PDA

View Full Version : Who was better Vince or Lavine?

CavaliersFTW
02-15-2015, 12:15 AM
If all of Vince's best slam dunk contest dunks were done by peak Vince in this dunk contest instead of say, plumlee, who would have won this contest?

Just for fun, replace Giannis with peak athleticism 80's Michael Jordan

How do u rank em?

inclinerator
02-15-2015, 12:16 AM
lavine was better,

T_L_P
02-15-2015, 12:16 AM
Dipo

Chadwin
02-15-2015, 12:17 AM
Jason Richardson

Spurs5Rings2014
Dipo

:facepalm

bigt
Carter. Lavine's first two were fantastic, but I thought the last two was still really damn good didn't match Vince Carter. Mind you it helps we know Lavine is capable of more. Not sure he even broke a sweat tonight. But it's the dunks you do not the ones you don't

CavaliersFTW
Dipo
540 was the best dunk of the night and best dunk I've seen in a long time :applause: No gimmicks just straight crazy agility and body control.

LAZERUSS
02-15-2015, 12:18 AM
Dr. J.

Oh, and Wilt in the 50's when he was dunking on 12 ft rims.

L.Kizzle
Vince didn't miss any dunks.

inclinerator
Dr. J.

:roll:

funnystuff
02-15-2015, 12:19 AM
Dipo
:roll: :bowdown:

04mzwach
02-15-2015, 12:19 AM
I liked Vince's between the legs dunk better than Lavine's dunk but I think Lavine had the best overall performance ever.

Milbuck
02-15-2015, 12:21 AM
Lavine is gonna be the GOAT contest dunker. Started off thinking "potential to be"...but **** that. If he's doing this shit at 19, just lol at how badly he'd rape the contest at 22-24. His next dunk contest will be the unquestioned GOAT.

inclinerator
02-15-2015, 12:22 AM
best thing was he looked bored doing those dunks

L.Kizzle
I liked Vince's between the legs dunk better than Lavine's dunk but I think Lavine had the best overall performance ever.
He did three between the leg dunks.

Foster5k
Still have to give it to Vince Carter. What he did that night was historical. That was some Michael Jordan NBA Finals game 7 type of magic.

However, Zach LaVine made the Dunk Contest respectable again. He showed the world that the Dunk Contest is still alive and well. His first two dunks were breath taking. If he could have kept that up, for the last two dunks, I would have him over Vince Carter.

Right now, prime Vince Carter is still shutting down anyone in a dunk off.

KembaWalker
Vinsanity.

bigkingsfan
02-15-2015, 12:23 AM
Vince final two dunks were also weak compared to his opening round.

Noob Saibot
02-15-2015, 12:24 AM
both guys won the contest like right after their 1st attempt and make. but Carter was still more special because of the crowd factor, and he was already a well known player. until tonight, i don't think the casual fan knew of Zach Lavine's existence.

JimmyMcAdocious
02-15-2015, 12:26 AM
Vince. Lavine had a chance if he finished better.

Perfect first dunk. Perfect as in the dunk and choice of dunk. Got people hyped and with a knockout punch to his competition. Like Vince with his 360 windmill.

Second dunk was great. That probably would have been better as his Finals opener.

The other two were obviously very good dunks. However too similar for my taste, he put them back-to-back (big mistake - and especially both being in the finals), and it was a letdown after his first two. The wow factor diminished a bit.

Order aside, he could have went with his rotation and instead of his last dunk, done that windmill free throw or something of that sort (not eastbay, unless he's going from the freaking ft line) and I would probably give him the nod. Close... But no.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
02-15-2015, 12:27 AM
Vince by a **** hair

Lavine is gonna be the GOAT contest dunker. Started off thinking "potential to be"...but **** that. If he's doing this shit at 19, just lol at how badly he'd rape the contest at 22-24. His next dunk contest will be the unquestioned GOAT.
And more than likely this. Dude is doing this stuff at the age Vince was a UNC Tarheel. Can't wait for next years dunk contest, for real.

DMV2
02-15-2015, 12:28 AM
Carter wins by way of ferociousness.

Cali Syndicate
02-15-2015, 12:29 AM
Lavine gonna pull off a between the legs free throw line Windmill dunk.

LoneyROY7
Athletic light skin n*ggas got the OP shook. :roll:

Real Men Wear Green
Carter. To me missed dunks make a performance a lot less impressive.

L.Kizzle
Vince final two dunks were also weak compared to his opening round.
Yeah dunking with your elbow is weak ...

bigkingsfan
02-15-2015, 12:31 AM
Yeah dunking with your elbow is weak ...

Compared to his opening round. People weren't even that hype with the elbow dunk when he did it.

SugarHill
02-15-2015, 12:32 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtGLqzGVwo4

DMV2
02-15-2015, 12:34 AM
Athletic light skin n*ggas got the OP shook. :roll:
It was Light Skin N*gga Night.

Klay 1st round.
Curry championship round.
LaVine entire dunk show.

Schism
02-15-2015, 12:36 AM
vince and jrich

DMV2
02-15-2015, 12:37 AM
Compared to his opening round. People weren't even that hype with the elbow dunk when he did it.
it was one of those better on replay dunks.

L.Kizzle
02-15-2015, 12:37 AM
Because they didn't know what happened, it was done so fast. But the oohs and ahhs after the replay was shone.

04mzwach
02-15-2015, 12:39 AM
Still have to give it to Vince Carter. What he did that night was historical. That was some Michael Jordan NBA Finals game 7 type of magic.

However, Zach LaVine made the Dunk Contest respectable again. He showed the world that the Dunk Contest is still alive and well. His first two dunks were breath taking. If he could have kept that up, for the last two dunks, I would have him over Vince Carter.

Right now, prime Vince Carter is still shutting down anyone in a dunk off.
Lavine would beat him. I know that, but it's different now for Lavine because he's held to a higher standard at this time. So many other dunks have happened that Lavine has to do some space jam shit just to get people hyping. I think people would look at his last 2 dunks better if he had done some theatrics before it. Just dunking is boring to the people now.

bigkingsfan
Because they didn't know what happened, it was done so fast. But the oohs and ahhs after the replay was shone.
It doesn't matter if you watch it 100 times, has nothing on his opening dunks.

chosen_one6
Lavine can do more than what he showed tonight...just wait until next year. He's gonna do some shit Vince never did.

L.Kizzle
02-15-2015, 12:41 AM
It doesn't matter if you watch it 100 times, has nothing on his opening dunks.
You said it was weak though. I never said it topped his first dunks.

bigkingsfan
02-15-2015, 12:43 AM
You said it was weak though. I never said it topped his first dunks.
WEAK compared to his opening dunks.

Beastmode88
We really going to underrate vince? His competition was much stiffer than what lavine had to go thru. Mason plumlee and antetokounmpo :roll: :roll: :roll:

fsvr54
J Rich is the best dunk contest dunker of all time.

L.Kizzle
02-15-2015, 12:45 AM
WEAK compared to his opening dunks.
Wasn't weak. I'll give you the two hand jammer as being weak. But dunking with your elbow as being weak. Compared to any dunk, it's not weak.

04mzwach
02-15-2015, 12:46 AM
We really going to underrate vince? His competition was much stiffer than what lavine had to go thru. Mason plumlee and antetokounmpo :roll: :roll: :roll:
Competition doesn't have much to do with it unless we're rating the contest itself. Most people should know that in reality, the dunkers are going up against the best dunks from previous contests and the ones made in the dunk contest that night.

Noob Saibot

^this is true, steve francis and tmac were very good in their own right.

Budadiiii
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtGLqzGVwo4
http://silverlining.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads//2011/11/lou-gif.gif

Schism
kids these days... people aint got no memory lol

vince did even nastier dunks while playing real competitive nba games. ask alonzo mourning. and those who had seats for Raptors games aroud 2000-02... his windmills were absolutely ridiculous

Milbuck
02-15-2015, 12:47 AM
Lavine would beat him. I know that, but it's different now for Lavine because he's held to a higher standard at this time. So many other dunks have happened that Lavine has to do some space jam shit just to get people hyping. I think people would look at his last 2 dunks better if he had done some theatrics before it. Just dunking is boring to the people now.
That reaction to Vince's elbow dunk....that would be the entire contest if you put Lavine in the 80s-90s contests and he did all he was capable of.

Dude is a freak athlete and dunker of the highest order. He would give Vince all he could handle in a contest, and would beat anyone else. Lavine didn't even bring out his best dunks tonight. He was entirely capable of putting up the GOAT performance. I'm positive he was saving stuff for future contests.

04mzwach
02-15-2015, 12:48 AM
kids these days... people aint got no memory lol

vince did even nastier dunks while playing real competitive nba games. ask alonzo mourning. and those who had seats for Raptors games aroud 2000-02... his windmills were absolutely ridiculous
we're clearly talking about dunk contest dunks

bigkingsfan
02-15-2015, 12:49 AM
Wasn't weak. I'll give you the two hand jammer as being weak. But dunking with your elbow as being weak. Compared to any dunk, it's not weak.
It's nothing special. Hell Kobe did it in 1998 and his vert isn't even that high.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLK0rz9pqDc
Blake did it in the dunk contest too, crowd didn't give a damn either.

Chadwin
02-15-2015, 12:50 AM
GOAT
http://i.imgur.com/LK9UEfn.gif
http://i.imgur.com/fTK8c8x.gif

Foster5k
02-15-2015, 12:53 AM
GOAT
I still got Vince over J Rich.

However, those two dunks by J Rich were epic. When you saw those dunks in slow motion, it was like watching a character in a video game. I remember when he made those dunks. He completely shut down the building. Everyone was in awe. It was something special. A moment in time that you had to be there to believe it.

Vince and J Rich were on another level. Zach LaVine is right behind them. He could possibly surpass both in the future. We'll have to wait and see.

CavaliersFTW
02-15-2015, 12:54 AM
Why do these guys seem so much more powerful/fluid than pretty much everyone who's been in a dunk contest the past 5 years save for Lavine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29TixSRcEA4

They aren't even NBA players... yet their dunks look so much cleaner more fluid and powerful what gives?

Foster5k
02-15-2015, 12:59 AM
Why do these guys seem so much more powerful/fluid than pretty much everyone who's been in a dunk contest the past 5 years save for Lavine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29TixSRcEA4

They aren't even NBA players... yet their dunks look so much cleaner more fluid and powerful what gives?
For one, Deion Sanders is one of the greatest athletes to ever live. Not to mention, he's just doing regular dunks. Those NBA players are trying to do something unique.

Finally, Mike Conley Sr was an Olympic gold medal jumper. Obviously, he can make dunking a basketball look fluid and easy.

jzek
02-15-2015, 01:02 AM
People still doubt that Vince is the GOAT dunker of all time? :wtf:

jzek
02-15-2015, 01:04 AM
It's nothing special. Hell Kobe did it in 1998 and his vert isn't even that high.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLK0rz9pqDc
Blake did it in the dunk contest too, crowd didn't give a damn either.

You know what those two were missing that Vince had? SHOWMANSHIP!

That's why Vince was the GOAT -- he had the athleticism plus showmanship. Gerald Green can do so many crazy dunks but all of them looks boring. Why? No showmanship. Same with Blake. So generic and ho-hum.

Vince can turn a seemingly ordinary dunk into an all time 57,000,000 views on YouTube great! Why? Showmanship.

mshahidz
02-15-2015, 01:06 AM
Lavine was dope. But VC was on another level.... Nobody can compare to how smooth VC's dunks are, there's no legs flailing; pure composure even down to the landing. Lavine is now on my radar as one of the best dunkers in the last decade almost. plus... The fact that VC never missed is another testament to the greatness of his outing.

deja vu
02-15-2015, 01:06 AM
Dr. J.

You just have to include Wilt in every gotdamn topic, do you?

And where's the photo of Wilt dunking on 12-foot rims?

Oh right.. there's none because it's just a figment of your imagination. :roll:

Velocirap31
02-15-2015, 01:07 AM
Let me know when one of these guys can do a reverse 360 like Vince did. Hardest dunk to do. Haven't any of you ever tried to do it? That'll give you appreciation for it. Between the legs is easy, behind the back is very tough as well.

chosen_one6
02-15-2015, 01:13 AM
Let me know when one of these guys can do a reverse 360 like Vince did. Hardest dunk to do. Haven't any of you ever tried to do it? That'll give you appreciation for it. Between the legs is easy, behind the back is very tough as well.

Lavine isn't done...he even said it in his interview after the contest. He's got more dunks that he hasn't pulled out yet. Give it time...

bigkingsfan
02-15-2015, 01:14 AM
Two foot leaper vs one, Vince could never do a windmill from near the FT line either.

deja vu
02-15-2015, 01:15 AM
Bet most ISHers here haven't been following the NBA when Vince made the GOAT contest dunk.

Dro
02-15-2015, 01:15 AM
Man, yall trippin...I love Vince as much as the next guy and he's the GOAT NBA dunker but Zack's dunks were definitely better...Id argue Vince can't even do Zack's first 2 dunks and I'm serious....Can Vince do the behind the back dunk and make it look that smooth?

Noob Saibot
02-15-2015, 01:21 AM
Man, yall trippin...I love Vince as much as the next guy and he's the GOAT NBA dunker but Zack's dunks were definitely better...Id argue Vince can't even do Zack's first 2 dunks and I'm serious....Can Vince do the behind the back dunk and make it look that smooth?

they dunk in different ways. zach is a one legged leaper. vince dunks better off 2 feet but can jump pretty off the 1 leg also. not sure if zach can 360 like vince can or if vince can go behind his back jumping from the dotted line the way zach is capable of.

Milbuck
02-15-2015, 01:23 AM
Bet most ISHers here haven't been following the NBA when Vince made the GOAT contest dunk.
Why does that even matter? All the footage is out there, it's not like it was some mythical game at a park, we know what Vince did and we know what Zach did.

The difference is that Zach is 19 years old and is going to do more contests. What this dude is doing at this age is ****ing ridiculous.

Heavincent
02-15-2015, 01:28 AM
Lavine's dunks might have been a little more difficult, but there's just something about watching VC dunk...he can make simple dunks look ****ing awesome, even now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcmZwDv8fBM

Dude moves in slow motion now but his dunks still look sweet.

Not to mention Carters dunks are just a lot more viscous than Lavine's.

