PDA

View Full Version : George Gevin on Klay Thompson's "record"

TheReturn
02-14-2015, 08:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuXIpxoMYtc

Does this guy not understand basic math and statistics or is it just an ego thing?

:biggums:

edit: Gervin*

atljonesbro
02-14-2015, 11:55 AM
Almost every NBA legend is a sore loser who thinks they're some sort of god who'd put up video games numbers in every era but their own. It's ridiculous. And most of them aren't very smart either which you can tell from this video pretty easily.

fiddy
02-14-2015, 11:58 AM
Dude is senile

LAZERUSS
02-14-2015, 12:02 PM
The 6-7 SG Gervin put up three straight seasons of 33, 27, and 32 ppg in leagues with Dr. J, Bird, Magic, Moses, and Kareem.

Of course, we know that none of those guys would be worth a damn in today's NBA, either, right?

jongib369
02-14-2015, 12:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuXIpxoMYtc

Does this guy not understand basic math and statistics or is it just an ego thing?

:biggums:

edit: Gervin*
He's wrong, it's a smart shot depending on where and when you shoot it. Just from a different era of basketball when players didn't practice it as much, or had it game planned correctly. In his day it probably was a dumb shot when you only took as many as they did.

jongib369
02-14-2015, 12:11 PM
The 6-7 SG Gervin put up three straight seasons of 33, 27, and 32 ppg in leagues with Dr. J, Bird, Magic, Moses, and Kareem.

Of course, we know that none of those guys would be worth a damn in today's NBA, either, right?
He's not saying he wouldn't be worth anything idt, but rather his philosophy of the game just doesn't fit with the times....But obviously I think he'd rip this league a new one. And would develop and use the 3 quite well had he played today

CarlosBoozer
02-14-2015, 12:18 PM
Salt?

atljonesbro
02-14-2015, 12:26 PM
He's not saying he wouldn't be worth anything idt, but rather his philosophy of the game just doesn't fit with the times....But obviously I think he'd rip this league a new one. And would develop and use the 3 quite well had he played today
Nostalgia, take off the blinders

Eric Cartman
02-14-2015, 12:33 PM

Wtf are you talking about?

We know the ice man is one of the top players in history, but he is totally loony about Klay taking his place in history.

LAZERUSS
02-14-2015, 12:41 PM
Wtf are you talking about?

We know the ice man is one of the top players in history, but he is totally loony about Klay taking his place in history.

Just reacting to the "senile" post.

And I would easily take a prime Gervin over Klay in a game of one-on-one.

Eric Cartman
02-14-2015, 12:49 PM
Just reacting to the "senile" post.

And I would easily take a prime Gervin over Klay in a game of one-on-one.

I would too, Gervin was an all around scoring machine while Klay is more of a catch and shot guy, still, can't stand this guy tripping about his record being broken, have some class ffs.

Ariza4three
02-14-2015, 12:50 PM
This is why old people can't be taken seriously when it comes to basketball. Because usually the opposite of what they say is true. That's why Wilt was a choker when they say he wasn't. Sorry old fvcks.

fiddy
02-14-2015, 12:55 PM
This is why old people can't be taken seriously when it comes to basketball. Because usually the opposite of what they say is true. That's why Wilt was a choker when they say he wasn't. Sorry old fvcks.
You are neither mature, smart or experienced enough to judge old people, gtfo drink your milk lil boy.

LAZERUSS
02-14-2015, 12:56 PM

Chamberlain "the choker" in his BIGGEST "Must-Win" playoff games of his career...

31.1 ppg
26.4 rpg
.540 FG% (in leagues that shot .435 in that span.)

Give me your list of players who performed better in their post-season career.

Ariza4three
02-14-2015, 01:01 PM
Chamberlain "the choker" in his BIGGEST "Must-Win" playoff games of his career...

31.1 ppg
26.4 rpg

Wilt = CHOKER
Next.

LAZERUSS
02-14-2015, 01:02 PM
Wilt = CHOKER
Next.

Excellent research.

Next...

Ariza4three
02-14-2015, 01:03 PM
Excellent research.

Next...
I don't want to smack you down with facts like everyone else does here. I know your old heart can't take much more.

Mr Feeny
02-14-2015, 01:50 PM

31.1 ppg
26.4 rpg

Postseason?

I know a LOT of players who averaged more than 22 ppg in the postseason. And more than 18 ppg in the finals.

PejaTheSerbSnip
02-14-2015, 01:57 PM
I don't want to smack you down with facts like everyone else does here. I know your old heart can't take much more.

That's just cunty.

aj1987
02-14-2015, 01:57 PM
:facepalm

Salty AF. Get over it, old man.

OnFire
02-14-2015, 02:02 PM
I'm not going to bother what he said but Klay Thompson would score 80 points per game in George Gervin's era.

OnFire
02-14-2015, 02:04 PM

I'm not sure but none of those guys play SG. Was Kareem and Moses guarding Gervin?

LAZERUSS
02-14-2015, 02:23 PM
Postseason?

I know a LOT of players who averaged more than 22 ppg in the postseason. And more than 18 ppg in the finals.

How many of them were grabbing 25 rpg, blocking 8 bpg, shooting 10% over the league eFG% average, and massively outscoring, outrebounding, outsassisting, outblocking, and outshooting their opposing centers...and in doing so in some 60% of their games against HOF centers?

How many of them averaged 30-27-5-8 .518 FG% (and outshot the league averaged by 10%) in ONE SERIES...much less over the course of their first 67 playoff games (35 of which were against Russell and another six against Thurmond)?

How many of them had entire post-seasons of 33 ppg, 35 ppg, 37 ppg and 37 ppg? How many of them had post-season series of 37 ppg, 37 ppg, 38 ppg and 39 ppg?

How many of them had THREE "must-win" playoff games of 50+ points? Or a must-win Finals game of 45?

How many of them outrebounded every opposing center in all of their post-season series? How many of them were the leading rebounder in 28 of their 29 post-season series (and then slaughtered the one guy who had an edge in another Finals series)?

How many of them had a post-season of 22-29-9 .579 (and outshot the post-season league average by 13 percentage points)?

How many of them had back-to-back triple-double series with averages of 29-27-11 (on .617 shooting), and 22-32-10 (on .556 shooting) in post-season NBA's that shot .440?

How many of them averaged 23 rpg at age 36 in 17 post-season games, and in a post-season NBA that averaged 50.6 rpg per team?

How many of them put up MUST-WIN averages of 31.1 ppg, 26.4 rpg, .540 FG% (and again, in post-seasons that shot .435)?

How many of them averaged 37 ppg in MUST WIN games in their first six playoff seasons?

How many of them took 40-40 teams to a game seven, one point loss, against a HOF-laden team that went 62-18, and in doing so, averaged 30.1 ppg, 31.4 rpg, and shot .555 from the field...all accomplished against whom many regard as the greatest defensive center in NBA history?

VengefulAngel
02-14-2015, 02:29 PM
How many of them were grabbing 25 rpg, blocking 8 bpg, shooting 10% over the league eFG% average, and massively outscoring, outrebounding, outsassisting, outblocking, and outshooting their opposing centers...and in doing so in some 60% of their games against HOF centers?

How many of them averaged 30-27-5-8 .518 FG% (and outshot the league averaged by 10%) in ONE SERIES...much less over the course of their first 67 playoff games (35 of which were against Russell and another six against Thurmond)?

How many of them had entire post-seasons of 33 ppg, 35 ppg, 37 ppg and 37 ppg? How many of them had post-season series of 37 ppg, 37 ppg, 38 ppg and 39 ppg?

How many of them had THREE "must-win" playoff games of 50+ points? Or a must-win Finals game of 45?

How many of them outrebounded every opposing center in all of their post-season series? How many of them were the leading rebounder in 28 of their 29 post-season series (and then slaughtered the one guy who had an edge in another Finals series)?

How many of them had a post-season of 22-29-9 .579 (and outshot the post-season league average by 13 percentage points)?

How many of them had back-to-back triple-double series with averages of 29-27-11 (on .617 shooting), and 22-32-10 (on .556 shooting) in post-season NBA's that shot .440?

How many of them averaged 23 rpg at age 36 in 17 post-season games, and in a post-season NBA that averaged 50.6 rpg per team?

How many of them put up MUST-WIN averages of 31.1 ppg, 26.4 rpg, .540 FG% (and again, in post-seasons that shot .435)?

How many of them averaged 37 ppg in MUST WIN games in their first six playoff seasons?

How many of them took 40-40 teams to a game seven, one point loss, against a HOF-laden team that went 62-18, and in doing so, averaged 30.1 ppg, 31.4 rpg, and shot .555 from the field...all accomplished against whom many regard as the greatest defensive center in NBA history?

why do you even bother responding to them?

You're just wasting a lot of time and effort.

Jud
02-14-2015, 02:49 PM
Well he did score 33 in one quarter without a 3 point line which is impressive.

PejaTheSerbSnip
02-14-2015, 02:54 PM
I will say this, its kind of hilarious that Gervin rips on the efficiency of the 3 point shot then questions the legitimacy of Klay supplanting his record, presumably because said 3 pt shot is an unfair advantage for modern day players.

Like, wtf? Contradiction much?

Heavincent
02-14-2015, 03:41 PM
Some older people still have the outdated philosophy that 3's are bad. If you have good 3 point shooters, you should be taking a bunch of 3's. It's basic math really. Some teams like the Rockers take it too far, but look at the last few title teams...Spurs, Heat, and Mavs took a ton of 3's.

Floor spacing is probably the most vital component to an offense now. Your offense will suck if you don't have good shooters. Period.

JellyBean
02-14-2015, 04:02 PM
I hope that I am not that salty when I get into my 60s and 70s. Jeez. Just give Klay Thompson some props and move on.

Artillery
02-14-2015, 04:13 PM
Some older people still have the outdated philosophy that 3's are bad. If you have good 3 point shooters, you should be taking a bunch of 3's. It's basic math really. Some teams like the Rockers take it too far, but look at the last few title teams...Spurs, Heat, and Mavs took a ton of 3's.

Floor spacing is probably the most vital component to an offense now. Your offense will suck if you don't have good shooters. Period.

Pretty much. Even Popovich says he hates the three point shot but he understands how valuable it is in the modern NBA and utilizes it accordingly.

GOBB
02-14-2015, 04:32 PM
Real simple in the record book place an asterisk or just make mention that Klay broke the record when there was a 3pt shot whereas Gervin did his without.

Nothing wrong with Gervin having pride in his record that stood for so long. a lot of you dudes criticizing Gervin cant even swallow your pride and admit someone is right, made good/great points in a f*cking debate. So how can you sit there and condemn Gervin? You cant. Cut the shit. :rolleyes: