PDA

View Full Version : Why do mix people always act more black than white?

You Cant Ban Me
02-15-2015, 07:43 PM
Why do they always embrace their black side more?I was just watching this zach lavine interview and it got me thinking.Crazy they could be either but they always choose to be a brotha :lol
More examples(blake griffin,steph curry,klay thompson,jason kidd,ect...)

EDIT - wrong forum mods this was suppose to be in the off the court lounge oops http://i.imgur.com/GfY58JB.gif

Dresta
02-15-2015, 07:44 PM
Blake's hardly gonna want to embrace his ginger side now, is he?

hoopstar75
02-15-2015, 07:45 PM
Because being black has more swag.....Zach Levine and Klay bringing us light skin brothers back to the present.

CavaliersFTW
02-15-2015, 07:45 PM
Dude, Blake Griffin? He acts whiter than Winston Churchill... He does not act black at all.

navy
02-15-2015, 07:48 PM
Hypodescent

KobesFinger
02-15-2015, 07:52 PM
We fit in better

You Cant Ban Me
02-15-2015, 07:54 PM
We fit in better

we da bess SWAG! http://static.mybs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/the-greatest-handshake-of-all-time.gif

outbreak
02-15-2015, 07:55 PM
Because you are judging someone who plays in the NBA and likely grew up identifying with black culture more. If you took a mixed race golfer or polo player you would probably say the opposite.

Cocaine80s
02-15-2015, 07:57 PM
idk... maybe because hes an NBA player and is constantly surrounded by other black people 90% of the time?

CavaliersFTW
02-15-2015, 07:58 PM
Because you are judging someone who plays in the NBA and likely grew up identifying with black culture more. If you took a mixed race golfer or polo player you would probably say the opposite.
Tiger Woods and Barrack Obama :lol

KobesFinger
02-15-2015, 08:00 PM
we da bess SWAG! http://static.mybs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/the-greatest-handshake-of-all-time.gif

Personally the white side of my family is small and lives in the South of England, whereas the black side of my family is huge and all live in and around my city so I see them way more often. There were more black kids in both primary and secondary school for me. And probably the most important and universal (except in countries where blacks aren't a minority) is that due to the fact that black people are a minority, they feel the need to stick together.

I didn't say anything about any gesture

You Cant Ban Me
02-15-2015, 08:04 PM
Personally the white side of my family is small and lives in the South of England, whereas the black side of my family is huge and all live in and around my city so I see them way more often. There were more black kids in both primary and secondary school for me. And probably the most important and universal (except in countries where blacks aren't a minority) is that due to the fact that black people are a minority, they feel the need to stick together. Ever seen the black guy nod?
http://thenosebleeds.nextimpulsemedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/2013-11-20-11_28_53.gif

WTF!!!shhhhhhh...

Fudge
02-15-2015, 08:12 PM
Year of the lightskin, baby. We running your shit all year round, nerds.

GrapeApe
02-15-2015, 08:12 PM
Through my experience I actually find the oppositte to be true. Most of the mixed people I've known have been more, well, "caucasion" in nature.

KNOW1EDGE
02-15-2015, 08:14 PM
How do you act like a color?

Also, what drugs are you on?

JohnMax
02-15-2015, 08:18 PM
They can't pass for White so they see no point in pretending to be one

Fudge
02-15-2015, 08:19 PM
How do you act like a color?

Also, what drugs are you on?
If I was prancing around shirtless, in some denim shorts, with crocs, wearing a cowboy hat, while listening to country music, i'd most definitely be acting white.

You Cant Ban Me
02-15-2015, 08:19 PM
They can't pass for White so they see no point in pretending to be one

http://saveourbucks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/kidd-jason-coach.jpg

right thats what it ishttp://s22.postimg.org/670m19o8t/z_Slxvk1.png

CavaliersFTW
02-15-2015, 08:21 PM
http://saveourbucks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/kidd-jason-coach.jpg

right thats what it ishttp://s22.postimg.org/670m19o8t/z_Slxvk1.png
Dude could play leave it to beavers dad in the 50's no one would have a clue :lol

Dresta
02-15-2015, 08:31 PM
Personally the white side of my family is small and lives in the South of England, whereas the black side of my family is huge and all live in and around my city so I see them way more often. There were more black kids in both primary and secondary school for me. And probably the most important and universal (except in countries where blacks aren't a minority) is that due to the fact that black people are a minority, they feel the need to stick together. Ever seen the black guy nod?
So do you become more white when trekking through Handsworth?

KungFuJoe
02-15-2015, 08:33 PM
http://static.rogerebert.com/redactor_assets/pictures/scanners/black-humor-stepin-fetchit-to-richard-pryorto-tyler-perry-part-ii/bashs.jpg

LoneyROY7
02-15-2015, 08:35 PM
Dude, Blake Griffin? He acts whiter than Winston Churchill... He does not act black at all.

Blake's got this nikka sweatin'. :oldlol:

KNOW1EDGE
02-15-2015, 08:49 PM
If I was prancing around shirtless, in some denim shorts, with crocs, wearing a cowboy hat, while listening to country music, i'd most definitely be acting white.

So what drugs are you on that allow you to act like a color?

Do you also taste music?

Can you hear gravity?

I want whatever drug allows this to happen

DonDadda59
02-15-2015, 08:58 PM

There's goes that secret.

Tellin ass nigguh :facepalm

sdot_thadon
02-15-2015, 09:29 PM
Well, as a mixed man myself we are more likely to embrace black culture simply because the black community is more accepting. The black community accepts you just because, on the other hand with the white community you have to prove yourself to them in order to be accepted. An ounce of black excludes you from ever being white.

KobesFinger
02-15-2015, 09:32 PM
So do you become more white when trekking through Handsworth?

Quite the opposite. Handsworth is in North Birmingham, South is where you'll find British white people.

You Cant Ban Me
02-15-2015, 09:34 PM
Well, as a mixed man myself we are more likely to embrace black culture simply because the black community is more accepting. The black community accepts you just because, on the other hand with the white community you have to prove yourself to them in order to be accepted. An ounce of black excludes you from ever being white.
no such thing you fraud.If they are not related then white people aren't close but nice try.White people look down on other white people just because they're jewish or pale or not italian or other stupid reasons.

StrongLurk
02-15-2015, 09:42 PM
Why do they always embrace their black side more?I was just watching this zach lavine interview and it got me thinking.Crazy they could be either but they always choose to be a brotha :lol
More examples(blake griffin,steph curry,klay thompson,jason kidd,ect...)

EDIT - wrong forum mods this was suppose to be in the off the court lounge oops http://i.imgur.com/GfY58JB.gif

Mixed black/white races tend to be poorer demographically, and the so called "black" mainstream culture mostly targets poor people, hence the attraction to act that way

kunk75
02-15-2015, 11:21 PM
um steph curry is black

sdot_thadon
02-15-2015, 11:25 PM
no such thing you fraud.If they are not related then white people aren't close but nice try.White people look down on other white people just because they're jewish or pale or not italian or other stupid reasons.
Nice try? Lol ok buddy. Honestly these aren't conversations for the internet where people usually hide behind a false sense of security but I'll bite. That little bit you threw out there holds true all races in case you didn't know. I was simply speaking on a few decades of experience in the world with this subject.

Dresta
02-16-2015, 09:54 AM
Quite the opposite. Handsworth is in North Birmingham, South is where you'll find British white people.
yeh, that's what i meant because you said you associate more with your minority half, so when in Handsworth, the white half.

I know where Handsworth is: it's a ****ing shithole, and I hated going there, but tis where the gangsters who sell good coke were. Seen some strange shit in that place, seriously.

Used to live in Moseley.

SpanishACB
02-16-2015, 10:45 AM
cuz you put a little black in white and it's more black than white

didn't play with paint at school?

beastee
02-16-2015, 10:49 AM
In the NBA it is an identity crisis more than anything. The true stars of the league are African American - No denying that at all. So the Mixed players do not want to be seen as another white player for their "brand". White kids do not go out and buy signature kicks every 6 months, so the players want to tap into the right market for their product. Nothing wrong with that at all. Good business accumen actually.

In the corporate world it's the exact opposite, everyone is trying to be and act white.

Budadiiii
02-16-2015, 11:10 AM
In the NBA it is an identity crisis more than anything. The true stars of the league are African American - No denying that at all. So the Mixed players do not want to be seen as another white player for their "brand". White kids do not go out and buy signature kicks every 6 months, so the players want to tap into the right market for their product. Nothing wrong with that at all. Good business accumen actually.

In the corporate world it's the exact opposite, everyone is trying to be and act white.
:biggums:

Suburban white families hand the NBA more money than black families and it's not even remotely close.

1. More white people than black
2. Whites make more on average and can spend more on shoes and other merchandise

Mixed players acting "more black" has absolutely nothing to do with trying to tap into the right market and everything to do with the culture of basketball.

IMObjective
02-16-2015, 11:15 AM
There's goes that secret.

Tellin ass nigguh :facepalm
I think a lot of non black people watched blackish this season so the secret's already out.

GimmeThat
02-16-2015, 11:23 AM
Regarding to the subject specifically,

"Not all who wanders, are lost"
"time spent wasted, is not wasted time."

beastee
02-16-2015, 11:35 AM
:biggums:

Suburban white families hand the NBA more money than black families and it's not even remotely close.

1. More white people than black
2. Whites make more on average and can spend more on shoes and other merchandise

Mixed players acting "more black" has absolutely nothing to do with trying to tap into the right market and everything to do with the culture of basketball.
Only White kids buying bball sneakers are kids playing organized ball. The sneaker market is most definitely urban saturated. I was talking solely about shoes. Sure most season ticket holders are white, but the clothing and shoe lines are definitely geared towards urban demos. jerseys sell independently of anything else and the NBA and teams make that money, not the player. I heard more players talking about their "brand" this weekend than anything else.

Budadiiii
02-16-2015, 11:53 AM
Only White kids buying bball sneakers are kids playing organized ball. The sneaker market is most definitely urban saturated. I was talking solely about shoes. Sure most season ticket holders are white, but the clothing and shoe lines are definitely geared towards urban demos. jerseys sell independently of anything else and the NBA and teams make that money, not the player. I heard more players talking about their "brand" this weekend than anything else.
You know how many white kids buy LeBron/KD/Kobe clothing?

It doesn't matter. You said you think the reason for their personality is because they want to target a certain demographic. That's borderline ridiculous. They were who they were before ever stepping foot into the NBA. If anything, guys try to lose that "hood" behavior once they get into the NBA. People will buy their shoes regardless. You think they buy Jordan's because he acts a certain way and not because he's Jordan, the best player ever? Jordan grew up in the suburbs and was never "hood" or urban.

FLDFSU
02-16-2015, 12:02 PM
Will you people stop calling Steph Curry white :facepalm

beastee
02-16-2015, 12:57 PM
You know how many white kids buy LeBron/KD/Kobe clothing?

It doesn't matter. You said you think the reason for their personality is because they want to target a certain demographic. That's borderline ridiculous. They were who they were before ever stepping foot into the NBA. If anything, guys try to lose that "hood" behavior once they get into the NBA. People will buy their shoes regardless. You think they buy Jordan's because he acts a certain way and not because he's Jordan, the best player ever? Jordan grew up in the suburbs and was never "hood" or urban.
I am in advertising. It is my job to know the demographics of the consumers we are targeting. Much research has gone into reaching certain groups and there is quantifiable data behind purchasing patterns. The shoe companies most definitely groom their stars to put on certain personas (and or mold their style) to increase that. Also, here is a really great article about the shoe divide.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/08/the-racial-divide-on-sneakers/261256/

beastee
02-16-2015, 01:06 PM
Also the Jordan brand specifically has immense research into the demo and I really liked this quotation:

[QUOTE]the NBA is 82% African American and all but one endorsed athlete is
African American. Celebrity endorsement is a factor in creating legitimacy for the brand, and the African American culture is a large part of influencing its

Budadiiii
02-16-2015, 01:13 PM
Also the Jordan brand specifically has immense research into the demo and I really liked this quotation:
Basketball = African American culture. :confusedshrug:

They act the way they act because of the culture they grew up in, not because they're trying to sell shoes.

Which was the original argument anyways. White kids who play basketball are a part of the same culture and tend to act more black than the baseball playing kids.

I'm not really arguing with you about how they advertise their brand, I'm merely saying they were who they were before stepping into the league, mainly because they grew up in that culture. :confusedshrug:

beastee
02-16-2015, 01:15 PM
Basketball = African American culture. :confusedshrug:

They act the way they act because of the culture they grew up in, not because they're trying to sell shoes.

Which was the original argument anyways. White kids who play basketball are a part of the same culture and tend to act more black than the baseball playing kids.

I'm not really arguing with you about how they advertise their brand, I'm merely saying they were who they were before stepping into the league, mainly because they grew up in that culture. :confusedshrug:
Sure, we agree on most points. But the advertisers help nurture that culture and at a young age the players are influenced to embrace that. Since only 1 non african american player is endorsed...would you try and act white?

Budadiiii
02-16-2015, 01:22 PM
Sure, we agree on most points. But the advertisers help nurture that culture and at a young age the players are influenced to embrace that. Since only 1 non african american player is endorsed...would you try and act white?
I agree.

But hell, Kobe IS white. Dude is incredibly professional and very articulate. LeBron and Wade try to be that. Why is that? Why are they going further away from their roots? Maybe they want to be taken seriously instead of being known as Uncle Drew to sell sneakers.

beastee
02-16-2015, 01:26 PM
I agree.

But hell, Kobe IS white. Dude is incredibly professional and very articulate. LeBron and Wade try to be that. Why is that? Why are they going further away from their roots?
That is the Jordan Prototype. That is like the Holy grail of icon level. But I am not sure anyone will ever reach that amount of cultural greatness. The fact that his shoe brand is still the top selling is truly incredible. Lebron & Kobe are the closest, but I think timing was key for MJ. I am fascinated by sports marketing, it really is almost a science. :cheers: for the unbiased convo dude.

JohnnySic
02-16-2015, 01:47 PM
Because if it shows that you have some black then the world sees you as black. Well at least in the U.S. that's how it is.

sdot_thadon
02-16-2015, 01:57 PM
Because if it shows that you have some black then the world sees you as black. Well at least in the U.S. that's how it is.
You absolutely get it sir.

You Cant Ban Me
02-16-2015, 03:46 PM
shiiitttt good catch. and +1:facepalm
1st someone tells them about the er and a difference.Then they learn the secret handshake.Now they know about the nod.Wtf are they gonna find out about next...These white mfs won't stop til they take the whole culture

eeeeeebro
02-16-2015, 03:50 PM
my kid is mixed and she is white and i ask her if she is black or white she says look daddy we have same color skin. so she wants to be white IMO

Demon Lizard
02-16-2015, 03:58 PM
Probably because they are treated like black people.

freshperry
02-16-2015, 04:00 PM
I think it was jcole who had the perfact answer to your question. He said he cpuld just relate with blacks more cuz the "im half white card" just doesnt fly with the cops.