PDA

View Full Version : Has Dwights Magic years become underrated now?

Smoke117
02-14-2015, 08:34 PM
I remember in that future hall of famers there were people actually saying he wasn't a hall of famer...:biggums:

Here is his career resume up to this point:

GP: 800
Min: 28618
PPG: 18.2ppg
RPG: 12.8rpg
1.5apg
2.1bpg
1.0spg
3.1topg
fg%: .579
FT%: .573%
TS%: .598

Playoff numbers: 20.3ppg 14.1rpg 1.4apg 2.7bpg 0.8spg 3.5topg .594%FG .

- DPOY 3 straight seasons

- First team all NBA Five straight seasons, 2nd Team 2014

- First team All Defensive Team four straight seasons, 2nd team 2008

He could retire today and he would be a first ballot hall of famer. He's only 29 too...

The aspect of his game on the Magic that is most underrated now is the defense. How easily people forget what a monster he was just 3 short years ago. Even in that 2012 season before he went down with his back he was dominant with easily the best impact in the game defensively. His numbers may not be gaudy and that's why he's underrated...but the impact was all time great. If you think guys like Ben Wallace, Mutombo, Dennis Rodman are hofers than Howard easily has to be one. He gave you around those guys impact defensively (worse peak than wallace, better than mutombo imo) while also being able to put in 18-20ppg. Great rebounder too.

He also has led his team to the finals as the man so there's that. He's 29 and already accomplished more than most players can imagine. It doesn't look like his body is going to cooperate much though for the remainder of his career. I get that people find him off putting, but you can't dismiss Dwight Howards impact as a basketball player before his back injury and now knee problems.

However awkward he may be on offense, he was just as skilled defensively. It takes more than that amazing athleticism to be as dominant as he was. It's devastating for him that his body started falling apart while he was just a couple years into his prime.

Milbuck
02-14-2015, 08:41 PM
2009-2011 Dwight is a criminally underrated player. Dude was a force. People often talk about how you can't build a championship team around Dwight, how you need him to be your #2...but peak Orlando Dwight was fully capable. If he had a Lillard-type 2nd option to draw attention from defenses and be a reliable primary ball handler, and take a ton of pressure off as a go-to clutch player..who knows.

The problem is that the further away we get from those years, the more people are gonna clump his last few years with LA and Houston with those years. But back then he was a legit MVP-type player.

Ariza4three
02-14-2015, 08:42 PM
He is point blank one of the greatest defenders of alltime. Top 10 AT LEAST.

Top Gun
02-14-2015, 08:49 PM
No doubt. Give him the supporting casts that the last few champs have had, back when he was in his peak, and he would have been in the finals most years.

Roundball_Rock
02-14-2015, 08:59 PM
Yes they have. He was the second best player in the league imo at his peak in 2011. People underrate that 09' run to the Finals. Boston was without KG but they still had a top 5 or so winning percentage after he got hurt. Orlando had a tough series against them in the ECSF and then had to face LeBron putting up 38/8/8 in the ECF. I think they are underrated because they were trounced in the Finals. Howard was the best player on a Finals team and the following year they backed it up with 59-60 wins and a trip to the ECF.

His offensive game was often criticized but he was still capable of scoring 19-21 ppg along with being the league's most dominant defender and best rebounder. It is a shame he started having health issues during what should have been his peak years.

Pushxx
02-14-2015, 09:08 PM
He was robbed of an MVP. He definitely deserved it over Rose that year.

StephHamann
02-14-2015, 09:10 PM
2009-2011 Dwight is a criminally underrated player. Dude was a force. People often talk about how you can't build a championship team around Dwight, how you need him to be your #2...but peak Orlando Dwight was fully capable. If he had a Lillard-type 2nd option to draw attention from defenses and be a reliable primary ball handler, and take a ton of pressure off as a go-to clutch player..who knows.

The problem is that the further away we get from those years, the more people are gonna clump his last few years with LA and Houston with those years. But back then he was a legit MVP-type player.

So what you're saying is Dwight needs to be a 2nd option :lol

inclinerator
02-14-2015, 09:39 PM
yea he was a beast, probably would be the 2nd best player in today's league after lebron

TheMarkMadsen
02-14-2015, 09:40 PM
yeah he was an incredible talent and an unstoppable force in 09. Whoever was able to lead their team to victory of his team in the playoffs is an goat level player in my book

IncarceratedBob
02-14-2015, 09:43 PM
He was good, such a weak era for bigs though

tpols
02-14-2015, 10:27 PM
I
However awkward he may be on offense, he was just as skilled defensively. It takes more than that amazing athleticism to be as dominant as he was. It's devastating for him that his body started falling apart while he was just a couple years into his prime.
He's skilled defensively no doubt.. but the overall game was 90% athleticism.. otherwise he wouldn't have fell off at an age most players peak at. He got owned by a truly skilled player in pau.. highlighting the difference.

