PDA

View Full Version : Modern women would beat 1960s men in most Olympic events

Bodhi
02-14-2015, 01:44 PM
Seriously. Thanks to improved nutrition and training methods, today's female Olympic athletes are faster and stronger than male athletes were in the 1960s

For example
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_record_progression_100_metres_freestyle
Women's world record - 52.07
Men's world record in 1960 -54.6

So with that said, what kind of numbers do you think Brittney Griner would put up if she could play in the NBA in 1960?

Roundball_Rock
02-14-2015, 01:47 PM
Why limit it to the 60's? Athletes today are bigger, stronger, faster and better trained today than they were even 20 years ago.

Jasper22
02-14-2015, 01:55 PM
Only in non-contact, minimal strength, cardiovascular based events such as running, swimming, diving, gymnastics etc.. Due to advances in nutrition, anbolics, training methodology as you stated.

Competitions like Judo, Wrestling, 'Throwing sports', team sports, nah m8.

SHAQisGOAT
02-14-2015, 02:01 PM
Only in non-contact, minimal strength, cardiovascular based events such as running, swimming, diving, gymnastics etc.. Due to advances in nutrition, anbolics, training methodology as you stated.

Competitions like Judo, Wrestling, 'Throwing sports', team sports, nah m8.

Equipment, accessories, so on... also play a big part in it. Ofc these ignorant kids bring up stuff without even knowing what they're talking about

sd3035
02-14-2015, 02:01 PM
Wilt was about as athletic as today's average WNBA player

JohnMax
02-14-2015, 02:04 PM
Florence Griffith Joyner's records for 100m and 200m have yet to be broken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2MGfxwl3WM

Beastmode88
02-14-2015, 02:06 PM

:biggums: :biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

Arnold said he was doing 200 lb dumbbell tricep extensions.

CavaliersFTW
02-14-2015, 02:09 PM
:biggums: :biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

Arnold said he was doing 200 lb dumbbell tricep extensions.
Women today can twerk, do you know how much muscle mass that requires?

#Evolution #Nutritionandtraining

Overdrive
02-14-2015, 02:09 PM
Seriously. Thanks to improved nutrition and training methods, today's female Olympic athletes are faster and stronger than male athletes were in the 1960s

For example

So with that said, what kind of numbers do you think Brittney Griner would put up if she could play in the NBA in 1960?

Would the women world record holder have to run in 60s shoes?

CavaliersFTW
02-14-2015, 02:10 PM
Not to mention a cinder track

CavaliersFTW
02-14-2015, 02:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEt_Xgg8dzc

No human alive on our planet of 7 billion people can duplicate this jump right now

Bodhi
02-14-2015, 02:16 PM
For this hypothetical, Griner gets to keep her Nikes

Bodhi
02-14-2015, 02:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEt_Xgg8dzc

No human alive on our planet of 7 billion people can duplicate this jump right now
Plenty of people could if they were jumping two miles above sea level in Mexico City

OnFire
02-14-2015, 02:22 PM
Why do women want so bad to be as good as men at sports. YOU WILL NEVER BE SORRY.

Not even in billiards, bowling, golf, etc can the women compete with the men...

Women are probably better or at least can be than men in almost every other thing but give it up you are never going to be able to compete at the elite level of sports.

Men that are smaller can't even compete in Physical competitions.. thats why in combat sports there are weight classes.

When I was in High School we had a 24-0 Girls Varsity Basketball team.... after a full football practice we took 2 fat linemen, a 5'10 safety, a 6'4" linebacker that only played non-organized bball (me) and a 5'8 corner and played their starting 5 and they did not even score 1 point. 21-0.

At 6'8 200lbs even Griner would get knocked on her ass by Steph Curry if he boxed her out.

LAZERUSS
02-14-2015, 02:26 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Griner going up against the likes of Russell, Bellamy, Reed, Thurmond, Kareem, and Chamberlain.

