PDA

View Full Version : What's with James Haren's shoulder tape gimmick?

CavaliersFTW
02-15-2015, 10:36 PM
Doubt it's functional. He's trying to set a trend. :facepalm

tpols
02-15-2015, 10:38 PM
A Lotta players wear that kinesiology tape.. I've seen Butler and Anthony Davis with it too

You Cant Ban Me
02-15-2015, 10:39 PM
its called kinesio tape and it does help i just don't remember what it does

CavaliersFTW
02-15-2015, 10:40 PM
its called kinesio tape and it does help i just don't remember what it does
probably does the same shit a magnetic bracelet does

...placebo

RightTwoCensor
02-15-2015, 10:46 PM
Non-athletes make me cringe.

Get off your mom's couch and actually play a sport

I<3NBA
02-15-2015, 10:48 PM
It's not placebo. It's functional. The grip and the elastic tension pulls skin and muscles taut. Supposed to stabilize joint and muscle groups. It limits motion too, depending on how you tape it. So if a therapist wants to limit a certain motion by a patient, they'll use that tape.

Tried one myself. Works best on shoulders and ankles.

LONGTIME
02-15-2015, 10:49 PM
:facepalm at this shit.

CavaliersFTW
02-15-2015, 10:50 PM
Non-athletes make me cringe.

Get off your mom's couch and actually play a sport
I've been active in sports for years no way in hell that little piece of tape is going to do shit what are you Harden's PR agent? :oldlol:

Smook A.
He got an endorsement deal from KT Tape for it :confusedshrug:

Haymaker
probably does the same shit a magnetic bracelet does

...placebo

This

LONGTIME
02-15-2015, 10:51 PM
It's not placebo. It's functional. The grip and the elastic tension pulls skin and muscles taut. Supposed to stabilize joint and muscle groups. It limits motion too, depending on how you tape it. So if a therapist wants to limit a certain motion by a patient, they'll use that tape.

B.S. there's no credible evidence that it does anything.

CavaliersFTW
02-15-2015, 10:54 PM
He got an endorsement deal from KT Tape for it :confusedshrug:
Most believable answer so far :applause:

noob cake
02-15-2015, 10:55 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elastic_therapeutic_tape#Effectiveness

Basically no scientific explanation for any supposed effect. James Harden/Rockets organizational is rich enough to tape him up regardless of whether it works or not.

RightTwoCensor
02-15-2015, 11:00 PM
These neck beards need to play an actual organized game.

Just because the tape doesn't work on your thumbs when you're finish playing video games doesn't mean it doesn't work for real athletes.

CavaliersFTW
02-15-2015, 11:01 PM

Basically no scientific explanation for any supposed effect. James Harden/Rockets organizational is rich enough to tape him up regardless of whether it works or not.
Some researchers claim that what athletes are experiencing is a placebo effect.

Called it.

People trying act like I must not be an athlete :oldlol:

I have to tape the **** out of my ankles and fingers when I sprain them. They need to be locked the **** down. There is no way one little FLEXIBLE sliver of tape is going to do shit. Actual athletic tape has a legitimate function it totally eliminates specific movements/ranges of motion when applied properly, and is NOT flexible. When I saw that little sliver of tape on his shoulder I knew it had to be for marketing or something because it can't being doing anything to help or subtract from his normal range of motion. If it wasn't flexible like normal tape it would rip right off his arms in the course of a game so I know it's got to be flexible, therefore pointless unless functioning as placebo.

UK2K
02-15-2015, 11:10 PM

Lots of teams use lots of stuff.

Eastern medicine and shit.

They can afford to try everything.

UK2K
02-15-2015, 11:10 PM

Lots of teams use lots of stuff.

Eastern medicine and shit.

They can afford to try everything.

CavaliersFTW
02-15-2015, 11:11 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a2/Kinesiotaping.jpg/400px-Kinesiotaping.jpg

Doc: "Do you feel it?"

Patient: "Yeah I feel it!"

Doc: "Then it works!"

All anyone is going to feel is some minimal resistance a-la an underarmor "sleeve" or a wrist band or some shit... in the course of an athletic event when muscles are rapidly expanding and contracting sometimes at maximum force that shit does nothing you'd forget it's even there :oldlol:

RightTwoCensor
02-15-2015, 11:11 PM

Just because the tape doesn't work on your thumbs when you're finish playing video games doesn't mean it doesn't work for real athletes.
That ether! Future rep.

plowking
02-15-2015, 11:15 PM
I've had some for my shoulder, and it works.

just in the sense of when I put my shoulder in the stretched position, it would pull on it, feel tight, and I could rotate it back out into the natural position where it isn't compensating for other muscles.

I<3NBA
02-16-2015, 03:02 AM
one strip isn't gonna do much. you need to use more. and it needs to be layered.

tpols
02-16-2015, 03:21 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a2/Kinesiotaping.jpg/400px-Kinesiotaping.jpg

All anyone is going to feel is some minimal resistance a-la an underarmor "sleeve" or a wrist band or some shit... in the course of an athletic event when muscles are rapidly expanding and contracting sometimes at maximum force that shit does nothing you'd forget it's even there :oldlol:
If you stretch it far and apply, you can feel the resistance.. it isn't just mental.

Thunderfan86
02-16-2015, 03:28 AM

Nice leg!

AirFederer
02-16-2015, 03:39 AM
The tape is there to contain his flops so he doesn't break his neck

Jud
02-16-2015, 03:44 AM
The tape is there to contain his flops so he doesn't break his neck
How will that help when its on his deltoid :lol

tomtucker
02-16-2015, 03:50 AM

pulls skin , okay i belive that........but does it really pull muscles, are they not too deep under the skin to be pulled by tape ?

Kvnzhangyay
02-16-2015, 04:40 AM
Even if it is the placebo effect, psychologically the placebo effect DOES cause an actual effect...

funnystuff
02-16-2015, 04:42 AM
That ether! Future rep.
Texans...:facepalm

dreamwarrior
02-16-2015, 04:45 AM
All this tome i thought it was the stupidest tattoo id ever seen

OnFire
02-16-2015, 04:51 AM
If the company came on Shark Tank selling kenesio tape or whatever Mark Cuban would shit all over that snake oil shit.

I've seen a couple MMA fighters wear it fighting just some damn tape down the back of their legs lol.

no different than the deer antler guy selling those strips.

OnFire
02-16-2015, 04:52 AM
pulls skin , okay i belive that........but does it really pull muscles, are they not too deep under the skin to be pulled by tape ?

Athletes can now skip lengthy rehab and knee surguries for torn aCL.. we will just wrap some tape around thier knee to pull the ligaments together.

OmniStrife
02-16-2015, 04:55 AM
Just like his beard, to make his image / brand more distinguished I guess.

tomtucker
02-16-2015, 05:03 AM
Athletes can now skip lengthy rehab and knee surguries for torn aCL.. we will just wrap some tape around thier knee to pull the ligaments together.
:D

SugarHill
02-16-2015, 11:58 AM
So if it's a placebo and it works for him, where is this issue you have with it? That it looks goofy?

The Iron Fist
02-16-2015, 12:20 PM
Some researchers claim that what athletes are experiencing is a placebo effect.

Called it.

People trying act like I must not be an athlete :oldlol:

I have to tape the **** out of my ankles and fingers when I sprain them. They need to be locked the **** down. There is no way one little FLEXIBLE sliver of tape is going to do shit. Actual athletic tape has a legitimate function it totally eliminates specific movements/ranges of motion when applied properly, and is NOT flexible. When I saw that little sliver of tape on his shoulder I knew it had to be for marketing or something because it can't being doing anything to help or subtract from his normal range of motion. If it wasn't flexible like normal tape it would rip right off his arms in the course of a game so I know it's got to be flexible, therefore pointless unless functioning as placebo.
Inside the tape are little, tiny doctors waiting to penetrate the skin so they can get inside and do their work. It really works. http://filmjunk.com/images/weblog/2010/04/greengrassfantasticvoyage.jpg

warriorfan
02-28-2015, 08:28 AM
these have been around for years now, I have had one before when I hurt my shoulder, they do work.

YouGotServed
02-28-2015, 08:37 AM

Man, quality ether. :roll: Free RTC. Dude is hilarious.