Lebronxrings
02-14-2015, 10:31 PM
he was incredible. Too bad playing with kobe damaged his career permanently. Was made into a spot up shooter . :facepalm

Prime_Shaq
02-14-2015, 10:39 PM
I thought he was the best player overall in 2011. His defensive impact was amazing and will always be there but his offensive progression was too slow in my opinion. Was straight up dominating opponents with athleticism alone, had he added some more offensive moves he could've been real high up there with many great Centers.

HylianNightmare
02-14-2015, 10:41 PM
Very underrated. I had a talk with a co worker of mine who laughed when I said dwights a lock for the HOF. Allot of people forget how good he made those magic teams defensively. Dude was such a beast back then. You had guy's like Turk rashard jameer playing heavy minutes and the magic were great defensively because he controlled the paint and the team was built around that. One of the main reasons I wish Dwight the best he really made Orlando good for a few years there. And when he had a very favorable matchup with the Cavs in 09 he exploited that by going to work offensively as well

mshahidz
02-15-2015, 02:58 AM
The problem for Dwight is that his offensive game didn't not progress and evolve as it should have...he will always be remembered for poor offense. He was an absolute beast on D.

Smoke117
02-15-2015, 03:07 AM
He's skilled defensively no doubt.. but the overall game was 90% athleticism.. otherwise he wouldn't have fell off at an age most players peak at. He got owned by a truly skilled player in pau.. highlighting the difference.

Uhm...okay, tell me why isn't Javalle Mcgee one of the greatest 10-15 defensive players all time too, then? I mean it's all athleticism...right? Clown.

Why don't you go have serious back surgery on one of your disc and tell me how you feel when you go back to work? And what do you do? Push numbers probably...Dwight Howard is a PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE. You laker fans are morons when it comes to recognizing and respecting anyone who isn't your "MOVIE STAR" talent. There is a reason Pau left you to become bottom feeders...

tpols
02-15-2015, 03:19 AM
Uhm...okay, tell me why isn't Javalle Mcgee one of the greatest 10-15 defensive players all time too, then? I mean it's all athleticism...right? Clown.

Why don't you go have serious back surgery on one of your disc and tell me how you feel when you go back to work? And what do you do? Push numbers probably...Dwight Howard is a PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE. You laker fans are morons when it comes to recognizing and respecting anyone who isn't your "MOVIE STAR" talent. There is a reason Pau left you to become bottom feeders...

Javale McGee is retarded.. and completely unskilled. I said dwight was skilled defensively.. it was his offense that was 95% athleticism. Defense was maybe 80%.. still a lot. His strength jumping and speed were all great and contributed greatly to his shot blocking and rebounding. he also competed in a shit era for centers

Timmy D for MVP
02-15-2015, 03:22 AM
He's always been underrated. He should have an MVP and the fact that he dragged that Magic team to the Finals is unreal.

COnDEMnED
02-15-2015, 03:27 AM
I remember in that future hall of famers there were people actually saying he wasn't a hall of famer...:biggums:

Here is his career resume up to this point:

GP: 800
Min: 28618
PPG: 18.2ppg
RPG: 12.8rpg
1.5apg
2.1bpg
1.0spg
3.1topg
fg%: .579
FT%: .573%
TS%: .598

Playoff numbers: 20.3ppg 14.1rpg 1.4apg 2.7bpg 0.8spg 3.5topg .594%FG .

- DPOY 3 straight seasons

- First team all NBA Five straight seasons, 2nd Team 2014

- First team All Defensive Team four straight seasons, 2nd team 2008

He could retire today and he would be a first ballot hall of famer. He's only 29 too...

The aspect of his game on the Magic that is most underrated now is the defense. How easily people forget what a monster he was just 3 short years ago. Even in that 2012 season before he went down with his back he was dominant with easily the best impact in the game defensively. His numbers may not be gaudy and that's why he's underrated...but the impact was all time great. If you think guys like Ben Wallace, Mutombo, Dennis Rodman are hofers than Howard easily has to be one. He gave you around those guys impact defensively (worse peak than wallace, better than mutombo imo) while also being able to put in 18-20ppg. Great rebounder too.

He also has led his team to the finals as the man so there's that. He's 29 and already accomplished more than most players can imagine. It doesn't look like his body is going to cooperate much though for the remainder of his career. I get that people find him off putting, but you can't dismiss Dwight Howards impact as a basketball player before his back injury and now knee problems.

He very well may retire today. Guys going to be a gimp.

Jud
02-15-2015, 03:30 AM
So many people give him nothing but trash so he gets overlooked for what was

Mr. Jabbar
02-15-2015, 03:48 AM
he was pretty overrated at that time, he has found his rightful place with the passing of years :applause:

big shoulders, cool...nickname superman, golf clap...swatting every ball that flies even if its a goaltend or it ends outside the arena is called epic defense i guess....dude cant even play the 4th quarters cause he can shoot a free throw ffs :sleeping

T_L_P
02-15-2015, 03:53 AM
Insane in the 2009 Playoffs, MVP in 2011.

That said, his peak was 09-11 and he didn't come close to that kind of impact before or after. That's why he's not in my top ten defensive players list.

Le Shaqtus
02-15-2015, 04:35 AM
he was incredible. Too bad playing with kobe damaged his career permanently. Was made into a spot up shooter . :facepalm

I always think you can't say anything dumber, but you just prove me wrong every time.

SCdac
02-15-2015, 05:02 AM
thought he was overrated then and overrated now*. turnover prone, foul prone, no real shooting range or elite playmaking in the post. Poor FT shooter but didn't have the dominance to make up for it like Shaq. Got owned by Pau and young Bynum in the Finals. his bread and butter is defense, rebounding, and dunks, but offensively I'd take prime Amare (05) or Elton Brand of 2006 over Dwight's offense (Brand averaged 25 ppg in the RS, and 29 ppg in the second round that season). Meaning, give me a franchise big with more offensive versatility, bit more of a "go to" guy. That's one of Dwight's biggest weaknesses then and now, he can get you points but he's not necessarily an elite scorer. that 09 magic team was full of shooters and offensive players.

*note: overrated doesn't mean 'bad', it means he's not all he's made out to be

Smoke117
02-15-2015, 06:45 AM
thought he was overrated then and overrated now*. turnover prone, foul prone, no real shooting range or elite playmaking in the post. Poor FT shooter but didn't have the dominance to make up for it like Shaq. Got owned by Pau and young Bynum in the Finals. his bread and butter is defense, rebounding, and dunks, but offensively I'd take prime Amare (05) or Elton Brand of 2006 over Dwight's offense (Brand averaged 25 ppg in the RS, and 29 ppg in the second round that season). Meaning, give me a franchise big with more offensive versatility, bit more of a "go to" guy. That's one of Dwight's biggest weaknesses then and now, he can get you points but he's not necessarily an elite scorer. that 09 magic team was full of shooters and offensive players.

Comparing Dwight to Elton Brand in 2006 is ****ing ridiculous. Elton Brand is one of my favorite players ever and criminally underrated before the injury...but I just don't get what the **** you are even talking about or how they could come up in a comparison when compared to eachother...I mean...you can't bring up Amare and Brand...Elton was a very good defensive player (Amare has been garbage his ENTIRE CAREER) and a top 5 player in a individually competitive 2006...of course he was better than Dwight. The guy was averaging 25ppg on sick effiency and playing very good defense...he was a complete STUD THAT SEASON. He was never that guy before or after though.

Lebron23
02-15-2015, 06:52 AM

Give him a Gregg Popovich type of coach from Day One. And He'll be a multiple time NBA Champion in a heart beat. Pre Injury Dwight (09-11) was a top 3 player in the NBA.

Dwight is a good playoffs performer. A Career 20.3 ppg on 59.4 FG%, 14.1 bpg, and 2.8 bpg. He averaged 27 ppg and 26 ppg in the 2011 and 2014 NBA playoffs.

T_L_P
02-15-2015, 07:10 AM
Give him a Gregg Popovich type of coach from Day One. And He'll be a multiple time NBA Champion in a heart beat. Pre Injury Dwight (09-11) was a top 3 player in the NBA.

Dwight is a good playoffs performer. A Career 20.3 ppg on 59.4 FG%, 14.1 bpg, and 2.8 bpg. He averaged 27 ppg and 26 ppg in the 2011 and 2014 NBA playoffs.

He already got Stan Van, who built the perfect system for Dwight. Seriously. What could Pop have done that SVG didn't?

In fact, he'd be worse off with Pop because he wouldn't stand for Dwight's shit. Pop doesn't 'adjust' players. He dumps them when they get out of line.

Lebron23
02-15-2015, 07:20 AM
He already got Stan Van, who built the perfect system for Dwight. Seriously. What could Pop have done that SVG didn't?

In fact, he'd be worse off with Pop because he wouldn't stand for Dwight's shit. Pop doesn't 'adjust' players. He dumps them when they get out of line.

Dwight bitched a lot, but I don't think he's as bad as Stephen Jackson. :lol :lol :lol

Eric Cartman
02-15-2015, 07:55 AM

:roll: :roll:

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/20131214/4924133/dwight-howard-3-pointer-o.gif

Mamba effect :bowdown: :bowdown: