PDA

View Full Version : 1987 NBA All Star- Adam Sivel should burn this footage

Showtime80'
02-16-2015, 02:35 PM
Wow! An actual all-star game with DEFENSE, contested lay ups and dunks, great ALL TIME players in their primes, post ups, mid range game, diving for loose balls and the final score was still 154 to 149 in OT with great exciting plays. Jordan, Magic, Ewing, Olajuwon, Chambers, Bird, Barkley, McHale, Thomas, Worthy, Aguirre, Wilkins etc ALL IN PRIME with Dr J, Moses and Kareem holding it down for the veterans. There was some pride involved in that game

But sure the league now is better.... Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-et-x3NutXA

jongib369
02-16-2015, 02:59 PM
http://youtu.be/qb-zAIX55Ys?t=8m7s

http://youtu.be/nN17x5up5n4

http://youtu.be/8RiBs9rhtVI

:cheers:

SHAQisGOAT
02-16-2015, 03:03 PM
:applause: :bowdown:

One of my favorite all-star games, so many great plays, so many amazing stars trying to win it, close game til the end...
Wish the asg was still this competitive, as well.

Chambers was killing it, Dr J put on a show in his last asg, I remember Zeke making a crazy spin pass to Laimbeer, then you got Blackman hitting clutch FT's and yelling "confidence, baby!"...

Showtime80'
02-16-2015, 03:38 PM
I largely blame the "me first" generation that came into the league in the early 90's, guys like Derek Coleman, Larry Johnson, Chris Webber, Jason Kidd, Christian Laetner, Jimmy Jackson , Penny, Joe Smith, Glen Robinson, Zo Morning, Jerry Stackhouse, Shawn Kemp, Shaq etc...

Those were supposed to be the guys that carried the torch, revitalize their teams and establish new rivalries and competitive fire that was so prevalent in the 80's, some of them did for a few years but nothing consistent and has not being present ever since. What happened then? The 90's got dominated by a bunch of 80's guys Jordan, Hakeem, Malone, Stockton, Ewing, Drexler and Barkley!

Now we have a 3-point shooting contest passing as an All-Star game. 33 ATTEMPTS! Jesus Christ

swagga
02-16-2015, 04:00 PM
best era. those teams were STACKED and they played not fcked around.

Kvnzhangyay
02-16-2015, 04:01 PM
I largely blame the "me first" generation that came into the league in the early 90's, guys like Derek Coleman, Larry Johnson, Chris Webber, Jason Kidd, Christian Laetner, Jimmy Jackson , Penny, Joe Smith, Glen Robinson, Zo Morning, Jerry Stackhouse, Shawn Kemp, Shaq etc...

Those were supposed to be the guys that carried the torch, revitalize their teams and establish new rivalries and competitive fire that was so prevalent in the 80's, some of them did for a few years but nothing consistent and has not being present ever since. What happened then? The 90's got dominated by a bunch of 80's guys Jordan, Hakeem, Malone, Stockton, Ewing, Drexler and Barkley!

Now we have a 3-point shooting contest passing as an All-Star game. 33 ATTEMPTS! Jesus Christ

Do you know why 3s are attempted so much now? Because the game now makes threes a much more efficient shot... so why wouldn't you shoot 3s?

Showtime80'
02-16-2015, 04:15 PM
The death of interior post play, not just from centers, has made the 3 pointer the more efficient option. Before the decay in post play teams played inside out and everything extended from that, it put more pressure on the defenses instead of bailing them out with long shots. Eliminate dominant post play and consistent mid range game and puff you're reduced to passing the ball around looking for a damn 3-pointer!

Also don't blame the zone for this. College basketball HAS ALWAYS allowed TRUE zones and they still managed to churn out great post players from the 1940's up until the mid 90's.

You know what happened? The "I wanna be like Mike" syndrome. After that even 7' footer wanted to play like guards and why wouldn't, post play is difficult not only on the body but the mind as well, you have to be mentally strong to battle constantly for position for 40 minutes a night not only on the offensive end but also be an anchor on defense as well.