BTW, this guy pretty much blows away the theory that today's athletes are significantly better than those of yesteryear...

https://www.ted.com/talks/david_epstein_are_athletes_really_getting_faster_b etter_stronger#t-56886

Taller than CP3
02-14-2015, 02:27 PM
all I know is Diana Taurasi shits all over Elgin Baylor in today's game

CavaliersFTW
02-14-2015, 02:28 PM
Plenty of people could if they were jumping two miles above sea level in Mexico City
:oldlol:

No

If they could, they would, as it would count as an official world record.

Competitors are desperate to break world records. The best jumpers in the world aren't really getting close to Beamon of 50 years ago, nor Carl Lewis and Mike Powell of 30 years ago

Even with modern PED's those old records are out of reach.

LAZERUSS
02-14-2015, 02:29 PM

Post some footage of Taurasi doing this please...(keep in mind that this guy was playing college ball in the 60's)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qv0YS1wHoQ

LAZERUSS
02-14-2015, 02:32 PM

Griner against Hakeem?

Who you gonna take?

Hakeem against an old Kareem? :roll: :roll: :roll:

LAZERUSS
02-14-2015, 02:34 PM
Is Griner a full 7-1+, 290-310 lbs, with a 40" vertical, a 7-8 wingspan, able to bench 500+ lbs, and run a 4.4 40?

Psileas
02-14-2015, 02:51 PM

For example

Really now? Swimming? Some of the most technology dependent sports that exist? :facepalm Mark Spitz in the 90's, at the age of 40+, was rivaling or even beating the times he was getting in his prime just due to wearing more modern swimming suits. :oldlol:
And nice job leaving out PEDs, as if modern swimmers (and athletes in general) become what they are thanks to "nutrition".

swagga
02-14-2015, 03:03 PM

For example

just fyi, it says women in the title, so let's stick to that discussion.
but i bet you cappie pondexter would drill cousy's ass tbh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGqcLQTEDZw

LAZERUSS
02-14-2015, 03:05 PM
just fyi, it says women in the title, so let's stick to that discussion.
but i bet you cappie pondexter would drill cousy's ass tbh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGqcLQTEDZw

Let "Cappie" and Telfair play a match, with the loser getting executed...and how do you think that turns out?

In fact, I would carry that out even further...

If Cappie makes a single basket, Telfair gets executed...

do you really think she would?

swagga
02-14-2015, 03:11 PM
Let "Cappie" and Telfair play a match, with the loser getting executed...and how do you think that turns out?

In fact, I would carry that out even further...

If Cappie makes a single basket, Telfair gets executed...

do you really think she would?

old timer, I put the link as an example of skill. ofc telfair rapes her in a real game. on the other hand she has skills >>>>>>>>> cousy's (handle, shooting, penetration). Can't fight evolution gramps.

LAZERUSS
02-14-2015, 03:14 PM
old timer, I put the link as an example of skill. ofc telfair rapes her in a real game. on the other hand she has skills >>>>>>>>> cousy's (handle, shooting, penetration). Can't fight evolution gramps.

I don't see anything from any player today, that wasn't being done by NBA players in the 60's. Nothing.

swagga
02-14-2015, 03:23 PM
I don't see anything from any player today, that wasn't being done by NBA players in the 60's. Nothing.

:roll: are you blind old man?

LAZERUSS
02-14-2015, 03:27 PM
:roll: are you blind old man?

Are you in pre-school? You have ZERO knowledge about the game.

Serious question...

how do you think Hakeem would have fared in today's NBA?

MiseryCityTexas
02-14-2015, 03:35 PM

Demarcus Cousins is the best center in the league today, and prime Wilt Chamberlain was a 100 times better than him.

swagga
02-14-2015, 03:48 PM
Are you in pre-school? You have ZERO knowledge about the game.

