PDA

View Full Version : For The Wilt-Bashers

LAZERUSS
02-12-2015, 11:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B7jVTJ_CIE

This should really have a sticky.

SouBeachTalents
02-12-2015, 11:21 PM
https://sportsweeksportslist.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/bill-russell-has-11-rings-with-the-boston-celtics.jpg

LAZERUSS
02-12-2015, 11:25 PM
https://sportsweeksportslist.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/bill-russell-has-11-rings-with-the-boston-celtics.jpg

And yet WILT nearly beat the greatest dynasty in NBA history in FOUR Game Seven's (losing by margins of 2, 1, 4, and 2 points)...and in fact, annihilated the eight-time defending champions in the '67 EDF's.

LAZERUSS
02-12-2015, 11:27 PM
And this...

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332617

ralph_i_el
02-12-2015, 11:31 PM
Gaaay

Ariza4three
02-12-2015, 11:43 PM
Didn't watch and didn't read.
OP is a *******

LAZERUSS
02-13-2015, 12:35 AM

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1I9jddU8eNWrI8MMOPs_0l58WnjFNADvF4iIcu0Sfz7A/edit?pli=1#gid=0

BTW, In their 10 years in the league together, Chamberlain held a 7-2 margin in First-Team All-NBA selections.

Proctor
02-13-2015, 12:40 AM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2817947/billbored.gif

Ca$H
02-13-2015, 12:40 AM
Honestly I think Wilt would be the best player in the NBA if he played in this era.

Jud
02-13-2015, 12:41 AM
Honestly I think Wilt would be the best player in the NBA if he played in this era.
He'd be a DeAndre Jordan in this era :oldlol:

Get off that crack, little kid.

LAZERUSS
02-13-2015, 12:43 AM

Yeah...a 7-3, 290 lb, 40" vertical, 500+ lb bench-pressing, 4.5 40, and far more skilled DeAndre Jordan.

He would probably shatter his 100 point game against Jordan...

RoundMoundOfReb
02-13-2015, 12:45 AM
Cool vid. Weak era, though.

DatAsh
02-13-2015, 12:48 AM

Of course he would.

Jud
02-13-2015, 12:50 AM
Yeah...a 7-3, 290 lb, 40" vertical, 500+ lb bench-pressing, 4.5 40, and far more skilled DeAndre Jordan.

He would probably shatter his 100 point game against Jordan...
Yeah, scoring over guys who were 6'8-6'10. Oh wow, such skill. Wilt played in a weak era. No way he'd be anywhere near as successful if he played in the current era.

Asukal
02-13-2015, 12:51 AM
Da meltdown continues... :roll:

LAZERUSS
02-13-2015, 12:52 AM
Yeah, scoring over guys who were 6'8-6'10. Oh wow, such skill. Wilt played in a weak era. No way he'd be anywhere near as successful if he played in the current era.

Yeah...he was facing LEGIT 6-10 to 7-0+ players...unlike today's centers like Jordan, Cousins, Howard, and Drummond....all of whom are about 6-9 1/2...or the same size as Russell.

RoundMoundOfReb
02-13-2015, 12:54 AM
Of course he would.
LeBron James.

Jud
02-13-2015, 12:54 AM
Yeah...he was facing LEGIT 6-10 to 7-0+ players...unlike today's centers like Jordan, Cousins, Howard, and Drummond....all of whom are about 6-9 1/2...or the same size as Russell.
They weren't even close to being as physically strong as some of the centers we have today.

LAZERUSS
02-13-2015, 12:57 AM
They weren't even close to being as physically strong as some of the centers we have today.

NONE of whom, including a peak Shaq, are nearly as strong as Chamberlain was.

Let Wilt play like this against these modern day "strong" centers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ3FXLyNFew

And they would be carrying players like Drummond, Howard, Cousins, and Jordan out in body bags.

Asukal
02-13-2015, 01:00 AM

How can Wilt not dominate a guy far smaller than he? :confusedshrug:

I mean I know Russell was great but dayum Wilt couldn't dominate him to save his life or the title. :bowdown: :applause: :oldlol:

LAZERUSS
02-13-2015, 01:01 AM
How can Wilt not dominate a guy far smaller than he? :confusedshrug:

I mean I know Russell was great but dayum Wilt couldn't dominate him to save his life or the title. :bowdown: :applause: :oldlol:

:roll: :roll: :roll:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1I9jddU8eNWrI8MMOPs_0l58WnjFNADvF4iIcu0Sfz7A/edit?pli=1#gid=0

And again...a 7-2 margin in First Team All-NBA Selections over Russell in their 10 years in the league together.

Nice try though.

Jud
02-13-2015, 01:02 AM
NONE of whom, including a peak Shaq, are nearly as strong as Chamberlain was.

Let Wilt play like this against these modern day "strong" centers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ3FXLyNFew

And they would be carrying players like Drummond, Howard, Cousins, and Jordan out in body bags.
Wilt was going up against a bunch of short shawn bradleys.

Asukal
02-13-2015, 01:04 AM

And again...a 7-2 margin in First Team All-NBA Selections over Russell in their 10 years in the league together.

Nice try though.

11 rings to 2, one which came after Russell retired. :rolleyes:

Nice try though. :roll:

LAZERUSS
02-13-2015, 01:05 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1utx7OxiaoU

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6048080&postcount=16

Robert Paris played in the NBA up until the 96-97 season...

Boston Globe - Dec 9, 1992

"He's the strongest guy I've played against since Artis Gilmore. "He's a very solid 300 pounds. He's all man."

Christian Science Monitor - Jan 25, 1993

After the Celtics lost to the Magic, 113-94, Robert Parish said that in his 17- year career, only longtime Chicago Bulls star Artis Gilmore was physically stronger than O'Neal, but that Shaq was more athletic - "and that is a very scary thought," he said in mock seriousness.

RoundMoundOfReb
02-13-2015, 01:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1utx7OxiaoU

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6048080&postcount=16

Robert Paris played in the NBA up until the 96-97 season...
That wasn't a prime Shaq - that was a rookie Shaq. Prime Shaq was much larger/stronger.

LAZERUSS
02-13-2015, 01:10 AM

Oh, and how about this...

BTW, HOFer Lanier was 6-11 and around 270 at the time...

http://www.nba.com/history/wilt_appreciation.html

Bob Lanier, himself a Hall of Fame center of considerable proportion, recalls "when Wilt Chamberlain lifted me up and moved me like a coffee cup so he could get position." And Heinsohn likes to tell of Chamberlain plucking a driving K.C. Jones out of the air "like he was a fly. K.C.'s legs were still moving in the air."

Asukal
02-13-2015, 01:12 AM
Apparently, Wilt can do anything except lead his team to more than 2 titles. :applause:

LAZERUSS
02-13-2015, 01:13 AM
That wasn't a prime Shaq - that was a rookie Shaq. Prime Shaq was much larger/stronger.

Larger, yes...as in terms of weight. Not strength.

And the TALES of Shaq benching 450 lbs was just that...a MYTH.

A couple of years ago, a nearly 400 lb. Shaq couldn't BUDGE 405...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW2-x-0lAQo

There are eye-witness accounts of Wilt benching 465 lbs in his 50's!

LAZERUSS
02-13-2015, 01:18 AM
Apparently, Wilt can do anything except lead his team to more than 2 titles. :applause:

Same with MJ...who didn't even have a winning record in his entire career without Pippen.

Or a PRIME Kareem, who could only go to two finals in his first 10 years, and only won one ring. Oh, and he missed the playoffs twice, as well. Oh, and he didn't have the TEAM success that Chamberlain had in their four seasons in the league together, either.

Bird? HOF-stacked rosters...3 rings, and lost with HCA SEVEN times (and was either below average, or downright awful in all of them.)

Hakeem? THREE Finals in 18 seasons, and EIGHT FIRST ROUND EXITS.

Shaq? SWEPT SIX times (and nearly again in '04 with a heavily favored team.)

Yet, Wilt took far inferior rosters, that genrally played worse in the post-season, to within an EYE-LASH of beating the greatest dynasty in NBA history FOUR times. And in fact, SLAUGHTERED that 8-time defending dynasty in '67. He also led his old roster to a convincing series win over the much younger and defending champion Bucks in '72 (Kareem was never the same after that either.)

LAZERUSS
02-13-2015, 01:19 AM
11 rings to 2, one which came after Russell retired. :rolleyes:

Nice try though. :roll:

TEAM achievements. Just ask MJ who couldn't win a playoff series without Pippen.

christian1923
02-13-2015, 01:20 AM
:applause: nice

What do you think wilts stats would be if he played today? 35 & 22?

LAZERUSS
02-13-2015, 01:21 AM

Depends on his teammates and role.

He would certainly be capable of 30-35 ppg, and if a 6-8 scrawn Kevin Love could average 15+ rpg in a season in which he played 36 mpg...then Chamberlain would have no problem with 18-19. Oh, and he likely would be shooting .650 to .750 from the field, as well.

Asukal
02-13-2015, 01:26 AM
TEAM achievements. Just ask MJ who couldn't win a playoff series without Pippen.

Well why didn't Wilt win more when he had West and Baylor on his side? :rolleyes::oldlol:

LAZERUSS
02-13-2015, 01:32 AM
Well why didn't Wilt win more when he had West and Baylor on his side? :rolleyes::oldlol:

Incompetent coach, and a shot-jacking Baylor who was several years past his prime, and who put up the worst playoff series of his entire career. BTW, why don't you blame WEST for that series loss, since you seem to blame Wilt for losing to Russell's other teams in series in which he was hanging 34 ppg on Russell?

Incidently, West won a ring in '72 thanks to WILT, who overcame the worst post-season of West's career, en route to winning a FMVP, and leading his team to a dominating world title.

LAZERUSS
02-13-2015, 01:33 AM

BTW, when those three were healthy...they played exactly ONE season together. And it was BAYLOR who cost them that Finals.

jongib369
02-13-2015, 01:34 AM

Depending on the team 20-35 points shooting close to 60%, 4-6 assists, 14-16 rebounds, 4 blocks, and 2 steals.

Possibly could average 40+ ppg if you forced him the ball like the Spurs did David Robinson...But you'd likely not have your coaching job long with that strategy. And his FG% would take quite a dip....but still being fantastic considering

La Frescobaldi
02-13-2015, 01:35 AM
Baylor!??!!

:lol

showing you don't know much of anything about those days.

:roll: :roll:

DatAsh
02-13-2015, 01:37 AM
Depending on the team 20-35 points shooting close to 60%, 4-6 assists, 14-16 rebounds, 4 blocks, and 2 steals.

Possibly could average 40+ ppg if you forced him the ball like the Spurs did David Robinson...But you'd likely not have your coaching job long with that strategy. And his FG% would take quite a dip....but still being fantastic considering

I can stack hands on this, apart from the 2 steals. He'd get more than 4 blocks though.

jongib369
02-13-2015, 01:46 AM
I can stack hands on this, apart from the 2 steals. He'd get more than 4 blocks though.
What about 1-2? Can't see him getting as many steals as Hakeem or Robinson?

And how many blocks would you imagine? Max for an entire season considering the style of play today would be 5 IMO

LAZERUSS
02-13-2015, 01:47 AM

How about this...

let's compare Chamberlain's '62 post-season, in which he took a roster, the core of which was basically the same LAST PLACE roster he inherited two years earlier, only now which was older and worse...to within two points of beating the heavily-favored and HOF-laden 60-20 Celtics...(oh, and this was in the EDF's, after beating Syracuse in the first round with a must-win game five of 56 points and 35 rebounds.)

with MJ's 86-87 Bulls, who were SWEPT by Bird's 59-23 Celtics in the first round.

That was Wilt's (50.4 ppg), and MJ's (37.1 ppg) highest scoring seasons.

Now, you tell me who did more?

DatAsh
02-13-2015, 02:00 AM
What about 1-2? Can't see him getting as many steals as Hakeem or Robinson?

And how many blocks would you imagine? Max for an entire season considering the style of play today would be 5 IMO

Hakeem and Robinson didn't average 2 steals. Hakeem averaged 1.7, but he generally roamed further out than Wilt and was laterally quicker on his feet.

I see 5-6 blocks per game for Wilt. Robinson and Hakeem had seasons approaching 5 blocks per game, and they weren't the blockers that Wilt was.

Asukal
02-13-2015, 02:06 AM
BTW, when those three were healthy...they played exactly ONE season together. And it was BAYLOR who cost them that Finals.

So what you are saying is Wilt couldn't cover for his team when they start to suck? Gotcha! :cheers:

I remember Jordan carried his team when Pippen had back issues but that's totally irrelevant. :oldlol:

Asukal
02-13-2015, 02:08 AM
Baylor!??!!

:lol

showing you don't know much of anything about those days.

:roll: :roll:

What the hell grandpa? :biggums:

LAZERUSS
02-13-2015, 02:08 AM
So what you are saying is Wilt couldn't cover for his team when they start to suck? Gotcha! :cheers:

I remember Jordan carried his team when Pippen had back issues but that's totally irrelevant. :oldlol:

I remember Wilt carrying his team to a title when his best teammate shot .325 from the field, too.

Asukal
02-13-2015, 02:12 AM
How about this...

let's compare Chamberlain's '62 post-season, in which he took a roster, the core of which was basically the same LAST PLACE roster he inherited two years earlier, only now which was older and worse...to within two points of beating the heavily-favored and HOF-laden 60-20 Celtics...(oh, and this was in the EDF's, after beating Syracuse in the first round with a must-win game five of 56 points and 35 rebounds.)

with MJ's 86-87 Bulls, who were SWEPT by Bird's 59-23 Celtics in the first round.

That was Wilt's (50.4 ppg), and MJ's (37.1 ppg) highest scoring seasons.

Now, you tell me who did more?

Doesn't matter who did more, they both lost, end of story. The real question is who did more career wise? :rolleyes:

Asukal
02-13-2015, 02:13 AM
I remember Wilt carrying his team to a title when his best teammate shot .325 from the field, too.

I also remember Wilt sitting out the 4th of the last game when their best player won the FMVP despite losing the finals. :applause:

LAZERUSS
02-13-2015, 02:14 AM
What the hell grandpa? :biggums:

You do realize that Baylor shot .397 in the '69 Finals (and .385 in the entire post-season, which was the WORST on the team)...and in three of their losses, he shot 4-18 from the field (in a 6 point loss), 2-14 (and 1-6 from the line...in a 1 point loss), and 8-22 (in a game seven, two point loss)?

LA would have been better off without that shot-jacking has-been.

coin24
02-13-2015, 02:15 AM
Aren't you like 50 years old?

Why are you so obsessed with an old bball player from like 50 years ago?? To sit here and write countless essays about a guy who would be about as good as javale McGee these days:confusedshrug: it's kind of sad, you need a hobby bro..

SouBeachTalents
02-13-2015, 02:16 AM

BTW, In their 10 years in the league together, Chamberlain held a 7-2 margin in First-Team All-NBA selections.

In their 10 years in the league together, Russell matched him in MVP's at 4 apiece, and would have had an (estimated) 8-3 DPOY advantage, (estimated) 6-1 Finals MVP advantage, and a definite 9-1 ring advantage

LAZERUSS
02-13-2015, 02:17 AM
I also remember Wilt sitting out the 4th of the last game when their best player won the FMVP despite losing the finals. :applause:

Evidently you don't remember right, then. His COACH refused to let him back in. And after the Lakers lost that game by 2 points, he was basically fired immediately. His coaching career went down the toilet after that horribly coached series. Meanwhile, Chamberlain carried LA to their first ever title a couple of years later (again, in a post-season in which West was just awful.)

Asukal
02-13-2015, 02:18 AM
You do realize that Baylor shot .397 in the '69 Finals (and .385 in the entire post-season, which was the WORST on the team)...and in three of their losses, he shot 4-18 from the field (in a 6 point loss), 2-14 (and 1-6 from the line...in a 1 point loss), and 8-22 (in a game seven, two point loss)?

LA would have been better off without that shot-jacking has-been.

Of course when it comes to a Wilt discussion, a hall of famer like baylor must be disrespected to preserve Wilt's legacy. :rolleyes:

Asukal
02-13-2015, 02:20 AM
Evidently you don't remember right, then. His COACH refused to let him back in. And after the Lakers lost that game by 2 points, he was basically fired immediately. His coaching career went down the toilet after that horribly coached series. Meanwhile, Chamberlain carried LA to their first ever title a couple of years later (again, in a post-season in which West was just awful.)

That coach was a genius, he knew wilt couldn't be counted on. :oldlol: :roll: :applause:

LAZERUSS
02-13-2015, 02:22 AM
In their 10 years in the league together, Russell matched him in MVP's at 4 apiece, and would have had an (estimated) 8-3 DPOY advantage, (estimated) 6-1 Finals MVP advantage, and a definite 9-1 ring advantage

Russell beat out Wilt in his '62 season, a season in which MANY sports experts have labeled as the greatest season ever (and again, Wilt was voted first-team all-NBA that season, and ahead of Russell.) Chamberlain SHOULD have won it in '64 (Oscar did) when he took a horrific roster to a 48-32 record and a trip to the Finals. And in one of the most suspicious MVP voting ever, in '69, Wilt was nowhere to be found. Even though he slaughtered Unseld, Reed, and Russell H2H (and led his teams to records of 3-3 against Unseld's, 4-2 against Russell's, and 5-1 against Reed's), and only Unseld's Bullets had a better record than Wilt's Lakers (57-25 to 55-27...and that, despite West missing 21 games, and Baylor six.)

Can't hold TEAM accomplishments against Wilt. John Wooden said it best...had Wilt and Russell swapped rosters, and it would have been Wilt holding all those rings. BTW, Russell would likely not have beaten Wilt out of a FMVP in the '64 Finals. Chamberlain just murdered Russell in that series (as he did in the vast majority of their eight post-season H2H series.)

Incidently, Chamberlain outscored, outrebounded, and outshot Russell in EVERY post-season H2H series, and often by HUGE margins.

LAZERUSS
02-13-2015, 02:26 AM
Of course when it comes to a Wilt discussion, a hall of famer like baylor must be disrespected to preserve Wilt's legacy. :rolleyes:

He was no HOFer when he played with Wilt. He was a shell who COST his team a title. Plain-and-simple. Had the two been paired together a few years earlier, and likely they would have romped to several titles.

T_L_P
02-13-2015, 02:27 AM
You're insane, dude.

LAZERUSS
02-13-2015, 02:28 AM
That coach was a genius, he knew wilt couldn't be counted on. :oldlol: :roll: :applause:

YOU would be the ONLY idiot who would make that claim.

He was basically fired (he immediately quit after that imcompetent job, knowing full well that he was about to be fired), and his career went into the toilet after that. You could easily make a case that that was the WORST coached Finals in NBA history. There were coaching blunders made in nearly every game, and his hatred for Wilt in that game seven cost LA their first ever title.

CavaliersFTW
02-13-2015, 02:57 AM

Deandre Jordan creates his own scoring and playmaking opportunities off of isolation plays? This is news to me.

Mr Exlax
02-13-2015, 08:43 AM
If you look at their head to head match ups, Wilt annihilated Russell. Russell just so happened to have a much better supporting cast so that's how they usually won. I'm sure you lames here have never been the best player on the court and have a lesser talented team.

Asukal
02-13-2015, 08:43 AM
YOU would be the ONLY idiot who would make that claim.

He was basically fired (he immediately quit after that imcompetent job, knowing full well that he was about to be fired), and his career went into the toilet after that. You could easily make a case that that was the WORST coached Finals in NBA history. There were coaching blunders made in nearly every game, and his hatred for Wilt in that game seven cost LA their first ever title.

Nahhh. Wilt is a fool's gold. A close look at his history shows it clearly. Russell is the real GOAT of the 60's. :pimp:

AirFederer
02-13-2015, 09:24 AM
I`m with LAZ on this.

Here`s a pic of Tilt lifting 950 lbs.:eek: :eek: :eek:

http://oi44.tinypic.com/2s6pqir.jpg

GOAT.

sd3035
02-13-2015, 09:48 AM
wilt was slow, couldn't jump or shoot, and relied on playing against part time players and midgets. Please don't discredit Deandre Jordan by comparing Wilt to him.

Ariza4three
02-13-2015, 09:50 AM
wilt was slow, couldn't jump or shoot, and relied on playing against part time players and midgets. Please don't discredit Deandre Jordan by comparing Wilt to him.
This.

CavaliersFTW
02-13-2015, 12:20 PM
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2014-09/23/12/enhanced/webdr04/anigif_enhanced-4630-1411491004-1.gif

deja vu
02-13-2015, 12:28 PM
I've seen videos of Wilt playing and I'm not really impressed with his offensive skills. He'd still be a defensive monster though.

SugarHill
02-13-2015, 12:31 PM
When it's Wilt, it's team accomplishments.

When it's Hakeem, he's the most overrated player ever.

:rolleyes:

stanlove1111
02-13-2015, 12:35 PM

4:25 with Gus Johnson always makes me laugh, and makes me wonder if there were any refs at the game..

CavaliersFTW
02-13-2015, 01:20 PM
I've seen videos of Wilt playing and I'm not really impressed with his offensive skills. He'd still be a defensive monster though.
Greatest scorer in NBA history and greatest passing center in NBA history "not impressed with this offensive skills"

:oldlol:

AirBourne92
02-13-2015, 01:44 PM
i can see Wilt averaging 25+ points in today's game but I highly doubt he would get 100points in today's game

his career high in today's league would be like 50-60 points though which is really good

GimmeThat
02-13-2015, 02:03 PM
Im probably wrong.

But theres probably a whole lot more bands than solo artist in the rock and roll hall of fame.

In the case i am not.

Op, stfu

HomieWeMajor
02-13-2015, 02:04 PM
I dare any Wilt basher to argue with this evidence :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhBSYxCqn38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6DJdUjqJIs
Made by our very on CavaliersFTW.

SugarHill
02-13-2015, 02:06 PM
I dare any Wilt basher to argue with this evidence :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhBSYxCqn38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6DJdUjqJIs
Made by our very on CavaliersFTW.

T_L_P
02-13-2015, 05:56 PM
Greatest scorer in NBA history and greatest passing center in NBA history "not impressed with this offensive skills"

Wilt from 23-29 in the Playoffs (a very short-lived scoring prime): 32.8 PPG on teams that scored 115 PPG (averaged out)

Michael Jordan from 22-34 in the Playoffs: 33.5 PPG on teams that scored 105 PPG.

GTFO with that 'greatest scorer' shit. He's the greatest Regular Season scorer, wow. :bowdown:

EDIT: Jordan from 22-29: 34.9 PPG.

Andrei89
02-13-2015, 05:59 PM
And yet WILT nearly beat the greatest dynasty in NBA history in FOUR Game Seven's (losing by margins of 2, 1, 4, and 2 points)...and in fact, annihilated the eight-time defending champions in the '67 EDF's.

:applause: :applause:

inclinerator
02-13-2015, 06:15 PM
what's next ? wilt could move mountains?

LAZERUSS
02-14-2015, 11:34 AM

The running commentaries are as informative as the visual impact. So many quotes from players, coach's, and members of the media. You could just as easily listen to this as watch it.

Just great stuff.

Ariza4three
02-14-2015, 11:41 AM
Old man is off his rocker again. Someone shut his old ass up.