Do you honestly think the 80's Celtics and Lakers would be shooting 20 3 pointers a game if they played today??? Hell no! They would still pound the ball down low to Kareem, Magic Worthy and Bird, Parish and McHale. That was the REAL difference in offense back then, teams have multiple options on the low block were today they have 1 at most and inconsistent at best .

CavaliersFTW
02-16-2015, 04:19 PM
Wow! An actual all-star game with DEFENSE, contested lay ups and dunks, great ALL TIME players in their primes, post ups, mid range game, diving for loose balls and the final score was still 154 to 149 in OT with great exciting plays. Jordan, Magic, Ewing, Olajuwon, Chambers, Bird, Barkley, McHale, Thomas, Worthy, Aguirre, Wilkins etc ALL IN PRIME with Dr J, Moses and Kareem holding it down for the veterans. There was some pride involved in that game

But sure the league now is better.... Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-et-x3NutXA
...when exactly did they start playing defense?

Demon Lizard
02-16-2015, 04:22 PM
Dunks are nice, but I really wish they did try the whole game, giving players actual bragging rights and making somebody do something great even more meaningful. I understand why they don't do this, but it would be awesome.

Deuce Bigalow
02-16-2015, 04:24 PM
Just a regular box score for a game played in the 60s.

ShawkFactory
02-16-2015, 04:24 PM
The era of competitiveness is gone. This isn't news.

Everyone loves everyone. That's why I actually loved seeing Dirk and Duncan out there last night.

Showtime80'
02-16-2015, 04:28 PM
From the opening tip actually. Tight man to man defense and contesting any progress to the basket with a few hard fouls mixed in to boot.

How many times did the defense in that game part like the red sea like it did regularly for the prima donnas in yesterday's joke of an exhibition?

One thing jumps out from the 87'game and that is PRIDE and MATURITY! that's what happens when stars stayed in college for more than one year and didn't jump from team to team every other year. Guys had a responsibility to represent their teams as well as their cities.

Good luck finding that now

swagga
02-16-2015, 04:31 PM

look at the game you fcking boxscore watcher idiot, they were playing at neck break pace the entire game. The defense was more than adequate and light years over the shit we get today.

what else can I expect from wiltstans but stats without any reasoning? :oldlol:

on an unrelated note, damn I forgot how mad athletic chambers was.

Showtime80'
02-16-2015, 04:37 PM
Like Mr McHale himself said a few years back "The league was better when we all hated each other!"

swagga
02-16-2015, 04:39 PM
they younger fans should really watch that game, it's a great opportunity to learn a different type of modern basketball.

L.Kizzle
02-16-2015, 04:45 PM

Other than a few guys, they weren't important enough the change the flow of the All-Star game. I noticed a change in the early 2000s, not the 90s.

Hell, it might have been that 2002 game with Pierce, Walker, ect. THe list of guys you posted, were still sharing the stage with Malone, Barkley, Drexler, Jordan, Ewing, Pippen, ect so they still coming at you.

Showtime80'
02-16-2015, 04:52 PM
I agree with that L.Kizzle! The 90's still produced some very good all star games.

My reference to that generation was the fact they were supposed to eventually REPLACE and carry on the tradition towards the 2000's the way the 80's guys did. That never really happened with those 90's guys

Kblaze8855
02-16-2015, 05:09 PM

You honestly cant see the difference between the effort in that video and last night with guys literally watching people dribble into the lane?

They were playing around like a backyard game with kids not keeping score.

CavaliersFTW
02-16-2015, 05:16 PM
look at the game you fcking boxscore watcher idiot, they were playing at neck break pace the entire game. The defense was more than adequate and light years over the shit we get today.

what else can I expect from wiltstans but stats without any reasoning? :oldlol:

on an unrelated note, damn I forgot how mad athletic chambers was.

You honestly cant see the difference between the effort in that video and last night with guys literally watching people dribble into the lane?

I didn't watch it yet I'm just giving him a hard time I'll watch it tonight :lol :cheers:

Rab
02-16-2015, 05:36 PM
I still have the 1988 ASG on tape in my house where Jordan scored 40 and took MVP in Chicago. That game went a long way in developing my love for the NBA. It was a totally different feel to the game then how they play it today.

I still watch the ASG today, but it's nearly unwatchable. A few good highlight plays and about 5 mins of real competition. Some of the records they showed like all time leading ASG scorer don't hold much water to me (or because they are just ASG records) because there will be a slew of players that will break it simply because of the way the game is played. Uncontested layup and 3's the entire game makes it easy for any player to score 20-30 a game. Hell, when Kyle Korver is one of the leading scorers in an ASG you know there is zero effort.

Whatever, it's an ASG and I don't expect they're going to go all our for 48 mins, but it's becomes ridiculous.

WillC
02-16-2015, 06:06 PM
I own every All-Star Game since 1984 on DVD (and have seen numerous older games as well).

Last night's was the worst All-Star Game I've ever seen. The lack of defense and ridiculous amount of three-pointers ruined the game.

The games always featured much better defense, at least until the mid-1990s.

The 1980s games were particularly well fought defensively.

andgar923
02-16-2015, 06:42 PM
There was more defense played in the first 5 minutes of that game, than there was all last night.

Now.... i like free flowing all star games, I'm not one of those old geezers that wants hardcore defense and plays being ran all game long. But c'mon there's gotta be a limit of how free wheeling they can play.

I've better defense played in a 5th grade game during recess.

Hey Yo
02-16-2015, 07:03 PM
The death of interior post play, not just from centers, has made the 3 pointer the more efficient option. Before the decay in post play teams played inside out and everything extended from that, it put more pressure on the defenses instead of bailing them out with long shots. Eliminate dominant post play and consistent mid range game and puff you're reduced to passing the ball around looking for a damn 3-pointer!

Also don't blame the zone for this. College basketball HAS ALWAYS allowed TRUE zones and they still managed to churn out great post players from the 1940's up until the mid 90's.

You know what happened? The "I wanna be like Mike" syndrome. After that even 7' footer wanted to play like guards and why wouldn't, post play is difficult not only on the body but the mind as well, you have to be mentally strong to battle constantly for position for 40 minutes a night not only on the offensive end but also be an anchor on defense as well.

Do you honestly think the 80's Celtics and Lakers would be shooting 20 3 pointers a game if they played today??? Hell no! They would still pound the ball down low to Kareem, Magic Worthy and Bird, Parish and McHale. That was the REAL difference in offense back then, teams have multiple options on the low block were today they have 1 at most and inconsistent at best .
You can't really blame them though.

Players still weren't making that much money back then and after seeing MJ getting a bunch of endorsements (on top of salary) for being a great one man show, why not try to do the same, win or lose?

JimmyMcAdocious
02-16-2015, 08:23 PM
Which is the allstar game where Starbury and Iverson were trading baskets with Kobe? Like a 20 pt 4th quarter comeback for the East.

At least that one had a sense of pride and competitiveness down the stretch. I remember Jordan's last one, those guys were definitely trying at the end and into OT.

It started to get bad in the 00s, but it was still mildly entertaining. Problem is that it somehow evolved past that into no longer trying for the entire game. It's been like that the last 2-3 years and last night was the lowest form. Not sure how it can get much worse. No longer crossing halfcourt to play defense?

StrongLurk
02-16-2015, 08:54 PM
They definitely played more defense in this game, but re watching these older legends from time to time really makes them more human than what you remember. Didn't see much of a talent gap from this game and what the NBA has been over the last 10 years or so.

andgar923
02-16-2015, 08:59 PM
They definitely played more defense in this game, but re watching these older legends from time to time really makes them more human than what you remember. Didn't see much of a talent gap from this game and what the NBA has been over the last 10 years or so.

The gap isn't so much in their individual play per se, but how the game itself is played.

Im sure there are many things that today's players do that are better than past eras (and vice versa). So their individual talent in a way cancels out.

It's the 'team' aspect and how the game in general is played. Player's mentality which is HUGE.

StrongLurk
02-16-2015, 09:02 PM
The gap isn't so much in their individual play per se, but how the game itself is played.

Im sure there are many things that today's players do that are better than past eras (and vice versa). So their individual talent in a way cancels out.

It's the 'team' aspect and how the game in general is played. Player's mentality which is HUGE.

Okay, I actually completely agree with this. It's been tiring constantly hearing how much better the players were in the 80's and early 90's than now. The general public just weren't exposed to the amount of basketball play we are, so when awesome things happened back then it took on legend status since you couldnt watch it a million times on YouTube after.

OldSchoolBBall
02-16-2015, 09:12 PM

It's a night and day difference if you watch the '85-'93 ASG's and then watch the '08-'15 ASG's. Last night's might have been the worst of them all. Just a layup line, no one making even a passing effort at defense. Terrible.

andgar923
02-16-2015, 09:15 PM
Okay, I actually completely agree with this. It's been tiring constantly hearing how much better the players were in the 80's and early 90's than now. The general public just weren't exposed to the amount of basketball play we are, so when awesome things happened back then it took on legend status since you couldnt watch it a million times on YouTube after.

I agree, some of the amazing things weren't as consumed as rapidly and viewed by as many people as they are today. So when it happens it becomes heightened.

Also the way the game is played today allows for more highlights of 'of a specific kind' due to the rule changes.

Games didn't have as many lobs like today, not as many long distance shots, but it doesn't mean players couldn't catch lobs from half court, or do backboard passes for dunks. It just wasn't as common because the game was different.

But give them free reign and this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H34NJm33Crw&spfreload=10&ab_channel=papaluca123

Lob city

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baK-2UwXX2A&spfreload=10&ab_channel=indigohjones

Lob after lob, dunk after dunk. You have Nique at 6'8 shaking and crossing over people for dunks, no look pass lobs, Reggie Miller dunking, breakaway reverse dunks, 360 layups around defenders etc.etc.

SHAQisGOAT
02-16-2015, 10:30 PM
How about ten years earlier, the 1977 NBA All-Star Game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsJG5ek5fkI

One of my favorite ASG's too, plenty of all-time greats, amazing plays, teamball and defense, extremely competitive game that ended up with a one-point difference, coaches really trying their best in crunch time... And how about the physicality?! Just crazy :eek: Especially compared to nowadays, even at the ASG then.

I won't say they were trying like a real game but they weren't very far off.

I agree, some of the amazing things weren't as consumed as rapidly and viewed by as many people as they are today. So when it happens it becomes heightened.

Also the way the game is played today allows for more highlights of 'of a specific kind' due to the rule changes.

Games didn't have as many lobs like today, not as many long distance shots, but it doesn't mean players couldn't catch lobs from half court, or do backboard passes for dunks. It just wasn't as common because the game was different.

Lob city

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baK-2UwXX2A&spfreload=10&ab_channel=indigohjones

Lob after lob, dunk after dunk. You have Nique at 6'8 shaking and crossing over people for dunks, no look pass lobs, Reggie Miller dunking, breakaway reverse dunks, 360 layups around defenders etc.etc.

Well said.

Also really liked those Magic's Mid-Summer Nights all-star games...

They didn't try as hard as in NBA ASG's so you'd get to see more highlight plays like Zeke throwing alley-oops off the bounce to Nique:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Fbz-ehxdA

Even had dunking displays with Jordan showing off some of his best dunks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DshipCyQpxw

And one of the most awesome things, Bird playing alongside Magic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kruHBD5HaY0&t=4m14s

Round Mound
02-16-2015, 10:33 PM

The same thing i`ve said many times :applause:

The 1987 All Star Game Is The Best Ever IMO.

Round Mound
02-16-2015, 10:36 PM

OldSchoolBBall
02-16-2015, 10:52 PM

The 1987 All Star Game Is The Best Ever IMO.

'87 and '93 were the best I've seen, but all of the 80's and early-mid 90's ASG's were great imo.

Round Mound
02-16-2015, 10:53 PM
'87 and '93 were the best I've seen, but all of the 80's and early-mid 90's ASG's were great imo.

Yup...80s and early 90s :bowdown:

Showtime80'
02-16-2015, 10:57 PM
Try the 1984 game as well! Another nail bitter with Isaiah Thomas winning MVP giving the NBA a prelude of what was to come later that spring in the first round playoff against the Bernard King Knicks

Leviathon1121
02-17-2015, 01:50 AM

Lob city

That Magic's Midsummer night game was a fun watch, Dominique's power dunks are simply unrivaled, dude was a beast.