Straight Pimpin
02-15-2015, 01:33 AM
But it's the dunks you do not the ones you don't
Oh shit really? There was me thinking my dunk where I flew through the air from half court, put the ball between my legs 10 times before finishing with a 3600 degrees windmill slam was the greatest dunk of all time.:lol

Bay Area Baller
02-15-2015, 01:34 AM
I like that guy Alex Len on Phoenix.

in b4 Lentenacity starts :biggums:

Milbuck
02-15-2015, 01:34 AM
Lavine's dunks might have been a little more difficult, but there's just something about watching VC dunk...he can make simple dunks look ****ing awesome, even now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcmZwDv8fBM

Zach does a windmill from the FT line. What does Vince come back with?

SugarHill
02-15-2015, 01:46 AM
I don't think Lavine can do a 360 windmill as smooth as Vince Carter. His windmills look robotic in comparison. Seriously

Draz
02-15-2015, 02:01 AM
Actually enjoyed this years dunk contest

Badazzwriter
02-15-2015, 02:08 AM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/2177041/jason-richardson-o.gif

CavaliersFTW
02-15-2015, 02:17 AM
Actually enjoyed this years dunk contest
They got rid of 90% of the gimmicks thank god. This streamlined it. Not to mention Dipo had one all-time great dunk and Lavine had 2 so it wasn't terrible. Not great I don't think, but definitely not terrible which is a vast improvement over previous years

mshahidz
02-15-2015, 02:19 AM
They got rid of 90% of the gimmicks thank god. This streamlined it. Not to mention Dipo had one all-time great dunk and Lavine had 2 so it wasn't terrible. Not great I don't think, but definitely not terrible which is a vast improvement over previous years

The lack of props and stupid shit definitely helped bring this years SDC back to what it is supposed to be.

Heavincent
02-15-2015, 02:19 AM

I'm sure the gimmicks will be back next year because whoever plans this thing is oblivious.

mshahidz
02-15-2015, 02:25 AM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/2177041/jason-richardson-o.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16gt6uAai9U

/thread

raiderfan19
02-15-2015, 02:36 AM
Why does everyone forget that josh smith did the exact same dunk from the other side?

I still have vince as the goat contest dunker but Lavine was close and iggy and josh smith both have what have become massively underrated dunk contest performances

sundizz
02-15-2015, 02:38 AM
Zach Lavine's behind the back dunk was one of the best dunks I've ever seen. Dunking is a lot more than just the "dunk" though...it comes down to how smooth you look, how high you get, how aesthetically pleasing it looks. Vince Carter does a windmill better than any player in the history of basketball. His timing, finish, landing, power, rotation, etc make his normal off the background windmill dunk an easy 9+.

This in game dunk he did is still better than any dunk contest dunk I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk70Sg1Kgxk

Sarcastic
02-15-2015, 02:39 AM
Still a shame that LeBron won't do it after all these years.

raiderfan19
02-15-2015, 02:40 AM
One other thing with the dunk contest, you have to remember that time matters. If you come after someone else, you have to be definitively better to take the belt. I mean jordan is an elite player and dunker but he never gets above a 45 on any of his dunks except maybe the kiss the sky if he does them now. That's one of the things that made Vince's dunk so great. He was the first one to do them.

RoundMoundOfReb
02-15-2015, 02:42 AM
Dr. J.

raiderfan19
02-15-2015, 02:43 AM
Zach Lavine's behind the back dunk was one of the best dunks I've ever seen. Dunking is a lot more than just the "dunk" though...it comes down to how smooth you look, how high you get, how aesthetically pleasing it looks. Vince Carter does a windmill better than any player in the history of basketball. His timing, finish, landing, power, rotation, etc make his normal off the background windmill dunk an easy 9+.

This in game dunk he did is still better than any dunk contest dunk I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk70Sg1Kgxk
Jr smith and iggy both did something pretty similar to the behind the back dunk

mshahidz
02-15-2015, 02:44 AM
One other thing with the dunk contest, you have to remember that time matters. If you come after someone else, you have to be definitively better to take the belt. I mean jordan is an elite player and dunker but he never gets above a 45 on any of his dunks except maybe the kiss the sky if he does them now. That's one of the things that made Vince's dunk so great. He was the first one to do them.

alley in between the legs - first time in NBA
360 windmill against the grain - first time in the nba
elbow in the rim - first time in the nba

Lavine repeated all of his earlier dunks from SDC's in HS/College level, but he did well...cant knock on him as I feel he resurrected the SDC somewhat - I was expected it to be a dud compared to the 3pt contest.

Also, all the guys posting gif's of Jrich...try watching the full contest and not the highlights, he missed so many times it was cringe worthy. He's not even in the top 5 SDC's of all time.

Smoke117
02-15-2015, 02:46 AM
Vince. His swag elevated him above Lavine. Plus Steve Francis was a much better opponent than anyone Lavine faced here. It was a joke...his own teammate was afraid.

Timmy D for MVP
02-15-2015, 02:58 AM
Vince Carter.

Like.... what are talking about guys?

Do you guys remember watching that contest back in t he day? Lavine was outstanding today, the best contest in a long while, but Vince melted brains when he went off. I jumped off my couch for Lavine. I ran around my house for Carter.

Vince had one dunk that would be questionable as far as getting a 50. Everything else would still get the perfect score. I mean I guess the two hand attempt that was pretty far inside the foul line but I think he just did that because he knew it was over and that's what the crowd wanted to see. He had better power, better extension, that performance was just better.

dazzer87
02-15-2015, 03:09 AM
Finally we get a decent dunker and now people try to compare him to VC.....only on ish.....:roll: :roll: :roll:

coin24
02-15-2015, 04:16 AM
Finally they got it right, no gimmicks, and the classic format with judges..

I dont think anyone expected Giannis and Plumlee to be complete shit, but to be honest bigs always seem to suck in the dunk contest.

KG215
02-15-2015, 04:35 AM
After (finally) seeing his dunks, I can say this was the most pleasing dunk contest winner in a long, long time. I'm mad at myself for bypassing the dunk contest (again) because I had given up on it a few years ago. I don't think the totality of Lavine's dunks tonight were as good as Vince's or Jason Richardson's, but the "artistry" of Lavine's dunks were the first I think were at least on par with Richardson's in 2003 and VC's in 2000.

I'm definitely tuning in next year and the year after, etc., as long as he continues defending his title. I think he can, finally, be the next true great dunk contest dunker...something we've been missing for over a decade. Time helped Lavine tonight, no doubt. His dunks tonight were essentially just a repeat of Vince's dunks 15 years ago; but he pulled them off so effortlessly that it leaves a lot to the imagination. On another note, because he did those dunks so effortlessly tonight, Lavine has set the bar pretty high. Hopefully in the coming years he doesn't disappoint.

raiderfan19
02-15-2015, 04:40 AM
Iggy wasn't great? He should have won back to back but got robbed by Nate Robinson. Josh smith wasn't great the first year he was in it?

Nanners
02-15-2015, 05:02 AM
Vince is the GOAT dunker and its not close

Meticode
02-15-2015, 05:19 AM
To even sniff at Carter in the dunk contest at least, LaVine needed to do the windwill freethrow line dunk, he didn't though. He NEEDS to do that next year.

coin24
02-15-2015, 05:23 AM
To even sniff at Carter in the dunk contest at least, LaVine needed to do the windwill freethrow line dunk, he didn't though. He NEEDS to do that next year.

If he did that as his final dunk i would have jizzed my pants...

