandez's game a lot more than Batum's. Batum kind of frustrated me with some of his lack of aggressiveness. Right now, while he hasn't reached his potential (yet, still has time) he's been hit with the injury bug, but still remains a decent stat filler, sets up his teammates well and plays solid defense. He just needs to rest up for a bit. I think Giannis could become a 15-5-5 guy, with more points than Batum as Batum's now the fourth option on a team with Aldridge, (high volume shooter) Lillard, and Matthews.

SyRyanYang
02-13-2015, 04:10 AM
Andre Wiggins will become rich man's Nicolas Batum.

Euroleague
02-13-2015, 11:28 PM
If you want to make the comparison that Batum was ridiculously hyped at the same, or even younger, then you can make that comparison.

I remember Batum and Gallinari were so insanely over hyped and overrated when they were in Europe right before they came to the NBA that it was just maybe 2-3 levels below Rubio insane overrating level.

With idiots saying they were the "biggest European talents" and all that crap, when anyone could see neither one of them would ever amount to anything more than a top role player in the NBA or any good European club.

So yeah, you could make a comparison for the stupid nonsense hype Antetokounmpo has gotten over the last year or so. You could compare int hat way. With how Antetokounmpo is so absurdly overrated now - he was so terrible with Greece's national team it was embarrassing, for example. The level of overrating on him is almost ludicrous at this point, almost as bad as it was with how people were overrating Rubio awhile back.

However, if you are trying to compare Batum to Antetokounmpo as players, I don't see any comparison. Sorry, unless you could only think of one other black European player playing at SF in the NBA, so you just threw out "next Batum", using some retarded BS like that.

They really have no similarity at all as players.

Batum is WAY, WAY, WAY more skilled and better as an individual player than Antetokounmpo is. It's not even freaking close.

On the other hand, Antetokounmpo is way beyond Batum in terms of being a freak athlete, thus the name "Greek Freak". I'm not saying Batum isn't athletic, because he is very athletic. But Antetokounmpo has him beat easily in that category.

Plus, Batum really is like the prototype classic European small forward, while Antetokounmpo is more like a run and gun, NBA style, small ball face up power forward/center. Even though he's not seen as that or used that way, if you were scouting him, or trying to define his skills and his physicals - that's what Antetokounmpo really is.

So I don't see where there is any similarity in the two as players.

SugarHill
02-13-2015, 11:30 PM
OP is mad about Durant comparisons. It really is that simple.