PDA

View Full Version : Brent Barry Calls Out Charles Barkley

FlashDwyaneWade3
02-15-2015, 01:27 PM
Says that some people got to get out of their caves regarding their hatred for the analytics community. And that his comments were a massive disservice

http://clnsradio.com/boston-celtics-news/item/11471-brent-barry-charles-barkley-comments-a-massive-disservice

Nastradamus
02-15-2015, 02:00 PM
Ignoring analytics is just moronic at this point. The teams that follow them win, the teams that don't/didn't, failed to compete. Its that simple.

ralph_i_el
02-15-2015, 02:01 PM
Hate to say this but Charles Barkley is right. The analytic community is filled with pencil neck (or double chin obese in Daryl Morey's case) ******s who never played ball in their lives. Stick to following baseball or doing accounting and get the hell out of the NBA.

^typical. Not informed enough to actually hate on the ideas, so you go after the people who are informed.

Dresta
02-15-2015, 02:03 PM
Hate to say this but Charles Barkley is right. The analytic community is filled with pencil neck (or double chin obese in Daryl Morey's case) ******s who never played ball in their lives. Stick to following baseball or doing accounting and get the hell out of the NBA.
Yeah, only NBA stars like Barkley understand bball :rolleyes:.

Houston would be better off with Barkley or Shaq as GM than Morey :hammerhead:.

el_locoteee
02-15-2015, 02:22 PM

Lol watch street ball instead there no strategy, analytics or anything thinking there.

People than I'm sure never used analytics were Michael Jordan and Isiah Thomas and look the disasters they create in the NBA ("It's so crazy it just might work") I'm please do not talk about obese, look at Charles.

And from TNT crew people who don't really pay attention to numbers are Shaq and Chuck who are two of the worst to analyse the game of basketball, and giving a roster they will probably be another MJ and IT of the NBA.

T_L_P
02-15-2015, 08:30 PM

So, RC Buford should get out of the NBA?

HOoopCityJones
02-15-2015, 08:32 PM
So, RC Buford should get out of the NBA?

Maybe change his name to a better soda. :coleman:

AussieG
02-15-2015, 08:39 PM
I don't understand why stats are such a polarising thing. People either think they are useless, or they think they are everything. For a lot of people it has to be one way or the other.

Stats have a use, but they also lie. Understanding basketball as a whole is more important than numbers. But numbers are a handy tool on the side, something extra. It's funny how big some people make them out to be though.

Basketball is fluid and dynamic like music is. Science has it's role in dissecting what works and what doesn't and why.. but scientists make for horrible musicians or sports players. They aren't good at creating or improvising but they are good at explaining why someone else can do it. It's all just labels though.. take away the labels (or the numbers) and the underlying skill or talent is still there. That's what's most important. A knowledgable student of basketball can see talent or value in the players, separate from their numbers. They can separate what is important vs what is not.

The theoretical or analytical side of it whether it's music theory, or statistics are just the gravy on top, that sometimes can help. But it's the underlying thing underneath that matters.

It's possible to have a high basketball IQ separate from the numbers. It's more about understanding the flow of the game and decision making and being present to the moment at all times. And having the right attitude and good chemistry with teammates.

Eric Cartman
02-15-2015, 08:47 PM
Analytics are a joke, it's just a way for nerds to beat their meat to basketball.

They get lost in all the numbers, graphs, steps he took, times he clapped, times he called other players f*gs, if you need that much info to get into basketball, I'm sorry, watch soccer because it has all those stupid stats because nothing actually happens there.

Not basketball, you have so many stats already, besides, it's hilarious that the conclusions these analytics guys get to, are the same ones normal people get to by just watching the game.

Basketball isn't a science, it's an art.

G-train
02-15-2015, 09:01 PM
Stats have a use, but they also lie.

Stats never lie. If they are inaccurate for their cause, they you simply need better stats.

ralph_i_el
02-15-2015, 09:04 PM
Analytics are a joke, it's just a way for nerds to beat their meat to basketball.

They get lost in all the numbers, graphs, steps he took, times he clapped, times he called other players f*gs, if you need that much info to get into basketball, I'm sorry, watch soccer because it has all those stupid stats because nothing actually happens there.

Not basketball, you have so many stats already, besides, it's hilarious that the conclusions these analytics guys get to, are the same ones normal people get to by just watching the game.

Everything is a science

Artillery
02-15-2015, 09:09 PM
According to Cuban, since every team uses analytics there's no inherent advantage anymore. Now teams HAVE to use analytics just to keep from falling behind. From Cuban himself:

[I]"The Mavs have been using analytics since the day I bought the team. The fun story behind that is I took graduate level statistics at Indiana University, and after I graduated, never thought about it again, and then after I had bought the team, I

JtotheIzzo
02-15-2015, 09:12 PM
Any sane person knows that both (analytics and a 'feel' for the game) are necessary, this conversation is dumb as hell.

Draz
02-15-2015, 09:13 PM
Hey hey chill with the accounting diss I'm an accounting major lol

AussieG
02-15-2015, 09:14 PM

That's what's funny about basketball, there is already a huge amount of stats. But for the advanced stat nerds, basketball is a statisticians dream. There can never be enough.

KNOW1EDGE
02-15-2015, 09:15 PM
Analytics should be taken into consideration.

But they can be extremely deceiving, I trust my eyes more than I trust analytics.

AussieG
02-15-2015, 09:15 PM
Stats never lie. If they are inaccurate for their cause, they you simply need better stats.
lol, that's a pretty funny way of looking at it.

It all depends on the person who is interpreting the stats. What they are able to interpret and factor in.. to see the big picture. Some people can do it, some people can't. Understanding basketball helps.

AussieG
02-15-2015, 09:17 PM
Any sane person knows that both (analytics and a 'feel' for the game) are necessary, this conversation is dumb as hell.
I agree that if you see things 100% one way or the other, it's pretty dumb. Don't understand why it keeps popping up.

plowking
02-15-2015, 09:23 PM

Completely agree.

I don't think Charles completely understands it, which is why he was saying the best analytics teams don't always win. Yeah, whatever, might be the case, but there are variations that come into play in the stats measurement, like all the different teams, and line ups alone, that can exploit the output of those numbers. Obviously those averages aren't going to hold up against a certain line up or team all the time as some teams can find exploits or weaknesses in a team.

Which is obviously why it is important to be able to adapt to be able to achieve those same successful numbers that do allow you to win more often than not. Exactly the reason I think his Rockets failing in the playoffs example was bad. It wasn't due to "analytics" they lost. It was because they can't change up from the long ball or drive to the hoop tactic if the other team blocks certain things off for them.

JohnnySic
02-15-2015, 09:31 PM
Guys who are too into stats are weirdos. And very few females are stat nerds. Its almost all guys. Why is that?

Richesly
02-15-2015, 09:38 PM

Daryl Morey is overweight, not obese. Big difference.

Just look at your mom and you will see the difference.

It's a big one.