Hope we get to see it next year:rockon:

ILLsmak
02-15-2015, 05:35 AM

yesss.

I still like Vince.

And it does kind of matter whether you are comparing the footage to something you saw live because seeing something live imprints it on you differently where as if you watched this contest and went back to watch the other on youtube, with cuts, you could definitely think it's not as good.

-Smak

WallIn
02-15-2015, 08:25 AM
Since 2000

1. Vince Carter
2. Jason Richardson
3. Zach Lavine and Andre Iguodala

AintNoSunshine
02-15-2015, 08:42 AM
Lavine is great and all, dominated his competition. But lets not forget Vince did this 15 years ago, you gotta take the historical context to consideration, Vince actually did something no one had donr before and thats what made his performance so special and epic. Lavines dunks are great but as far as greatness go, Vince still the GOAT.

Lebron23
02-15-2015, 08:45 AM
I like Lavine, but VC is the greatest dunker of all time.

2swift4u
02-15-2015, 08:50 AM
Lavine definitely impressed me but Vince did it with more style!

GOBB
02-15-2015, 09:00 AM
Trick question? It's Vince. Lavine did between the leg dunks all time. Gotta switch it up to be on Vince level.

lilteapot
02-15-2015, 09:25 AM
Lavines first two dunks made me jump out my seat, but his last dunk s were a little boring. Carter on the other hand finished it off with a bang.

The Genius
02-15-2015, 10:01 AM
Iggy wasn't great? He should have won back to back but got robbed by Nate Robinson. Josh smith wasn't great the first year he was in it?

Yeah Iggy got robbed. Was that the year Nate missed 7 in a row or something like that?

I personally think you shouldn't get do overs. Maybe one per round.

Rake2204
02-15-2015, 10:21 AM
In terms of performances, I very much enjoyed LaVine's run last night but it was not comparable to Carter's performance at the time it happened. I hate to be that guy, but if one did not experience the 2000 show firsthand, it may be tough to fully gather how that thing went down.

One of the biggest differences between performances was the manner with which Carter seemed to be inventing dunks as he went along.

-The clockwise 360 cuff windmill was a dunk that virtually no one had imagined until it was completed.
-The bounce between the legs was probably imagined, but had never come close to being completed (also stood for first two-footed between-the-legs in history). --And the elbow dunk... absolute showstopper... another one people didn't even realize was a possible or a thing - which is why there's silence after its completion.

All that said, it makes it tough to say who'd have won last night if peak Vince Carter were available. One of the most important aspects of his performance was his innovation. Would we pretend, say, that the elbow dunk had not yet been invented when he hypothetically battled LaVine?

My one other real knocks against LaVine was his between-the-legs repetition, his few misses, and the lack of a free throw line windmill - which I know is in his arsenal. Otherwise, even though I knew he was capable of those slams, it was still very entertaining to watch. I wish Oladipo was able to make a few more though - I liked what he was bringing to the table too.

raiderfan19
02-15-2015, 10:22 AM
I don't have a problem with the format they had last night, I do think it makes a dunk better when you do it the first time though.

Rake2204
02-15-2015, 10:28 AM
Yeah Iggy got robbed. Was that the year Nate missed 7 in a row or something like that?Most of the 2006 contest was scored pretty well. Robinson took eight attempts at a between the legs dunk (trying to go off the backboard first). It was a nice dunk in the end, but he only received a 44. Iggy countered with a scored 50 behind-the-back dunk. Then Nate picked up a 50 for his Spud Webb dunk (which I was okay with) and Iggy got a 44 for his multiple missed between the legs dunk as well.

The real issue came in the dunk-off (tie-breaker). This is when Robinson tried to throw it off the backboard from half-court and dunk. After numerous attempts, moved in to the three-point line and kept trying. 14-15 attempts in all before he finally made a baby, clutch dunk. Scored a 47. Beat Iggy's between-the-legs reverse type dunk (like Amar'e's first attempt in '03) by one. Definitely wrong call in the dunk-off.

Budadiiii
02-15-2015, 10:28 AM
In terms of performances, I very much enjoyed LaVine's run last night but it was not comparable to Carter's performance at the time it happened. I hate to be that guy, but if one did not experience the 2000 show firsthand, it may be tough to fully gather how that thing went down.

One of the biggest differences between performances was the manner with which Carter seemed to be inventing dunks as he went along.

-The clockwise 360 cuff windmill was a dunk that virtually no one had imagined until it was completed.
-The bounce between the legs was probably imagined, but had never come close to being completed (also stood for first two-footed between-the-legs in history). --And the elbow dunk... absolute showstopper... another one people didn't even realize was a possible or a thing - which is why there's silence after its completion.

All that said, it makes it tough to say who'd have won last night if peak Vince Carter were available. One of the most important aspects of his performance was his innovation. Would we pretend, say, that the elbow dunk had not yet been invented when he hypothetically battled LaVine?

My one other real knocks against LaVine was his between-the-legs repetition, his few misses, and the lack of a free throw line windmill - which I know is in his arsenal. Otherwise, even though I knew he was capable of those slams, it was still very entertaining to watch. I wish Oladipo was able to make a few more though - I liked what he was bringing to the table too.
Vince did not invent that dunk and it's not that impressive.

The Genius
02-15-2015, 10:34 AM
Yeah that was the issue. Iggys remix dunk should have gotten the nod in the dunk off. As an aside, I've always liked the look of that dunk. Amares was nice.

swagga
02-15-2015, 10:40 AM
skillwise i'm inclined to say they are close.

but vince dunks with insane power, lavine dunks like a highschooler ... major difference tbh.

ArbitraryWater
02-15-2015, 10:43 AM
Oladipo -CavsFTW

LaVine has the opportunity to go down as the GOAT dunker (at least in the NBA, if you see some clips of other dunk contests, some of those boys do the same shit LaVine does, with the same ease, if not better), I want Zach in more of these contests... I want him in it every year, just winning it year-in-year-out, we'd have so many classics...

This dude talking about competition at a dunk contest :wtf:

Like it really mattered who the comp was, they'd win anyway... talk about the actual dunks and ability you clown.

ArbitraryWater
02-15-2015, 11:11 AM
GOAT

Those dunks are epic, but you know what? You can see J-Rich is maxing out on them, I think if LaVine would do them, they would still look effortless, smoother...

lilteapot
02-15-2015, 11:12 AM
Those dunks are epic, but you know what? You can see J-Rich is maxing out on them, I think if LaVine would do them, they would still look effortless, smoother...
I think because it looks like Richardson is putting more effort into them that's why it looks better.

Dragonyeuw
02-15-2015, 11:13 AM
Vince's performance was more important in the context that the dunk contest was seen as dying at that point. So historically it was a more important performance...

And as far as a dunk for dunk comparison, Vince's had a little more variety and power. Both guys, funny enough, started off on such a high note that their later rounds were anti-climatic by comparison. I really don't think either guy did a dunk outside the other guys range, but the aesthetics would be slightly different. Vince's first dunk, the reverse 360 windmill, was executed with more power than anything Zach showed last night.

Rake2204
02-15-2015, 11:30 AM
Vince did not invent that dunk and it's not that impressive.I recall seeing a video of Kobe Bryant executing the dunk in China, supposedly in 1998 or something. I believe it. Though, I don't recall seeing that video until YouTube in the mid- to late-2000's.

I'm a fan of dunking but I admit I don't see every dunk in a timely manner. Still, I have a difficult time believing much of anyone was familiar with the elbow dunk before Carter pulled it off in 2000 (pre-YouTube, when NBA.com and HoopsTV were amongst the only ones offering up the ol' "buffering..." clips online). Which yes, if the Kobe dunk was truly from that time (or if some other street ballers had accomplished the feat somewhere else) then Carter did not technically invent the dunk.

Still, I'd venture to say for most, Carter's elbow dunk was something not yet seen at that time, which is why it garnered the reaction it did (stunned silence, NBA players half smiling and looking around at each other before ultimately breaking out into laughter). Perhaps the better word, as opposed to "invent" would have been "introduced to 99.999999999% of the world."

I respect your opinion on this matter, but I found the elbow dunk incredibly impressive at the time. With so many replicating the flush in the years since, it's lost some luster but for the first time ever seeing that (unless I happened to be in China for when the Kobe dunk took place), it was pretty great to see.

SugarHill
02-15-2015, 11:45 AM
Vince did not invent that dunk and it's not that impressive.
How is a dude sticking his entire arm into a hoop not impressive?

Budadiiii
02-15-2015, 11:50 AM
How is a dude sticking his entire arm into a hoop not impressive?
If no one had ever seen that dunk and Vince/Lavine were going at it... do you really think that one would be considered impressive compared to the others they would do?

I think it would be the least impressive even if no one had seen it before. I can do that dunk on an 8 ft rim so I don't really find it that amazing. I sure as hell can't do what Lavine did on an 8ft rim.

Legends66NBA7
02-15-2015, 11:51 AM
I recall seeing a video of Kobe Bryant executing the dunk in China, supposedly in 1998 or something. I believe it. Though, I don't recall seeing that video until YouTube in the mid- to late-2000's.

I'm a fan of dunking but I admit I don't see every dunk in a timely manner. Still, I have a difficult time believing much of anyone was familiar with the elbow dunk before Carter pulled it off in 2000 (pre-YouTube, when NBA.com and HoopsTV were amongst the only ones offering up the ol' "buffering..." clips online). Which yes, if the Kobe dunk was truly from that time (or if some other street ballers had accomplished the feat somewhere else) then Carter did not technically invent the dunk.

Still, I'd venture to say for most, Carter's elbow dunk was something not yet seen at that time, which is why it garnered the reaction it did (stunned silence, NBA players half smiling and looking around at each other before ultimately breaking out into laughter). Perhaps the better word, as opposed to "invent" would have been "introduced to 99.999999999% of the world."

I respect your opinion on this matter, but I found the elbow dunk incredibly impressive at the time. With so many replicating the flush in the years since, it's lost some luster but for the first time ever seeing that (unless I happened to be in China for when the Kobe dunk took place), it was pretty great to see.

Dunk happened in the Philippines. Here's the video, if you haven't seen it recently.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WLK0rz9pqDc

Rake2204
02-15-2015, 11:55 AM
If no one had ever seen that dunk and Vince/Lavine were going at it... do you really think that one would be considered impressive compared to the others they would do?

I think it would be the least impressive even if no one had seen it before. I can do that dunk on an 8 ft rim so I don't really find it that amazing. I sure as hell can't do what Lavine did on an 8ft rim.I ask this respectfully, not as some kind of insult or something, but were you old enough to see the Vince Carter dunk contest in 2000? I only ask because one of the biggest appeals of the elbow dunk was the "apparent" invention (again, 99.99999999% of people never even knew it was a thing).

So to see a guy, after his first three dunks, appear to approach the rim and complete a standard dunk, only to see him dangling from his elbow... it was unfathomable for virtually everyone watching. Again, there's a reason it garnered the response it did in Oakland.

Dunk happened in the Philippines. Here's the video, if you haven't seen it recently.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WLK0rz9pqDcThank you, sir.

Budadiiii
02-15-2015, 11:58 AM
I ask this respectfully, not as some kind of insult or something, but were you old enough to see the Vince Carter dunk contest in 2000? I only ask because one of the biggest appeals of the elbow dunk was the "apparent" invention (again, 99.99999999% of people never even knew it was a thing).
I was 5 years old.

The crowd went crazy over that Blake Griffin dunk too. Doesn't make it impressive.

Unique does not necessarily mean high difficulty, especially for a guy with Vince's vertical and length.

Rake2204
02-15-2015, 12:09 PM
I was 5 years old.

The crowd went crazy over that Blake Griffin dunk too. Doesn't make it impressive.

Unique does not necessarily mean high difficulty, especially for a guy with Vince's vertical and length.I agree crowd response alone doesn't make it impressive. And again, one's level of being impressed is a matter of opinion anyway, so we may just be on opposite ends as it is.

What I was saying though... is there's something to be said for innovation, or at least the appearance of innovation. Kobe Bryant apparently did the elbow dunk randomly in the Phillippines in 1998 and a random guy named James Wilson may have even done it dating as far back as 1993 (https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=662527673818197) but quite honestly, virtually no one (outside of those watching Bryant and Wilson on that day) knew that was a dunk that could be done.

As a result, seeing a dunk that's never been seen before (by 99.999999%) was incredibly impressive for many of those watching. I was a sophomore in high school at the time, someone who'd been taping contests since fourth grade, and I had never imagined someone doing that dunk. So seeing the unimaginable was a giant part of the appeal.

By the time Griffin put his twist on it in 2011, it was still cool (to me) but the magic of innovation had long since departed. I know it sounds uppity, but the feeling of the Carter contest may have been best felt live, watching at the time of its occurrence, just to fully capture everything we thought we knew about dunking before he competed and what we discovered when it was all said and done that night.

GOBB
02-15-2015, 12:10 PM
:roll: 5, case closed. Opinion means shit.

Dro
02-15-2015, 12:14 PM
Its funny, when we're discussing the best players in history and people bring up the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, everyone says they're blinded by nostalgia. Its the same thing here, I feel people are blinded by nostalgia. Yes Vince's contest was more important when considering the context plus the crowd was crazy plus Vince was a better/more well known player than Lavine so the crowd was anticipating every dunk he did. They had seen some of his dunks in the regular season.

Lavine doesn't get nearly as much playing time and hasn't really pulled off many great dunks in NBA games yet.

But his dunks were better to me. I'm just purely talking the actual dunk. Vince has awesome windmills, true..But Lavine can windmill from the free throw line, lol. His dunks are super smooth AND powerful and people are acting like he dunked with a nerf ball. They don't look that powerful because he's up so high and dunking so smooth. That shouldn't be held against him.

I don't see how some can say he just did the same dunks Vince did. How so? Vince didn't do the behind the back and he didn't go through the legs and come up on the other side of the rim like Lavine did. Vince's first dunk, outstanding. Zack's not a 2 legged jumper so maybe he could not do that one. But the rest of Vince's dunk, I feel Zack can do those and pretty easily I might add.

Lavine's dunks were scratching the surface of what he can do. If Vince can do more dunks, why didn't even get back in the dunk contest either the following year or the year after that? Because he brought the house down so much and didn't want to tarnish his 2000 contest legacy? If thats the reason, I can understand that. But other than that, I don't know why. I know he got injured in 2001 or 2002? Maybe that was it?

Budadiiii
02-15-2015, 12:16 PM
I agree crowd response alone doesn't make it impressive. And again, one's level of being impressed is a matter of opinion anyway, so we may just be on opposite ends as it is.

What I was saying though... is there's something to be said for innovation, or at least the appearance of innovation. Kobe Bryant apparently did the elbow dunk randomly in the Phillippines in 1998 and a random guy named James Wilson may have even done it dating as far back as 1993 (https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=662527673818197) but quite honestly, virtually no one (outside of those watching Bryant and Wilson on that day) knew that was a dunk that could be done.

As a result, seeing a dunk that's never been seen before (by 99.999999%) was incredibly impressive for many of those watching. I was a sophomore in high school at the time, someone who'd been taping contests since fourth grade, and I had never imagined someone doing that dunk. So seeing the unimaginable was a giant part of the appeal.

By the time Griffin put his twist on it in 2011, it was still cool (to me) but the magic of innovation had long since departed. I know it sounds uppity, but the feeling of the Carter contest may have been best felt live, watching at the time of its occurrence, just to fully capture everything we thought we knew about dunking before he competed and what we discovered when it was all said and done that night.
I know what you're saying. No had seen it before, so there was a huge element of surprise.

and I was talking about Blake Griffin jumping over the car. They went crazy because no one had see it in the contest before and the whole "holy shit he jumpin over car OOOOO MYYYY!!" element that it brought, kinda like Vince sticking his elbow in the rim. Both dunks aren't impressive in retrospect.

GOBB
02-15-2015, 12:26 PM
Its funny, when we're discussing the best players in history and people bring up the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, everyone says they're blinded by nostalgia. Its the same thing here, I feel people are blinded by nostalgia. Yes Vince's contest was more important when considering the context plus the crowd was crazy plus Vince was a better/more well known player than Lavine so the crowd was anticipating every dunk he did. They had seen some of his dunks in the regular season.

Lavine doesn't get nearly as much playing time and hasn't really pulled off many great dunks in NBA games yet.

But his dunks were better to me. I'm just purely talking the actual dunk. Vince has awesome windmills, true..But Lavine can windmill from the free throw line, lol. His dunks are super smooth AND powerful and people are acting like he dunked with a nerf ball. They don't look that powerful because he's up so high and dunking so smooth. That shouldn't be held against him.

I don't see how some can say he just did the same dunks Vince did. How so? Vince didn't do the behind the back and he didn't go through the legs and come up on the other side of the rim like Lavine did. Vince's first dunk, outstanding. Zack's not a 2 legged jumper so maybe he could not do that one. But the rest of Vince's dunk, I feel Zack can do those and pretty easily I might add.

Lavine's dunks were scratching the surface of what he can do. If Vince can do more dunks, why didn't even get back in the dunk contest either the following year or the year after that? Because he brought the house down so much and didn't want to tarnish his 2000 contest legacy? If thats the reason, I can understand that. But other than that, I don't know why. I know he got injured in 2001 or 2002? Maybe that was it?

But he didn't. He dunked between the legs all his dunks. If he switched it up and did other dunks like the one you mentioned? Maybe we can argue. But this idea he can do all these amazing dunks yet contest time does none of them? Irrelevant. Scratching the surface of what he can do? Cool story, hopefully he enters next year and does just that. He has the ability to dunks that can top Vince in 2000. Until he does it? Shhhhhhhhh

Still waiting for a 720 dunk to be done. Tell Lavine to add that to his FT line dunk next contest. Or will we see more between the legs...

Rake2204
02-15-2015, 12:33 PM

Lavine's dunks were scratching the surface of what he can do. If Vince can do more dunks, why didn't even get back in the dunk contest either the following year or the year after that? Because he brought the house down so much and didn't want to tarnish his 2000 contest legacy? If thats the reason, I can understand that. But other than that, I don't know why. I know he got injured in 2001 or 2002? Maybe that was it?I think you raise a lot of good points. I think one of the bigger things when doing a comparison between contests is deciding whether to account for the era.

For instance, if Carter had done his elbow dunk yesterday 15 years after the dunk had been first introduced to the mainstream and with people replicating, tweaking and modifying the dunk ever since - there's no way it'd have had the same effect on the audience and judges. People probably would have been like, "Um, Blake Griffin threw it off the backboard and elbow'd off one foot in 2011. This is a simpler version of that."

But if we account for the era and the dunk landscape at the time, here's what Carter's contest looked like in relation to the mainstream and even most hoop and dunk enthusiasts:

1st: Introduced new dunk (cuff clockwise 360 windmill)
2nd: Tweaked new dunk just introduced last round (gather step 360 windmill from out bounds)
3rd: Introduced never seen modification to dunk (two-foot between-the-legs off of bounce pass alley oop)

4th: Introduced new dunk (elbow... and again... to 99.9999999% outside of the small gathering in the Philippines).
5th: Two-hand dunk from step inside free throw line (bit of a letdown, and surely imagined by people beforehand, but still never completed in NBA contest)

In all, Carter completed all five of his dunks on his first attempt. Three of them were brand new to the general public and most basketball diehards, one of them wasn't new only because he first introduced it 10 minutes earlier and then the semi-letdown of the two-hands from 14 feet (which still had never been done in contest).

The comparison is tough because as much as I enjoyed LaVine's first round (and it was bodacious), I feel as though I'd seen him do those dunks (or very similar) at the Seattle pro-am. And the misses in round 2, if we're comparing to Carter, may have nicked him a little. Not to mention 3 of 4 were between-the-legs variants.

Lastly, as you correctly assumed, I think Carter stopped in 2000 because he felt he'd already achieved what he wanted to achieve (near perfection). It's kind of like those movies or albums that should never get sequels but do anyway. The best case scenario is that it somehow matches the magic of the first but more than likely... things can only go downward.

SugarHill
02-15-2015, 12:37 PM
But he didn't. He dunked between the legs all his dunks. If he switched it up and did other dunks like the one you mentioned? Maybe we can argue. But this idea he can do all these amazing dunks yet contest time does none of them? Irrelevant. Scratching the surface of what he can do? Cool story, hopefully he enters next year and does just that. He has the ability to dunks that can top Vince in 2000. Until he does it? Shhhhhhhhh

Still waiting for a 720 dunk to be done. Tell Lavine to add that to his FT line dunk next contest. Or will we see more between the legs...
Did you see the judges' table? They were right in the middle of the court. He had no choice

GOBB
02-15-2015, 12:43 PM
Did you see the judges' table? They were right in the middle of the court. He had no choice

You cant be serious? You act like the scorers table extended across half court from one side to the other. No, there was enough room on BOTH sides of the table for anyone to run from behind and take off. And almost everyone who does a FT line dunk including Lavine in Seattle Pro Am never runs center field from opposite end of court. Most start on an angle when approaching.

Dro
02-15-2015, 12:43 PM
I think you raise a lot of good points. I think one of the bigger things when doing a comparison between contests is deciding whether to account for the era.

For instance, if Carter had done his elbow dunk yesterday 15 years after the dunk had been first introduced to the mainstream and with people replicating, tweaking and modifying the dunk ever since - there's no way it'd have had the same effect on the audience and judges. People probably would have been like, "Um, Blake Griffin threw it off the backboard and elbow'd off one foot in 2011. This is a simpler version of that."

But if we account for the era and the dunk landscape at the time, here's what Carter's contest looked like in relation to the mainstream and even most hoop and dunk enthusiasts:

1st: Introduced new dunk (cuff clockwise 360 windmill)
2nd: Tweaked new dunk just introduced last round (gather step 360 windmill from out bounds)
3rd: Introduced never seen modification to dunk (two-foot between-the-legs off of bounce pass alley oop)

4th: Introduced new dunk (elbow... and again... to 99.9999999% outside of the small gathering in the Philippines).
5th: Two-hand dunk from step inside free throw line (bit of a letdown, and surely imagined by people beforehand, but still never completed in NBA contest)

In all, Carter completed all five of his dunks on his first attempt. Three of them were brand new to the general public and most basketball diehards, one of them wasn't new only because he first introduced it 10 minutes earlier and then the semi-letdown of the two-hands from 14 feet (which still had never been done in contest).

The comparison is tough because as much as I enjoyed LaVine's first round (and it was bodacious), I feel as though I'd seen him do those dunks (or very similar) at the Seattle pro-am. And the misses in round 2, if we're comparing to Carter, may have nicked him a little. Not to mention 3 of 4 were between-the-legs variants.

Lastly, as you correctly assumed, I think Carter stopped in 2000 because he felt he'd already achieved what he wanted to achieve (near perfection). It's kind of like those movies or albums that should never get sequels but do anyway. The best case scenario is that it somehow matches the magic of the first but more than likely... things can only go downward.
I know he did a lot of between the legs dunks but the there's only so much guys can do. Plus J Richs and Andre's best dunks were between the legs also. Other than someone doing a somersault or something, I think most of the best dunks from now on will be of a between the legs variety...

Rake2204
02-15-2015, 12:44 PM
I know what you're saying. No had seen it before, so there was a huge element of surprise.

and I was talking about Blake Griffin jumping over the car. They went crazy because no one had see it in the contest before and the whole "holy shit he jumpin over car OOOOO MYYYY!!" element that it brought, kinda like Vince sticking his elbow in the rim. Both dunks aren't impressive in retrospect.Ohhh, my bad on the Griffin. I think a lot of people were really critical of Griffin for the car dunk because he did it poorly. That's one that's been around the basketball world even before the internet. I even remember the 76ers drafting a guy in the mid-90's and one of the few clips they had was him jumping over a car in a dunk contest.

Marko Milic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcKXNw7UVjE

So in that respect, the car dunk had long been fathomed and better executed before Griffin pulled it off.

And in retrospect, I can even see what you're saying about Carter's elbow, that's why I think it's important to decide whether we account for where the art of dunking stood at the time of one's appearance or just go for the bottom line.

Carter's was crazy because he was essentially "inventing" dunks (easier to say than the 99.99999% caveat), as he did with the 360 cuff windmill and elbow or executing ones people had imagined but never seen (bounce between the legs, two-hand 14 footer).

In fact, the complicated thing in all this is how the growth of dunking may have been stunted had Carter never competed in 2000. His elbow (even if Bryant and Wilson did it prior) spread like wildfire and made everyone realize it could be done. Ditto the 360 and the between-the-legs. His performance single-handily ushered in a new era of dunking. Kobe Bryant in 1997 is where we stood before Vince - double pump reverses, a one-footed between-the-legs... and I thought that stuff was legit. But I think Carter is most directly responsible for where dunking is now.

If 2000 Carter were transported to 2015 with those 15 years of dunk influence (including being influenced by his 2000 self), I'd be curious as to what he could have done.

Dro
02-15-2015, 12:48 PM

http://38.media.tumblr.com/6b50dc3ef9a751ec927d3250bda997ad/tumblr_ndzpsbEEzT1rq1dtdo1_400.gif

I don't know why he didn't do this last night. I guess he's saving it for later years but those years are not promised. I guess its unfair because true he did not do this last night. Im basically choosing him just because I know he can do this and other dunks. Vince can too I know. He's got way better stuff than he did in the contest. He's done stuff in practice and warmups better than those. I just think if both guys were asked to each other's dunks, Lavine would have more dunks that Vince can't do. My opinion is just based on watching both players best dunks so far. And I love vince, I pimp Maxamillion top 100 Vince dunks on youtube all the time. Lavine is not a GOAT dunker like Vince, thats not fair. But contest dunks, I think Lavine's were better...

Rake2204
02-15-2015, 12:50 PM
Slightly off-topic-ish, but to clarify why Carter never came back to the contest:

Make no mistake, Vince Carter had given us the greatest display of dunking anyone had ever seen. It both resurrected the contest and effectively killed it at the same time, because how can anyone match, let alone raise, such a seemingly impossible bar? Even Carter himself could never do that.

"For me, I have to go [back] into the dunk contest to live up to that?" Carter rhetorically asked. "It didn't make sense to me.

"It's different if you're playing in a game and you score 45, and now you're playing in the next game and you can score 46 or you can score 56 or whatever. The dunk contest is a little different. If I won the [first] dunk contest and it wasn't a wow factor and all of these things didn't happen, yeah maybe. Yeah maybe I'll come back. But I accomplished my goal."
Link (good article): http://www.cbssports.com/nba/feature/25064836/the-night-vinsanity-was-born

GOBB
02-15-2015, 12:58 PM
Lavine vert has to be closer to 50 than 40. I read Oladipo was better. I dont see how. Maybe the weight is a factor, Lavine is lighter in comparison to Victor O. But their measurements height, wingspan are similar. :confusedshrug:

Edit: Looked on draftexpress and official vert favors Oladipo. I dunno

SugarHill
02-15-2015, 01:13 PM
Lavine vert has to be closer to 50 than 40. I read Oladipo was better. I dont see how. Maybe the weight is a factor, Lavine is lighter in comparison to Victor O. But their measurements height, wingspan are similar. :confusedshrug:

Where did you read that? Lavine has a 44+ vert. No way in hell Dipo is anywhere near that.

GOBB
02-15-2015, 01:16 PM
Where did you read that? Lavine has a 44+ vert. No way in hell Dipo is anywhere near that.

Link (https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/566804434853060609)

Milbuck
02-15-2015, 02:00 PM
Link (https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/566804434853060609)
Lavine's vert wasn't right there. I remember people including myself being surprised it was that "low", and then it was re-measured at one of the individual draft workouts at a clean 46". Dipo has some bounce but it's not like Zach. Zach might have the most ups in the league right now, he's one of the most effortless leapers I've ever seen.

Ariza4three
02-15-2015, 02:25 PM

I didn't think Dipo had a vert that high. He's gained a lot of weight since then. That's why I always say he's a fatass. He has trouble keeping weight off during the season. Last season he was at 230 and had to lose 20lbs in the offseason but then he probably gained it back when he got injured. He got too tired after his first dunk.