Serious question...

how do you think Hakeem would have fared in today's NBA?

lol retard we are talking about the 60s. Leave hakeem out of this, he'd be a beast today.

did we have low post action like al jefferson/hakeem/duncan in the 60s?
did we have high post action with turn around Js like kobe/wade/mj/etc in the 60s?
did we have rimrocking power slams on the regular in the 60s? i'm talking vince carter/mj/lebron/young kobe/tmac level.
did we have 360, windmills, statue of liberty, long alley oops etc dunks in the 60s?
did we have double crossovers, in-and-outs, tim hardway style crossover, between the legs behind the back, etc ... guard moves in the 60s?
did we have consistent 3p shooting in the 60s?
did we have plays like horns, screen-the-screen, elevator, loop and so on in the 60s?
did we have cross court one hand lebron passes, cp3 pocket pnr passes or elbow passes in the 60s?
did we have eurostep in the 60s?
i can go on and on..

niggga I'm talking ON THE REGULAR not once in a controlled environment at a globetrotters game. bring it on old timer.

gramps you have zero knowledge of how much I'm shitting on you right now.

LAZERUSS
02-14-2015, 03:49 PM
Demarcus Cousins is the best center in the league today, and prime Wilt Chamberlain was a 100 times better than him.

And centers like Lanier, Gilmore, McAdoo, Moses, and Kareem would have wiped the floor with Cousins, as well.

swagga
02-14-2015, 03:50 PM

rebounding yes, defensively yes.
jumper no. post moves no. fts no. ball handling no.
mental strength draw :roll:

oh and cousins is far from the best C in the game.

LAZERUSS
02-14-2015, 03:52 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCWrGWuU2Ak

Wilt might shatter his 100 point game against the 6-9 1/2 Cousins.

swagga
02-14-2015, 03:56 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCWrGWuU2Ak

Wilt might shatter his 100 point game against the 6-9 1/2 Cousins.

I like how you ignore the posts where your arguments are shitted on and simply diverge into new idiotic conversations. must be dementia old man, you better have that shit checked or else you gonna wake up one day and think it's 1960.... reading some of your posts makes me wonder if that's not already happening.

fyi i'd take wilt over cousins but 100 points in this era is :lol

LAZERUSS
02-14-2015, 03:56 PM

Again...how would Hakeem do in the current NBA?

jzek
02-14-2015, 03:57 PM
And yet ppl laugh when others say that McGee would dominate just like Wilt in the old era...

jzek
02-14-2015, 03:59 PM

Considering Hakeem destroyed some of the all time great centers like Robinson, Shaq, Ewing, etc., it's safe to say Hakeem would accomplish AT LEAST twice more of what he accomplished in the 80s/90s.

I mean, we got All Star centers like that Pacer dude who's name I'm forgetting. Hakeem would routinely drop 45+ on him in his prime... by halftime.

LAZERUSS
02-14-2015, 04:00 PM
And yet ppl laugh when others say that McGee would dominate just like Wilt in the old era...

What is laughable, is that McGee was an 8 ppg 5 rpg player in COLLEGE, and in years in which Tyler Hansborough was the best player in COLLEGE.

He wasn't even average against horrific competition.

MiseryCityTexas
02-14-2015, 04:01 PM

Wilt had a consistent turnaround fallaway jumper even though he couldn't knock down freethrows.

swagga
02-14-2015, 04:04 PM

he'd dominate you dumb fagggot but we are not talking about hakeem because we are talking about the 60s, but your dumb troll ass can't maintain a logic flow because it is inflicted with dementia and sclerosis.

no go do your "hakeem vs kareem -> kareem = hakeem then wilt vs kareem -> wilt = kareem -> wilt = hakeem -> wilt would dominate today. cousy played in the same era with wilt-> cousy would be effective today" demented troll idiotic ridden agenda.

that's 3 Ls in a thread gramps.

swagga
02-14-2015, 04:05 PM
Wilt had a consistent turnaround fallaway jumper from at most 3 feet , even though he couldn't knock down freethrows.

corrected, and it does not qualify for a real 12-15ft jumper.

LAZERUSS
02-14-2015, 04:06 PM
Considering Hakeem destroyed some of the all time great centers like Robinson, Shaq, Ewing, etc., it's safe to say Hakeem would accomplish AT LEAST twice more of what he accomplished in the 80s/90s.

I mean, we got All Star centers like that Pacer dude who's name I'm forgetting. Hakeem would routinely drop 45+ on him in his prime... by halftime.

So when a 39 year old Kareem averaged 33 ppg on .620 shooting against Hakeem, with games of 40+, and a 40 year old Kareem badly outplayed him in their 86-87 season...

and yet a peak Kareem was being outscored and outshot by an aging Thurmond in the '72 playoffs, and his high game against Nate was 34 points...

and yet Kareem never came close to Chamberlain's records, despite playing four years IN the Wilt-era...nor cam remotely close to the utter domination that a prime Chamberlain carpet-bombed a peak Thurmond by (as well as centers like Reed, Imhoff, Fox, Dierking, and Bellamy...none of whom a peak Kareem came within light-years of the destruction that a prime Chamberlain murdered them by)...

we can now safely assume that the best centers of the 60's and 70's (guys like Cowens, Hayes, Lanier, Gilmore, McAdoo, and Moses)...would be just as dominant TODAY, right?

swagga
02-14-2015, 04:09 PM
So when a 39 year old Kareem averaged 33 ppg on .620 shooting against Hakeem, with games of 40+, and a 40 year old Kareem badly outplayed him in their 86-87 season...

and yet a peak Kareem was being outscored and outshot by an aging Thurmond in the '72 playoffs, and his high game against Nate was 34 points...

and yet Kareem never came close to Chamberlain's records, despite playing four years IN the Wilt-era...nor cam remotely close to the utter domination that a prime Chamberlain carpet-bombed a peak Thurmond by (as well as centers like Reed, Imhoff, Fox, Dierking, and Bellamy...none of whom a peak Kareem came within light-years of the destruction that a prime Chamberlain murdered them by)...

we can now safely assume that the best centers of the 60's and 70's (guys like Cowens, Hayes, Lanier, Gilmore, McAdoo, and Moses)...would be just as dominant TODAY, right?

he'd dominate you dumb fagggot but we are not talking about hakeem because we are talking about the 60s, but your dumb troll ass can't maintain a logic flow because it is inflicted with dementia and sclerosis.

no go do your "hakeem vs kareem -> kareem = hakeem then wilt vs kareem -> wilt = kareem -> wilt = hakeem -> wilt would dominate today. cousy played in the same era with wilt-> cousy would be effective today" demented troll idiotic ridden agenda.

that's 3 Ls in a thread gramps.

because the nature of the game, context, rules and competition quality are just not relevant. stats baby:lol

dreamwarrior
02-14-2015, 04:15 PM
Better training, nutrition, and better roids...

LAZERUSS
02-14-2015, 04:18 PM
because the nature of the game, context, rules and competition quality are just not relevant. stats baby:lol

An old washed up Moses was outebounding a Hakeem in year's in which Hakeem won a rebounding title (88-89) in their seasonal H2H's.

A 40 year old Kareem badly outplayed a 24 year old Hakeem, and a 39 year old Kareem destroyed him.

And yet, a prime Moses was just crushing a near-prime Kareem. And McAdoo was hanging 45 point games on a prime Kareem. And an old Thurmond was badly outplaying a peak Kareem. And NONE of those guys, including a PEAK Kareem ever came close to what a PRIME Chamberlain was accomplishing.

A prime Shaq's career high game against an old Hakeem was 37 points. A 39 year old Kareem had a 46 point game, on 21-30 shooting, and in only 37 minutes against a much more prime Hakeem. Oh, and a washed up, overweight Shaq hung a 45 point game as recently as 2009.

What does all of that tell you about the "competition" of previous era's?

swagga
02-14-2015, 04:22 PM
An old washed up Moses was outebounding a Hakeem in year's in which Hakeem won a rebounding title (88-89) in their seasonal H2H's.

A 40 year old Kareem badly outplayed a 24 year old Hakeem, and a 39 year old Kareem destroyed him.

And yet, a prime Moses was just crushing a near-prime Kareem. And McAdoo was hanging 45 point games on a prime Kareem. And an old Thurmond was badly outplaying a peak Kareem. And NONE of those guys, including a PEAK Kareem ever came close to what a PRIME Chamberlain was accomplishing.

