PDA

View Full Version : Egads.. Sam Hinkie of the 76ers is a bit....

gts
02-16-2015, 09:18 PM
Long article but well written, talks about how deep into the numbers game the 76ers are invested with Hinkie at the controls

more than a bit intrusive if you ask me, can't imagine people like living under this type of scrutiny

examples

"From day one, Hinkie has had every player wear a fatigue-tracking GPS device, made by an Australian company called Catapult, at practice. The team would soon measure hydration and, thanks to take-home monitors, sleep."

"Two years into Brown's four-year contract, Hinkie has handed his coach a staff of more than a dozen, with individuals responsible for everything from offense and defense, to analytics, to sports science, to video, to strength and conditioning. One basketball-ops staffer, Lance "Doc" Pearson, has a Ph.D. in cognitive and neural systems from Boston University and degrees in mathematics, computer science and philosophy from the University of Kentucky. Another guy, who teaches team-building part time, is a Navy SEAL."

"After every game, a squad of as many as eight staffers, under the direction of Pearson and assistant coach Vance Walberg, constructs something called an Effort Chart. Every Sixer, on every possession, is graded on five complex, proprietary criteria. On offense, for instance, the team wants to reward pace, so staffers time a player's first three steps when a miss is recovered. On defense, they'll recognize accomplishments such as contested shots, tips and deflections. Report cards, linked to video for review, are announced to the team"

"Hinkie, as part of his drive to measure everything, tracks each shot his players take, not just in games but also shootarounds and practices. "You can't hide," Richardson says. Some of the tallying is by hand; some of it is noted off video. Brown uses the data to see which players "are investing time into development," he says, and doles out playing time and in-game privileges accordingly. "It's crazy," Noel says. "They'll tell me what my free throw percentage is in practice. And I'm like, 'What?!'"

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12318808/the-philadelphia-76ers-radical-guide-winning

PJR
02-16-2015, 10:44 PM
Yeah, some of that shit is just too much. This dude Hinkie is a square.

poido123
02-16-2015, 10:56 PM
I'm Not sure how this creates an environment where stars or philly players would want to either play or join this organization.

I mean, who wants to be timed how long they Crap?

iamgine
02-16-2015, 11:00 PM
Hard workers would love this.

GOBB
02-16-2015, 11:11 PM
http://s11.postimg.org/cxgengihv/hinkie_witness.png

Dr.J4ever
02-16-2015, 11:17 PM
Long article but well written, talks about how deep into the numbers game the 76ers are invested with Hinkie at the controls

more than a bit intrusive if you ask me, can't imagine people like living under this type of scrutiny

examples

"From day one, Hinkie has had every player wear a fatigue-tracking GPS device, made by an Australian company called Catapult, at practice. The team would soon measure hydration and, thanks to take-home monitors, sleep."

"Two years into Brown's four-year contract, Hinkie has handed his coach a staff of more than a dozen, with individuals responsible for everything from offense and defense, to analytics, to sports science, to video, to strength and conditioning. One basketball-ops staffer, Lance "Doc" Pearson, has a Ph.D. in cognitive and neural systems from Boston University and degrees in mathematics, computer science and philosophy from the University of Kentucky. Another guy, who teaches team-building part time, is a Navy SEAL."

"After every game, a squad of as many as eight staffers, under the direction of Pearson and assistant coach Vance Walberg, constructs something called an Effort Chart. Every Sixer, on every possession, is graded on five complex, proprietary criteria. On offense, for instance, the team wants to reward pace, so staffers time a player's first three steps when a miss is recovered. On defense, they'll recognize accomplishments such as contested shots, tips and deflections. Report cards, linked to video for review, are announced to the team"

"Hinkie, as part of his drive to measure everything, tracks each shot his players take, not just in games but also shootarounds and practices. "You can't hide," Richardson says. Some of the tallying is by hand; some of it is noted off video. Brown uses the data to see which players "are investing time into development," he says, and doles out playing time and in-game privileges accordingly. "It's crazy," Noel says. "They'll tell me what my free throw percentage is in practice. And I'm like, 'What?!'"

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12318808/the-philadelphia-76ers-radical-guide-winning

Thanks for sharing.

Sam is a mystery guy in Philly. Knowledgeable 76er fans are fully supportive of his analytics ways and player development program, but don't be surprised if the 76ers are challenging for an 8th seed in the East next season.

If Embiid is healthy, he will join athletic and long armed defenders Noel, Grant, Mcdaniels, MCW, Wrotten, and 2 more 1 st rounders(one top 5 pick) and a slew of 2nd rounders. In a weak East where a young but flawed Bucks team are challenging, the 76ers could be in the mix.

JtotheIzzo
02-16-2015, 11:18 PM
All that tanking for a tranny PG and a rail thin 4 and a broken down big.

Time to start winning, maybe Saric is the guy, but its diminishing returns in Philly now.

Dr.J4ever
02-16-2015, 11:29 PM
All that tanking for a tranny PG and a rail thin 4 and a broken down big.

Time to start winning, maybe Saric is the guy, but its diminishing returns in Philly now.

Some of what was being said about Embiid today was also being said about Noel last season. After resting for a year, Noel has been a defensive revelation, and more importantly, has been injury free playing almost all games.

Doctors have said there is no reason that Embiid can't have a long and successful NBA career.

poido123
02-16-2015, 11:35 PM
http://s11.postimg.org/cxgengihv/hinkie_witness.png

:roll: :roll:

Eric Cartman
02-16-2015, 11:39 PM
This guy surely loves analytics.

Hell he probably created just to have something to jack off at night.

gts
02-16-2015, 11:42 PM
One note that I forgot to add/share is their philosophy on length being a priority.. it's an interesting approach

Eric Cartman
02-16-2015, 11:52 PM
length being a priority

That's what she said.

el gringos
02-17-2015, 12:43 AM
Thanks for sharing.

Sam is a mystery guy in Philly. Knowledgeable 76er fans are fully supportive of his analytics ways and player development program, but don't be surprised if the 76ers are challenging for an 8th seed in the East next season.

If Embiid is healthy, he will join athletic and long armed defenders Noel, Grant, Mcdaniels, MCW, Wrotten, and 2 more 1 st rounders(one top 5 pick) and a slew of 2nd rounders. In a weak East where a young but flawed Bucks team are challenging, the 76ers could be in the mix.
I'd be more surprised to see then challenge for a playoff spot than I would be to see them trade mcw and wroten, draft a big and a euro that won't come and tank another season or 2

I<3NBA
02-17-2015, 05:44 AM
One note that I forgot to add/share is their philosophy on length being a priority.. it's an interesting approach
they're interested in long wingspans more than they are about shooting.

i can understand the philosophy. shooting can be taught, but length cannot be learned.

i would be very much interested to see how the Sixers turn out in the next few years.

maybe they'll be Thunder or Hawks in the next few years and people who laugh at analytics will conced that it does work.