SugarHill
02-15-2015, 02:31 PM
Lavine's vert wasn't right there. I remember people including myself being surprised it was that "low", and then it was re-measured at one of the individual draft workouts at a clean 46". Dipo has some bounce but it's not like Zach. Zach might have the most ups in the league right now, he's one of the most effortless leapers I've ever seen.
Maybe his no step is 41 (incredible) but his running is 46

GOBB
02-15-2015, 02:33 PM

It's on draftexpress as measured officially. The 46 is being called unofficial. :confusedshrug:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Zach-LaVine-7153/

Either way I dont see how they have similar verts. Lavine gets up but he also has hang time. Hang time could be his slight build, doubt he's even 190lbs

inclinerator
02-15-2015, 03:48 PM
like someone said vince and j rich were maxed out lavine casually did those dunks, looks like he has another level

Milbuck
02-15-2015, 03:58 PM
It's on draftexpress as measured officially. The 46 is being called unofficial. :confusedshrug:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Zach-LaVine-7153/

Either way I dont see how they have similar verts. Lavine gets up but he also has hang time. Hang time could be his slight build, doubt he's even 190lbs
Eh I trust the 46" measurement, it was at a legit draft workout for the Lakers, and it matches the eye test. I've seen Zach get his head above the rim, not just at rim level but clearly over it. And to do that he needs a 45 at least.

Profound
02-15-2015, 04:07 PM
Carter. Lavine's first two were fantastic, but I thought the last two was still really damn good didn't match Vince Carter. Mind you it helps we know Lavine is capable of more. Not sure he even broke a sweat tonight. But it's the dunks you do not the ones you don't
Hopefully next year he's healthy and brings some of the dunks he might have held back (if he did).

rapker
02-15-2015, 06:31 PM
540 was the best dunk of the night and best dunk I've seen in a long time :applause: No gimmicks just straight crazy agility and body control.

that dunk was sick but it was not 540 lol it's 360 reverse dunk bra :cheers:

SHAQisGOAT
02-15-2015, 06:41 PM
Vince...

Lavine probably could've been above if he finished it off with 2 different dunks, who knows... One of the best performances ever though.

SamuraiSWISH
02-15-2015, 07:07 PM
Seriously?

Vince had more precision, hops, flair, hype, and entertainment. His dunks at the time were revolutionary.

Hell, Jason Richardson v.s. Desmond Mason > Lavine v.s. Oladipo. All you new toy syndrome, prisoner of the moment kids make me

ILLsmak
02-15-2015, 07:24 PM
Lavine's dunks were scratching the surface of what he can do.

We can't really know that.

Blinded by nostalgia is funny because it's people who never saw something live seeing something later live and saying it's better.

You do kind of have to see something live (or in its entirety with context) to judge it. I've said shit like Bird looks like one of the best bball players, and I never got a chance to watch him in his prime, but... I still believe the people who saw shit, not just homers, tho, but people who actually were heavy bball fans at that point have an opinion that is not "Nostalgic."

If anything, people will learn to love certain traits of players that were more prevalent back then because they expected people to do them and now that they don't, they can't take the new guys seriously. It's like traveling/palming or the lack of true post up bigs.

It's also rare because it seems like there is only a certain period where we are intaking shit. After a certain point we turn off our ability to be impressed like we were when we were teens or in college. Cuz we think we've seen it all.

I def think Lavine did some shit, but I'm not gonna crown him the best dunker ever. It wasn't *that* good.

-Smak

dreamwarrior
02-15-2015, 11:09 PM
I think Wiggins has better dunks than Lavine. Lavine probably gets more air than anyone in history but I'd like to see more creativity

BigMacAttack
02-15-2015, 11:12 PM
Vince was comfortably better imo. Jrich was better as well.

Milbuck
02-15-2015, 11:17 PM
We can't really know that.

We do know it though. The footage is all out there. Watch some of his other dunk contests, he without question saved stuff for future contests. Dude knows he's the next GOAT-tier dunker, and he wasn't about to empty his clip in one contest.

If he had swapped in the FT line windmill for that last dunk he did, it would've been the GOAT dunk contest performance imho. Those 2 first dunks were as good as it gets, the thing that brought it down was a lack of variety in the next two. That first between the legs, that behind the back, and a FT line windmill would be a trio of dunks that I don't think anyone could match. Not even Vince...he has the 360 windmill and the between the legs, but that elbow dunk isn't sniffing a FT line windmill.

Which is why I think while Lavine last night didn't put up the best performance, he has GOAT contest dunker potential written all over him. The mere fact that he has even better stuff out there and is still drawing comparisons to these guys..is just ridiculous.

Odinn
02-15-2015, 11:29 PM
He needs to prove himself on the dunk contest. Not on YouTube or on the internet. Surely LaVine already did better but remember James White and his from the ft line / between the legs dunk?.. We just need to see LaVine doing his stuff on the stage.

plowking
02-15-2015, 11:41 PM
Did anyone have a look at the odds before the contest started?

I was going to put money on Lavine but completely forgot.

livingby3's
02-16-2015, 12:48 AM
I think Lavine and Wiggins can be a lite version of Carter McGrady in Toronto

SamuraiSWISH
02-16-2015, 03:55 AM
James White is GOAT contest dunker. Easily.

ILLsmak
02-16-2015, 04:38 AM
We do know it though. The footage is all out there. Watch some of his other dunk contests, he without question saved stuff for future contests. Dude knows he's the next GOAT-tier dunker, and he wasn't about to empty his clip in one contest.

If he had swapped in the FT line windmill for that last dunk he did, it would've been the GOAT dunk contest performance imho. Those 2 first dunks were as good as it gets, the thing that brought it down was a lack of variety in the next two. That first between the legs, that behind the back, and a FT line windmill would be a trio of dunks that I don't think anyone could match. Not even Vince...he has the 360 windmill and the between the legs, but that elbow dunk isn't sniffing a FT line windmill.

Which is why I think while Lavine last night didn't put up the best performance, he has GOAT contest dunker potential written all over him. The mere fact that he has even better stuff out there and is still drawing comparisons to these guys..is just ridiculous.

I appreciate that you aren't trolling, but I really think it's more of the fact that there haven't been good dunks in like 15 years.

People slept thru the dunk contest and were waiting for something to get hype. Dude's dunks were v nice. I'm not gonna say he's not an amazing dunker, but yeah I do kind of think that he'd get beaten in a contest by dudes like Vince, MJ, Dr J, Nique.

Lavine has mad hops tho. He's got all of the skills needed to be a great dunker, and maybe he did hold back and give a mediocre performance by his standards, but it makes no sense to me that he held back some of his best dunks to save for next year. If that's true, then he can't use the dunks he did this year. He'd do best, next year, to not do any dunk involving putting it between his legs.

I dunno... I was hype. Maybe I'm just jaded, but I can't agree he's gonna be remembered as one of the best dunkers in NBA history. I don't agree with judging people by their in game skill and/or dunking, but that is one thing that the other dudes had on him and maybe that's why it feels a bit more empty. Everyone knew Lavine was a great dunker coming in to the NBA, tho.

-Smak

poido123
02-16-2015, 06:02 AM
Vince.

Top 2 dunks of all time.

stevieming
02-16-2015, 07:57 AM
Vince man.....

Vince's dunks were all so different...

Lavine should have broke out some windmills or something....to me only the first dunk got me going, after that it was meh....

also, Vince looked more graceful again...don't know how.....

plus the overall contest made Vince's dunk standout, with Francis challenging him....

Victor O's dunk were a bit poor in comparison....

Sakkreth
02-16-2015, 08:17 AM
J Rich > Vince > Lavine

theaussieguy
02-16-2015, 08:51 AM
u people take the dunk contest WAY TOO SERIOUSLY

you know its a joke when all the judges are just shoving up 10's or 9's for every dunk. Its a ****ing gimmick get over it u little babies