PDA

View Full Version : Who has been the better the player: Pau or Amare?

Hyman
02-17-2015, 10:48 AM
Who do you think has been the better player?

Are they HOFs?

keep-itreal
02-17-2015, 10:52 AM
:roll:

Richesly
02-17-2015, 10:54 AM
Amare when he first joined the Knicks and last 4 years on the suns were better than any season Pau had.

However, the last 2 years definitely Pau.

swagga
02-17-2015, 11:07 AM
Amare when he first joined the Knicks and last 4 years on the suns were better than any season Pau had.

what's your age son? 2009-2010 pau was a beast, top 5-7 player in the league.

T_L_P
02-17-2015, 11:17 AM
Pau..

09-10 Pau was better than any version of Stat in the Playoffs, which is ultimately all that really matters.

Jlamb47
02-17-2015, 11:24 AM
what's your age son? 2009-2010 pau was a beast, top 5-7 player in the league.

Pau Gasol

and he was not top 5-7 in the league in 09 :facepalm

Lebron
Kobe
Wade
Howard
C Paul
Duncan
Nowitzki
Ming
Roy
Parker

sejoon101
02-17-2015, 11:30 AM
Pau, ARGUABLY was 1A 1B, depending on your Kobe hatred/love, the most important player on the Lakers squad during their 2 peat..

Amar'e was unfukwidable offensively, with an ACTUAL post game during his stint with the Suns. I remember Nash Post game interview after they got knocked out by the Lakers, saying at first, he didn't really feel confident they can beat the Lakers squad, but seeing how insane Amar'e was when he was in his focus mode, they could actually take out the Lakers squad...

It boils down to preference, and what your squad's str/weaknesses are ATM.

Personally, I'd take prime Amar'e, in TODAYS game, because he could make some magical things happen in the post. Sure, he's a liability on defense, and Pau is the more polished all around player, but say... prime Amar'e on the Memphis squad??? HNNNGGG

tpols
02-17-2015, 11:41 AM
Pau..

09-10 Pau was better than any version of Stat in the Playoffs, which is ultimately all that really matters.
They played in the playoffs that year head to head..

25/6 53FG vs 20/7 57FG

they played to a draw basically.. Amare followed that up with being an mvp candidate the first half of the next season until Melo came and took his shine (and the ball) away.

Jlamb47
02-17-2015, 11:50 AM
in 09 per 36 min Parker was putting up
23 3 7 on 50% shooting, he was a beast that year

Also put up 28 and 7 on 54% shooting in the playoffs even tho it was only 5 games

navy
02-17-2015, 11:53 AM
Pau..

Amare was a straight beast in the playoffs.

T_L_P

Also put up 28 and 7 on 54% shooting in the playoffs even tho it was only 5 games

Yeah, deleted my post because I thought you were talking about both 09 and 10 (combined).

I can see 09 Parker. He was very good in the Playoffs that year too (unlike most years).

09-10 Gasol is better than 09-10 Parker without question...and Duncan, too, if I'm being honest...and a couple others you listed (you might feel the same though as you were just talking about 09).

swagga
Pau Gasol

Lebron
Kobe
Wade
Howard
C Paul
Duncan
Nowitzki
Ming
Roy
Parker

son pau gasol was in the conversation for the best PF in the L, right there with nowitzki/duncan/kg. Check his head to heads (including playoffs). Also pau was a very decent defender, he was quicker back then, so his length was being put to good use. He played dwight 1v1 in the 2009 finals too, one of the big reasons the lakers won.

LOL @roy/ming/parker. Ming is understandable in theory, when healthy his impact was ridiculous. but unfortunately yao was always so injured. Roy was a clutch skilled mofo, i'll give you that.

The only guys that were consensus better players were lebron/wade/kobe/howard .. and we saw in the playoffs that he was 1a/1b with kobe.

So it's completely arguable... check some of the threads from back then. Many people (and lebron trolls) were seriously arguing that he was leading the lakers.

swagga
02-17-2015, 11:55 AM

1. small sample size.
2. parker doesn't give you rebounding nor big man defense, which are faaar more important in today's game. Sincerely, parker was very good but he never was a top 5 player.

ImKobe
02-17-2015, 11:56 AM
Pau, ARGUABLY was 1A 1B, depending on your Kobe hatred/love, the most important player on the Lakers squad during their 2 peat..

Amar'e was unfukwidable offensively, with an ACTUAL post game during his stint with the Suns. I remember Nash Post game interview after they got knocked out by the Lakers, saying at first, he didn't really feel confident they can beat the Lakers squad, but seeing how insane Amar'e was when he was in his focus mode, they could actually take out the Lakers squad...

Personally, I'd take prime Amar'e, in TODAYS game, because he could make some magical things happen in the post. Sure, he's a liability on defense, and Pau is the more polished all around player, but say... prime Amar'e on the Memphis squad??? HNNNGGG

Please. Pau was a 2nd option on offense during the title days. Just because he was very efficient in his role (being fed the ball by Kobe, the put-backs) doesn't mean he was arguably the guy lol...cmon now. Kobe took the burden of the offense and ran the whole thing, including being a leader and teaching other guys on that team the system.

Pau is obviously the more accomplished player, but Amare pre-injuries was a bigger force because of his athleticism, Pau is by far a more skilled player and actually plays something that resembles defense while Amare never did.

TheMarkMadsen
02-17-2015, 11:58 AM

there's no argumenet for 1a 1b when Kobe is dropping 30 a game and Pau is putting up 18

:facepalm :facepalm

ArbitraryWater
02-17-2015, 12:02 PM
Pau Gasol

Lebron
Kobe
Wade
Howard
C Paul
Duncan
Nowitzki
Ming
Roy
Parker

Duncan was NOT generally regarded higher than Gasol in 2009... and Ming/Roy/Parker :biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

This dude desperately tried to find 10 players to have Pau outside of it.

Jlamb47
02-17-2015, 12:02 PM
son pau gasol was in the conversation for the best PF in the L, right there with nowitzki/duncan/kg. Check his head to heads (including playoffs). Also pau was a very decent defender, he was quicker back then, so his length was being put to good use. He played dwight 1v1 in the 2009 finals too, one of the big reasons the lakers won.

LOL @roy/ming/parker. Ming is understandable in theory, when healthy his impact was ridiculous. but unfortunately yao was always so injured. Roy was a clutch skilled mofo, i'll give you that.

The only guys that were consensus better players were lebron/wade/kobe/howard .. and we saw in the playoffs that he was 1a/1b with kobe.

So it's completely arguable... check some of the threads from back then. Many people (and lebron trolls) were seriously arguing that he was leading the lakers.

I hear you brotha, and good explanation. I definetly read all the Lebron trolls saying Pau was better, and i think it was due to win shares. But Kobe was the drive of that team.

in 2009 Finals kobe put up

32.4ppg 5.6rpg 7.4apg 1.4spg 1.4bpg <--- Kobe str8 beasted obviously playing both ends

Pau had 18.6 ppg 9.2rpg 2.2apg 0.8stp 1.8bpg

thats not 1a and 1b IMO

People always say Kobe wasnt 1a 1b to Shaq but his stats and impact was alot closer to shaqs then Pau was to Kobe.

TheMarkMadsen
02-17-2015, 12:04 PM
Duncan was NOT generally regarded higher than Gasol in 2009... and Ming/Roy/Parker :biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

except that Duncan was..

Duncan was 2nd team all nba

as was Ming & Roy

Parker was 3rd.

Jlamb47
02-17-2015, 12:04 PM

I dont discuss basketball with you because you dont give credit. Your only a Lebron stan trolling and discredit the great to make your favorite player look like GOD. 2/5

ALSO LOOK AT THE MVP RATING THAT YEAR, PAU GASOL WAS NO WHERE NEAR TO BE FOUND WHILE THOSE PLAYERS I MENTION WERE. SO IDK HOW PAU IS BETTER. YES THERE CAN BE AN ARGUEMENT BUT HE OBVIOUSLY DIDNT IMPACT HIS TEAM AS SOME OTHERS. DUNCAN DESTROYS PAU IDK WHAT BASKETBALL YOU WATCH. DUNCAN DEFENSE ALONE HELPS HIM, AND HE PUT UP BETTER STATS.

Jlamb47
02-17-2015, 12:08 PM
Kd and Carmelo has a discussion as well that year. and Paul pierce

ImKobe
02-17-2015, 12:09 PM
there's no argumenet for 1a 1b when Kobe is dropping 30 a game and Pau is putting up 18

or when Kobe takes 20+ shots plus is the main playmaker on the team vs Pau taking 12-15 :oldlol:.

ArbitraryWater
02-17-2015, 12:17 PM
I dont discuss basketball with you because you dont give credit. Your only a Lebron stan trolling and discredit the great to make your favorite player look like GOD. 2/5

ALSO LOOK AT THE MVP RATING THAT YEAR, PAU GASOL WAS NO WHERE NEAR TO BE FOUND WHILE THOSE PLAYERS I MENTION WERE. SO IDK HOW PAU IS BETTER. YES THERE CAN BE AN ARGUEMENT BUT HE OBVIOUSLY DIDNT IMPACT HIS TEAM AS SOME OTHERS. DUNCAN DESTROYS PAU IDK WHAT BASKETBALL YOU WATCH. DUNCAN DEFENSE ALONE HELPS HIM, AND HE PUT UP BETTER STATS.

Gasol was probably better than Duncan in '09 and '10.... lol at Parker/Roy/Ming though :lol

sejoon101
02-17-2015, 12:17 PM
Please. Pau was a 2nd option on offense during the title days. Just because he was very efficient in his role (being fed the ball by Kobe, the put-backs) doesn't mean he was arguably the guy lol...cmon now. Kobe took the burden of the offense and ran the whole thing, including being a leader and teaching other guys on that team the system.

Pau is obviously the more accomplished player, but Amare pre-injuries was a bigger force because of his athleticism, Pau is by far a more skilled player and actually plays something that resembles defense while Amare never did.

Well, I, personally, think Kobe was hands down the alpha of the team, and was, the most important part of the Lakers 2 peat. Sheer offensive fire power, and motivation for the team.

However, you guys are underrating Pau greatly in the aspect of the "big man" part of the game. Pau was putting up a healthy 19-10 in the playoffs during the 2 peat run when I say 1A 1B, I'm not talking just scoring or being the leader of the team.

Apart from stats, there are so much more to the game than stats nor scoring. There is the unseen "impact" of the game that simply doesn't show up on the stat sheet. That is why I rank Dirk so high on the all time list, and consider him the most deadly offensive threat, because he fukks up the whole defense on the other squad.

Pau was shooting nearly 60% on the first 2peat championship run, and if you watched the game closely, he was doing all the dirty work on the offensive end (he isn't a really good defensive player) and on the second run, his FG% plummeted to mid 50's because the teams knew how much of a threat he was on the offensive end.

When I say 1A 1B, I'm not talking about first or second scoring option, I am talking about the importance of the team in being successful.

For instance, even though Billups, Rip Hamilton was 1A 1B in offensive arsenal and scoring options, I consider Ben Wallace and Billiups/Rip Hamilton the 1A 1B in the championship run in the 04 finals, simply because Ben Wallace was just as important as Billups and Rip in the finals, in leading team to victory.

HurricaneKid
02-17-2015, 12:18 PM
I hear you brotha, and good explanation. I definetly read all the Lebron trolls saying Pau was better, and i think it was due to win shares. But Kobe was the drive of that team.

in 2009 Finals kobe put up

32.4ppg 5.6rpg 7.4apg 1.4spg 1.4bpg <--- Kobe str8 beasted obviously playing both ends

Pau had 18.6 ppg 9.2rpg 2.2apg 0.8stp 1.8bpg

thats not 1a and 1b IMO

People always say Kobe wasnt 1a 1b to Shaq but his stats and impact was alot closer to shaqs then Pau was to Kobe.

No one EVER says anything about 08-09 (or shouldn't if they had a head on their shoulders. They are ALWAYS talking abuot 09-10. Kobe fell off pretty hard after winning his first "alpha" ring without Shaq. Gasol was every bit his equal the following year.

ImKobe
02-17-2015, 12:20 PM
Well, I, personally, think Kobe was hands down the alpha of the team, and was, the most important part of the Lakers 2 peat. Sheer offensive fire power, and motivation for the team.

However, you guys are underrating Pau greatly in the aspect of the "big man" part of the game. Pau was putting up a healthy 19-10 in the playoffs during the 2 peat run when I saw 1A 1B, I'm not talking just scoring or being the leader of the team.

Apart from stats, there are so much more to the game than stats nor scoring. There is the unseen "impact" of the game that simply doesn't show up on the stat sheet. That is why I rank Dirk so high on the all time list, and consider him the most deadly offensive threat, because he fukks up the whole defense on the other squad.

Pau was shooting nearly 60% on the first 2peat championship run, and if you watched the game closely, he was doing all the dirty work on the offensive end (he isn't a really good defensive player) and on the second run, his FG% plummeted to mid 50's because the teams knew how much of a threat he was on the offensive end.

When I saw 1A 1B, I'm not talking about first or second scoring option, I am talking about the importance of the player in being successful.

For instance, even though Billups, Rip Hamilton was 1A 1B in offensive arsenal and scoring options, I consider Ben Wallace and Billiups/Rip Hamilton the 1A 1B in the championship run in the 04 finals, simply because Ben Wallace was just as important as Billups and Rip in the finals, in leading team to victory.

I see where you're getting at. Pau to me was the glue that held it together, especially in 2010.

HurricaneKid
02-17-2015, 12:24 PM

Pau led a Championship team in PER, WS, Postseason WS, Finals WS, Rebs, Bl, and shot .593TS%.

Amare got suspended for the biggest game of his career and never made the Finals.

Pau is a HoFer.

ArbitraryWater
02-17-2015, 12:26 PM
I see where you're getting at. Pau to me was the glue that held it together, especially in 2010.

exactly.. you're the same guy that made those arguments for Pau for FMVP both years :cheers:

sejoon101
02-17-2015, 12:27 PM

Glad to see a objective Laker fan on the board :cheers:

Jlamb47
02-17-2015, 12:34 PM
Gasol was probably better than Duncan in '09 and '10.... lol at Parker/Roy/Ming though :lol

Parker Roy and Ming all finished higher in MVP voting that year which shows they were more impactful

Now prove to me how Duncan was not better in 2009??

PER 36

Pau Gasol
18.3 PPG
9.4 RPG
3.4 APG
.6 SPG
1.0 BPG

Tim Duncan
20.7 PPG
11.4 RPG
3.8 APG
.5 SPG
1.8 BPG

Duncan defense > Pau defense and Duncan is first option while Pau was not
Pau Gasol wasnt touchin Duncan in 09 and yo momma knows it
Your trying too hard to make Pau better than Kobe cuz your a Kobe hater.
Kobe > Lebron so your mad, its okay bud
2/5 isnt a winning finals record

ArbitraryWater
02-17-2015, 12:42 PM
Parker Roy and Ming all finished higher in MVP voting that year which shows they were more impactful

Now prove to me how Duncan was not better in 2009??

PER 36

Pau Gasol
18.3 PPG
9.4 RPG
3.4 APG
.6 SPG
1.0 BPG

Tim Duncan
20.7 PPG
11.4 RPG
3.8 APG
.5 SPG
1.8 BPG

Duncan defense > Pau defense and Duncan is first option while Pau was not
Pau Gasol wasnt touchin Duncan in 09 and yo momma knows it
Your trying too hard to make Pau better than Kobe cuz your a Kobe hater.
Kobe > Lebron so your mad, its okay bud
2/5 isnt a winning finals record

So MVP's matter now?

Well, agreed, but LeBron > Duncan/Kobe settled here aswell.. :cheers:

bdreason
02-17-2015, 12:43 PM
Gimme Pau. Better passer and better defender.

Jlamb47
02-17-2015, 12:48 PM
So MVP's matter now?

Well, agreed, but LeBron > Duncan/Kobe settled here aswell.. :cheers:

Very correct Lebron > Kobe and Duncan in 09 but look who took the CHIP
KOBE BRYANT

Rings matter more then MVP

ImKobe
02-17-2015, 12:53 PM
exactly.. you're the same guy that made those arguments for Pau for FMVP both years :cheers:

I remember making some arguments for Pau in 2010, but 2009 Kobe was MVP no doubt, his numbers were spectacular (I know someone is going to come at me with the 43% thing, but he dominated the series while mostly jacking up jumpers and putting up 8 assists in every game but one). 2010 is a close call but Kobe had the higher gamescore and played much better on the road while Pau was slightly better at home.

I believe that Kobe was the true alpha/leader/#1 guy on the 3 straight Finals years, but Pau was very good in his role as well, 2010 Pau to me was comparable to what Kobe did in 2001 Playoffs alongside Shaq in terms of getting the most out of the role he was in.