A prime Shaq's career high game against an old Hakeem was 37 points. A 39 year old Kareem had a 46 point game, on 21-30 shooting, and in only 37 minutes against a much more prime Hakeem. Oh, and a washed up, overweight Shaq hung a 45 point game as recently as 2009.

What does all of that tell you about the "competition" of previous era's?

it tells me a player's impact goes beyond a single game and that in your time statistics wasn't taught in schools. it also tells me you are a gimmick poster. stay taking Ls gramps.

LAZERUSS
02-14-2015, 04:29 PM
it tells me a player's impact goes beyond a single game and that in your time statistics wasn't taught in schools. it also tells me you are a gimmick poster. stay taking Ls gramps.

A 38-41 year old Kareem outscored a 23-26 year old Hakeem in their 23 career H2H's, and also outshot him by a .607 to .512 margin.

A 22-25 year old Kareem shot .447 against a 28-31 year old Thurmond, in some 35 H2H's, with a high game of 34 points.

A prime Chamberlain outscored a peak Thurmond by a 21-2-1 margin in their first 24 H2H's, including beatdowns by margins of 38-15 and 45-13. He also shot a CAREER .540 against Thurmond, while holding Thurmond to a CAREER .360 FG%. Furthermore, a PRIME Chamberlain outscored a PEAK Thurmond in their '66-67 H2H's by a 21 ppg to 13 ppg margin, and outshot him by...get this... a .633 to .320 margin.

These are not isolated one game samples, my friend. These are HUGE samples, including CAREER matchups.

Please try again...

swagga
02-14-2015, 04:36 PM
A 38-41 year old Kareem outscored a 23-26 year old Hakeem in their 23 career H2H's, and also outshot him by a .607 to .512 margin.

A 22-25 year old Kareem shot .447 against a 28-31 year old Thurmond, in some 35 H2H's, with a high game of 34 points.

A prime Chamberlain outscored a peak Thurmond by a 21-2-1 margin in their first 24 H2H's, including beatdowns by margins of 38-15 and 45-13. He also shot a CAREER .540 against Thurmond, while holding Thurmond to a CAREER .360 FG%. Furthermore, a PRIME Chamberlain outscored a PEAK Thurmond in their '66-67 H2H's by a 21 ppg to 13 ppg margin, and outshot him by...get this... a .633 to .320 margin.

These are not isolated one game samples, my friend. These are HUGE samples, including CAREER matchups.

Please try again...

not considering:
- team composition and help defense
- team strategy and other team roles
- H2H isn't the best metric for era comparison
- rock-paper-scissors matchups -> kareem did bad against thurmond and wilt did good against thurmond but kareem did very well against wilt.
- not playing during peaks

basketball is not only stats gramps.

R.I.P.
02-14-2015, 04:41 PM

For example

100 metres

10.0 Men 1960
10.49 Women

200 metres

20.5 Men 1960
21.34 Women

800 metres

1.44 Men 1962
1.53 Women

Long Jump

8.21m Men 1960
7.52 Women

High Jump

2.22m Men 1960
2.09m Women

So a big fat NO. Men of the 1960

Bodhi
02-14-2015, 05:12 PM
Anyways, to get back on topic, in the 1960s NBA, I forsee Brittney Griner putting up a clean 24/9 on 54% shooting. Poor man defense but elite help defense

Marchesk
02-14-2015, 06:53 PM

For example

In 1954, Roger Bannister became the first human to run a sub four minute mile. The women's mile record with modern shoes and running surfaces is 4:12. Bannister didn't have time to fully commit to training as he was studying to be a nuerologist in medical school.

In 1964, Jim Ryun became the first high schooler to break 4 minutes as a 17 year old. His 3:55 time as a senior wasn't broken for 36 years (as a HS record).

There is a Ted Talk comparing Jesse Owen's WR Olympic time in the 1938 Berlin games to Bolt's Olympic record time. If you adjust for shoes, track surfaces, and starting blocks, Owen's would have only finished .1 seconds behind Bolt. And Bolt is by all standards, a freak of nature.

So if Bolt was running like 9.64, Owen's would have clocked in at 9.74.

That's what PEDs, better nutrition and training get you in all that time, comparing two elite athletes from vastly different eras.

The point is that Banninster, Ryun and Owens most likely would be elite Olympic athletes today, given the same modern advantages.

32jazz
02-14-2015, 08:11 PM

So how many people have long jumped in Mexico besides Bob Beamon in the past 50 years without breaking the record?

Did track events in Mexico end after 1968?

rmt
02-14-2015, 09:00 PM
Novak Djokovic (#1 tennis player in the world) wouldn't be #1 if he hadn't found out about his intolerance to gluten - could last in 5 set matches. Who knew about gluten allergies back in the 70s & even 80s. After he went on a gluten-free diet, he was able to increase his endurance (not have breathing problems).

OnFire
02-14-2015, 09:13 PM

This sounds like some shit like what would be called MMATH on Sherdog. Just because A > B in a small sample size of matchups, and B > C in a small sample size of matchups.. doesn't mean A > C necessarilly.

When you say, "we can now safely assume" what you are really saying is, "we can make stuff up and pretend there's some data in there".

oh the horror
02-14-2015, 09:54 PM
My favorite current argument is the belief that humans have advanced to super human levels in the past 20 years :roll:

Is this the dumbest generation of youth ever?

Psileas
02-14-2015, 10:27 PM
This sounds like some shit like what would be called MMATH on Sherdog. Just because A > B in a small sample size of matchups, and B > C in a small sample size of matchups.. doesn't mean A > C necessarilly.

When you say, "we can now safely assume" what you are really saying is, "we can make stuff up and pretend there's some data in there".

Strictly statistically, it may be a small sample, but legacies are shaped through such sample sizes. Hakeem beating Robinson, Jordan beating Drexler, etc, are also products of small sample sizes...

jstern
02-15-2015, 12:40 AM
It's all a little deseptive. Where's that Ted video. The one that compares these things, and shows that the deference between Jesse Owens and Usan Volt's best is very slight, due to things like the track that they ran in.

Here it goes. https://www.ted.com/talks/david_epstein_are_athletes_really_getting_faster_b etter_stronger?language=en

Marchesk
02-15-2015, 12:47 AM
It's all a little deseptive. Where's that Ted video. The one that compares these things, and shows that the deference between Jesse Owens and Usan Volt's best is very slight, due to things like the track that they ran in.

Here it goes. https://www.ted.com/talks/david_epstein_are_athletes_really_getting_faster_b etter_stronger?language=en

Yeah, that one. The .1 second difference between the two of them, once you factor in modern technology, is probably due to nutrition, better training and PEDs.

Also, Bolt is a once in a generation kind of athlete. I believe he set the WR ahead of the curve. But so was Owens.

Bay Area Baller
02-15-2015, 01:53 AM

I prefer Jackie Joyner Kersee. The things she did for women's track and field were amazing. Very competitive broke all kinds of records. But she battled with hamstring injuries, but rehabed through it to still compete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcLOoBm43Xc

deja vu
02-15-2015, 05:45 AM
I've read somewhere that ancient humans in Africa can run faster than Bolt. I need to Google it.

Found it:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/6372432/Usain-Bolt-would-have-been-outrun-by-our-ancestors-claims-anthropologist.html

tomtucker
02-15-2015, 06:26 AM

rumors of drug use

R.I.P.
02-15-2015, 07:22 AM
Novak Djokovic (#1 tennis player in the world) wouldn't be #1 if he hadn't found out about his intolerance to gluten - could last in 5 set matches. Who knew about gluten allergies back in the 70s & even 80s. After he went on a gluten-free diet, he was able to increase his endurance (not have breathing problems).

Yeah the gluten free diet and Wade

Eric Cartman
02-15-2015, 07:28 AM
Stupidest thing I've read in my 9 years here.